PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 16” DPMS to 14.88”

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 12:14
I’m looking for some help before I come up with a final solution. I currently have a 16” DPMS Sportical that I’ve had for about 10 years. Over 5k flawless rounds. I’m considering picking up a Surefire SOCOM suppressor, though, and I’m thinking the barrel is a little long. Wood there be any disadvantages to cutting the barrel to 14.88” and pinning a muzzle device? I’m ok with pinning my muzzle device, however, my primary concern is that the rifle will be under gassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
09-20-18, 12:20
In my experience, 14.88” is the ideal length for optimum gassing.

docsherm
09-20-18, 12:30
What muzzle device will you pin?

Outlander Systems
09-20-18, 12:40
Definitely be sure to secure the existence of its future with Rocksett.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 12:41

I’ve more or less decided on the Surefire 4 prong as it’s clone correct.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 12:42

Is that what the manual calls for?

contax_shooter
09-20-18, 12:42
I strongly recommend reading the TDP.

docsherm
09-20-18, 12:47
Is that what the manual calls for?

Yes, and I think there is one for sale on the EE. You may want to look there.

GTF425
09-20-18, 13:18
DPMS? Really dude?

>DPMS
>poorfag detected

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 13:23
DPMS? Really dude?

>DPMS
>poorfag detected

What’s wrong with DPMS? My cousin carried one as a contractor in Iraq and never had any issues.

Edit: also, sir, not all of us are privileged with a good job. I work long hours in the phosphate mines and while it doesn’t pay well, it’s the best I can do. At least I’m not jobless. I’d get a second job but I spend a lot of my off time building crosses for the locals.

mack7.62
09-20-18, 13:36
Seems like false economy to pay $$ to cut/pin a barrel with 5000 rounds on it. Also be advised the 4 prong Surefire's run 2-3 times the cost of the 3 prong due to supply and demand.

contax_shooter
09-20-18, 13:42
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1866/43898177945_3943c76322_b.jpg

Outlander Systems
09-20-18, 13:45
This. Outside of autistic clonefags, the SF4P is a downgrade from the 3P.

Seems like false economy to pay $$ to cut/pin a barrel with 5000 rounds on it. Also be advised the 4 prong Surefire's run 2-3 times the cost of the 3 prong due to supply and demand.

docsherm
09-20-18, 14:03

That is a real good point. If you want to make a custom build then you may want to look at getting a new barrel and then cut it.

markm
09-20-18, 14:10
DPMS is a mile away from the TDP. That said, if you have one that's run good for you, 5k isn't a lot of rounds. And there's no chance of being under gassed... even chopped and without the can. What you want to do will probably work. If anything, you may end up needing a little heavier buffer.

RobertTheTexan
09-20-18, 14:26
I’m looking for some help before I come up with a final solution. I

Sounds like you need my 2005 circa 16” Del-Ton Special Edition barrel.... with custom paint job.
I mean when I think of “The Final Solution” in a non November-Foxtrot way, I immediately think of my 16” Del-Ton barrel. You should too.

Did I mention it’s a Special Edition with custom paint?

BFS
09-20-18, 15:30
Slow day at work today or what?

You should quit your day job and write comedy.

Todd.K
09-20-18, 15:48
A carbine gas 16" can be cut to 14" without changing the gas port.

Consider threading 5/8-24 if a compatible muzzle device can be had.

Consider the cost of a new (or even lightly used) barrel in the configuration you want vs the cost of cutting and threading.

Decide if you want to make a clone or not, and just do what makes you happy with the muzzle device.

GH41
09-20-18, 16:14
What’s wrong with DPMS? My cousin carried one as a contractor in Iraq and never had any issues.

Edit: also, sir, not all of us are privileged with a good job. I work long hours in the phosphate mines and while it doesn’t pay well, it’s the best I can do. At least I’m not jobless. I’d get a second job but I spend a lot of my off time building crosses for the locals.

My thoughts... How much will it cost to cut, crown and thread your $150 used barrel? I would also worry about losing the the larger diameter flange on the skinny barrel.

Iraqgunz
09-20-18, 16:35
Not sure if this is slow day trolling or not so we'll indulge it. The last thing I would do is take a DPMS barrel and spend any amount of money cutting it down, pinning and welding or anything else.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 16:39
My thoughts... How much will it cost to cut, crown and thread your $150 used barrel? I would also worry about losing the the larger diameter flange on the skinny barrel.

