PDA

View Full Version : First F-35 crashes in South Carolina

elephant
09-28-18, 20:09
This is a $115M F-35B (VTAL) which crashed outside of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in South Carolina. This is the first crash since the F-35 became operational in 2006 and the first time a pilot ejected from the aircraft. The pilot ejected safely and was checked over for injuries.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-military-f-35-fighter-jet-crashes-south-181444331--sector.html

NYH1
09-28-18, 21:24
Well at least now they know the ejection system works!

NYH1.

MorphCross
09-28-18, 21:29
Happy to hear the pilot made it out.

The mass whingeing in the comments section for the report is the most amusing and low information 'saws' we are used to seeing. Things like that was a 100,000,000 that could be used for supplying computers to schools, or that was 115,000,000 that could be used to repair roads.

No. Not unless the Federal Government is taking money from State Income or Sales taxes it is not.

Averageman
09-28-18, 23:34

The mass whingeing in the comments section for the report is the most amusing and low information 'saws' we are used to seeing. Things like that was a 100,000,000 that could be used for supplying computers to schools, or that was 115,000,000 that could be used to repair roads.

No. Not unless the Federal Government is taking money from State Income or Sales taxes it is not.

Those who complain about Defense spending should open a crate of caliber .50 ammo for their M2 and find that the can opens to the side and you get a WTF moment and then figure out it is old enough to have been issued in Viet Nam or during the Korean War.

elephant
09-29-18, 00:06

The mass whingeing in the comments section for the report is the most amusing and low information 'saws' we are used to seeing.

The comment section on Yahoo! is better than the actual news they are reporting in most cases. I saw a couple of funny comments on how this would be a good Farmers insurance "Seen a thing or two" commercial.

RetroRevolver77
09-29-18, 07:40
deleted

GH41
09-29-18, 07:56
This is local to me. Not sure if it was intentional or luck but he put it down on an almost uninhabited island. One vacation home and dock. No injuries on the ground.

Coal Dragger
09-29-18, 11:08
Well at least now they know the ejection system works!

NYH1.

Might be the only thing on that aircraft that works as intended.

flenna
09-29-18, 12:58
This is local to me. Not sure if it was intentional or luck but he put it down on an almost uninhabited island. One vacation home and dock. No injuries on the ground.

That's good to hear. My parents still live in Beaufort so they keep me up to date on the happenings. My father was stationed at MCAS Beaufort back in the early 80's and I remember him walking me through the hangers while I ogled the F4 Phantoms.

elephant
09-29-18, 13:14
To be honest though, I'd rather see them put money toward the debt.

Cant pay off debt, our money would be devalued too fast. The debt is backed by AAA rated bonds in which you and I are the collateral. This way, our government can keep spending more than they make and you and I keep paying the tab through taxes.

MorphCross
09-29-18, 14:26
I saw a couple of funny comments on how this would be a good Farmers insurance "Seen a thing or two" commercial.

One vacation home and dock. No injuries on the ground.

J.K. Simmons, fire at will...:jester:

Jer
09-29-18, 15:45
Pretty sure this isn't the first one to crash. There was one in Las Vegas about 10 years ago I think too that had to ditch due to some wonky computer glitch as I recall.

Slater
09-29-18, 16:56
There have been some engine fires and emergency landings, but this is the first crash. Still no fatalities with this aircraft (which has to be some sort of record for tactical aircraft).

sundance435
10-01-18, 15:34
There have been some engine fires and emergency landings, but this is the first crash. Still no fatalities with this aircraft (which has to be some sort of record for tactical aircraft).

10+ years, not including very early testing, with this being the first hull write off crash. It might not be the best record (not sure what holds it), but it's got to be up there. F-22 has a spottier record, taking into account the numbers of both delivered (and considering that F35s flying now are still LRIP). Won't matter, though, because the anti-F35ers will use it.

Speaking of the F-22, there's been increased chatter about a F-22/35 hybrid if there's enough interest from Japan, who has always wanted the F-22 badly. All of the F-22 tooling is mothballed in Nevada. Any of you ever work with JASDF pilots? Wondering what there reputation is. I've heard the JGSDF dinged sometimes for the low quality of recruits.

Jer
10-01-18, 16:22
Actually, it was an F22 crash I was thinking of about 10 years ago. The above post reminded me. We were in Vegas for SHOT (middle of January) and I was looking forward to watching them take off and land @ Nellis AFB while we were there and the week or two before we got there (end of December) one crashed and all operations were on suspension while the investigation was underway since it was a relatively new program. I believe it was a computer malfunction ultimately and I also believe a pilot perished in that crash sadly. I hope my memory is off on that last part.

AKDoug
10-02-18, 01:41
Actually, it was an F22 crash I was thinking of about 10 years ago. The above post reminded me. We were in Vegas for SHOT (middle of January) and I was looking forward to watching them take off and land @ Nellis AFB while we were there and the week or two before we got there (end of December) one crashed and all operations were on suspension while the investigation was underway since it was a relatively new program. I believe it was a computer malfunction ultimately and I also believe a pilot perished in that crash sadly. I hope my memory is off on that last part.

He ejected and lived.