PDA

View Full Version : S&w M&P 2.0 9mm vs .45

Ron3
09-28-18, 13:04
My G19's have become house/car guns. They've moved pretty far down the list as far as guns I like shoot so it's time to change.

Really like the M&P 2.0 Sheild .45 (got mine back in trade because I missed it) and now I want my house/car pistols to match.

Since this will mean new mags and a holster (I always get a quality holster for a gun I may carry) I'm starting from scratch here.

I'm deciding between 4 guns. The 9mm 2.0 5-inch, full size or compact or a 2.0 .45. (No manual safeties)

My Sheild has a decent trigger and I expect the same from the larger 2.0's. I most likely would be changing any internal parts.

I'm impressed with the mild recoil of the Sheild .45. Is the full-size 2.0 .45 the same in this regard?

How do the grips of these guns differ? (Medium sized hand) Handling/recoil characteristics? Reliability? Accuracy? Holster options today? Mag availability and price 9mm vs. .45?

I think the largest mags are 17 rd 9mm and 14 rd .45, right?

SilentRecon
09-28-18, 13:25
My G19's have become house/car guns. They've moved pretty far down the list as far as guns I like shoot so it's time to change.

Really like the M&P 2.0 Sheild .45 (got mine back in trade because I missed it) and now I want my house/car pistols to match.

Since this will mean new mags and a holster (I always get a quality holster for a gun I may carry) I'm starting from scratch here.

I'm deciding between 4 guns. The 9mm 2.0 5-inch, full size or compact or a 2.0 .45. (No manual safeties)

My Sheild has a decent trigger and I expect the same from the larger 2.0's. I most likely would be changing any internal parts.

I'm impressed with the mild recoil of the Sheild .45. Is the full-size 2.0 .45 the same in this regard?

How do the grips of these guns differ? (Medium sized hand) Handling/recoil characteristics? Reliability? Accuracy? Holster options today? Mag availability and price 9mm vs. .45?

I think the largest mags are 17 rd 9mm and 14 rd .45, right?G43 will solve any internal dilemma.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ron3
09-28-18, 13:59
G43 will solve any internal dilemma.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm choosing between these 4 guns to be house/car guns with the option to carry. I have other guns for primary carry. :)

grizzman
09-28-18, 14:39
I have a Gen 1 Shield, and out of the box, the M2.0 trigger is far superior. An Apex sear brought the Shield down to about 4.5 pounds with basically no creep....a damn fine trigger. The 5" has a bit of creep, and the striker is released at a hair under 6 pounds. Creep is minimal enough that if it settles in at around 5 1/2 pounds, I'll leave it stock, which is rare for me.

I shot a 5" M2.0 last weekend, and one arrived at my FFL yesterday. With carrying part of the plan, I suggest a full sized 4.25" model. I don't know how reliable they are, but +6 base pads are available, as well as 32 round (or some other high number.....I've no interest) aftermarket magazines. I also shot an M2.0 Compact on the same day, and as expected, it was similar to the 5", and I noticed no difference in the grip. They were rented one at a time, so I wasn't able to compare them directly.

I've never shot an M&P .45, so can't give any info on it.

Ron3
09-28-18, 15:26
I have a Gen 1 Shield, and out of the box, the M2.0 trigger is far superior. An Apex sear brought the Shield down to about 4.5 pounds with basically no creep....a damn fine trigger. The 5" has a bit of creep, and the striker is released at a hair under 6 pounds. Creep is minimal enough that if it settles in at around 5 1/2 pounds, I'll leave it stock, which is rare for me.

I shot a 5" M2.0 last weekend, and one arrived at my FFL yesterday. With carrying part of the plan, I suggest a full sized 4.25" model. I don't know how reliable they are, but +6 base pads are available, as well as 32 round (or some other high number.....I've no interest) aftermarket magazines. I also shot an M2.0 Compact on the same day, and as expected, it was similar to the 5", and I noticed no difference in the grip. They were rented one at a time, so I wasn't able to compare them directly.

I've never shot an M&P .45, so can't give any info on it.

Thanks.

