PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new 16-18 inch Precision barrel

Pappabear
09-30-18, 19:06
Hey guys, I have given up on the skinny Faxon barrel that I have fought and fought to make shoot good. I contacted Faxon to see if they may be able to do something, but if that doesn't work out I need a new 16-18 inch barrel. What would you guys buy? And where might you buy it?? I just need MOA, but I need MOA.

Shit fire and save the matches, my LMT 10.5 shot a touching group at 50 yards. I feel manufacturing has gotten really good these days, I just need good not great.

Its been a while since I searched for a barrel, so help a brother out.

PB

scooter22
09-30-18, 19:17
I don’t have experience with one, but have read good reports. Comes in 16” and 18”.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/products/16-barrel-mid-length-gas-system-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
09-30-18, 19:19
I don’t have experience with one, but have read good reports. Comes in 16” and 18”.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/products/16-barrel-mid-length-gas-system-1

Thanks Bud, interesting Ill check them out.

PB

Stickman
09-30-18, 19:20
Hey guys, I have given up on the skinny Faxon barrel that I have fought and fought to make shoot good. I contacted Faxon to see if they may be able to do something, but if that doesn't work out I need a new 16-18 inch barrel. What would you guys buy? And where might you buy it?? I just need MOA, but I need MOA.

Shit fire and save the matches, my LMT 10.5 shot a touching group at 50 yards. I feel manufacturing has gotten really good these days, I just need good not great.

Its been a while since I searched for a barrel, so help a brother out.

PB

PB- I would see what Faxon can do for you. I have one of their barrels that shots great, and I have heard good things about their customer service. Is there a thread relaying the issues? If so, can you send me the link please? I'm curious as to what you have experienced and what you have tried.

If you are looking for precision, Rainier Arms barrels have shot well for me, and they have a guarantee so if the barrel doesn't do what you want you send it back. Taken from their website:

We are so confident in our Match barrels that we will offer a 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase. If you aren't completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-matchtm-223-wylde-barrel-16/

Thanks!

ETA- I think everyone already knows that the owner of RA is a friend of mine. However, that doesn't change he is a barrel freak, and the barrels he has made shoot phenomenal. If you look at the review of the RA barrels, they are solid. There are plenty of other good barrel companies out there, but RA gives a pretty great bang for the buck.

Pappabear
09-30-18, 19:31
Stick,

Yea, I started a thread , Figuring out a new Faxon barrel, but I suck at links and copy and paste to get you there. But you can find it. I have tried and tried to make it work and got a few decent groups but it opens up like crazy most of the time. Ill get a decent group one week, then Im spraying bullets everywhere the next. I know these guys are good guys, so I sent their CS another note. Last time they said "try lighter bullets" and offered nothing. I have shot everything out of the gun and most fodder is 2.5+ MOA, everybody makes an inferior product sometimes but I didn't get the feel their CS was all about it. Im hoping they can trade me out any barrel, even a heavier profile barrel if needed to get accurate.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ill keep you posted.

PB

gaijin
09-30-18, 19:31
I’ve had good luck with Criterion barrels PB. They’re have some affiliation with Krieger.
The two SS/handlapped, then Nitrided, I’m using are both <MOA with IMI 77 gr.- which won’t come close to what you boys are loading.

sinister
09-30-18, 19:39
I've seen two Faxon barrels that convince me I wouldn't buy one.

Pappabear, if you want better than MOA, go to a machinist-gunsmith who will make you the barrel you want from a quality blank. Frank White, John Holliger, and John Scandale are just a few who cater to the National Match crowd.

A mass-produced barrel is just that. Throw raw rods into a hammer forge and you get whatever comes out, based on the quality of the initial bore drill and mandrels. Same with buttoned and broached barrels.

Cut barrels take a while to make, and a gunsmith who custom reams and finishes your chamber co-axial to the bore will more times than not give you a better end product.

ST911
09-30-18, 19:47
I've seen a bunch of sub-MOA Larue barrels, including my own. 5+ round groups.
Some friends swear by Proof.