Sorry I should have stated... the OEM barrel has been replaced with a Wilson bull barrel. I’m looking at having Marvin Pitts dimple/cut it.

docsherm
09-20-18, 16:41
Sorry I should have stated... the OEM barrel has been replaced with a Wilson bull barrel. I’m looking at having Marvin Pitts dimple/cut it.

So are you referring to a Stainless Steel barrel?

RobertTheTexan
09-20-18, 16:44

Since it’s only a 16” barrel and we all know they aren’t long enough to be that accurate, I would also have him re-profile it to a lightweight profile and then dimple it. I did have a barrel dimpled by Mr. Pitts and it is hanging above my fireplace mantle.

Todd.K
09-20-18, 17:00
Since it’s only a 16” barrel and we all know they aren’t long enough to be that accurate...

I don't know if you are serious and that uninformed or trolling, but neither should be in the technical forum.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 18:43
So are you referring to a Stainless Steel barrel?

I’m honestly not sure. I got it second hand from my cousin. He said it’s what was on his rifle he used in MARSOC before getting out and contracting. I think it’s coated in bake-a-lite or whatever you call it, it’s black in color. It only says “Wilson SS 1/8” towards the muzzle.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 18:44
Since it’s only a 16” barrel and we all know they aren’t long enough to be that accurate, I would also have him re-profile it to a lightweight profile and then dimple it. I did have a barrel dimpled by Mr. Pitts and it is hanging above my fireplace mantle.

The barrel as it currently sits shoots just under MOA so obviously that’s not true that 16” barrels can’t be accurate. Also why is your barrel hanging over your mantle and not hanging on a rifle?

grizzman
09-20-18, 18:51
While I might mod a CHF 4150 barrel with 5K rounds through it, (for a really good reason) I wouldn't mess with a stainless barrel....which is what SS denotes.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-20-18, 18:56
While I might mod a CHF 4150 barrel with 5K rounds through it, (for a really good reason) I wouldn't mess with a stainless barrel....which is what SS denotes.

Lol that makes sense now. I thought it might stand for Stainless steal but I also wasn’t sure if it stood for something like “special steal” as I’ve been told Wilson uses a special steal in their barrels.

Iraqgunz
09-20-18, 19:14
Too much nonsense here to be taken seriously.

hk_shootr
09-20-18, 20:17
Wow......I’m confused

Outlander Systems
09-20-18, 20:18
The SS from Wilson Combat stands for, “Super Sniper.”

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/super-sniper/

Lol that makes sense now. I thought it might stand for Stainless steal but I also wasn’t sure if it stood for something like “special steal” as I’ve been told Wilson uses a special steal in their barrels.

grizzman
09-20-18, 20:25
Ahhhh, the elusive DPMS 16" Wilson Combat Super Sniper. :)

Ryno12
09-20-18, 20:27
Not sure if this is slow day trolling or not so we'll indulge it. The last thing I would do is take a DPMS barrel and spend any amount of money cutting it down, pinning and welding or anything else.

“The Little Shop of Trollers” has been off for a week, so it was time to get the band back together.

It’s always pretty obvious, but I’m still surprised at the amount of people that continually fall for their BS.

Outlander Systems
09-20-18, 20:42
I legit lol’d at this.

Ahhhh, the elusive DPMS 16" Wilson Combat Super Sniper. :)

grizzman
09-20-18, 20:55
I'm unexpectedly stuck in a hotel room for the night, so have little else to occupy my time.

I actually have an old DPMS early-AWB-era 16" non-lined .223 Remington upper sitting in a closet. I sold off the lower over 5 years ago, and couldn't get him to take the upper, even for an extra $100. I haven't shot it in many years, and likely never will again.

docsherm
09-20-18, 21:10
I'm unexpectedly stuck in a hotel room for the night, so have little else to occupy my time.

I actually have an old DPMS early-AWB-era 16" non-lined .223 Remington upper sitting in a closet. I sold off the lower over 5 years ago, and couldn't get him to take the upper, even for an extra $100. I haven't shot it in many years, and likely never will again.

I have a DPMS Lower that is almost 20 years old. It is a SBR and has been refitted with CMT parts and that this has about 45K through it.

MegademiC
09-20-18, 21:34
I’m honestly not sure. I got it second hand from my cousin. He said it’s what was on his rifle he used in MARSOC before getting out and contracting. I think it’s coated in bake-a-lite or whatever you call it, it’s black in color. It only says “Wilson SS 1/8” towards the muzzle.

Iirc they use Melotite- better than chrome lining(no chance of flaking , chipping, or peeling). More accuracy.
Might want to take it to 14.7” for moar weight reduction for better transisions.