Yea, the 5 inch is pretty long and not necessary for my intended uses. I think I can scratch that one.

grizzman
09-28-18, 15:52
If I didn't already have an old Glock 23, with 9mm barrel, I'd have likely chosen the full frame, 4.25" barrel option. An attractive price didn't hurt, though.

Thanks to the lack of a full beaver tail, it's still shorter than a 5" 1911. Lots of people carry those IWB, so it's certainly do-able, but hardly optimal.

I dry fired it about 100 times last night, so I think I'm gonna check out the trigger weight again. It averaged to 5 pounds 8 oz from about 5 pulls, so I'm gonna save some money and leave it as is. Ignoring the takeup, it's as good as most standard (Springfield, Colt, etc) 1911 triggers.

The Glock is my only semi-auto without a safety, and I don't plan to buy any more.

newyork
09-28-18, 18:56
Thanks.

Yea, the 5 inch is pretty long and not necessary for my intended uses. I think I can scratch that one.

They just released the 45 compact. Has a 4” bbl. I think it’s like the 2.0 answer to the 1.0 45 mid size. 10rd gun.

Arik
09-28-18, 19:23
I'm choosing between these 4 guns to be house/car guns with the option to carry. I have other guns for primary carry. :)I don't understand the difference. Can't carry guns be house guns? Guns don't know where they are.

I would keep the 19 and use the money not spent on ammo.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ron3
09-28-18, 19:44
I don't understand the difference. Can't carry guns be house guns? Guns don't know where they are.

I would keep the 19 and use the money not spent on ammo.

My carry guns are smaller than a Glock 19. But I do want the option.

Small pistols sacrifice caliber, capacity, and size to be more pleasant to carry and conceal. House/car pistols don't have to make those concessions. At the same time, house/car pistols are handier than long guns.

I already have ammo. Although not much .45. I'll have to buy more of that.

Ron3
09-30-18, 22:34
They just released the 45 compact. Has a 4” bbl. I think it’s like the 2.0 answer to the 1.0 45 mid size. 10rd gun.

I missed that! Thanks, that's another option!

scooter22
09-30-18, 22:42
2.0 Compact and Shield in 9mm are both great shooters. I was very accurate with both. I found the stock trigger of the Shield to be noticeably better than the Compact. However, I would probably Apex both. I also would not hesitate to carry either, and plan to do so.

Edit: The only issue I had was pinching my hand when inserting a mag in the Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron3
10-01-18, 08:44
Thanks, scooter22.

Indeed, my Sheild .45 has a decent trigger. I expect it to get better after a thorough clean, lube, and some shooting. (The 1st one I had did)

I chose the .45 Shield for its new 2.0 features. Also preferred it's slightly larger chassis over the 9mm/.40 size. It only loses one round. People had said it recoiled less than you'd expect and that is true.

I learned the Compact 2.0 .45 has a 4.0 inch barrel and the full size has a 4.6 inch. That is the only difference. The grip length is the same.

My preferred holster makers list holsters for the 4.6 barrels but not yet the 4.0's.

I saw the 9mm Compact is available with a 4 inch barrel or a shorter one. (3.6?) I'd prefer the 4.0.

I'll have to get to a store and check these models in person side by side.

Ron3
10-08-18, 00:09
Does anybody have the weights of the 2.0 9mm Compact, 9mm full size, and .45 full size?

I'm not sure S&W's published numbers are correct.

Also, I can't find a side-by-side pic of the 9mm's and .45's. The .45 is thicker, right? Grip? Slide?

I've looked at many reviews and can't find these answers.

Watrdawg
10-08-18, 09:33

If the 45 Compact is anything like my 45 Midsize I'd hop on it. My 45 Middy is probably the most accurate striker fired handgun I own. I've put 7000-8000 rounds through it without any issues. Multiple classes and general carry.

As an EDC gun I carried a G19 for the last 3-4 years and just switched to the M&P 9mm 2.0 compact. My G19 has a Wilson match barrel and an Apex flat trigger and the Vickers slide stop and mag release. When I got my M&P 2.0 I dropped in a Apex barrel and the Apex FSS with Flat faced trigger. So basically the 2 weapons are set up the same. Hands down the M&P 2.0 9mm compact is noticeably more accurate, the trigger isn't even comparable and it just feels like it belongs in my hand compared to the G19. The G19 has been given to my son and the M&P 45 middy is my nightstand gun with the 2.0 Compact being my EDC now.