Furbyballer
09-30-18, 19:51
Take a look at Monte's (centurion arms) recce 16in barrel or his mk12 barrel. Both will give you sub moa 10 round groups with black hills. Also, criterion barrels are also very good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
09-30-18, 19:58
PB,

I agree with Stick, you should chase this down. A 2 MOA precision barrel from Faxon is unsat imo. Has Nathan from Faxon chimed in ?? Usually he will jump in the Faxon discussions...Maybe you can get him involved.

If that doesn’t work out or you decide to try another barrel I could not recommend Ballistic Advantage enough. They also have a mil/LEO discount which makes their barrels even more compelling.

Here are some options. I know you said MOA, but these will give you sub MOA and they guarantee sub MOA. I’ve owned the last barrel on the list, it was a consistent tack driving SOB. I reviewed it with some shot group sizes in the review. BA does guarantee sub MOA performance and they shoot exceptionally well, especially the Hanson profile. I’ve built about 15-20 AR’s with their barrels and I have yet to have an issue with performance or finish.

I have an 18” fluted Faxon barrel at home, but unfortunately it is unfired.

Most expensive to least
16” 416R SS 223 Wylde
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-hanson-mid-ss-premium-barrel.html
16” CMV BA Hanson mid-length
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

16” Performance BA Hanson mid length
https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

18” Performance SPR CMV barrel, rifle gas
https://ballisticadvantage https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html.com/18-inch-556-spr-rifle-cmv-performance-barrel-ops12.html

everready73
09-30-18, 20:04
I have read Faxon recently had to switch the company that did their QPQ because of issues. Rough bores etc and some other people have reported similar issues as yours. Ask to speak with Pat at Faxon and ask for a new barrel.

If that doesn't work out for some reason, as Stick mentioned the Rainer barrels are good stuff. I believe they recently switched it the blank manufacturer for their ultramatch barrels. A member on the hide PADOM I believe had a thread in the semi-auto section testing a few different calibers. Intial results look very good.

I am not sure if your requirement is still for a pencil barrel, but groups will open up after some rounds no matter what due to the profile. Maybe try to have it replaced out for their Gunner barrel which has a little weight towards the chamber and pencil past gas block.

Ballistic advantage Hanson would be my pick on the value end. I would also look into:

Larue Predator or stealth barrels
White oak
Keystone Accuracy
Compass Lake

They all make high quality match grade barrels and would probably work for you if you are willing to compromise on the pencil profile. Even BA has an MOA guarantee.

nightchief
09-30-18, 20:10
I've seen a bunch of sub-MOA Larue barrels, including my own. 5+ round groups.
Some friends swear by Proof.

I have a 18" Stealth and it is a MOA barrel...not necessarily with me pulling the trigger, but the barrel is capable at 100 yards...mine likes Black Hills 77gr TMK and Hornady 75 gr OTM...If I was rolling my own, it might shoot tighter

https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-stealth-barrel-k/

JediGuy
09-30-18, 20:45
I’m not a marksman by any means, but I can say that of the four barrels I currently shoot (BCM gov’t 12.5, BA Hanson 11.5, Colt CCU 16”), the Black River Tactical SPR 16” shoots the best for me. Someone else would have to chime in about MOA, because I’m not there myself with anything yet. But it is accurate, and it is soft-shooting.

http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/optimum-barrel/#!/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-SPR-STAINLESS-Barrel-5-56-MOD0/p/113782749/category=1852006

dmd08
09-30-18, 20:56
My only direct experience in precision barrels is with a white oak SDM. It would meet your requirements. I think anything from white oak would really. I have BCM, Sionics, Faxon and BRT barrels but I've not seriously shot them for groups except the BCM standard govt. which has been surprisingly accurate.

You didn't say if you wanted stainless, chrome or melonite. If stainless wasnt a requirement then I'd say try a Criterion Hybrid. It will be my next barrel. I'm interested due to their accuracy claims and anecdotal evidence backing them up but without giving up the durability of chrome lining. Sounds like a perfect barrel if true.

