PDA

View Full Version : M16 A2 Clone

Hammer_Man
09-15-18, 21:50
First off I want to address what many of you may be asking, and that is why?? I have serious nostalgia for this weapon, as it is what I was issued in basic training, and my current Reserve unit still has these in their arms room. I've always enjoyed shooting the M16, as I like the sight picture, soft recoil impulse, and overall balance of the weapon. Are there more modern designs, sure there are, but I find the M16 a much more enjoyable weapon to shoot than the M4. When I started this build, I was a little discouraged by the lack of readily available parts, but after searching the internet I found the following pieces for my build:

-Fulton Armory upper (came fully assembled)
-Windham Weaponry 20" govt. profile barrel
-Windham Weaponry A2 flash hider, and crush washer
-Windham Weaponry gas tube
-Knights M5 RAS (eBay find, got it for a steal)
-Knights vertical foregrip (clearance sale at Brownell's)
-Colt Delta ring assembly
-Colt M16 bcg
-Colt lower parts kit
-DPMS A2 stock kit (came with rifle spring and buffer)
-Redi-Mag
-Dbal A3 (robbed from my M4 build)

I bought a Mega forged "Gator" lower receiver from a local gun store (Ready Gunner, Orem Utah). I wanted this specific lower because of its' excellent fit and finish, and as an added bonus Ready Gunner had them marked 20% off. I apologize for the countertop pictures, but my phone doesn't take very good pictures outside. I test fired 40 rounds of Federal 55gr. through it, and as expected it performed flawlessly. This is now my favorite rifle, I'm genuinely excited to have it. I look forward to many, many trips downrange with it.

https://i.imgur.com/b09x454.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9IY8WBL.jpg

BUTCHL556
09-15-18, 22:01
Very nice rifle .

kenny256
09-16-18, 08:56
I like it! I personally have no use for it, but I really like to see other peoples stuff and can appreciate it! Looks like a solid shooter, let us know how it does!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
09-16-18, 10:43
Very nice rifle .

Thanks BUTCHL556!! I got a lot of compliments on it yesterday, and it's my favorite shooter.

I like it! I personally have no use for it, but I really like to see other peoples stuff and can appreciate it! Looks like a solid shooter, let us know how it does!

Thanks for the kind words. I realize it's not considered cutting edge anymore, but there's something about these A2 rifles that tug at my heartstrings.

kenny256
09-16-18, 22:13
It does look cool, if I had the funds I would have one in my collection for sure. Variety is the spice of life!

Hammer_Man
09-17-18, 15:42
It does look cool, if I had the funds I would have one in my collection for sure. Variety is the spice of life!

Variety is certainly nice, as I find this to be a nice change from the carbines that are so commonplace these days. Not to take anything away from carbines, as they have their place as well.

markm
09-17-18, 15:54
Shoot. I still love to shoot my A2/A3 Field sights out to 500 yards. I have the M5 RAS on a 16" dissipator type gun.

Hammer_Man
09-18-18, 07:37
Shoot. I still love to shoot my A2/A3 Field sights out to 500 yards. I have the M5 RAS on a 16" dissipator type gun.

That's part of the reason I built this, at least what I told myself to justify building it. I now have something similar to what my current unit issues, to practice with so I can qualify "expert" every time we go to the range. Ha Ha, in reality I just wanted to build it.

Pacific5th
09-19-18, 11:47
Looks nice. I went from a A2 to A4 and did not know the Army was putting the rails on the A2’s. Is that a common thing or unit specific?

Hammer_Man
09-19-18, 21:55
Looks nice. I went from a A2 to A4 and did not know the Army was putting the rails on the A2’s. Is that a common thing or unit specific?

I took poetic license with this one, because I have seen A2s in a weapons vault equipped with these rails, however I doubt they were ever taken downrange in that configuration. I have heard stories of A2s being equipped with KAC rails downrange, but my take is that it was not very common and most likely unit specific.

Pacific5th
09-19-18, 22:44
53878Our A2’s were so trashed I don’t think it would have been worth it to upgrade them. The last time we went to the range with them was my worst range qual. Barley made score and I didn’t get a single hit from the 500. My buddy’s was so far left they took it from him and made him get a new rifle. The A4’s came straight from the factory to us and I wish I could have taken one to the range. Here’s the A4 clone I built.

Hammer_Man
09-19-18, 23:31
53878Our A2’s were so trashed I don’t think it would have been worth it to upgrade them. The last time we went to the range with them was my worst range qual. Barley made score and I didn’t get a single hit from the 500. My buddy’s was so far left they took it from him and made him get a new rifle. The A4’s came straight from the factory to us and I wish I could have taken one to the range. Here’s the A4 clone I built.

