PDA

View Full Version : Noveske, Daniel Defense, or other? (CHF Barrel)

Iron-E
09-30-18, 23:09
So I'm getting into a 12.5" build where this Carbine will be my Emergency Preparedness/SHFT gun. So although accuracy means alot, I also need quality to last. My go to ammo is Green Tip. I'm seeing all kinds of recommendations about all these different companies and what not. So I would like to reach out to the members here for input. I've narrowed it down b/w the 2 companies in the title. Are they the best in your opinion or is there something better? Price doesn't matter too much for me. I'm from Canada so most things are already expensive compared to our friends down South. And on top of that, this is a life protection tool. So I don't want to cheap out on it.

WS6
09-30-18, 23:18
So I'm getting into a 12.5" build where this Carbine will be my Emergency Preparedness/SHFT gun. So although accuracy means alot, I also need quality to last. My go to ammo is Green Tip. I'm seeing all kinds of recommendations about all these different companies and what not. So I would like to reach out to the members here for input. I've narrowed it down b/w the 2 companies in the title. Are they the best in your opinion or is there something better? Price doesn't matter too much for me. I'm from Canada so most things are already expensive compared to our friends down South. And on top of that, this is a life protection tool. So I don't want to cheap out on it.

Hodge Defense and Centurion, in that order. After that, Daniel Defense.

ITAR matters, too, no?

Iron-E
09-30-18, 23:34

ITAR matters, too, no?
Thank you for the Input. I just get a dealer (Aztech Armoury or Irunguns) to import stuff for me.

Wake27
10-01-18, 00:02
Noveske’s barrels are stupid overgassed, at least the 16” ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WS6
10-01-18, 05:32

My 10.5 was, too. Bad.

Stickman
10-01-18, 06:11
I use Centurion Arms for the use you mention. My 12.5 CA barrel has seen a lot of use over the years and I doubt I’ll ever shoot it out. Solid accuracy and reliability. Not all CHF barrels are the same, not even the ones that come from the same manufacture.

Stickman
10-01-18, 06:14
My 10.5 was, too. Bad.

Certainly not the way John intended things to be. The sad truth is that more poeple will complain about a small port than a large one. Even when that small hole is the correct size, a company will get complaints that it won’t run with the cheapest reloads someone bought at a gun show.

mack7.62
10-01-18, 06:15

ITAR matters, too, no?

If you can find a Hodge or Centurion then yeah, but 12.5's aren't usually available from these two, they are from DD. I think 12.5 is a great barrel length, wish they would become more popular so right sized rails would become available.

Furbyballer
10-01-18, 06:46
100% agree. I own multiples of both these barrels and they all perform lights out assuming you are going to suppress them. They will also work unsuppressed but can be picky and you will need a hot load like your m855 green tip that you currently favor.

ITAR matters, too, no?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WS6
10-01-18, 07:03
Certainly not the way John intended things to be. The sad truth is that more poeple will complain about a small port than a large one. Even when that small hole is the correct size, a company will get complaints that it won’t run with the cheapest reloads someone bought at a gun show.

I dont know when Noveske lost their way, but their quality died before John.

MegademiC
10-01-18, 07:06
Can you source a Colt Canada barrel?

Im happy with my centurion 14.5 midlength. If I was in the market for 12.5 Id get a colt, or centurion (whichever was cheaper) and cut it down. A cut-down socom would be accurate, but might be a “waste of weight” due to your ammo choice.

GH41
10-01-18, 07:09
Green tip and accuracy shouldn't be used in the same sentence!

scooter22
10-01-18, 07:32
Centurion 12.5

Also agree with cut down Colt SOCOM

Iron-E
10-01-18, 07:54
Can you source a Colt Canada barrel?

Im happy with my centurion 14.5 midlength. If I was in the market for 12.5 Id get a colt, or centurion (whichever was cheaper) and cut it down. A cut-down socom would be accurate, but might be a “waste of weight” due to your ammo choice.
I would have to buy a full rifle or a complete upper to get a Colt Canada Barrel. But I need to buy a couple of the same barrels just encase. In emergency situations, the trucks stop and I won't be able to buy things online. So I get multiples of the same item (Firing Pin, Bolts, Barrels, etc). Just extra insurance if anything decides to crap out on me.

jimmyheadgear
10-01-18, 08:08
I use Centurion Arms for the use you mention. My 12.5 CA barrel has seen a lot of use over the years and I doubt I’ll ever shoot it out. Solid accuracy and reliability. Not all CHF barrels are the same, not even the ones that come from the same manufacture.
In your opinion, how do FN CHF barrels match up with CA?

