PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Rifles

Travelingman
10-30-08, 05:47
Does anyone have one, and how would you rate the quality?

matthewdanger
10-30-08, 06:40
I have a Sabre upper (16" middy, gov't profile). It is excellent. It has park in all the right places, the stakes are good, and it has run several classes without a bobble. I am very very pleased.

pmarcusm
10-30-08, 07:12
They are great rifles. They use vanadium in the barrels, which makes for a really tough barrel. I use to make knives and the steels that had vanadium held an edge for a long time.
My understanding through the rumor mill is that they won the government contract over Colt.

csun_00
10-30-08, 07:19
I have a 16" mid length on a DPMS lower and it is amazing. High quality and excellent finish. I can get 1-2 MOA with Irons at 100 yards. Talk to the guys at Talon Arms they have great deals.

scottryan
10-30-08, 10:14
My understanding through the rumor mill is that they won the government contract over Colt.

Not correct.

Sabre was awarded a contract. This does not mean Colt is no longer a supplier of M16s.

markm
10-30-08, 10:36

They were awarded a Gubment contract to build some guns. But Colt is still the M4 supplier to the US military.

SwatDawg15
10-30-08, 11:18
They were awarded a Gubment contract to build some guns. But Colt is still the M4 supplier to the US military.

Plus a good chance they always will be.

spamsammich
10-30-08, 11:45
Are they using milspec receiver extensions or commercial on their complete rifles? I have a middy barrel built on a Mega upper and it has been great so far.

markm
10-30-08, 11:50
Are they using milspec receiver extensions or commercial on their complete rifles?

Oddly enough, they seem to be using commercial REs. At least from the reports I've read here.

Max Collins
10-30-08, 12:20
I would rather have a Sabre rifle over a Colt. But I would rather have a Noveske over a Sabre.

scottryan
10-30-08, 12:32

And the M16.

Copis
10-30-08, 12:41
my sabre middy purchased as a complete rifle has a comercial RE tube....I was glad to find out that the magpul CTR came in commercial dimensions as well :D

mmike87
10-30-08, 16:04
I purchased a Sabre upper and an LMT Defender lower just because of the receiver extension issue. It's puzzling to me why a rifle that does so many things "right" ships with a commercial RE. I popped in an LMT FA BCG as I do not believe Sabre's are MP tested except at the batch level.

When I plug my Sabre / LMT hybrid into the "chart" it ranks quite well. It's been to the range a couple of times and has been awesome every time.

markm
10-30-08, 16:29
It's puzzling to me why a rifle that does so many things "right" ships with a commercial RE.

Indeed. It's easily swapped out though.

JCox
10-30-08, 18:05
I bought one back in May and have been nothing but pleased with it. I have had to call them a few times for questions only and the staff there has been nothing but pleasant, helpful and actually fun to talk to.

Cruncher Block
10-30-08, 20:43
Commercial receiver extension. CAR buffer. Castle nut is staked.

Bolt carrier is semi-auto and the firing pin is shrouded. Gas key is staked with 3 strikes on top per screw, creating three deep dimples instead of the "side crush".

Mine is a carbine length. I replaced the RE with a mil-spec kit from BCM and the bolt carrier group with an LMT. I also put in an H2 buffer.

Personally, I chose SDI because BCGs, REs, and buffers are easy to replace. On the other hand, the steel in the barrel isn't. I confess that I also got a good deal on it. I only have 250 rounds through it so far but no issues. PMags have all worked just fine.

maximus83
10-30-08, 22:13
Got a Sabre mid-length upper earlier this year, and though I had the $ to get whatever upper I wanted (my local shop carried all the usual brands except for Noveske), I was impressed with the outstanding barrel on the Sabre, the precision tight fit of everything, and the fact that they build everything in house. So far I only have about 2K rounds through it, but have had zero FTF's or FTF's, and the accuracy at 100 yards is close to that of a Rock River Predator (which is an 18" target barrel!!!).

I would highly recommend Sabre based on my limited experiences plus what I have seen reported by others. For example, just yesterday I saw a nice short blurb by George over at MadOgre.com. George is the ultimate AR-hater, his article "Why I hate the AR-15" is infamous. And yet he writes a glowing report about a new Sabre varmint rifle he just got, see the blog for 10-24 on his News page, where he says at the end: "Sabre Defence is my favorite AR maker I'll put a Sabre up against ANY other AR, production or custom." Maybe the Sabre will turn George into an AR lover yet!

Ned Christiansen
10-30-08, 23:51
Everything Sabre I've looked at and shot was good. I've had a chance to examine a few things rather closely and found that from what I've seen their stuff holds up well to a 10X loupe and a micrometer.

maximus83
10-31-08, 01:36
And the M16.

That's true. Sabre, along with Colt and FN, is only the 3rd company to get a major contract to supply M16's. Press release from Sabre back in July:

"NASHVILLE, TN (July 15, 2008)- Sabre Defence Industries, LLC (SDI), a government contractor for the manufacture of machine gun parts and accessories and commercial XR15 rifles, is proud to announce that Sabre Defence has been awarded an IDIQ contract for a minimum of 4,952 M16A3 and 702 M16A4 rifles to support the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and foreign military customers. Nine bids were received with Sabre being only the third company in the 45-year M16 history, besides Colt and FN, to be awarded a contract to supply a Mil-Spec M16 to the U.S. government. "

Also some related trivia, I just found an article from earlier this month stating that the Army had dropped Colt as their M16 supplier, and is going with FN at this point. I had not realized that Colt was out of the M16 business, at least as far as Army is concerned:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFD9113AF930A35753C1A96E948260

GaryXD
10-31-08, 06:43
My last two carbines have been custom builds with Sabre barrels, Sabre upper receivers, and Sabre lowers.

I thought about buying a complete Sabre carbine but when I added in the expense of changing the receiver extension, the buffer, and BCG I figured it would be more cost effective to start from scratch.

Achilles
10-31-08, 09:14
I don't know if it is a big deal or not, but they stress relieve their barrels. I heated mine up real good and proper and the barrel doesn't "walk" rounds anywhere. Stayed nice and tight.

Fire_Medic
10-31-08, 09:43
My last two carbines have been custom builds with Sabre barrels, Sabre upper receivers, and Sabre lowers.

I thought about buying a complete Sabre carbine but when I added in the expense of changing the receiver extension, the buffer, and BCG I figured it would be more cost effective to start from scratch.

I'm debating right now whether to go with the Saber M5 Flat Top 1:7 with the flip up sights SKU#90236 or to go with a basic LMT or Noveske N4 Basic.

I want to build one but this will be my first AR and I figure I'll buy one and make changes as I see fit and later on when I have more experience build my own.

mmike87
10-31-08, 10:23

I came to same conclusion - I bought the upper minus from Talon Arms and they will let you omit the handguards and BCG for a credit. I did so and added my own goodies to the order to get everything I wanted.

mario
10-31-08, 10:52
IIRC Rob_s chart indicated Sabre used a 1.17" RE. Is that mil-spec or commercial? I have a 14 3/4" Sabre with permanent FH and I'm very happy with it. Fit & finish is exceptional

scottryan
10-31-08, 12:11
IIRC Rob_s chart indicated Sabre used a 1.17" RE. Is that mil-spec or commercial?

Commerical

Travelingman
11-01-08, 11:26
Just came back from the range after I shot some rounds out of my new M4 carbine(just got it this morning). Thanks for all the great input, it is a great shooter....