PDA

View Full Version : How to choose proper scope for the Ar-10?

Joe Damiron
09-25-18, 14:40
Howdy, everyone! I'm planning on purchasing an Ar-10 and was wondering what scope you guys would recommend for big game hunting? Based on my research, I'm leaning toward the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm scope. What do ya'll think?

TMS951
09-25-18, 14:47
Hunting where? What range?

What AR10?

I have two VX-6 scopes, I'd consider them 'good enough' but no that great scopes. If the VX-2 is a lower end scope than a VX-6 I'd pass.

markm
09-25-18, 15:09
I don't really associate big game hunting with an AR-10. ??:confused:

graffex
09-25-18, 15:09
VX-2 4-12x40 mm would make a fine hunting scope for a hunting rifle. It's a cheaper scope but a fine scope for the intended usage. I'd recommend buying the best glass you can afford though.

Hemoglobin
09-25-18, 15:15
What are you calling "big game?" A VX-2 has probably killed its fair share of deer here in Tennessee and Kentucky. I think wal-marts in my home town carried them.

KUSA
09-25-18, 15:17
I’m pretty sure they discontinued that scope.

Joe Damiron
09-25-18, 15:48

Hunting where? What range?

What AR10?

I have two VX-6 scopes, I'd consider them 'good enough' but no that great scopes. If the VX-2 is a lower end scope than a VX-6 I'd pass.

VX-2 4-12x40 mm would make a fine hunting scope for a hunting rifle (https://scopesfield.com/best-scope-for-ar-10-rifles/). It's a cheaper scope but a fine scope for the intended usage. I'd recommend buying the best glass you can afford though.

I’m pretty sure they discontinued that scope.

What are you calling "big game?" A VX-2 has probably killed its fair share of deer here in Tennessee and Kentucky. I think wal-marts in my home town carried them.

Maybe, but I definitely go deer hunting!

Big game hunting. Around 500m. I'm probably going to settle in with the VX-2.

Thanks for your input, Graffex! I'm settling in with the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 mm :)

GH41
09-25-18, 15:58

If he is down south shooting skinny whitetails under 200 yds with a 1.5MOA rifle he might be OK.

sasquatchoslav
09-25-18, 15:58
That will work fine. I have a beat up old Nikon 3-9 on mine I've dropped so many deer, coyotes and hogs with it out to 386 yards(hog). Also use a thermal on it for night hogs/yotes. Not sure I'd classify any of those as 'big game' our deer are not big(get a few hogs in the 350 class every year, but most under that), but I get what you mean and that Leupy you are talking about is a much better quality of glass than the Nikon and a 4-12 is way more mag than you need. Friend uses a DPMS 308 Lite Hunter/4-16 Vortex to drop Montana Elk so it'll do just fine.

Watrdawg
09-25-18, 16:00
I hunt with a LMT MWS quite a bit. It's topped with Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42 scope. I've also shot out to 600 yards at steel with this scope a lot. This scope does everything I want it to and I've killed a ton of deer with it over the last couple of years. Last year I shot a nice doe at 403 yards and wasn't worried a bit about the shot. Over the last 30+ years I've put Leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. They have all been very good scopes. However I never went below VX3's. The VX2 is a good moderate price scope but I don't think it is what you are looking for. If I were to buy another Leupold it would be in the VX6 or 5 range.

NYH1
09-25-18, 16:03
Maybe, but I definitely go deer hunting!

Big game hunting. Around 500m. I'm probably going to settle in with the VX-2.

Thanks for your input, Graffex! I'm settling in with the Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 mm :)
I've used a bunch of VX-2 scopes. Never had any issues with them.

Good luck, NYH1.

sasquatchoslav
09-25-18, 17:45
I hunt with a LMT MWS quite a bit. It's topped with Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42 scope. I've also shot out to 600 yards at steel with this scope a lot. This scope does everything I want it to and I've killed a ton of deer with it over the last couple of years. Last year I shot a nice doe at 403 yards and wasn't worried a bit about the shot. Over the last 30+ years I've put Leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. They have all been very good scopes. However I never went below VX3's. The VX2 is a good moderate price scope but I don't think it is what you are looking for. If I were to buy another Leupold it would be in the VX6 or 5 range.

Heck of a shot at 403. Don't ever have to take shots that long at deer here, but get those shots for hogs and coyotes all the time. 308 is more than capable at those ranges my buddy has put down more than a few thick Elk in Montana in the 3-400 range with his DPMS 308

Watrdawg
09-25-18, 18:53
Where I hunt we have a blind on an old dirt road along a river. Shots can be less than 50 yards at times and before the road takes a turn it’s a little over 500 yards. The day shot this Doe was the day after shooting steel gongs out to 600 yards. She came out and was eating clover standing broadside. I ranged her so I knew exactly how far out she was. Easy shot. Our hunt club has multiple food plots that are easily 300 - 400 yards long. We also have a ton of Doe and the state gives us 75 to 100 extra Doe tags. We try to kill as many as possible.

Iraqgunz
09-25-18, 21:38
Start by posting it in the correct area.