Iron-E
10-01-18, 09:23
May I ask, what weight of buffer do you use? I've been trying to research it out but I'm finding all sorts of different opinions and responses. I'm aiming towards to Voltor A5 series. From what I see, the A5H0 and A5H2 are the most common used for 12.5.

fledge
10-01-18, 09:34
Just picked up a Hodge 12.5 and have only functioned tested. It won’t lock back the bolt on the final round with an A5H0 buffer unsuppressed with wolf gold and Men M193. It will with Black Hills 77gr TMK. I need to change to a carbine system to use a broader ammo use.

Needless to say, if you want a small port, this has it.

10-01-18, 10:09
That's hilarious. All the A5 guys would pile a special mix and match of springs and buffers until it barely ran and then claim that window of function is now wide open.

Iron-E
10-01-18, 14:00
Just picked up a Hodge 12.5 and have only functioned tested. It won’t lock back the bolt on the final round with an A5H0 buffer unsuppressed with wolf gold and Men M193. It will with Black Hills 77gr TMK. I need to change to a carbine system to use a broader ammo use.

I have an adjustable gas block so I should be fine.

sig1473
10-01-18, 14:24

That seems to be the case with the 14.5" and 16" MLs I own. I literally just got done shooting the 16". I run it with a LMT enhanced carrier, FN bolt, and H2 buffer. Ejection is between 230-330. It's crazy accurate though for a CHF barrel.

Iron-E
10-01-18, 14:53
I guess I'll have to go Hodge Defense since the Centurion 12.5 seems to be discontinued.

Wake27
10-01-18, 16:46
That seems to be the case with the 14.5" and 16" MLs I own. I literally just got done shooting the 16". I run it with a LMT enhanced carrier, FN bolt, and H2 buffer. Ejection is between 230-330. It's crazy accurate though for a CHF barrel.

Mine wasn’t even that accurate. First shots out of it at 50m with BH 77gr ammo. These were all about 1.5” or so. I have a separate thread on it, but this was all after Noveske had to replace my original barrel because it had a defective chrome lining job and the chrome was flaking. Not to mention it shot harder than my issued M4 (carbine gas and A2 FH vs SF WarComp, middy gas, and VLTOR A5-3). I made excuses for it at the time and have yet to really group other barrels to compare against, but I’m done with Noveske after that.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181001/71d3b2f41b3c7baba90f05a0f9787fb6.jpg

Iron-E
10-01-18, 16:52
Centurion 12.5

Also agree with cut down Colt SOCOM

Would you recommend a cut down colt socom over a Hodge defense?

fledge
10-01-18, 18:01
I have an adjustable gas block so I should be fine.

The adjustable reduces gas, it will never give you more gas. The Hodge is tuned for M855A1 high pressure Ammo. So either you want a light carbine buffer or run always suppressed.

morpheus562
10-01-18, 18:11
I love my permanently suppressed 12.5" Centurion Arms build. Sadly, Centurion is no longer making a 12.5" barrel. If I were to do the build again I'd look at the Hodge's or Triarc's 12.5" barrels.

Jwknutson17
10-01-18, 18:44
I think I may have a line on a very very lightly used 12.5 centurion. Good buddy of mine I sold one to new in package.

That is hands down my preferred 12.5. I've also talked to Jim many times in the pre production stages of his 12.5 and that is also a good option. But I will recommend Monty's 12.5 as my first option. I do like the DD as a 3rd, and so on. Port size starts to dictate the order of the list for me at least.

Iron-E
10-01-18, 19:22
I love my permanently suppressed 12.5" Centurion Arms build. Sadly, Centurion is no longer making a 12.5" barrel. If I were to do the build again I'd look at the Hodge's or Triarc's 12.5" barrels.
Maybe they'll bring it back one day. I'm surprised they got rid of it. Interest in 12.5 seems to be growing.

RobertTheTexan
10-01-18, 21:10

The best 12.5 you could get your hands on is. Centurion Arms 12.5. It’s a CHF barrel, probably the one correctly gassed 12.5 and it’s a tack driver

They can be like unicorn tears.. at times hard to get your hands on one.

