PDA

View Full Version : Colt XM177E2 Reissue or Colt SP1

Balthezor
09-19-18, 05:26
Just for fun, if you were starting a small Colt AR collection and you already have a LE6920 and a AR-15 A4, which one would you get next? Between the two.

Colt M4 Commando is cool, but takes 6-12 months to get which isn't terrible, might as well start the process now.

But that XM177E2 just looks awesome.

EDIT: I purchased the LE6933.

So since I'm always looking ahead. Which one would you get first for range toy and collection. Colt XM177E2 Reissue or an old and used Colt SP1. I am seeing them for $1500 on Gunbroker.

This is a hole I can't seem to get out of.😜

MegademiC
09-19-18, 05:35
Collection? XM177e2
Use: 6933.

omegajb
09-19-18, 05:46
Have you looked at the Brownells Model: XBRN177E2?
It's not a Colt but it seems to be a nice take on a classic that you can shoot on a regular basis.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Balthezor
09-19-18, 07:51
Definitely both are going to be for the collection. But will definitely bring them to the range as well.

I saw the other XM177E2 clones like Troy and Brownells. They do look great and are a lot cheaper. But I may spend money on that and then regret it down the road because it's not a Colt.

MistWolf
09-19-18, 09:34
Not to be snarky, but the real question is, which to buy first?

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-19-18, 09:56
So I got to be in the Troy promo videos for the xm177 and gau5 and they’re decent little guns. They’re cheaper but I feel that the colts have better barrels than Troy and brownells. So if you plan on actually shooting them then get the colt. If you want it to be a safe queen then get a Troy or a colt since it has the proper colt roll marks.

Balthezor
09-19-18, 11:16
Not to be snarky, but the real question is, which to buy first?

You are 100% This is actually what I meant. Which one to get first and which one to get next year.

With the NFA wait, I can start the process for the Commando now and probably get the XM177E2 next year before the NFA gets stamped...

omegajb
09-19-18, 11:47
Definitely both are going to be for the collection. But will definitely bring them to the range as well.

I saw the other XM177E2 clones like Troy and Brownells. They do look great and are a lot cheaper. But I may spend money on that and then regret it down the road because it's not a Colt.Makes sense, I'm the same way and if I compromise on something instead of getting what I really want I will always regret it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DaBigBR
09-19-18, 16:43
Buy the 6933 now to start the transfer waiting process and get the XM when you can. Maybe you end up actually taking possession of the 6933 maybe you'll have XM money.

Circle_10
09-19-18, 17:03
Aren't the Colt Retro Re-issues (The M16A1 and the XM177E2) not even made by Colt? I thought Colt was outsourcing production of these to an outfit called US Ordnance or something.

ffhounddog
09-19-18, 17:59
I like my Troy.

ABNAK
09-19-18, 18:00
Aren't the Colt Retro Re-issues (The M16A1 and the XM177E2) not even made by Colt? I thought Colt was outsourcing production of these to an outfit called US Ordnance or something.

This is what I have heard also. Of course it still has the (legal) Colt roll mark, but still.....

Can't forget to add an M4A1 to your collection. It is probably the last iteration of the general issue M4 that we will see. Of course not referring to SOCOM one-off models but general Army Infantry issue. I bought one of the 2018 PW versions with the "U.S. Government Property" roll mark.

Balthezor
09-19-18, 18:59
This is what I have heard also. Of course it still has the (legal) Colt roll mark, but still.....

Can't forget to add an M4A1 to your collection. It is probably the last iteration of the general issue M4 that we will see. Of course not referring to SOCOM one-off models but general Army Infantry issue. I bought one of the 2018 PW versions with the "U.S. Government Property" roll mark.

Is that the LE6920SOCOM? The one with KAC handguard?

Circle_10
09-19-18, 19:16
The one with the KAC handguard was a different model that I think may have been discontinued. The newest one is the 6920HBPW, which has a Socom profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded extended muzzle device. It has standard handguards IIRC. If they are still around later this fall I may try and grab one...or I might direct the money toward a 6933 and go through the NFA process. I've been putting off getting an SBR fir years now.

Balthezor
09-19-18, 19:26
The one with the KAC handguard was a different model that I think may have been discontinued. The newest one is the 6920HBPW, which has a Socom profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded extended muzzle device. It has standard handguards IIRC. If they are still around later this fall I may try and grab one...or I might direct the money toward a 6933 and go through the NFA process. I've been putting off getting an SBR fir years now.

That one I believe does not say US Govt Property.

arptsprt
09-19-18, 19:37
This is incorrect. The newest model is the LE6920SOCOM. It includes the KAC RAS and is as close to a true M4A1 as we’re probably going to see.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
09-19-18, 20:37
Go Commando. No question, no stalling, no wondering, just go Commando.

MountainRaven
09-19-18, 20:40

AFAIK, not made by Colt and ridiculously expensive. But they appear to be the most accurate retro guns that I've seen.

Pappabear
09-19-18, 20:42

I saw the other XM177E2 clones like Troy and Brownells. They do look great and are a lot cheaper. But I may spend money on that and then regret it down the road because it's not a Colt.

Commando first then always buy the Colt or you will regret it, you just said "collection." Collection means Pony!

PB

Hammer_Man
09-19-18, 23:46
U.S. Ordnance builds a lot of stuff for Uncle Sam, so I wouldn't doubt the quality of their builds, however I think the asking price for their A1 clones are a bit steep to say the least. In regards to the OP's question, I recommend the Commando. The XM clone looks nice, but once again I don't think it's work the $2k+ asking price. Now to toss some gas on the fire. If I were looking for an 11.5" Colt, I would buy an LE6943.

Circle_10
09-20-18, 00:01
This is incorrect. The newest model is the LE6920SOCOM. It includes the KAC RAS and is as close to a true M4A1 as we’re probably going to see.

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see it says "returns for 2018" I thought they had a version of this a few years back that was eventually discontinued, it was back when you could still get Colts at Walmart I think. It wasn't a Walmart exclusive or anything, I just think I remember it being on the market during that period of time.

ABNAK
09-21-18, 19:18
Is that the LE6920SOCOM? The one with KAC handguard?

Yes. The box says "2013 Configuration" for whatever that means.