It's always a nice feeling when you get to sight in a new weapon. It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons. What barrel did you use for yours?

AndyLate
09-20-18, 06:38
It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons.

I wish the government would allow a contractor to sell the uppers complete and the furniture, then scrap the lowers. $300 A2 kits sound pretty attractive and a nice way for the taxpayer to recoup some of their investment. I also realize it will never happen.

Andy

Hammer_Man
09-20-18, 08:53
I wish the government would allow a contractor to sell the uppers complete and the furniture, then scrap the lowers. $300 A2 kits sound pretty attractive and a nice way for the taxpayer to recoup some of their investment. I also realize it will never happen.

Andy

That would be nice, but in today's political climate it would be a tall order.

Pacific5th
09-20-18, 12:22
It's always a nice feeling when you get to sight in a new weapon. It's too bad the A2s are rotting away in weapons vaults, but that's how it goes. One day they'll all be demilled, and sent to the scrapper, which is too bad because I think they are very nice shooting weapons. What barrel did you use for yours?

It’s a PSA upper. The freedom model I think. I was just looking for close enough. It’s beat my expectations though. My only real complaint is the barrel is more a a shiny color.

I would buy a real A2 “kit” if the government would allow them to be sold. Definitely get a new Barrel though.

Hammer_Man
09-20-18, 20:16
It’s a PSA upper. The freedom model I think. I was just looking for close enough. It’s beat my expectations though. My only real complaint is the barrel is more a a shiny color.

I would buy a real A2 “kit” if the government would allow them to be sold. Definitely get a new Barrel though.

Is yours one of the new uppers that comes with a nitride coated barrel? A real surplus A2 kit would be awesome, as it seems like A2 parts have sort of dried up.

Dennis
09-20-18, 20:27

I would buy a real A2 “kit” if the government would allow them to be sold. Definitely get a new Barrel though.I did the same thing with a nitride PSA upper for a good enuf A4 build. However, when I tore it down to check build quality I found the barrel nut was barely torqued finger tight exactly as many have warned. After a better reassembly it shoots nice groups and will ring steel to 400+. Of course with open A2 sights it takes a buddy who is an actual marksman to do this ;-)

As for the shiny nitride barrel I knew it wouldn't look right but I assumed I would paint the rifle some period correct camo. Unfortunately I can't really find many deployed overseas pics of painted A2s or A4s... Any first hand experience or better Google fu for pics?

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
09-21-18, 07:57
I did the same thing with a nitride PSA upper for a good enuf A4 build. However, when I tore it down to check build quality I found the barrel nut was barely torqued finger tight exactly as many have warned. After a better reassembly it shoots nice groups and will ring steel to 400+. Of course with open A2 sights it takes a buddy who is an actual marksman to do this ;-)

As for the shiny nitride barrel I knew it wouldn't look right but I assumed I would paint the rifle some period correct camo. Unfortunately I can't really find many deployed overseas pics of painted A2s or A4s... Any first hand experience or better Google fu for pics?

Dennis.

I'm don't think A4s and A2s were painted all that much. However it's your rifle, so paint it as you see fit. I'm tempted to paint mine, or one of my carbines, but thus far I just can't bring myself to do it.

Pacific5th
09-21-18, 09:41
I did the same thing with a nitride PSA upper for a good enuf A4 build. However, when I tore it down to check build quality I found the barrel nut was barely torqued finger tight exactly as many have warned. After a better reassembly it shoots nice groups and will ring steel to 400+. Of course with open A2 sights it takes a buddy who is an actual marksman to do this ;-)

Dennis.

I can’t recall ever seeing any painted M16’s. I got out in 05 though. Maybe the special forces guys were doing it but definitly none of the regular Marines were doing it.

Dennis
09-22-18, 10:23
Thanks for the help. The only non black M16 pics I could find were ones covered in fine sand for whatever reason. I guess guys that really needed or were allowed a camo weapon probably chose shorter M4s instead.

Still leaves me stuck with a shiny black barreled A4! Maybe I will try some parkerized gray alumnahyde...

Dennis.

markm
09-24-18, 15:45
That's part of the reason I built this, at least what I told myself to justify building it. I now have something similar to what my current unit issues, to practice with so I can qualify "expert" every time we go to the range. Ha Ha, in reality I just wanted to build it.

This thread got me craving some iron sight action. I took my 16" White Oak dissy (mentioned above) out Yesterday. I grabbed 10 rounds of 77 gr Mark Hills hand loads, and asked Pappabear to spot me at 750 yards. The carry handle is a 6/3 drum. Spun it all the way up, and had to hold over the target about 8 feet. Got a hit on my 5th or 6th attempt.