I might know a guy though.

dcf1981
10-01-18, 21:41
I guess I'll have to go Hodge Defense since the Centurion 12.5 seems to be discontinued.
I just sold the Centurion that I had bought prior to getting a Hodge, there was a few in stock at a few retailers that carry Centurion parts but it looks like they’re OOS everywhere now. Hodge 12.5”s are still in stock at Weapon Outfitters.

RobertTheTexan
10-01-18, 22:34
I just sold the Centurion that I had bought prior to getting a Hodge, there was a few in stock at a few retailers that carry Centurion parts but it looks like they’re OOS everywhere now. Hodge 12.5”s are still in stock at Weapon Outfitters.

Like I said....unicorn tears.. [emoji41]

MegademiC
10-01-18, 23:03
Like I said....unicorn tears.. [emoji41]

You can buy a 16” and cut it down, no?
Not the best on paper, but if you know the right people...

RobertTheTexan
10-01-18, 23:19
You can buy a 16” and cut it down, no?
Not the best on paper, but if you know the right people...

Absolutely, or Monty’s 14.7 CHF barrel. Adco or my personal favorite Marvin Pitts could both knock that out of the park....But it not just the barrel alone that makes the 12.5 so desirable - it’s the way Monty ported it. Many barrels on the market today run larger gas ports for a variety of reason, the least not being the larger port will cycle all kinds of ammo including lower pressure 223. The 12.5 is ported to run optimally suppressed. I’ll tell you it is hands down the smoothest shooting SBR I’ve shot and I will include my 14.5 Hanson’s in that list, which I thought were unbeatable in smooth shooting - and was until I got my 12.5 Centurion.

You could maybe run one of Clint’s (Black River Tactical) CustomTune gas port. I tried one on a DD 11.5 which was pretty freaking gassy due to a larger port size. It was like my gun got “fixed”. It went from a rough riding Bronc to a mellow mule. Still ran like a scalded dog, as far as slingin’ lead like any good DD CHF barrel would do, but it was a tame beast no doubt. Not far off from my 12.5 Centurion, which shocked the crap out of me.

RobertTheTexan
10-01-18, 23:34

Couple of questions. I’m assuming the Wolf Gold is .223?
The MEN XM193 is 5.56 right?

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this... but I had to learn it with my CA 12.5, trying different buffers and springs and testing with my normal ammo I stock. You could also open the port up a tad, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose behind the smaller port which (again imo) was to build a smoother shooting SBR that didn’t have as much recoil impulse giving you a faster on target response for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. rounds on target. I’ve had this discussion with Monty from CA, but I’m pretty sure I want to run my SBR’s - regardless of the barrel man./length with a can full time and I’ve gotten away from almost all .223 except some heavy .223 I’ve ran in precision guns.

fledge
10-02-18, 01:02

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this...

Yes yes and yes. :). I was surprised MEN 556 didn’t lock back (both of those cycled rounds however). I listed those ammo types because they are popular and some would find the info helpful. If you are unsuppressed wolf gold only guy, you’ll want a light buffer with this barrel.

I won’t open up the port. I just need to decide whether to swap out the A5 for a carbine... or work up hotter loads... or always suppress it. I’ve got options and look forward to dialing it in.

yrch21
10-02-18, 03:43
Yes yes and yes. :). I was surprised MEN 556 didn’t lock back (both of those cycled rounds however). I listed those ammo types because they are popular and some would find the info helpful. If you are unsuppressed wolf gold only guy, you’ll want a light buffer with this barrel.

I won’t open up the port. I just need to decide whether to swap out the A5 for a carbine... or work up hotter loads... or always suppress it. I’ve got options and look forward to dialing it in.

Interesting, I got the slightly different results with my 12.5" Hodge. Test with/without Q Trash Panda

Unsuppressed:
Hornady 55gr GMX locked back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring.
Remington AccuTip-V 50gr can't consistently lock back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring; but has no problem with A5H3 & Green Spring.
Brown Bear 55gr FMJ only consistently locked back on last round when using A5H0 & standard spring.

Suppressed:
Hornady 55gr GMX locked back on last round with A5H4 & Green Spring.
Brown Bear 55gr FMJ locked back on last round when using A5H4 & Green Spring.
Didn't bother to check Remington as it's a hotter round than Brown Bear, so if even Brown Bear has no issue, I don't assume Remington would have any trouble.

scooter22
10-02-18, 05:56
Would you recommend a cut down colt socom over a Hodge defense?

