PDA

View Full Version : P Mags, Problems, Magpuls Customer Service

DWood
10-30-08, 17:55
This may have been discussed before but it is new to me.

I recently attended a Carbine 1 class, at which I noticed most of my 10 P Mags would not drop free in speed reloads, even if they were loaded. Once I got home I found that only 3 of the 10 would drop free from my LMT receivers (I have two). I e-mailed Magpul and was contacted the next day by Justin who offered to replace them all. He also offered a fix, by sanding down the two raised bumps on the spine of the mags as shown below. Apperently they are meant to improve the fit on sloppy mag wells but caused problems in my LMTs.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/dropfreefix_sandhere.jpg

I resisted the quick fix of new mags and sanded down the problematic ones with a steel nail file of the the wife's. Low and behold the sanding worked, all mags now drop free, and no need to replace them. Magpul responded immediately and was committed to fixing my problem. I am impressed with their customer service.

JCox
10-30-08, 18:01
They are hard to beat. I've had nothing but good/excellent experiences with them.

markm
10-30-08, 18:23
No training or weapons manipulations should be structured around a guarantee that a mag will drop free.

Some of my guns won't drop half of my pmags. My Colts drop almost every mag I have including all my Pmags. My aftermarket lowers are a little tighter. It's a non issue.

IMO, a speed reload on rifle is fantasy for the vast majority of shooters. Even on the outside chance it were necessary, it's not a problem to pull the empty out of the receiver if you've grabbed the full mag properly.

DWood
10-30-08, 18:32
I'll agree with that, but I would like an expectation, if not a guarantee, that the mags drop free under normal circumstances. The P Mags were new to me and used for the first time at the class. I adapted quickly when they did not drop free in the training and worked the exercises. Now that I've filed the bumps down, they all drop free when empty.

The main point of my post was Magpul's quick response to fix my problem and the easy fix that any other P Mag shooters can use.

PS if your P Mags don't drop free in some guns, sand the bumps down. Should fix the problem.

SingleStacker45
10-30-08, 18:41
While I agree with demigod that nothing should be considered 100% and we should train for Mr. Murphy's arrival, the experts say:

"Insure that you have magazines that will drop free from your rifle. If they won't drop, get rid of them."

Kyle E. Lamb from "Green Eyes & Black Rifle" He has a great many tips on magazines in this book.

There have been posts regarding the magpuls being tight in various recievers.

Mule

jeffreywt
10-30-08, 18:47
My Spike's lower spits them out like a mad camel. It's nice to hear they were willing to replace them.

RogerinTPA
10-30-08, 20:00
No problems dropping free with PMags from both of my Colts. Get them replaced. Magpul is known for there excellent CS.

No.6
10-30-08, 20:23
Guys, I had exactly the opposite problem. My PMAGs wouldn't lock but my USGI magazines would. Made it almost to the end of TD1 with absolutely no magazine (PMAG) related problems and then for some reason about the last 45 minutes of class I couldn't get a single one of the seven I had on me to lock in place. They'd seat, but not lock. Didn't matter full, half-full, empty, they just were not going to stay in. First break, swapped to USGI and had zero problems to finish the class.

theJanitor
10-30-08, 20:38
MY LMT's have the same problem. i sanded most mags. i also deburred and relieved a little material from my lower receiver. now all my mags work and if i need to borrow someone else's mags, they'll most likely work as well

i also have to seat them pretty hard if i'm reloading onto a closed bolt.

markm
10-30-08, 20:46
No problems dropping free with PMags from both of my Colts. Get them replaced. Magpul is known for there excellent CS.

But there's nothing wrong with the mags. It's generally aftermarket receivers that have this issue. I think SHIVAN has the field fix. You can lightly modify the mag bodies to reduce this.

Shotdown
10-30-08, 21:09
Mine drop free from my LMT rifle. Contact MagPul and they will replace them.

sewvacman
10-30-08, 22:21
I have 7 magpuls that work fine in my LMT & CDD. However none of my Brownell's drop free, anyone ever heard of that one? I'm not modifying my lower for this, I'm just buying more magpuls! Before Nov. 4th BTW:D

mmike87
10-30-08, 22:29
I just asked this same question a little while ago - I totally missed this thread. I feel like an idiot now. :o

I'm going to sand mine this weekend and see how it goes - I suspect that will solve the issue with mine.

JSantoro
10-30-08, 23:11
DWood ,did you tell your wife that you used her nail file as an adjustment tool?

