PDA

View Full Version : Is my Matech 600M BUIS a fake?

zippygaloo
10-30-08, 17:47
We all know China floods the market with poor quality knockoffs. I just purchased a Matech BUIS on eBay. How can I determine if it is the real deal or fake? It came lubed inside a blue plastic bag with instructions and red loctite on the screw. It did not have a cage number sticker on the blue plastic bag.

Photo #1
* Please note the ranging numbers on Photo #1. They look different than all the photos I can find on the web (the "3" on 300 meters isn't rounded and the "4's" on 400 and 450 meters don't come to a point at the top.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2987497647_3e9fea52f0.jpg

Photo #2
*Please note the machine marks (swirls) on the bottom of mine.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2987497567_ab3bd396b7.jpg

RAM Engineer
10-30-08, 20:01
We all know China floods the market with poor quality knockoffs. I just purchased a Matech BUIS on eBay. How can I determine if it is the real deal or fake?

Shoot with it until it breaks then buy a real one from Brownells.

zippygaloo
10-30-08, 20:39
Shoot with it until it breaks then buy a real one from Brownells.

I was hoping someone who actually knows how to spot a fake, might have responded. I'll keep waiting.

No.6
10-30-08, 20:45
My understanding is that on the underside of a legit one you will see Matech stamped into it, the bogus one's don't have it. At least that's what I've been told. Let me see if I can find one of mine and take a picture.

zippygaloo
10-30-08, 22:32
I posted some photos. What is your opinion?

midge4
10-30-08, 22:59
Hey Zippy,

I just recently purchased the same Matech sight that you are concerned about. I got mine from Botach for $99.00, and then they charged me a wopping $20.00 for shipping. Hope you got a better deal. Mine is not mounted yet so I went and got mine, and it looks exactly like the one that you have pictured. The numbers on the range look the same, and it has the same markings on the bottom. The mounting screw also has the red loctite. The only thing different is mine didn't come in a blue bag. Mine actually came in a clear molded plastic case. I have read somewhere that the first Matech sights had some problems, and then they finally corrected them with a newer more reliable version, maybe you are comparing yours to photos of the original version. I hope that you, and I didn't get the older version, and are comparing it to the new one. Hope this helps you out.

zippygaloo
10-30-08, 23:43
Hey Zippy,

...I hope that you, and I didn't get the older version, and are comparing it to the new one. Hope this helps you out.

Well midge4, based on my research I think we both have early versions (REV:A). I was originally thinking I got a knockoff (maybe I did, I still don't know for sure), but then I saw the BUIS pictured in this photo (http://i21.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/14/20/02fd_1.JPG) and it looked like mine.

So assuming that the pictured blue bag actually went with that BUIS pictured I concluded that mine could very likely be from the same group (even though my blue bag did not have a cage code sticker). Inspecting the blue plastic bag in the photo a bit closer, I notice the letter/number sequence DAAE30-02-C-1123. After doing a google search for DAAE30-02-C-1123 (http://www.google.com/search?q=DAAE30-02-C-1123&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and reading the resulting web pages, I came to the conclusion that I have an early version of this BUIS, probably '02-'03 ish.

Do you happen to know what the particular issues were with the early versions?

On a side note. Here is a cage code sticker (http://images36.fotki.com/v1174/photos/2/28682/677485/014-vi.jpg) from a 10/06 Rev:B (this is not the blue plastic bag that came with my BUIS).

midge4
10-30-08, 23:58
I don't know which were the early versions, but their is one thing that I forgot to add. On the packaging that came with the sight their is a picture of what looks like (ROD IRON GATES) that are opened, and under the picture it says (PICATANNY). On the right side of my sight it has the same thing marked on it.

zippygaloo
10-31-08, 00:11
I don't know which were the early versions, but their is one thing that I forgot to add. On the packaging that came with the sight their is a picture of what looks like (ROD IRON GATES) that are opened, and under the picture it says (PICATANNY). On the right side of my sight it has the same thing marked on it.

My packaging didn't have the Picatinny gates logo and the right side of my sight doesn't even have the Picatinny gates logo on the side! Can you post some photos?

Also, can you also do me a favor and revisit the BOTACH Tactical (http://www.botachtactical.com/maba60si.html) website and look at the photos they have posted there. The photos on their website look different than the photos I posted for my BUIS. Thanks.

midge4
10-31-08, 00:37
Zippy,

I revisited Botach, and yes the picture seems different. I would love to post some pictures, but I'm a new member to this forum, and haven't registered to a photo sharing websight yet. Hopefully soon, I'll get it done. I just ordered the rest of my parts tonight to complete the rest of my build for my LMT lower.