Not necessarily. You may have to open the gas port on the cut down Colt.

I think it’s six one way; half a dozen the other.

Iron-E
10-02-18, 08:03
So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!

morpheus562
10-02-18, 08:17
So what would be your guys recommendation for gasport size and buffer? Here's what I plan for the build but some things might change. The ammo I'll use is Wolf/Tula Steel Case for cheap training, Hornady Critical Defense for Home Defense, and Green Tip for any SHTF stuff. So the barrel has a .750 gas port and I'll have an adjustable gas block. I'll be using the A5H0 buffer and spring. All with a Hodge Defense 12.5 barrel.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Do I need to get the gas port cut, etc? Thanks for the help thus far gentlemen!

Do you plan on running the gun suppressed at all? Im running the LMT enhanced carrier, a5h4 buffer, and tubbs ar10 flat wire spring with great success suppressed; however, it won't function unsuppressed.

everready73
10-02-18, 08:22

My experience with smaller port barrels is that they have a harder time cycling or locking back on lower pressure .223 ammo. Smaller port barrels are by design meant to run optimally with a can or higher pressure 5.56. As I write this I’m like, Fledge already knows this... but I had to learn it with my CA 12.5, trying different buffers and springs and testing with my normal ammo I stock. You could also open the port up a tad, but in my opinion that defeats the purpose behind the smaller port which (again imo) was to build a smoother shooting SBR that didn’t have as much recoil impulse giving you a faster on target response for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. rounds on target. I’ve had this discussion with Monty from CA, but I’m pretty sure I want to run my SBR’s - regardless of the barrel man./length with a can full time and I’ve gotten away from almost all .223 except some heavy .223 I’ve ran in precision guns.

Wolf Gold is basically M193, maybe a touch on the low side of a real 5.56 military load. Nominal 3200fps is what's expected, and the Wolf Gold pretty much gets there, while my IMI M193 gallops out at 3400fps or so. Pretty much loaded to the very upper end of a 223 load and it is reported it is overstocked Taiwanese military ammo. It is one of my primary training rounds

Iron-E
10-02-18, 09:09
Do you plan on running the gun suppressed at all? Im running the LMT enhanced carrier, a5h4 buffer, and tubbs ar10 flat wire spring with great success suppressed; however, it won't function unsuppressed.
As of now no. But that might change in the future. I live in Canada so Suppressors are illegal. But lately a lot has been going well. Quebec just kicked out the Liberals. And that's saying a lot since the 2 parties in Quebec are Liberals and extreme Liberals lol. And one year from now is the federal election. So who knows? lol.

RobertTheTexan
10-02-18, 11:50
As of now no. But that might change in the future. I live in Canada so Suppressors are illegal. But lately a lot has been going well. Quebec just kicked out the Liberals. And that's saying a lot since the 2 parties in Quebec are Liberals and extreme Liberals lol. And one year from now is the federal election. So who knows? lol.

Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

And if you really don’t plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often don’t play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, that’s usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, you’ll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Gov’t profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. I’ve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske that’s got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTF’s. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
I’m not a super fan of adjustable GB’s but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If you’re using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than “normal” port.
If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy won’t mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat won’t cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then you’ve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things you’ve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. It’s just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my “affection” towards DD barrels. (I’ve also owned a couple.). I don’t have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 I’ve owned and I’ve owned a few. I’m not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well that’s not such a bad thing at all.
Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR I’ve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.

Iron-E
10-02-18, 12:19
Just out of curiosity what muzzle device are you planning on using?

And if you really don’t plan on running a can, you probably should look at a barrel with a larger gas port. As Fledge, myself and others have stated smaller gas port barrels often don’t play friendly with lower pressure 223 ammo. Also on the gas block diameter, that’s usually driven by the type of barrel. For example on more lightweight barrels, like pencil barrels, you’ll often see a .625 gas block diameter. On thicker barrels, SOCOM, Daniel Defense Gov’t profile barrels will have the .750 GB diameter you mentioned. That really has no bearing on gas port size. (At least to my knowledge.)