TXBK
09-30-18, 21:02
Don’t forget about Sionics, down the road. I have one of their 16” medium-contour barrels that is consistently MOA-ish with 77 gr. CBC. I think you should easily see MOA of one, the way you (Mark) roll your own with 77 gr. SMK’s.

gunnerblue
09-30-18, 21:20
I’ve been very happy with my 16” BCM 410 SS. Sub-MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards. When/if it is replaced it will be with a 18” Compass Lake Bartlein blank/CLE chamber for the incremental gain in velocity and, most likely, accuracy.

Straight Shooter
09-30-18, 21:23
I’ve had good luck with Criterion barrels PB. They’re have some affiliation with Krieger.
The two SS/handlapped, then Nitrided, I’m using are both <MOA with IMI 77 gr.- which won’t come close to what you boys are loading.

Ive been looking at these, and decided on a 20" for a build Im into now. Almost went with the Sionics 18" tho.

Tx_Aggie
09-30-18, 21:55
I've been very happy with the Satern Machine, WOA, and BCM (SS410) barrels that I've owned in the past.

Corse
09-30-18, 22:00
I've been using a 16" BCM 410 barrel also. With match ammo I'm getting groups of .4-.7" (3 shots).

Pappabear
09-30-18, 22:01
Hey guys, thanks for the big response. I'll see what Faxon does and if not I'll follow the guidance offered here. Many Many thanks for your suggestions.

PB

opngrnd
09-30-18, 22:05
I'd go 18" Sionics or 16" BRT. I have a few K through the 18" Sionics barrels and am pretty happy with them. I have an 16" BRT on order.

Rayrevolver
09-30-18, 22:15
Is Noveske not a player anymore?

I usually buy them used, but Noveske has always performed better than the few admittedly milspec type barrels I have owned.

Here is an 18 SPR by Molon:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?7720-Accuracy-Evaluation-of-a-Noveske-18%94-SPR-Barrel

Recently I purchased a BA Hanson 16 cut down to 12.5. Will see how it does compared to a John Noveske era 12.5 GPR.

DGB
09-30-18, 22:26
I have a Wilson fluted 18" mid length that with 77 grain SMK tipped that has done 9/16 and 11/16 5 shot groups. My BCM 410 SS 16", on it's best day, not mine, it was in an actual rifle rest in a tunnel, did 3/4 with Hornady 75 grain (this was the best shooting ammo in this barrel). My WOA 20" SAM-R has shot 1/2.

AndyLate
09-30-18, 22:36
I hope Faxon can get you squared away. My 20" 5.56 Gunner shoots quite well for a light barrel, certainly better than 2.5" 5 shot 100 m groups with any decent ammo.

This is a .53" group shot with 55gr Norma FMJ:

https://i.imgur.com/kmhGLHD.jpg
Andy

Onyx Z
09-30-18, 22:51
+1 for Rainier Arms barrels. I have 2 original Ultramatch's and a Mountain Series that perform lights out flawless. I would recommend them to anyone.

Pappabear
10-01-18, 07:46
Is Noveske not a player anymore?

I usually buy them used, but Noveske has always performed better than the few admittedly milspec type barrels I have owned.

Here is an 18 SPR by Molon:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?7720-Accuracy-Evaluation-of-a-Noveske-18%94-SPR-Barrel

Recently I purchased a BA Hanson 16 cut down to 12.5. Will see how it does compared to a John Noveske era 12.5 GPR.

I have two Noveske barrels and they are good, however I feel like Ive scratched that itch and there are many other Manufacturers that make sub MOA barrels that shoot just as well for much less $$.

PB

Tigereye
10-01-18, 08:02
PB
I have this barrel https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/rb14.16.htm with a MUR upper that I picked up on the EE. The seller said that it shoots sub-moa and that has been my experience as well. And, I doubt that my shooting skills match you or Mark.
Eric

Pappabear
10-01-18, 08:06
PB
I have this barrel https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/rb14.16.htm with a MUR upper that I picked up on the EE. The seller said that it shoots sub-moa and that has been my experience as well. And, I doubt that my shooting skills match you or Mark.
Eric

I have a Centurion that is a shooter. They make god stuff for sure.

PB

TAZ
10-01-18, 08:49
I have a 18” WOA built on a WOA upper and it’s been a tack driver. I makes my craptastic butt look good.

