PDA

View Full Version : Cmmg 22lr conversion

sliver_back
09-26-18, 20:36
I have been eyeballing these kits for some time now. Came across good deal. 174.00 shipped for 3 x 25 round mags and the kit. Went ahead and picked up another mag and McFadden grip loader.

I had so much fun today with that kit. Shoots about 2 inches lower but darn accurate enough for me.

Great companion to the AR.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

omegajb
09-26-18, 20:42
I had an extra AR that my son wanted to use and I bought the conversation kit, they are fun to shoot.
I found there are other magazines that are less expensive and seems to run better than the ones that came with the conversion kit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CPM
09-26-18, 20:55
Can you quantify darn accurate enough? What’s a 25 yard group look like?

omegajb
09-26-18, 21:24
With a quality barrel, the groupings are good off a rest. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180927/cbc43960c1e9a255a993fd865814b810.jpg

HMsailor
09-27-18, 00:15
I had a parkerized first but it kept having FTF and FTE so a swapped it out for a stainless version. The only complaint I had was the pita to load mags. It also seemed like 22LR ammo tend to always had squib rounds too. So I eventually got rid of it cuz they ran dirty my AR.

ccosby
09-27-18, 00:55
I had an extra AR that my son wanted to use and I bought the conversation kit, they are fun to shoot.
I found there are other magazines that are less expensive and seems to run better than the ones that came with the conversion kit.

With the cmmg kit I personally use the better mag adapter that lets you use the smith and wesson m&p15-22 mags. The mags are usually cheaper, easier to load, and it has last round bolt hold open. I was having issues with the cmmg mags personally.

Now add drum mags to a f/a lower with the 22 kit. Yea....

4.5 cmmg 22 barrel with their bolt, anti bounce kit, sear adapter, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdMbo6Cj5U

I will say I had the gun at a mg shoot and the anti bounce weight managed to snap in half. At that point the gun had at least 700 rounds of full auto fired through it that afternoon and a few k fired through the upper before hand.

elephant
09-27-18, 01:08
I have a CMMG 22 conversion kit, but I have to say, that the bronze bushing on the front of the BGG doesn't fit Noveske barrels or DD barrels and I found it hard to use a PRI, Geissele or Radian charging handle. I think these were designed for use in standard AR platforms with OEM parts. I got my kit back in 2014-2015 and I know the released an updated kit around 2017-ish and I don't know if they modified the kit at all to fit AR's with aftermarket components or not.

omegajb
09-27-18, 04:00
I have a CMMG 22 conversion kit, but I have to say, that the bronze bushing on the front of the BGG doesn't fit Noveske barrels or DD barrels and I found it hard to use a PRI, Geissele or Radian charging handle. I think these were designed for use in standard AR platforms with OEM parts. I got my kit back in 2014-2015 and I know the released an updated kit around 2017-ish and I don't know if they modified the kit at all to fit AR's with aftermarket components or not.I had the same problem with my PSA barrel, I called CMMG and they said I could take some sandpaper and lightly take down the brass bushings to get it to fit.

sliver_back
09-27-18, 11:42
I had a parkerized first but it kept having FTF and FTE so a swapped it out for a stainless version. The only complaint I had was the pita to load mags. It also seemed like 22LR ammo tend to always had squib rounds too. So I eventually got rid of it cuz they ran dirty my AR.https://youtu.be/D2OuxhqtqIM

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Stickman
09-27-18, 15:13
Can you quantify darn accurate enough? What’s a 25 yard group look like?

I have found accuracy with AR .22 uppers is never fantastic, but then again, I'm not sure of anyone who is shooting super accurate ammo through them either. It is usually cheap blasting ammo, or whatever was on sale at the time.

omegajb
09-28-18, 06:10
I have found accuracy with AR .22 uppers is never fantastic, but then again, I'm not sure of anyone who is shooting super accurate ammo through them either. It is usually cheap blasting ammo, or whatever was on sale at the time.I found the quality of the ammo makes a difference CCI .22 Long Rifle 40gr Copper Plated RN AR Tactical works well but the bulk thunderbolt ammo is spotty.

sliver_back
09-28-18, 06:47
I have had no real ammo issues other than thunderbolt is dirty and sometimes light charge.

