PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

jp0319
10-30-08, 13:40
Ok first off, Hi I am new to this forum I have owned one M4 (Bushmaster) I have one on the way a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T. I am nowhere near as knowledgable as I would like to be but I do have 14 years experience with the M16 / M4 Platform from the Military. I have a few questions. 1) I have seen the term SBR used a lot while cruzing the forum what does this mean. 2)I see a lot of short barreled and automatic carbines, how do you go about (legaly) buying those items. I ask because I am interested in building a short 10-12 inch barreled upper for my Smith once I get it.

Thaks ahead of time for the help.

C4IGrant
10-30-08, 13:49
Ok first off, Hi I am new to this forum I have owned one M4 (Bushmaster) I have one on the way a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T. I am nowhere near as knowledgable as I would like to be but I do have 14 years experience with the M16 / M4 Platform from the Military. I have a few questions. 1) I have seen the term SBR used a lot while cruzing the forum what does this mean. 2)I see a lot of short barreled and automatic carbines, how do you go about (legaly) buying those items. I ask because I am interested in building a short 10-12 inch barreled upper for my Smith once I get it.

Thaks ahead of time for the help.

1. SBR = short barreled rifle
2. ATF Form 1 (for making an SBR) and ATF Form 4 for transfering an SBR or FA weapon.

As an FYI, most FA weapons (M16/M4) go for $18,000 and up. You cannot build your own.

C4

jp0319
10-30-08, 14:09
thanks, I found the answer to number 1 in a acronym thread. on number 2 I am more interested in the SBR 10-12 inch barreled upper or complete rifle than a FA version. So the process for the short Barrel is fill out a form? Is that for each one? I apoligize for the barrage of q's but you never know if you don't ask. :)

C4IGrant
10-30-08, 14:14
thanks, I found the answer to number 1 in a acronym thread. on number 2 I am more interested in the SBR 10-12 inch barreled upper or complete rifle than a FA version. So the process for the short Barrel is fill out a form? Is that for each one? I apoligize for the barrage of q's but you never know if you don't ask. :)

If you are going to make your own SBR (meaning using one of your already owned lowers) then you need to use ATF FORM 1.

C4

Detective_D
10-30-08, 14:38
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15253

There is alot of good info in the NFA section of this site on the topic of SBR's as well.

Welcome to the board by the way.
~D

jp0319
10-30-08, 19:51
Thanks again for the help I will probibly be posting a ton of q's over the next few weeks while I figure things out. I like to do a lot of researching before planning things out. I picked out the M4 I wanted the afore mentioned S&W M&P15T I liked the fact that it came with the quality Troy FF tube and BUIS less to have to add later. I am looking at parts and optics to add or change, and I really would like a short barreled upper so it would be a multiple use carbine with specific optics for each upper tailored for the ranges. I really like the ACOG for the 16" upper having used it and something faster on the short upper. Just ideas right now I probiply will not have the rifle off layaway until after this next trip to the sand box so I have time to think.