PDA

View Full Version : Syria accidentally shoots down Russian aircraft

Slater
09-18-18, 06:27
Those crafty Israelis:

“By using the Russian plane as a cover, the Israeli pilots made it vulnerable to Syrian air defence fire. As a result, the Il-20, its reflective surface being far greater than that of [the IAF] F-16s, was downed by a missile launched with the S-200 system,” Russian Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman Igor Konashenkov was quoted by TASS as saying. The MoD noted that, while it had been given prior warning of the IAF attack, it came too late to have the Il-20 divert to a safe area."

https://www.janes.com/article/83039/russian-surveillance-aircraft-mistakenly-shot-down-by-syrian-ally

sundance435
09-18-18, 08:35
The vaunted Syrian (Russian) air defense system finally scores a "hit"!

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-18-18, 09:13
And the Malaysian Airliner...

And a Korean Airliner.

But yes, a U-2. So they are 1 for 4.

TexHill
09-18-18, 09:29
And the Malaysian Airliner...

And a Korean Airliner.

But yes, a U-2. So they are 1 for 4.

For fairness sake, if we're going all the way back to the 50's then I think you should include the aircraft we lost during Vietnam.

NYH1
09-18-18, 13:20
For fairness sake, if we're going all the way back to the 50's then I think you should include the aircraft we lost during Vietnam.
Didn't Serbs shootdown that F16 in 1995 and Yugoslavia shot down a F117 and F16 in 1999 all using Russian air defense equipment?

NYH1.

Arik
09-18-18, 13:39
Didn't Serbs shootdown that F16 in 1995 and Yugoslavia shot down a F117 and F16 in 1999 all using Russian air defense equipment?

NYH1.I know they shot down the stealth using old tech that happens to work better at spotting stealths. Don't know the technical aspects of it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
09-18-18, 13:55
Was the Soviet plane full of dead bodies, like the Iranian Airbus that the USS Vincennes shot down? :rolleyes:

26 Inf
09-18-18, 16:04
Was the Soviet plane full of dead bodies, like the Iranian Airbus that the USS Vincennes shot down? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd never heard that one, you got a link?

sgtrock82
09-18-18, 16:48
I know they shot down the stealth using old tech that happens to work better at spotting stealths. Don't know the technical aspects of it

Sent from my XT1650 using TapatalkI cant recall the exact details either but I do recall it was less about the system itself and more about one of the officers, being a thinker and technically competent, modifying the system, to look for moving "holes" in the electronic noise of the war time sky.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
09-18-18, 17:25
Honestly, I'd never heard that one, you got a link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

GEEZ, I'm getting old... My kid brother was on the USS Caloosahatchee (in the Med) when that happened, so we were all on pins and needles in those days. One of the conspiracy theories of the day (and it made ABC World News Tonight, cos' that's what my dad always watched, and that's where I saw it!), was that the Iranians stuffed it with dead bodies, and deliberately flew it on a flight path that would antagonize U.S. ships on patrol. The fact the Vincennes could never raise them played into that theory; that, and ALL the bodies were floating intact on the ocean surface, as opposed to being broken up, as would happen to living tissue when the plane got struck by the missile, and then hit the water.

Hot on the heels on the Iraqi strike on the USS Stark, the Navy WASN'T playing in those days...

Arik
09-18-18, 18:53
I cant recall the exact details either but I do recall it was less about the system itself and more about one of the officers, being a thinker and technically competent, modifying the system, to look for moving "holes" in the electronic noise of the war time sky.

Sent from my SM-J727T using TapatalkYea something like that. I remember hearing that the system was old school... whatever that means in terms of radar and air defense. What I do remember is the officer was a Hungarian

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-19-18, 01:35
The un-funny part is that the Russians thought that a French ship was to blame. That could get ugly fast.

sundance435
09-20-18, 11:43
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
The fact the Vincennes could never raise them played into that theory; that, and ALL the bodies were floating intact on the ocean surface, as opposed to being broken up, as would happen to living tissue when the plane got struck by the missile, and then hit the water.

Probably as to bodies struck by explosion of the missile and fragmentation, but I've read that it's relatively common to find bodies from an aircraft crash over water, and even land, that are pretty intact - some searchers couldn't outwardly tell that there was any physical damage.