Hear good things about BCM, Rainier and Centurion, but I’ve never used one.

ryanm
10-01-18, 11:09
Don’t forget CLE

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=336

Pappabear
10-01-18, 12:02
Update. Said LMT makes a good bolt. Sending me RMA

Good to hear they are trying at least

PB

Pappabear
10-04-18, 01:33
I had an interesting thought that came to mind while rambling with Gunz tonight. One of the worst barrels I have ever bought -shot was a Skinny barrel Win model 70 in 30-06 bolt hunting gun. I spent $100+ ammo trying to sight in and shoot groups. It would stack two shots side by side then one 6-8 inches away to XX inches away. It was insane.

I thought this has to be a scope issue.....took to The Riflesmith AKA The Wildman...Crooks. He has a set of pins he drops down the chamber to see how tight the bore is. Common practice with good smiths. New to me. He kept dropping larger and larger pins down the pipe until he ran out. He said you have a 30-06 shotgun barrel.

His assessment was Winchester bored out the rifling then took all the meat off the barrel ( to make it light weight) then more by fluting it and the bore opened up because it lost its integrity for a lack of better words.

My Faxon is the skinniest barrel either Mark or I have ever seen, makes me wonder. If the Wildman has .223 pins I'm going to ask him to pin check it.

Just a thought.

PB

Vegas
10-04-18, 02:03
My experience is Whiteoak 18" SPR barrel and BCM 16" SS410. Both have been solid for me and shoot submoa groups with ease. .60 and .70 MOA are common with 69gr SMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr Hornady Match and 69gr Nosler CC.

AndyLate
10-04-18, 07:54
Update. Said LMT makes a good bolt. Sending me RMA

Good to hear they are trying at least

PB

Faxon sent you an RMA? It kind of makes me wish Nathan was still there.

So much better for you and Faxon if they had someone hand pick a good barrel, test it, and then replace your current barrel when you first realized it was not going to settle down and shoot.

Andy

P.S. On the other hand, this thread is turning into a great resource for anyone looking for a better than average barrel.

markm
10-04-18, 09:58
I'm going to pull the barrel tonight. If I find anything weird or loose, I'll post it. It's a Geissele rail, so I don't expect a loose nut or anything.

NYH1
10-04-18, 12:08
I have a 20" Criterion hybrid barrel on my AR15A4 clone build. I only shoot it with the carry handle open sight.

I also have a Danial Defense 18" S2W barrel on my Mk12 clone build. It has the rifle length gas system. They also make them with the mid length gas system. It shoots under an inch.

Good luck, NYH1.

dcf1981
10-04-18, 18:55
Check out Citizen Arms Instagram page, he uses a lot of Criterion barrels and consistently puts out Sub-MOA groups with a lot hovering around 0.5-0.75”.

Stickman
10-04-18, 19:42
Faxon sent you an RMA? It kind of makes me wish Nathan was still there.

Where did he go? He had a thread with loads of info where he answered all sorts of questions.

gaucho1
10-04-18, 20:16
I looked it up.

He has a position at H&K...........think he in charge of marketing for U.S.

He was a real source of information......rare depth and practical knowledge.

Clint
10-04-18, 22:23
It is amazing how many excellent choices are available these days.

P.S. On the other hand, this thread is turning into a great resource for anyone looking for a better than average barrel.

fledge
10-04-18, 23:25

If we’re adding good barrel experiences to the mix... Proof, Centurion, and SMOS have all been outstanding for me with factory ammo. In a long range class last year, I had the 18” SMOS consistent from 70 to 700yds (black hills TMK). You can save $100 on the SMOS (Shilen blanks) by getting the same barrel in 16” rebranded at Oregon Rifle Works bringing it down to only $300 with block and tube and free ship.

Furbyballer
10-05-18, 05:14
I own a citizen arms 12.5 sbr and it prints 0.5 moa 5 round groups with black hills 77 grain smk. It's a craddock precision/criterion barrel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
10-05-18, 06:51
Where did he go? He had a thread with loads of info where he answered all sorts of questions.

I was wondering the same thing.. I didn’t realize he had left Faxon.