When you have someone competent spotting for you, it's amazing what you can hit.

Hammer_Man
09-24-18, 19:36
This thread got me craving some iron sight action. I took my 16" White Oak dissy (mentioned above) out Yesterday. I grabbed 10 rounds of 77 gr Mark Hills hand loads, and asked Pappabear to spot me at 750 yards. The carry handle is a 6/3 drum. Spun it all the way up, and had to hold over the target about 8 feet. Got a hit on my 5th or 6th attempt.

When you have someone competent spotting for you, it's amazing what you can hit.

Nice!! There's something very satisfying about shooting with irons, especially when you're able to challenge yourself at distance. We should start an irons only club.

Hammer_Man
09-24-18, 19:41
Thanks for the help. The only non black M16 pics I could find were ones covered in fine sand for whatever reason. I guess guys that really needed or were allowed a camo weapon probably chose shorter M4s instead.

Still leaves me stuck with a shiny black barreled A4! Maybe I will try some parkerized gray alumnahyde...

Dennis.

Hey man don't let being 100% "clone correct" get in the way of doing what you want with your rifle. If you want to paint it in a high speed desert camo paint job, then I say go for it. After all, it is your weapon. I think cloning is great, as it's a nice way to keep old service rifles alive, but I wouldn't take it too seriously. Grab some Krylon or Rustoleum and rock on!

Renegade04
09-28-18, 20:44
Looks good. I took a much simpler route with my M16A2 clone.

https://i.imgur.com/fo4VnXa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iwicsht.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XxiZC7f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y7hZSBP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dxKvRPe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y5Vq4iQ.jpg

Hammer_Man
09-28-18, 21:31
Looks good. I took a much simpler route with my M16A2 clone.

https://i.imgur.com/fo4VnXa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iwicsht.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XxiZC7f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y7hZSBP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dxKvRPe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y5Vq4iQ.jpg

That is a clean, pure A2 build :cool:. I'm jealous of your lower receiver markings btw! I actually came across BCP while searching for my parts, but my local dealer had such a good deal on Mega lowers, that I couldn't pass it up. Did you use a surplus upper?

Renegade04
09-28-18, 21:50
That is a clean, pure A2 build :cool:. I'm jealous of your lower receiver markings btw! I actually came across BCP while searching for my parts, but my local dealer had such a good deal on Mega lowers, that I couldn't pass it up. Did you use a surplus upper?

I did use a surplus upper receiver. The barrel assembly is from Windham Weaponry. I love their barrels. They are extremely accurate.

Hammer_Man
09-28-18, 21:58
I did use a surplus upper receiver. The barrel assembly is from Windham Weaponry. I love their barrels. They are extremely accurate.

So far I'm pretty happy with my Windham barrel as well. Seems pretty accurate, and the asking price was very competitive. I tried to find surplus uppers, but it seems the ample supply of A2 parts has dried up. They used to be very common, but the only in stock and ready to ship A2 upper I found was at Fulton Armory. Not that I'm not happy with it, but I would have liked to have saved a few bucks by using surplus parts.

markm
09-28-18, 23:40
I've foolishly allowed all my A2 type ARs slip away over the years.

This was the last one I had... real FN barrel and refurbished mil surplus upper receiver that was beat to hell.

https://i.imgur.com/S2slcpJ.jpg

Hammer_Man
09-29-18, 04:01
I've foolishly allowed all my A2 type ARs slip away over the years.

This was the last one I had... real FN barrel and refurbished mil surplus upper receiver that was beat to hell.

https://i.imgur.com/S2slcpJ.jpg

I'm in the same boat. My first AR15 was a used Colt A2 (built in 1990) that I re-sold, because I wanted something more modern.... Looking back, I really wish I kept that rifle! It was the smoothest shooting weapon, really fun to shoot. That looks like a nice build BTW, where did you find the FN barrel?

Hammer_Man
01-16-19, 22:56
Update: I bought a TA11H-G, and mounted it to the carry handle, to which I installed a Trijicon killflash. When I went to sight it in at my local range, the thing was zeroed right out of the box! The eye relief of the TA11 is perfect for this gun, I really enjoyed shooting it tonight. Next on the list for this rifle, is a Larue MBT, which I ordered yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/uEU0bk0.jpg

Circle_10
01-17-19, 05:53
The 20" barrel, fixed stock AR still has a lot of merit in my opinion, perhaps in particular as an "all purpose" rifle for civilian use.

