PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Recommendation For Compensator

uranus
10-30-06, 17:47
Dear Friends:

I live in an AWB state where threaded muzzles are prohibited and muzzle devices must be permanently attached (pin and weld). Additionally, since the muzzle device is for an AR, which has a pistol grip, installation of a flash hider is illegal.

I am building a new rifle/carbine with a 16 inch, 1/7 twist, mid-length, stainless steel barrel and must permanently attach a break/compensator to the threaded barrel. It has a CMT/Stag upper and lower with an A2 stock and a LaRue 12 inch rail. I haven't decided on optics but will probably use a 1-4X scope such as the S&B Short Dot, Meopta, Nightforce, Horus, etc., depending on my then current budget, with a LaRue mount.

I previously built another AR with a Troy medieval muzzle break on a 16 inch barrel but would like to install a different device on this rifle and am considering the PRI/MSTN Quiet Comp. I primarily shoot at a busy gun club, so noise is a factor, to a limited degree.

http://www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=271&prd=273

Has anyone had any experience with this comp? I KNOW THAT WES LIKES IT. :D

I would also welcome and consider other suggestions. (No, I cannot move, although I would like to, but thanks anyway.) :)

Thanks for your help.

BravoCompanyUSA
10-31-06, 06:47
I have a rifle set up with the PRI/MSTN comp. It is excellent. I would recommend it.

Neville
10-31-06, 13:31
I can feel your pain. The main question with a brake is: does it enhance blast & flash? IMHO there is no brake on the market which doesn't. The EGW brake is horrible, so is the CavComp and even the PRI/MSTN - and all were billed as relatively quiet. There would be a huge market for a quiet and flash dampening brake in the assault ban states & countries. Too bad the Noveske is rated as a FH.

PrarieDog
10-31-06, 22:29
I have shot the OPS inc break and I liked that. The flash signature was alright as the ports are on the side. I live in one of the same suck states with the AWB. I am not crazy about a break on a semi auto .223. I put one of the Levang compensators on my 16" AR. Not a big difference in noise output. I does have a larger flash signature, but it is not any louder. It is nopt a pretty break and it does not seem to reduce recoil but for replacment purposes it works.

uranus
10-31-06, 23:14
Thank you for your quick responses.

I appreciate your suggestions and will look at these different devices.

Glockster35
11-05-06, 16:23
AK Concepts new Dave Neth DNTC compensator (http://akconcepts.com/default.asp?page_id=174&parent_id=44)

I have one, but have yet to get range time with it. It is said to be the quietest on the market today, and has just been released to the public.

I received mine for free for an evaluation!

FlyingHunter
11-06-06, 23:29
I have a PRI quiet comp and have been pleased with it's performance on my 16inch 6.8spc barrel. It does a good job of reducing muzzle climb and flash. Insofar as quiet...beats me - I always wear hearing protection.

uranus
11-10-06, 17:43
Thank you for the additional suggestions.

FALbert
11-11-06, 04:53
I believe Wes stated the PRI/MSTN brake did reduce muzzle flash so he could not vouch for it being AWB compliant for those behind enemy lines.