PDA

View Full Version : Acog TA33R8 vs Aimpoint M4

shad951
10-30-08, 10:28
Hi all......My new Noveske N4 Lite Reece 16" should be in any day. I already have mags, ammo. I have been watching the threads here for a few months in an attempt to decide on which optic to go with. The rifle will be a range gun only. Target shooting/plinking no further out then 150 yds at my range. I typically will shoot 25 yds and out. The 2 scopes on my short list or the Aimpoint M4 and the Trijicon Acog TA33R8. Keep in mind I have no experience with either scope. Last time I shot was an M16A1 in the Corp with iron sites only (longgggggg time ago) So I would appreciate any input pro or con on the 2 optics I am looking at for this weapon.

Thanks,
Dave

jtemple
10-30-08, 10:35
I'm a new AR owner myself, and went with the Aimpoint. Reason being, you can add on an Aimpoint 3x magnifier with a hinged mount, so it pivots out of the way. Then, you get the best of both worlds.

LettersFromEarth
10-30-08, 11:35
Get both;) If there is a chance your weapon may see Home Def use start with the Aimpoint. The M4 is great. Big Green cant get enough of 'em from what I understand. But you could save a few bucks by going with a 2 or 3 series AP insted of the 4 and not lose anything in the ability of your optic.

The TA33 is an ACOG and you cant go wrong with an ACOG. The Marine Corp thinks highly of them (TA31) and right now they're pretty far into getting one to all the Leather Necks (bet you never thought the Corp whould get away from Irons, huh?).

I happen to like the TA33 alot (but I do have more time riding on it than most other ACOGs.). Dont be fooled into thinking your making some sorta huge compromise in going with a 33. With all ACOGs you give up something to gain another. Its up to you to decide what you can live with or cant. Good luck.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Marine! A little premature sure but who cares :D

VooDoo6Actual
10-30-08, 11:42
Aimpoint T-1 w/ Aimpoint 3X

I'd go w/ T-1 over M4 (save a few onces of weight going w/ T-1 over M4 and by adding 3X weight) + Versatility, Target ID, etc.
Remember, you cannot use the TA33R8 for close up work T-1 w/ 3X allows that versatility...

On a "two way range" in a defensive position, you do NOT get to choose when the fight will occur...

You would not regret that choice.

caporider
10-30-08, 15:42
For target shooting and plinking from 25-150 yards, the TA33 is very hard to beat. The Aimpoints are faster on a fighting carbine, but their primary benefits are less important on a range gun. The TA33 has excellent glass, the chevron reticle is very brightly lit by the fiberoptic and is easy to see and use, and the 3x magnification is very useful for shooting at the ranges you list. Plus, the TA33 + Larue mount only weighs 9.4oz (vs 5.9oz for an Aimpoint T-1 + Larue mount), so the weight penalty is very minimal for choosing the TA33 over the T-1.

If you suffer from any form of astigmatism, the T-1 + Aimpoint 3x may be a no-go, as the magnified dot will look like an asymmetric blob instead of a sharp circle. The 3x glass is also not nearly as good as the glass in the TA33.

Again, if you were going to use your carbine for serious social work or in carbine classes, I'd echo the recommendations for the T-1 or M4, but for range use the TA33 is a great choice. That's not to say a TA33 could not be used on a fighting carbine, but there are definitely benefits to an Aimpoint over an ACOG when speed at close range is a big factor, when you're shooting in bad lighting/odd lighting situations, when contorted in non-standard prone positions, etc.

FJB
10-30-08, 18:37
Dave,
Watch www.downrange.tv/show2 video clips Part 2 & 3 before making your decision.

S/F