3ACR_Scout
01-23-19, 07:09
I took poetic license with this one, because I have seen A2s in a weapons vault equipped with these rails, however I doubt they were ever taken downrange in that configuration. I have heard stories of A2s being equipped with KAC rails downrange, but my take is that it was not very common and most likely unit specific.
I looked through photos of my Cavalry Troop at Fort Hood from Fall 2006, and nearly all of our A2s had KAC rails on them. I only saw a handful with the old plastic handguards. Those guys definitely deployed to Iraq with those rifles in 2007 after I left the unit, although I think they were plussed up with M4s in country. I’m not really sure why we had the rails, because no one even had vertical grips mounted, let alone any time of laser or light, in those training photos. The rails were basically just adding more weight to the rifles with no benefit.

One other thing to add: if you’re cloning an FN M16A2, don’t ever worry about mismatched uppers and lowers. I have photos from our unit of gray uppers with black lowers, purplish uppers, uppers with most of the finish worn off while the lower still looks pretty fresh, etc. These are all rifles that are in a fairly small serial number range, so I’m not sure if maybe some of them were partially refinished when they were reset or if FN just grabbed a bunch of mismatched parts from different sources.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 03:42
I looked through photos of my Cavalry Troop at Fort Hood from Fall 2006, and nearly all of our A2s had KAC rails on them. I only saw a handful with the old plastic handguards. Those guys definitely deployed to Iraq with those rifles in 2007 after I left the unit, although I think they were plussed up with M4s in country. I’m not really sure why we had the rails, because no one even had vertical grips mounted, let alone any time of laser or light, in those training photos. The rails were basically just adding more weight to the rifles with no benefit.

One other thing to add: if you’re cloning an FN M16A2, don’t ever worry about mismatched uppers and lowers. I have photos from our unit of gray uppers with black lowers, purplish uppers, uppers with most of the finish worn off while the lower still looks pretty fresh, etc. These are all rifles that are in a fairly small serial number range, so I’m not sure if maybe some of them were partially refinished when they were reset or if FN just grabbed a bunch of mismatched parts from different sources.

Thanks for the insight, it's greatly appreciated. I use use my rail to mount my laser device, and my weapon light. The laser seems to hold a zero just fine, no issues with the non free floated handguard so far.

FightinQ
01-24-19, 05:00
This thread has reminded me that my assembled A2 clone that's still without an A2 upper needs to be finished one day. The 603 next to it is a fully working retro build using mostly modern parts as the source for parts has dried up a lot but the Type E stock and upper are the real deal, feels weird now without the A2 next to the A1. I was issued both along with the A4 and the M4. Never liked the A2 because of it's target sights that was on a rifleman's tool or the longer stock and for the longest resisted the idea of actually having one.

The A1 is for show and tell, and now I am starting to realize that I was wrong letting my biases control me; The A2 will be for show and tell also just like the A1 and I have better more modern tools at my disposal god forbid should the need arise.

Renegade04
01-24-19, 08:25
This thread has reminded me that my assembled A2 clone that's still without an A2 upper needs to be finished one day. The 603 next to it is a fully working retro build using mostly modern parts as the source for parts has dried up a lot but the Type E stock and upper are the real deal, feels weird now without the A2 next to the A1. I was issued both along with the A4 and the M4. Never liked the A2 because of it's target sights that was on a rifleman's tool or the longer stock and for the longest resisted the idea of actually having one.

The A1 is for show and tell, and now I am starting to realize that I was wrong letting my biases control me; The A2 will be for show and tell also just like the A1 and I have better more modern tools at my disposal god forbid should the need arise.

As someone used to say, "Get 'er done". Model 1 Sales, Fulton Armory, and JSE Surplus are three good sources for A2 upper receivers.

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=414

https://www.fulton-armory.com/upperreceivera2usgi-1.aspx

https://www.jsesurplus.com/a2upperreceiver.aspx

Windham Weaponry is a great source for the barrel kit.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/

prdubi
01-24-19, 08:39
No bayonets...

Come on guys..

The beauty of the a2 a4 setup is attaching the m9 to it.

You don't need anything else in this world after that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 11:03

I never had the privilege of carrying an A1, I suspect I would have really liked them if I did. Initially I disliked the A2s, because the one I carried in basic was beat up, and not as cool as an M4. However, over the years I've come to appreciate the A2 immensely, and it is now my favorite shooter. I'm really tempted to sell my carbines, but I'll keep my block 1 clone for show and tell.

As someone used to say, "Get 'er done". Model 1 Sales, Fulton Armory, and JSE Surplus are three good sources for A2 upper receivers.

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=414

I've quite happy with my Fulton upper/Windham barrel combo so far, it's quite accurate if I do my part.

No bayonets...

Come on guys..

The beauty of the a2 a4 setup is attaching the m9 to it.