Christopher
10-10-18, 16:53
Found this review of the M&P 45acp 2.0 Compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_lF4COvdc

Ron3
10-10-18, 18:16
Thanks.

Pretty good but he never compared the triggers between his compact 9mm and .45. Nor did he show them side by side to see if the the grip/frame is wider on the .45.

But he did discuss the inserts, hight, and slide. He also said he'd be making another video after shooting.

Arik
10-10-18, 18:19
Why not just go to a gun store and look?

Ron3
10-10-18, 19:18
Why not just go to a gun store and look?

The place I ship guns to "never" answers the phone. Two other places didn't have them. Another place is big enough that while they probably have one, they dont quote prices on the phone and are a 40m drive.

I usually review what I can through the Web and then just order.

Most places charge too much as well. Let's say I can buy a pistol for $400 plus $25 ffl fee. The store either won't have the gun or if they do will want $559 for it plus tax. If they charged say, $459 plus tax, I'd buy it to support local buisness and convenience.

Arik
10-10-18, 19:28
The place I ship guns to "never" answers the phone. Two other places didn't have them. Another place is big enough that while they probably have one, they dont quote prices on the phone and are a 40m drive.

I usually review what I can through the Web and then just order.

Most places charge too much as well. Let's say I can buy a pistol for $400 plus $25 ffl fee. The store either won't have the gun or if they do will want $559 for it plus tax. If they charged say, $459 plus tax, I'd buy it to support local buisness and convenience.Id take a 40 min ride to actually feel the gun vs listening to reviews. Order wherever you like but at least get hands on first. Saying it's thicker/wider/shorter is one thing, felling it is another.

This thread started on 9/28. From then till now you could have taken that drive a 100 times and either bought one or moved on.

If I listened to reviews online I'd never own Glocks

Father of 3
10-11-18, 21:55
I picked up a M&P 2.0 compact 3.6" in August and I love it. Holster selection specifically for it is limited, but it will fit all the 4" and up models. I got it to replace my G26.4 that my wife took up with. I carried the G26 with the +2 extensions to get a full grip. My M&P has almost the exact same footprint. Think of it as a Glock 26x. I sold my Shield a few years ago, but the 3.6" is basically a double stack Shield with the 8rd mag.

Ron3
10-13-18, 06:47
Id take a 40 min ride to actually feel the gun vs listening to reviews. Order wherever you like but at least get hands on first. Saying it's thicker/wider/shorter is one thing, felling it is another.

This thread started on 9/28. From then till now you could have taken that drive a 100 times and either bought one or moved on.

If I listened to reviews online I'd never own Glocks

I went and ordered the .45. I can always sell it and/or get a different model. (At least in the near future)

While a Glock 20sf is a little thick for me I'm sure the M&P is less so.

I chose the .45 because my Sheild .45 is a pleasure to shoot (and i shoot it well) and I think the wider, heavier gun will be even more so.

newyork
10-13-18, 06:49
Report back

Ron3
10-13-18, 06:58
Report back

10-4.

jppaul16438
10-15-18, 19:23
I decided to go with the 4" 9mm myself.

Ron3
12-23-18, 23:15
Report back

Well, not much to say, except I'm very happy with my purchase. I really like the 4.6" barrel.

I might be around 500 rds. No problems at all. The pistol is accurate and easier to get hits with than a Glock even though I had lots of experience with all kinds of Glocks. I've fired a few brands of ball and keep Ranger T's in it. (after firing about 75 rds of them)

The gun is fine totally stock. All I did was whiten the front sight and black out the rears. (all steel) The grip adapters are great. I use the smallest one but I could use the next size up as well. Trigger is fine. Like the .45 Shield, it recoils less than one might expect it to. I mostly use the S&W 14-rd mags because I got them cheap.

I think it's the best-shooting pistol I've had ever had. I can and have carried it concealed. But the weight does get a little old and the butt catches on some clothing. So I've been carrying the Shield .45 most of the time.