PDA

View Full Version : AR10 on KLM flights in case of attack...

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-21-18, 15:37
....by polar bears.

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/when-klm-kept-semi-automatic-rifles-onboard-to-defend-against-polar-bears.html

Believe it or not, there was a time in the not-so-distant history of commercial aviation when the possibility of a polar bear attack was considered among the more likely threats to passenger security. KLM even required a loaded AR-10 infantry rifle be kept onboard Anchorage, Alaska-bound flights in case crew members ever needed to fend off a hypercarnivorous beast.

According to Historical Firearms, however, the training didn’t actually involve firing the polar bear stopping weapon. Instead, crew members were told to “simply aim between an attacking polar bear’s shoulder blades.”

In a January 1984 letter from KLM to a gun collector tracing the provenance of the weapons purchased by the airline, a company official confirms that the airline purchased between five and six of the AR-10 rifles for use on the Polar Route flights. The airline noted that the guns were eventually sold to a Chicago gun dealer in the early 1970s.

My first thought was- only one? After a crash?

Fun fact, at least in Belgium, they call them 'Ice Bears', not polar bears.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/124413155349/klms-arctic-ar-10-in-the-same-year-as-armalite

With some pics.

Chicks are hot.
Stewardesses are hotter.
Chicks with guns are hotter.
Stewardess with and AR10........ goes to 11...

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-18, 16:04
Saw this on a FB page I follow a some weeks back.

Makes you wonder what happened to those AR-10's that the Chicago FFL bought from them.

I would imagine they are pretty rare.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-21-18, 16:12
Makes you wonder what happened to those AR-10's that the Chicago FFL bought from them.

Da' Bears......

If some in Chicago said they had a Dutch AR10 that was used to fend off polar bears on arctic flights, I'd have told them BS.

SteyrAUG
09-23-18, 23:53
Saw this on a FB page I follow a some weeks back.

I would imagine they are pretty rare.

Actually about 10 years ago there was a small flood of "pre sample" AR-10s (both Portuguese and Sudanese) on the market. I came very close to grabbing one a couple of times but more important matters kept soaking up my extra cash. Later I got to see some examples in person and I'm sort of glad I missed the boat, most had seen a full service life and parts and magazines were problematic (especially if you were keeping with original magazines). Would have been neat to have a historically important firearm in the collection but just like the Stg45 there were too many complications associated with owning and firing one.

I'm sure the KLM rifles would have been in dramatically better condition but they would have also been prices accordingly.

RetroRevolver77
09-24-18, 12:09
deleted

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-18, 13:38
Actually about 10 years ago there was a small flood of "pre sample" AR-10s (both Portuguese and Sudanese) on the market. I came very close to grabbing one a couple of times but more important matters kept soaking up my extra cash. Later I got to see some examples in person and I'm sort of glad I missed the boat, most had seen a full service life and parts and magazines were problematic (especially if you were keeping with original magazines). Would have been neat to have a historically important firearm in the collection but just like the Stg45 there were too many complications associated with owning and firing one.

I'm sure the KLM rifles would have been in dramatically better condition but they would have also been prices accordingly.

Yeah I would suspect the Portuguese and especially the Sudanese guns would be in rough shape.

Those Dutch KLM guns though were probably never fired once the airline took possession of them with the exception possible training their flight crews on them one time.

SteyrAUG
09-24-18, 18:05
I would by an A4 style AR10 in a heartbeat but no one makes one.

Pretty sure everyone makes one. Armalite, Rock River, etc.