You don't need anything else in this world after that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eventually I'll get an M9 bayonet, but I have so many other priorities right now.

FightinQ
01-24-19, 11:04

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/Thanks for the source of parts but I'm already leaning on an email alert from PSA when it comes back in stock.

@prdubi, when mine is complete, I will for sure see about purchasing for myself an M9 bayonet for it. I have a gut feeling that my A1 doesn't want to share it's M7 with any A2, heh.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 12:45

Quick question, do you have personal experience with the A2 uppers sold by JSE, and Model 1? Are they comparable to the fit/finish and overall quality of the Fulton upper? Just curious, as I'm thinking about building another A2...

Renegade04
01-24-19, 14:40
Thanks for the source of parts but I'm already leaning on an email alert from PSA when it comes back in stock.

@prdubi, when mine is complete, I will for sure see about purchasing for myself an M9 bayonet for it. I have a gut feeling that my A1 doesn't want to share it's M7 with any A2, heh.

What you need to get is a M9 Phrobis III. These were officially adopted in 1986. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-phrobis-m9-bayonet-with-sheath-used?a=2130963

https://i.imgur.com/QVl4ORl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2ohDtUF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jZaCIlS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SMgAffo.jpg

Renegade04
01-24-19, 14:47
Quick question, do you have personal experience with the A2 uppers sold by JSE, and Model 1? Are they comparable to the fit/finish and overall quality of the Fulton upper? Just curious, as I'm thinking about building another A2...

I have experience with the Model 1 Sales A2 upper. The quality, fit, and finish is every bit as good as any USGI upper. From what I know, Fulton Armory is also very reputable. I do not know much about the A2 uppers that JSE sells. There are several really good reviews from customers who have bought them.

I also have experience with the Windham Weaponry A2 Government Profile 20in Barrel Kit. I have four of them in use. Excellent barrels and very accurate too. Well worth every dime spent.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 16:12
I have experience with the Model 1 Sales A2 upper. The quality, fit, and finish is every bit as good as any USGI upper. From what I know, Fulton Armory is also very reputable. I do not know much about the A2 uppers that JSE sells. There are several really good reviews from customers who have bought them.

I also have experience with the Windham Weaponry A2 Government Profile 20in Barrel Kit. I have four of them in use. Excellent barrels and very accurate too. Well worth every dime spent.

The Windham barrel is an excellent value for money considering the cost involved in getting a Colt barrel. As of yet I haven't found a source for a complete 20" Colt barrel assembly. The only vendor I have found that even has 20" Colt barrels is Brownell's, but you can't buy a complete barrel assembly by itself. You either have to buy an upper/barrel assembly (minus bcg, charging handle, handguards) from Brownell's for $480, or buy a stripped barrel (no FSB, no barrel nut, no delta ring) for $171. Neither option is appealing or cost effective when all you need is a barrel assembly.

FightinQ
01-24-19, 17:46
What you need to get is a M9 Phrobis III. These were officially adopted in 1986. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-phrobis-m9-bayonet-with-sheath-used?a=2130963

https://i.imgur.com/QVl4ORl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2ohDtUF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jZaCIlS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SMgAffo.jpgGood to know.

I spy rust on the hilt? Eek.

Renegade04
01-24-19, 17:57
Good to know.

I spy rust on the hilt? Eek.

Used USGI. Not rust. That is patina. :)

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 18:33
Used USGI. Not rust. That is patina. :)

Made by Ontario?

Renegade04
01-24-19, 19:41
Made by Ontario?

No.

The M9 bayonet was designed and developed by Charles A. "Mickey" Finn at his R&D company, Qual-A-Tec.[1][2][3] It is a refined copy of the Russian AKM Type I bayonet.[4] He later produced it under the Phrobis III name, filling a military contract for 325,000 units. Buck Knives was contracted to make 300,000 units and sold a commercial version under their own name.

Lan-Cay also made a M9 bayonet as did Ontario. This one is made by Ontario. It is housed in a Lan-Cay scabbard.

https://i.imgur.com/sn06Y45.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vtr8Vmq.jpg

Ontario also makes the OKC 3S bayonet. It was developed by the United States Marine Corps to replace the M7 bayonet and M9 bayonet as its service bayonet for the M16 family of rifles and M4 series carbine. It came into service in 2003.

https://i.imgur.com/uCcAYZn.jpg

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 23:30
No.

The M9 bayonet was designed and developed by Charles A. "Mickey" Finn at his R&D company, Qual-A-Tec.[1][2][3] It is a refined copy of the Russian AKM Type I bayonet.[4] He later produced it under the Phrobis III name, filling a military contract for 325,000 units. Buck Knives was contracted to make 300,000 units and sold a commercial version under their own name.

