PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 Inch Barrel with pinned and welded flash hider?

thegreyman
09-21-18, 13:37
Is having a pinned and welded flash hider an extravagant price to pay for a 14.5 inch barrel when you can have an AR 15 pistol with a brace?

redpillregret
09-21-18, 13:40
Just got with a 16” mid-length and an A2 vs an extended flash hider. It’ll give you versatility should you want to change components.

The 3/4” shorter length of a 14.5” won’t gain you anything. Don’t believe me, ask your girlfriend ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
09-21-18, 13:47
Is having a pinned and welded flash hider an extravagant price to pay for a 14.5 inch barrel when you can have an AR 15 pistol with a brace?

It has a niche. If you have no need to change gas blocks/barrel nuts, etc., it can work for an individual. Not sure what you mean by "extravagant price". They only heavy price is if you need to do something that requires removal of the muzzle device.

MistWolf
09-21-18, 14:34
The only reason to pin & weld a 14.5" barrel to 16" is to install it on a rifle lower. If it will only be installed on a pistol or SBR lower, there is no reason at all.

To me, there is a subtle difference in handling between a 16" barrel and a pinned 14.5. I prefer the handling of the 14.5 and consider the pinned muzzle device to be only a minor nuisance.

Vegasshooter
09-21-18, 14:57
I have NEVER been a fan of the 14.5 P&W. I always figured 16” was so much easier to deal with while building, could change it out easier, all the hassle for literally 1.5”. WELL.....then I started playing with the Noveske Afghan. The 14.5 really does handle better. Is it life altering? No, but it is a small amount of difference that is really noticeable. There’s only one other place that I can think of where 1.5” would make such a difference.
It’s lighter, quicker to handle, drives target to target awesome. I’m a big fan, and I admit, a convert. The weight isn’t JUST barrel either. On a 16” gun I run a 15” Geiselle rail. On a 14.5, I can run a 13” and get the same look, and feel. So, you’re saving weight on barrels, and on rails. Both can get heavy, and the weight is in the absolute worst place, right out on the end. Also, a great place to save it. Makes the gun more “lively” going target to target.

For ME, I’m now all about the 14.5 with mid length gas. I have run the HECK out of my Noveske. It won’t be going anywhere.

RHINOWSO
09-21-18, 15:02
People who complain about a P&W job spend too much time ‘building’ and ‘changing’ and ‘going in different directions’, instead of on the range with ammo, targets, and the smell of gunpowder.

And while the ‘pistol brace’ thing is very nice for administrative purposes (having a loaded pistol instead of rifle, or crossing state lines with an SBR length upper), for extended shooting there is no comparison between a legitimite stock vs a ‘brace’.

In the end decide what you want to do and carry on.

markm
09-21-18, 15:09
.....then I started playing with the Noveske Afghan. The 14.5 really does handle better. Is it life altering? No, but it is a small amount of difference that is really noticeable.

This! Once you're used to running 14.5", 16" feels unwieldy.

redpillregret
09-21-18, 15:11
I own both and I can’t really tell much difference. It doesn’t show up on the timer.

Who says you need a 15” rail to add weight to a 16”? 13” rails fit 16” guns just fine.

It’s just a rifle. Spend your time and brainpower shooting and becoming more efficient with a rifle in your hand. I can promise, if you’re competent or won’t matter which you choose.

MistWolf
09-21-18, 15:35
I own both and I can’t really tell much difference. It doesn’t show up on the timer.

Who says you need a 15” rail to add weight to a 16”? 13” rails fit 16” guns just fine.

It’s just a rifle. Spend your time and brainpower shooting and becoming more efficient with a rifle in your hand. I can promise, if you’re competent or won’t matter which you choose.

That may be so. I don't feel I shoot any better with a 14.5" compared to a 16", but I like shooting the 14.5" better and that's enough for me!

Stickman
09-21-18, 15:43
I don't look at a pinned barrel as a problem, but then again, it isn't like I only have one URG either.

If a buyer knows what they want, there are zero issues. If the buyer is uninformed, that is hardly the fault of an inanimate object.

VT RAIDER
09-21-18, 16:31
I don't look at a pinned barrel as a problem, but then again, it isn't like I only have one URG either.

If a buyer knows what they want, there are zero issues. If the buyer is uninformed, that is hardly the fault of an inanimate object.

Listen to this man, he is wise, experienced, and a phenomenal photographer!!!

Iraqgunz
09-21-18, 17:16
There are very few real reason for this. Compared side by side, the "advantage" is miniscule. There is an associated cost of the pin and weld and the slight upcharge to the muzzle device.

Of course, it becomes a problem should you need or want to make changes to rails, etc..

Wake27
09-21-18, 17:25
I used to think the 14.5 was best, until my Noveske started having issues. I just bought my first 16 and swapped the muzzle device in a few minutes with a vice, bev block, and armorers wrench. Don’t pin unless you really have to.

JediGuy
09-21-18, 20:39
I’m one of those people who like to put stuff together (not so much take apart) but don’t shoot enough. So take that as a caveat.