Next week i am going to see what accuracy I can get. 25,50 and 100yards

Mrgunsngear
09-30-18, 12:06
In my experience, plated ammo is more reliable than exposed lead ammo as a general rule

opngrnd
09-30-18, 12:33
My buddy has a CMMG 22lr upper. Does best so far with CCI Mini-Mags.

Wake27
09-30-18, 13:25
That is significantly cheaper, but I think that the M&P 15-22 is superior. The only downside (depending where you live) is that it’s another firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opngrnd
09-30-18, 13:32
That is significantly cheaper, but I think that the M&P 15-22 is superior. The only downside (depending where you live) is that it’s another firearm.

I was under the impression that S&W's offering had issues with firing out of battery. Only reason I've never picked one up.

Wake27
09-30-18, 13:35
I was under the impression that S&W's offering had issues with firing out of battery. Only reason I've never picked one up.

That’s news to me. The first run had some problems with feeding or extracting IIRC, but they quickly identified and fixed the issue by using a different spring that they colored blue to distinguish it from the problematic model. I bought mine years ago and have put a few thousand through it without any issues, aside from typical .22 drama between different ammo types.

opngrnd
09-30-18, 14:24
That’s news to me. The first run had some problems with feeding or extracting IIRC, but they quickly identified and fixed the issue by using a different spring that they colored blue to distinguish it from the problematic model. I bought mine years ago and have put a few thousand through it without any issues, aside from typical .22 drama between different ammo types.

Good deal. They got to the point the were banned at Appleseed matches, never heard if they were fixed.

26 Inf
09-30-18, 14:44
With the cmmg kit I personally use the better mag adapter that lets you use the smith and wesson m&p15-22 mags. The mags are usually cheaper, easier to load, and it has last round bolt hold open. I was having issues with the cmmg mags personally.

Second that. This is the adapter I use: https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

I have plenty of BlackDog mags to loan to folks who use my loaner bolts (see below) but I run the S&W's in the dedicated 22 Training Rifle.

26 Inf
09-30-18, 14:46

I posted this a couple years ago. Since then I bought two additional conversion bolts to loan to other shooters (primarily sons ands gandsons) during a sale)

Earlier this year I put together a dedicated 22 rifle for my daughters using the following parts:

CMMG 20 inch barrel with sight
CMMG Bravo Conversion
CMMG Barrel Collar
CMMG Anti-Jam Charging Handle
BCM Upper (blem)
A2 Handguards
PSA 6/3 Carry Handle (sale)
PSA Complete Lower (sale)
Blackdog 30 round mag x 2
Blackdog 10 round mag x 2

I have about 850.00 total in the rifle and magazines.

The daughters both have Marlin 90 rifles with Tech-Sight aperture sights, I went with this build over purchasing a M&P 15-22 in order for them to have a dedicated CMP training rifle and something suitable for .22 3gun (they have M&P 22's and GSG 1911-22's plus a 20ga 870). We are doing a couple of Appleseeds this summer and I hope to finish with the KD Appleseed at Raton in October. Depending on how that goes I'll build another .22 like this one.

I had some initial problems with FTE's. I had degreased everything, treated the bore with Kroil, cleaned, then lubed the conversion. I left the chamber dry as I could. After the FTE's I polished/scrubbed the chamber with a .22 brush, cleaned and tried again. Nope. At this point I felt it was the extractor, even though it looked fine the spring seemed weak. I called CMMG and talked with tech support. They suggested that I 'buzz' the chamber a little more aggressively than I had. I purchased a pack of 3 Bore-Tech 6mm brushes at the LGS, chucked one into the drill (electic for some RPM) dunked it into some Brush Research honing oil and went to town for about 45 seconds. Cleaned it up and went back to the range.

(NOTE THIS IS FOR A DEDICATED BARREL)

As I reported in an earlier post - it worked fine. I sighted it in and then, dang I just was having so much fun I went through most of a brick of Federal Auto Match. I am hoping that the groups tighten up as I/they get some more rounds through it - it isn't shooting as good as their Marlin 60's.

I think, that depending on what you want the .22 AR for, this is an easy, fun way to get a good CMP training rifle. You can get an M&P 15-22 for about 1/2 - 2/3 what I have in this, but it doesn't fit my specific needs/desires as well. Plus, you have a lower you can use with another upper.

Just thought this might be useful.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168664-Dedicated-22-Trainer-for-the-Daughters