Lan-Cay also made a M9 bayonet as did Ontario. This one is made by Ontario. It is housed in a Lan-Cay scabbard.

https://i.imgur.com/sn06Y45.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vtr8Vmq.jpg

Ontario also makes the OKC 3S bayonet. It was developed by the United States Marine Corps to replace the M7 bayonet and M9 bayonet as its service bayonet for the M16 family of rifles and M4 series carbine. It came into service in 2003.

https://i.imgur.com/uCcAYZn.jpg

I never knew that about the M9 bayonet, thanks! Although I'm an Army guy, I have to admit that I think the OKC 3S is a much better bayonet than the M9 bayonet.

Hammer_Man
01-25-19, 00:00
Just a quick update, I wasn't completely satisfied with the QMS trigger, so I decided to look for a relatively affordable match trigger. I settled on a RRA match trigger due to (1) it is pretty cheap, and (2) it was available at my local gun store. Installation was pretty straight forward, however I must note that the trigger pins it came with were a very tight fit. Much tighter than any trigger pins I've tried before, including Geissele. In fact I couldn't push them in by hand, I had to tap them in with a small hammer. After installation I test fired 60 rounds through it, and function was flawless. Is it Geissele good? No, there is a slight grittiness to it, but the break is clean, and for the money I can't complain. I know in another post I said I ordered a Larue MBT-2, however those are on back order for who knows how long, and I wanted to try another trigger this weekend. Overall I think it's a good stop gap until my Larue arrives (which I may put in another build altogether), or I can get the funds together for a Geissele hi speed national match trigger.

http://i.imgur.com/Tc8gWVd.jpg
Here is a pic taken at a local 100 yard range.

ccosby
01-25-19, 00:30
I love shooting my 20 inch ar's and have an a2 one. I also love taking out my a2 carbines.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/rm1vR9.jpg

Colt 6520 and 727. The 6520 is an old police trade in. The 727 however is the favorite a2 I have.

Hammer_Man
01-25-19, 16:24
I love shooting my 20 inch ar's and have an a2 one. I also love taking out my a2 carbines.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/rm1vR9.jpg

Colt 6520 and 727. The 6520 is an old police trade in. The 727 however is the favorite a2 I have.

Very nice!!

FightinQ
01-25-19, 16:37
I remember when we got issued the fixed handle M4's back in 97-98 at Fort Hood, kinda funny but sometimes it feels like barely anyone knows that the original M4's were fixed and not railed 1913 flattops with a removable carry handle sight.

Renegade04
01-25-19, 17:45
I remember when we got issued the fixed handle M4's back in 97-98 at Fort Hood, kinda funny but sometimes it feels like barely anyone knows that the original M4's were fixed and not railed 1913 flattops with a removable carry handle sight.

In 1984, Colt began work on a new carbine design called the XM4 combining the best features of the Colt Commando and later the M16A2 rifles.

In 1984, the first model was made, and it was tested in May 1985. The first models had an upper receiver with an A1 sight, and were given a shorter 11.5-inch barrel, but later ones were given a longer 14.5-inch barrel for the bayonet and the M203 Grenade Launcher. The second model was made in May 1986, and it was tested from May 1986 though May 1987; at the time it had an A2 Upper Sight, and it had the M16A2's 1:7 inch rifle twist, to use the heavier 62-grain M855 rounds. The extended barrel improved the XM4's ballistics, reduced muzzle blast and gave the XM4 the ability to mount a bayonet and the M203 grenade launcher. The XM4 was also given the cartridge deflector, as well as other minor refinements. In May 1991, the XM4 was renamed to the M4, and Colt made a manual.

The M4 was officially accepted into service by the U.S. military in 1994, and first saw action in the hands of U.S. troops deployed to Kosovo in 1999. Shortly after the M4 entered service, the carrying handle upper (A2) was ditched for the flat-top upper with M4 feedramps making it much more versatile for optics.

Hammer_Man
01-25-19, 17:50

If you search YouTube, there is a Colt promo video for the XM4. If I hadn't come across it, I would have never known. I want to build an XM4 clone to go along with my A2 rifle.

Edit: I think this is it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6u2pd2Y2zk

FightinQ
01-25-19, 17:51
In 1984, Colt began work on a new carbine design called the XM4 combining the best features of the Colt Commando and later the M16A2 rifles.