In light of reading that you are likely not going to use a can, if I were you, I would pick up a Daniel Defense CHF 12.5 or a Noveske 12.5. I am pretty familiar with the function of DD barrels and I absolutely regret selling my 11.5. I’ve also got a good friend running a 12.5 Noveske that’s got 20k down the pipe and it is still his go-to shtf rifle. He deployed with that upper in fact.
The DD has a larger gas port, .076 I believe and it will run everything you feed it. I ran my 11.5 with an A5H2/ Sprinco green spring and an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard LMT bolt. Later on I replaced the phosphate LMT bolt with a Sionics bolt completion kit.
In that configuration, it ran without a SINGLE failure. Zero FTF’s. Zero failure to eject. Zero failure to lock back on empty mag.
Was it on the gassy side? Yes it was. Initially I ran an adjustable gas block, (SLR Sentry 7) but later I replaced that with a standard gas block and I ran a small bead of high temp RTV along the charging handle horseshoe. That inexpensive ($4.99) but absolutely effective solution eliminated much of the gas in my face - but keep in mind - the gas was only a problem for me when I used a suppressor. Without it, I did not have a problem with gas in the face.
I’m not a super fan of adjustable GB’s but if you are planning on using one, I think using it in conjunction with a barrel with an already small port is a waste of money. The reason guys normally buy adjustable gas blocks is to reduce gas flow. If you’re using a Centurion Arms or Hodge defense, you are already dealing with a smaller than “normal” port.
If your rifle is a HD/SHTF, along with accuracy, reliability has reign as king. All the smooth shooting fans and sub MOA accuracy won’t mean squat if your buddy throws you a mag of ammo hat won’t cycle properly. If you get MOA out of your barrel and your weapon functions very single time you pull the trigger, then you’ve accomplished your mission. Victory. On the barrel side - considering all things you’ve identified as a requirement, I would hands down go with a DD barrel. It’s just a well made barrel. I like Cold Hammer Forged barrels personally so that contributes to my “affection” towards DD barrels. (I’ve also owned a couple.). I don’t have first hand experience with a Noveske short barrel, but I do own a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and it is the most accurate 14.5 I’ve owned and I’ve owned a few. I’m not a clone guy, but the fact the DD MK18, which has no doubt slain a multitude of terrorist scumbags uses the same barrel blanks and made with the same hydraulic hammers and mandrils as the barrel you can buy today.... well that’s not such a bad thing at all.
Pardon any misspellings, I hammered this out on my phone. :-/ I was in your shoes when I built my first AR. And every AR I’ve built since that first one has a defined purpose and in a way they are all part of my shtf preparedness. So I can relate to your desire to have a rifle you can trust to do its part should you ever need it to defend your castle. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the well informed input! I wanted to get the Surefire CTN flashhider but I'll probably go with the 3 Prong Warcomp since it seems to mitigate the flash better with shorter barrels. I guess DD is they way to go. Especially since they're available in Canada so I can avoid ITAR.

yrch21
10-02-18, 12:48

Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.

Iron-E
10-02-18, 13:30
Stick with A5H0 and the spring that came into the package if you want to shoot Wolf unsuppressed. It's the only combo that will lock back on last round consistently with Russian steel cased ammo when unsuppressed in my limited experience.
I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.

yrch21
10-02-18, 13:37
I'm wondering about the Geissle Super 42. The spring seems like a great concept and you can play around with the weight of the buffer.

do it, and let us know your findings. :D

morpheus562
10-02-18, 14:09

2nd this, please let us know your findings if you go this route. My wife has the Super 42 in her bcm middie, and that is smooth. Interested how it is in a 12.5".

RobertTheTexan
10-09-18, 15:23

I’ve heard of good things about the Super 42, though I’m not sure it was in the context of a short barrel rifle. If the standard M16 spring doesn’t cut the mustard, you could give Mr. Tubb’s down in Texas a call and explain your setup and issues. I’ve spoken to both him and his daughter and they made some recommendations using their Tubb’s flatwire spring that totally solved my cycling problems. Plus I think they’ve got like a gazillion cycles through their spring without any compression - meaning the ol’ spring didn’t suffer shrinkage (every mans worst fear.). Maybe not a literal gazillion, but a whole lot of cycles for sure.
I run the flatwire in 3 of my AR’s including my LMT MWS that’s running an A5 buffet system. Flawless execution.

vicious_cb
10-10-18, 00:44

I probably would NOT suggest a small gas port barrel like a Hodge then if you plan on feeding it lower pressured ammo and will not be shooting suppressed.

naturerancher
02-28-19, 19:51
The best 12.5 you could get your hands on is. Centurion Arms 12.5. It’s a CHF barrel, probably the one correctly gassed 12.5 and it’s a tack driver

They can be like unicorn tears.. at times hard to get your hands on one.