Currently, I’m putting together a 14.5” Colt SOCOM barreled upper. But no pin/weld, because I’ll drop it on my go-to SBR lower.
When it’s all together, I’ll see, but based on feel right now, the 14.5” doesn’t seem any more unwieldy (maybe even better) than the BCM Kino that I use most frequently, and perhaps a little less light and “flippy” compared to the Colt CCU. But, I’m expecting a little more accuracy potential from the SOCOM than the CCU.

TL/DR: Just have an SBR lower handy.

RobertTheTexan
09-21-18, 23:33

What do you plan on doing with the rifle and are you intending to use a shorter barrel on the pistol brace? Or is the brace an attempt to circumvent the pinning process?

I have a few 14.5’s. My latest is a Noveske Afghan and man do I love that thing! Like many things AR related, it is all about preference. Guys who tell you to just get a 16” and continue to march just aren’t enlightened. :) Pinning cost me as much as a case of Love Street Kolsch. So that’s a moot point to me. Plus doing it yourself isn’t as hard as you may think. You don’t need an arc welder or even an acetylene setup. You do need to understand what the law requires .
So go for it. (The 14.5 in general) However, before you do, please do your due diligence on muzzle device selection. Will you run a can now or in the future? Do you shoot at a fairly crowded public range or shoot with buddies? What’s your priority? Flash suppression? Minimizing barrel rise? Think about those things before you buy the MD. I pinned a Lantac Dragon and haven’t once considered swapping it. Another has an AAC muzzle device that works with my cans.
Personally I would not put a brace on a 14.5. If you invest in a good barrel, you can build a fine shooting rifle that is both accurate and also give you a sense of handling a shorter AR. That’s how it is for me.

MegademiC
09-22-18, 09:38
Muzzle device is the deciding factor for me.

If its 16” w/a2 vs 14.5 with extended device, not worth it IMO.
If you are using a supressor that takes an extended muzzle device, go for it.
Ive had my pinned 14.5 for 7 years and never thought about changing anything. Ill use it until the barrel is shot out then look at upgrades.

If you like to swap stuff out constantly or are afraid of commitment, dont do it.

wanderson
10-01-18, 19:44
When I did a lightweight pencil profile build years ago I went with a mid length 14.5” pinned/welded A2.

Wasn’t worried about overall length just wanted to save some weight.

I messed around with a few different muzzle devices on my first 16” upper which was WAY overgassed but wasn’t happy til I did the lightweight middy that was gassed correctly, so an A2 is all it needs.

But after building a few AR pistols with Shockwave & SB braces I’d probably just do a 12” upper with an SBA3.

On the plus side, I do like the fit of my Magpul STR stock w/Limbsaver pad.

TMS951
10-01-18, 20:20
I think an over looked consideration is that it is not difficult to change the rail on a pin and welded upper, it’s hard to change the barrel nut.

If you pick a barrel nut like a BCM or Geisele you have many different choices in rail length and attachment method that you could swap with ease. You are just married to that family of rails. I have a pinned uppper that started with a Daniel defense ris 2 that I swapped to a lite 2 of another build.

Caduceus
10-01-18, 21:11
Grant had some SOCOM 14.5 P&W a few months ago. I bought two and will give them to my kids, on SOCOM lowers, at the right age.

Mostly for cosmetics but also because they're good barrels.

sugerwater
10-02-18, 05:16
Pin and weld for me is a workshop job. Takes little time and I enjoy doing things myself.
16" carbines with bayonet mounts look ridicules. Carbines scream for 14.5 SOCOMS.

PatrioticDisorder
10-02-18, 06:12
Just file a form 1, silencer shop makes it ridiculously easy to do with their form 1 service, wait times are down.

AndyLate
10-02-18, 06:21
Just file a form 1, silencer shop makes it ridiculously easy to do with their form 1 service, wait times are down.

Yeah, but jeez $200 and a lifelong "here I am, Uncle Sam" sign for a 1.5" shorter barrel is a bitter pill to swallow.

Andy

CPM
10-02-18, 07:25
I have a single pinned 14.5”. My reasons are two fold:

1. It was a clone rifle to what 5th SFG is currently using. I pinned a SiCo Trifecta on a 14.5 SOCOM, as I don’t have a surefire can.

2. When I travel across the country shooting competitions, I want the shortest barrel I could get without filing a form to transport my SBR’s across state lines.

It’s a fantastic rifle and my go to competition rifle.

The Rat
10-02-18, 08:16
Yeah, but jeez $200 and a lifelong "here I am, Uncle Sam" sign for a 1.5" shorter barrel is a bitter pill to swallow.

Andy

It's not even a functional 1.5", it's more like 0.2". A 14.7" barrel is legal with a pinned/welded regular A2 flash hider.

For what it's worth, I really like my Ballistic Advantage 14" Hanson barrel. It handles well, shoots accurately enough for me (2-4" groups at 100 with bulk ammo) and looks good. But like others here have said, I was 100% set on my choice of muzzle device. (Suppressor user with matching muzzle devices on everything and no reason to ever change them.)