In 1984, the first model was made, and it was tested in May 1985. The first models had an upper receiver with an A1 sight, and were given a shorter 11.5-inch barrel, but later ones were given a longer 14.5-inch barrel for the bayonet and the M203 Grenade Launcher. The second model was made in May 1986, and it was tested from May 1986 though May 1987; at the time it had an A2 Upper Sight, and it had the M16A2's 1:7 inch rifle twist, to use the heavier 62-grain M855 rounds. The extended barrel improved the XM4's ballistics, reduced muzzle blast and gave the XM4 the ability to mount a bayonet and the M203 grenade launcher. The XM4 was also given the cartridge deflector, as well as other minor refinements. In May 1991, the XM4 was renamed to the M4, and Colt made a manual.

The M4 was officially accepted into service by the U.S. military in 1994, and first saw action in the hands of U.S. troops deployed to Kosovo in 1999. Shortly after the M4 entered service, the carrying handle upper (A2) was ditched for the flat-top upper with M4 feedramps making it much more versatile for optics.I may be wrong here, but the ramps were added because the carbine gas system was having issues feeding from the issued magazine. That's just me saying this so correct me please if I am wrong.

FightinQ
01-25-19, 18:05
If you search YouTube, there is a Colt promo video for the XM4. If I hadn't come across it, I would have never known. I want to build an XM4 clone to go along with my A2 rifle.

Edit: I think this is it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6u2pd2Y2zkWe need a like feature here. There has been a ton of posts of late that have been home runs from some of you.

Thanks for sharing to both you and Renegade.

Renegade04
01-25-19, 18:32
I may be wrong here, but the ramps were added because the carbine gas system was having issues feeding from the issued magazine. That's just me saying this so correct me please if I am wrong.

This is taken form a post that K.L. Davis made on M4Carbine.net back in 2006.

With the proliferation of the the carbine gas system, there did come some unique problems -- it is believed that with the M4, there are times when a cartridge being loaded is more "tip down" than normal, and that the bullet tip could strike the flat surface of the upper receiver, just below the standard rifle feedramp.

So, the ramps were extended down slightly, in order to catch these.

There is a suggestion that the use of heavier bullets also exacerbates any potential problem... this idea seems to have some weight (get it) -- and of course the use of soft or open tip ammunition can help make things snag.

FightinQ
01-25-19, 18:49
This is taken form a post that K.L. Davis made on M4Carbine.net back in 2006.

With the proliferation of the the carbine gas system, there did come some unique problems -- it is believed that with the M4, there are times when a cartridge being loaded is more "tip down" than normal, and that the bullet tip could strike the flat surface of the upper receiver, just below the standard rifle feedramp.

So, the ramps were extended down slightly, in order to catch these.

There is a suggestion that the use of heavier bullets also exacerbates any potential problem... this idea seems to have some weight (get it) -- and of course the use of soft or open tip ammunition can help make things snag.I'm being educated, bravo sir. So after reading what you wrote and pondering it some, do you think that this whole system was designed around a 55 FMJ going at one set of velocity from only one set of barrel length without any possibility of changes later on as both the needs and technology changes and or adapts? Very curious.

FightinQ
01-26-19, 16:09
Sigh. I think I may have to resort to purchasing this from Palmetto. Not a correct A2 but I can always purchase a surplus legit A2 beat to death by joe or jane stripped from the next gun show and have a project to do. I can always sell the MOE handguard and keep the A3 upper as a spare or gift it to a friend.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-moe-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle1.html

Renegade04
01-26-19, 16:47
I'm being educated, bravo sir. So after reading what you wrote and pondering it some, do you think that this whole system was designed around a 55 FMJ going at one set of velocity from only one set of barrel length without any possibility of changes later on as both the needs and technology changes and or adapts? Very curious.

I think that they were addressing issues for that time which was primarily directed towards M855 ammo. To me, it did not appear that M193 was an issue as it had been used with carbines (with uppers without feedramps) for several years with no issues.

Renegade04
01-26-19, 16:50
Sigh. I think I may have to resort to purchasing this from Palmetto. Not a correct A2 but I can always purchase a surplus legit A2 beat to death by joe or jane stripped from the next gun show and have a project to do. I can always sell the MOE handguard and keep the A3 upper as a spare or gift it to a friend.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-moe-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle1.html

I would highly recommend ditching that idea. What I suggest is to order this A2 Government Profile 20in Barrel Kit from Windham Weaponry and get the A2 upper receiver when you can.

FightinQ
01-26-19, 16:57
I would highly recommend ditching that idea. What I suggest is to order this A2 Government Profile 20in Barrel Kit from Windham Weaponry and get the A2 upper receiver when you can.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt-7/What's wrong with it if you don't mind me asking? This would not be anything other than a range toy or a show and tell bbq gun to compliment my A1.

Renegade04
01-26-19, 17:54
What's wrong with it if you don't mind me asking? This would not be anything other than a range toy or a show and tell bbq gun to compliment my A1.