PMags sticking was a question I had and hadn't asked, yet, too. All of my PMags drop free from my carbine, but a couple had slight problems with a getting outta my friend's Rock River. At the time, I chalked it up to the dusty environment we were in and thought no more of it, since neither of us depends on a mag dropping free on its own in the first place.

Now I know I can fix them or replace them at need. Many Thanks.

taliv
10-30-08, 23:12
i almost bought a colt 6920 last night, but tested some pmags in it at the last moment and none of them would not drop free. dealer got another 6920 in this morning and I bought it right after testing it. the same mags drop free in all my other ARs.

i agree with the OP though, magpul's service is first rate.

SwatDawg15
10-31-08, 03:54
The big PLUS IMO is being able to mod the mags slightly to work with most to all lowers. Seems everyday there is another reason why these mags shine above the rest. I just don't think there is nothing out there that can beat them, even price wise.

Magsz
10-31-08, 09:41
I had the same problem in my LMT defender lower.

Contacted Magpul, talked to Justin and sure enough he offered up a solution. I also had what appeared to be one defective magazine and he offered to replace it. I took him up on the offer and less than four days later, i received a replacement magazine.

Unreal customer service. Everyone over there is friendly and helpful. Why are there not more companies like this out there?

oalocke
10-31-08, 10:45
MY LMT's have the same problem. i sanded most mags. i also deburred and relieved a little material from my lower receiver.

I've got exactly the same issue with my LMT and P-MAGS. Where did you relieve your lower? Any chance of a picture?

infidel
10-31-08, 12:13
I bought a new LMT piston and new PMAGs - and the PMAGs don't drop free from my LMT either. Well, actually I bought one 20-round and five 30-round PMAGs and the 20-rounder works fine and drops free easily but none of the 30-rounders do. I guess I'll have to resort to sanding, too. Although, like the poster above requested, I'd also love to see a picture of what/where you did the deburring. I don't really want to have to do that... hmmm.

Shihan
10-31-08, 15:38
I've got exactly the same issue with my LMT and P-MAGS. Where did you relieve your lower? Any chance of a picture?

Dont modify your lower.

Ryo
10-31-08, 15:58
Wow.. interesting problem. Glad to hear they have good customer service. They are great mags.. now I gotta open my new ones that I have sitting around to see if I would have this problem too..

This may have been discussed before but it is new to me.

I recently attended a Carbine 1 class, at which I noticed most of my 10 P Mags would not drop free in speed reloads, even if they were loaded. Once I got home I found that only 3 of the 10 would drop free from my LMT receivers (I have two). I e-mailed Magpul and was contacted the next day by Justin who offered to replace them all. He also offered a fix, by sanding down the two raised bumps on the spine of the mags as shown below. Apperently they are meant to improve the fit on sloppy mag wells but caused problems in my LMTs.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/dropfreefix_sandhere.jpg

I resisted the quick fix of new mags and sanded down the problematic ones with a steel nail file of the the wife's. Low and behold the sanding worked, all mags now drop free, and no need to replace them. Magpul responded immediately and was committed to fixing my problem. I am impressed with their customer service.

IdahoCorsair
10-31-08, 17:20
Magpul goes out of their way to keep customers happy. Doing so gets them rave reviews and people go out of their way to talk them up to their friends. It works in their own best interests in the long run. Unlike two recent companies I purchased from that were not 180 degress opposite, but not really helpful either.

Customer service is a WIN WIN situation. Why don't more business owners (from all areas of life) get this? :rolleyes:

GONIF
10-31-08, 17:44
PMAGS ARE ALL I BUY ANYMORE ,great product ,great company . :D

mmike87
10-31-08, 21:28
I just spent about 30 minutes or so sanding on my 12 that would not free in the LMT and Sun Devil and all 12 now happily drop free every time.

No worries - now I'll buy some more. :)

SwatDawg15
11-01-08, 00:01
So far all of my P-Mags have dropped free from my Early M&P15.... I don't care if the next 20 don't, i will spend the time sanding them and still be happy. P-Mags are definitely here to stay.

Ryo
11-01-08, 00:48
Guess just to show that you may have to fine tune to your gun. :D

JSGlock34
11-03-08, 20:49
I recently had the same experience - attended a class and found my PMAGs would not reliably drop free from my LMT. Contacted MagPul, and received the same advice and an offer to replace the magazines. Apparently this is a known issue with LMTs and HK416s. The replacement magazines arrived within a week, along with a postage paid shipping label to return my magazines to MagPul.

This is great customer service, and the reason why I'll continue to buy MagPul products in the future.