PDA

View Full Version : Yet another polymer mag on the market...

Slater
09-23-18, 11:56
Anyone familiar?:

http://www.portcityarmory.com/products

vicious_cb
09-23-18, 12:54
The most interesting thing about this mag is that its 3d printed which a f*** you to magazine bans.

Other than that I see no reason to choose it over pmags.

Slater
09-23-18, 13:06
A little start-up whose first product is a polymer mag. The next Magpul? :D

Slater
09-23-18, 13:13
The most interesting thing about this mag is that its 3d printed which a f*** you to magazine bans.

Other than that I see no reason to choose it over pmags.

Are they saying that the production mags are 3D printed or just the prototypes?

Moose-Knuckle
09-23-18, 13:30
I'm all for competition on the market and the American Entrepreneurial spirit but unless these things are going to be at a price point that will probably not cover the manufacturers costs I don't see them catching on.

I never bothered to remember all the names but there are more than a few companies besides Mappul churning out polymer AR mags.

Slater
09-23-18, 13:36
Quite a few - Amend2, Hexmag, Mission First Tactical, Command Arms, Daniel Defense, TangoDown, Lancer, HERA Arms, various Korean flavors, etc.

GH41
09-23-18, 14:43
Are they saying that the production mags are 3D printed or just the prototypes?

The prototypes. 3D printing is rarely used for production work. Way too slow structurally inferior to IM reinforced plastic.

26 Inf
09-23-18, 17:11
I'm all for competition on the market and the American Entrepreneurial spirit but unless these things are going to be at a price point that will probably not cover the manufacturers costs I don't see them catching on.

Prices range from $7.22 (Bud's Gun Shop) to $10.99 (Northwest Armory). Granted, could be loss leaders to build a market base, but the price ranges between Buds, C-T-D, Grab-a-Gun and Northwest Armory seems to indicate otherwise.

Slater
09-23-18, 17:34
Saw a couple YouTube reviews. They weren't very encouraging.

vicious_cb
09-23-18, 17:52
The prototypes. 3D printing is rarely used for production work. Way too slow structurally inferior to IM reinforced plastic.

So they arent even selling the 3d printing files? Lame

I like the whole idea of decentralizing mag production. Makes a ban that much harder.

AndyLate
09-23-18, 18:06
Quite a few - Amend2, Hexmag, Mission First Tactical, Command Arms, Daniel Defense, TangoDown, Lancer, HERA Arms, various Korean flavors, etc.

Tolman tactical poly mags are made in Alabama. I see then in stores here, but have never tried one.

Slater
09-23-18, 18:11
Tolman tactical poly mags are made in Alabama. I see then in stores here, but have never tried one.

That's another brand that seems to be well under the radar:

http://www.toolmantactical.com/

GH41
09-23-18, 18:15
So they arent even selling the 3d printing files? Lame

I like the whole idea of decentralizing mag production. Makes a ban that much harder.

Printing anything durable is fake news. Get over the printing angle. You can make anything you want out of anything you want and as long as you don't pay someone to help you it is legal. I can sell you a recipe for a lower made from breadcrumbs complete with the temperature and time to cook it but you have to stir the dough and bake it.

AndyLate
09-23-18, 18:25
Printing anything durable is fake news.

I agree 100% at the present, but the DOD is pretty heavily investing/interested in "additive manufacturing", of which 3D printing is a sub-set. It will be interesting how far 3D printing evolves in our lifetime. It's funny, I don't remember any of the old science fiction books or movies having people printing parts.

Andy

Stickman
09-23-18, 22:04
From what I read, only the first ones were 3D printed. The rest were from molds. What am I missing here.....?

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-18, 13:25
Prices range from $7.22 (Bud's Gun Shop) to $10.99 (Northwest Armory). Granted, could be loss leaders to build a market base, but the price ranges between Buds, C-T-D, Grab-a-Gun and Northwest Armory seems to indicate otherwise.

Spied them on CTD's site (I know, I know) for $10.27.

I picked up a ten pack of Lancers a few years ago for $8.99 per mag. I have also scored ten packs of M2 and M3 Pmags for $8.99 before.

At this point in the game I don't think anything is going to make me purchase another mag over sub $10 Pmags and USGI's. I'm boring like that.

26 Inf
09-24-18, 15:30
Spied them on CTD's site (I know, I know) for $10.27.

I picked up a ten pack of Lancers a few years ago for $8.99 per mag. I have also scored ten packs of M2 and M3 Pmags for $8.99 before.

At this point in the game I don't think anything is going to make me purchase another mag over sub $10 Pmags and USGI's. I'm boring like that.

Thats where I am - a few Lancers and over a hundred GI's. I'm out of the mag business for now.

macrodign
09-25-18, 20:17
The AR in the photo is super clean, probably eat off it. How much can a mag get improved upon? My DD ones haven't had any issue, course I'm not dropping from a second floor window. Looks pretty good, I hope they do well.

MistWolf
09-25-18, 21:10
I don't remember any of the old science fiction books or movies having people printing parts.

What do you think the replicators in Star Trek are?

Jsd1318
10-08-18, 18:07
I just stick with USGI mags

markm
10-08-18, 18:10
Anyone running the ETS mags for AR? I have one that I run every few weeks or so, and it's never had a hiccup. I read this the other day and couldn't remember the name ETS to make a post.

pgh_builder
10-09-18, 18:41
I'll just stick with my Lancers.

markm
10-10-18, 10:39
I'll just stick with my Lancers.

Are those the ones with the metal feed lip lining and the two piece body? I remember getting a few of those when they first came out and had the feeding problem. I gave them away, and never tried them again. Obviously they fixed the issue, but with all the options, especially pmags, it's hard to go back to something that didn't work for me.

AndyLate
10-10-18, 13:46
I am always happy to see a new mag manufacturer. I say let's manufacture so many AR mags that the very idea of any new bans is ludicrous. Let them be so common that every second hand store in the U.S. has a shelf full.

To be honest, it would already be a real effort for me to gather up every mag I have and I don't even half half as many as I want.

Andy