The primary reason is the leftover upper receiver and handguards, not to mention the shiny nitride barrel. The barrel finish will not be correct. To me, if you are going to do an A2 clone, do it right from the start. It will much more impressive for show and tell and perform very well for a range gun. I think you would be happier with it as well.

Hammer_Man
01-26-19, 22:40

I couldn't agree more. :cool: It's unfortunate how difficult it is to find actual A2 parts these days.

On a side note, I did come across a reasonably priced Bushmaster A2 rifle at my local fun store this week. It had a really nice wobble free fit between the upper and lower, but it had a 1/9 twist barrel, and the buttstock was loose. Despite the issues, if I had an extra $800 burning a hole in my pocket I probably would have bought it anyway.

FightinQ
01-27-19, 00:24
Windham does make good stuff. And I don't think that I have anything directly from them...yet. Y'all are making this more expensive for me than it really has to be, not that I mind.

Hammer_Man
01-28-19, 11:43
Windham does make good stuff. And I don't think that I have anything directly from them...yet. Y'all are making this more expensive for me than it really has to be, not that I mind.

In the end it will be worth it to have a more correct build. The defining feature of an A2 is the fixed carry handle with the rifleman sights. PSA and a few other manufacturers are marketing A4 rifles with detachable carry handles as "A2 style", this is obviously not correct.

FightinQ
01-28-19, 12:52
I don't mind the parting out to get what I want.

Hammer_Man
01-29-19, 14:56
It's a money pit of a hobby, but it's cheaper than crack lol :)

01-29-19, 15:02
It's a money pit of a hobby, but it's cheaper than crack lol :)

Doubtful.

Very neat rifle, brother. Thanks for sharing.

Hammer_Man
01-29-19, 22:37
Doubtful.

Very neat rifle, brother. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words.

Smpr Fi
02-07-19, 20:27
Nice looking rifle. I used a M16A2 in basic also, will always hold a special place in my heart!

Gator Monroe
02-07-19, 21:46
2 of My A2 Centerfire Rifles (AR15A2NM ) and ArmaLite AR10A2 (Circa 1997 build)55853

Hammer_Man
02-09-19, 21:57
2 of My A2 Centerfire Rifles (AR15A2NM ) and ArmaLite AR10A2 (Circa 1997 build)55853

Nice rifles! I remember almost lusting over those AR-10 A2s a few years back.

Hammer_Man
02-19-19, 19:47
OK OK, You guys twisted my arm and I caved in to peer pressure. I bought a USMC bayonet for my favorite rifle. I chose the USMC bayonet over the Army M9 bayonet because I like the cut of the blade better, as I feel it is more useful as a bayonet. I also hear the USMC bayonet has full tang construction, which I know for a fact the M9 bayonet does not. I'm very excited, as I now feel this rifle is complete... That is until Nodak sends me an A2 lower in appx 7 months.

Edit: I didn't have time to get to the range tonight and snap a super cool guy action pic, so my kitchen counter will have to suffice for now.

Hammer_Man
05-19-19, 10:14
I decided to give my A2 some TLC. I found a new KAC lower at Ready Gunner, and the finish matched the Fulton upper so perfectly I decided it was meant to be. So here ya go, some KAC pron from my counter top. If I could stop spending money on gun parts, I could probably afford a better camera, which would allow me to take more visually stimulating photos. But meh...

http://i.imgur.com/fsXHzLf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pS6zLtN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mSP7Gtj.jpg

Wolf11B
05-25-19, 15:31
Nice build, built my using a Capco upper I got.

Hammer_Man
05-25-19, 15:45
Nice build, built my using a Capco upper I got.

I didn't find out about those Capco uppers until I had already finished this one, otherwise I would have been all over them.

Update: I had to send my Knight's lower in for inspection, as it would not drop any magazines freely. Before anybody loses their cool, I tried OK Surefeeds, Magpul M3, and Lancer mags. They all seemed to get caught in the magazine well. Knight's Armament has agreed to inspect it, and see if there is a fix available. Until my lower gets back, this rifle will look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wBOtzjy.jpg

Wolf11B
05-25-19, 16:00
I didn't find out about those Capco uppers until I had already finished this one, otherwise I would have been all over them.

Update: I had to send my Knight's lower in for inspection, as it would not drop any magazines freely. Before anybody loses their cool, I tried OK Surefeeds, Magpul M3, and Lancer mags. They all seemed to get caught in the magazine well. Knight's Armament has agreed to inspect it, and see if there is a fix available. Until my lower gets back, this rifle will look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wBOtzjy.jpg

Best of luck with getting it fixed