I might know a guy though.

Do you still know a guy that might have a Centurion 12.5?

I’ve probably settled on the Daniel Defense, but that Hodge at OP Tactical an Weapon Outfitters sure is tempting.

CajunCourier
03-01-19, 10:13
I'd do anything for a Colt Canada barrel. If you can buy a complete Colt Canada upper (or rifle), I'd do that, and just stock up on Daniel Defense barrels as replacements which are also excellent CHF barrels. Y'all are lucky to be able to get Colt Canada up there. I think they're some of the finest-made ARs in the world.

scottryan
03-01-19, 15:22
You need to find a complete Colt Canada 11.5" MMR upper.

Iron-E
03-01-19, 20:28
You need to find a complete Colt Canada 11.5" MMR upper.
I have both the 15.7" and 10" 3rd Gen IUR uppers. The ones SAS and CANSOFCOM use. I'm gonna buy SA15 and MRR uppers to stock up on barrels and spare parts.

CajunCourier
03-02-19, 17:45
I have both the 15.7" and 10" 3rd Gen IUR uppers. The ones SAS and CANSOFCOM use. I'm gonna buy SA15 and MRR uppers to stock up on barrels and spare parts.

I'm envious. I'd sell all my ARs for a Colt Canada.

Iron-E
03-02-19, 18:01
I'm envious. I'd sell all my ARs for a Colt Canada.
We're all envious. I'd love to get my hands on full powered PEQ's, suppressors, standard cap mags, etc, etc lol

alx01
03-03-19, 00:54
@Iron-E,

Personally, I would go with Noveske over DD always (unless you can get DD 40% cheaper than Noveske). I don't have anything against DD as they have a stellar reputation and customer service. DD barrel will certainly serve you well without issues. Accuracy, durability, or reliability-wise both Noveske and DD will be fine.

Here is why I would choose Noveske:
- Both are specialized barrel manufacturers, Noveske has a focus on precision and premium market. Possibly has a better QC (though they don't manufacture CHF barrels, unlike DD)
- Noveske is only slighter more expensive, but if you consider that they include a pinned gas block and a gas tube difference becomes minuscule given 20-30k rounds of barrel life. If you want a pinned gas block and have gunsmith pin it on DD - going with Noveske will probably be cheaper.
- Main reason - as far as my research goes Noveske CHF barrels are heavier than almost all other CHF barrels on the market (at least in the USA). They are medium profile compared to others in light or gov profiles (including DD). Noveske 12.5" weights 24oz - same DD CHF 14.5" barrel. What it basically means is that it will be able to handle heat during intensive fire better than DD (which I think weights around 20-21oz - not 100% sure). Those extra 3-4oz on a short barrel will definitely make a difference (even on 14.5 or 16"). Plus, combined with a thicker chrome plating it theoretically should last a little longer over DD. Whenever you'll see any difference in longevity in real life is up for debate.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

jerrysimons
03-04-19, 22:21
Heavier/slower velocity bullets can provide more gassing over lighter/faster bullets.

You got good advice op. Unsupressed and .223 almost full time means centurion and hodge defense 12.5” barrels are not ideal for you. Hodge’s first run of comercially available 12.5” barrels (lo-pro only gas-block journal) had a gas-port of 0.068” which would be good for you but the currently available Hodge Mod 2 overrun 12.5” barrels (at some point he switched to FSB length gasblock journals) have a gas-port of 0.0625” which (like it says) is intended for hot m855a1 rounds and primarily suppressed function. I do not know if the gas-journal length exclusively corresponds to the change in gas-port size or not. Some dudes here have reported similar gas-port sizing from Centurion Arms 12.5” barrels in the 0.0625-0.063 range.
A noveske 12.5” from a couple years ago had a 0.071”, which would be more than enough gassing for you even in the cold. I don’t know what DD 12.5” gas-ports run, I wouldnt want to go over 0.071”, but theirbarrels are great. A 12.5” with a port at 0.067” would be good for your use if you can find it.