One thing for sure though, my Matech seems to be pretty solid. The sight really locks in place in the down position, and takes a little force to open it. How about yours? Also another indication to me that tells me that you did not get a cheap Chinese airsoft knockoff is the (red loctite) on the threads. An airsoft doesn't generate the force as a true firearm. I really think you got a genuine Matech. Mount it, use it, and you'll probably be happy with it.

I also checked my package, and their web address is matech.net. I couldn't find anything on their sight in regards of their weapon sight, but one thing for sure is, you may want to contact them, and I bet they will probably help out with your confusion..

Good luck my friend, and sometimes it's better to buy from a reputable vendor instead of (EvilBay)

zippygaloo
10-31-08, 00:49
Mine seems solid as well. It's fairly heavy for it's size. It's steel if you ask me, but then I'm not a real metal expert. What type of metal is used for knockoffs? My sight post locks down securely and it takes quite a bit of force to pop it up (I've heard that the detent holding it down is prone to failure).

I'm back and forth between thinking I got the real thing and thinking I got a knockoff. China clones everything and seem to be getting better and better at it. I'm thinking they could have photo copied the instructions, put it in a blue plastic bag, then lubed it, they put red loctite on the hex bolt, etc. etc. etc. all in an effort to fool you into buying it. But then why wouldn't they put the Picatinny gate logo?

The only reason I bought off of eBay was to use the live.com 25% cashback.

On a side note, does your elevation/distance selector slip off the hash mark between 300 meters and 400 meters fairly easily (slight push)? Mine does (towards the 300, not the 400).

The guy in this posting (http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=333682) (at top) seems to have the same BUIS as me (it doesn't have the Picatinny gates logo on the right side). I can't get a good look at the distance markings to see if they are the same.

And this guy (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931986) seems to have a REV:A too.

Iraqgunz
10-31-08, 02:49
zippy,

You have to understand that companies producing military gear and parts sometimes make changes to the product. It is entirely possible that you have a revision. I have no idea what you paid for the BUIS but I would quit overthinking the situation use it and see if there are any issues. Could your sight be a knock-off? Sure, it could. If you really have an issue contact MATECH and speak with them. Personally I don't see someone producing and knock off of a sight that isn't in high demand.

zippygaloo
10-31-08, 03:04
Ok. I'll just shut up and use it.

Iraqgunz
10-31-08, 04:06
Zippy,

By no means am I trying to discount your concerns. But, you may be worried for nothing. FYI- I have one on my carbine here in Iraq and a gun back at the house. The one here was purchased on eBay for about 66.00 and it was the real deal. It works fine and I have had zeroes problems with it. If yours takes a crap down the road or you determine it is bogus simply buy another from a reputable source and chalk it up to lesson learned.

Ok. I'll just shut up and use it. But if I find out that it's a knockoff I'm going to blame you.

Al U. 5811
10-31-08, 04:44
Matech - not if it craps out, but when it craps out. Seriously dude, I agree this China/eBay knockoff shit is way out of hand. Looking at your sight, it looks legit. I see hundreds (if not thousands) of them a year. The ball and spring detents like to fall out and the nub on the side wears down so they don't stay in the down position. They don't repeat worth a shit when removed. Overall it's a $50 BUIS. Not the best option out there.

zippygaloo
10-31-08, 15:15
The ball and spring detents like to fall out and the nub on the side wears down so they don't stay in the down position.

Where exactly are the ball and spring detents located? Can I prevent them from falling out? Also, is there a way for me to prevent the "nub" from breaking or wearing? I know it's made of metal, but everytime I raise or lower the sight I feel like I'm going to break the nub? Additionally, the whole middle section (inside the protective sides) will move slightly if I twist it. Is this normal? It seems like this would affect windage settings.

Shihan
10-31-08, 16:23
Email the pics to MATECH and im sure they will tell you what you have.

Al U. 5811
10-31-08, 17:07
The ball and spring are located in the elevation assy. I've never gotten one to stay in when they take a dump the first time. The whole sight gets replaced. The metal nub on the aperature post will wear after time. I usually tell people to get used to running the M4 with it up anyway, with the M68 (Aimpoint) that is. It's a replacement item. I wish the AF would go with something more durable but I don't get much say in the matter.