PDA

View Full Version : Are there any popular production rifles with reliable detachable mag systems?

maximus83
10-30-08, 18:05
I've been looking around for a production rifle that comes standard with a detachable mag. Several of the well known makers have an offering with this feature, including Remington (700 SPS DM), CZ (550, 527), Tikka (T3), Thompson Center (Icon), Savage (116), etc.

But I've been talking to some guys who customize rifles, and it seems like the consensus is that the detachable mag setup on many of these lower-priced production rifles is unreliable at best, and tends to compromise the strength of the rifle.

Their advice in a nutshell is, when buying these lower-priced rifles, don't bother with the detachable mags or even a hinged floorplate. Just get a single-shot, or if you want a repeater get a standard internal box magazine. Or spend the extra money to get a higher-end aftermarket detachable mag system installed.

Are there any other perspectives on this issue? Specifically....

* Has anyone has firsthand experience with owning a detachable mag on one of these popular production rifles, and if so, has it been reliable and performed well for you? If yes, then how heavily have you used the rifle and mag system?

* Does anyone have firsthand technical knowledge (i.e., say as a gunsmith) of any of these detachable mags on the popular production rifles, and do you think that any of them are reliable or worth having? Or do you think, as the other guys told me, that I must either go to an aftermarket magazine system, or skip having detachable mags entirely?

razors
10-30-08, 18:51
I owned or have owned Tikkas, Remingtons, Sakos...all with det mags. A remington 700 det mag was the only gun to ever give me problems (feeding issues). The Tikkas and Sakos have never given me problems. I can see where a smith would look at the plastic tikka mags and see an issue but they seem to hold up in a hunting environment. I have a sako m995 TRG-S .270 that has about 450-500 rounds through it and has taken plenty of deer sized game without a feeding issue. All guns were in common hunting calibers (.270, 25-06, 30-06, .308).

supersix4
10-31-08, 12:19
Badger is all you need :)

Jay870
10-31-08, 12:54
I have a Savage 10FP with detachable mags. I haven't had any issues with it all. It is mostly a bench/target gun however, and doesn't see a particularly high volume of fire nor much abuse.

I will say that the magazines do not inspire confidence when handling them... they don't give you the impression of precision and robustness. But, like I said before there has always been a round waiting when the bolt closes so I won't hold it against them.

Gunfighter13
10-31-08, 19:26
Badger and AI. Best mag system currently produced for a bolt gun.

edgewater
11-10-08, 18:59
Accuracy International, done ....enough said

greywolf2112
12-07-08, 07:21
Tikka and Sako - no problems, ever - even under fast reloads and stress (in Africa). Flawless performance.

Dave L.
12-07-08, 11:44
Badger and AI. Best mag system currently produced for a bolt gun.

+1, you get what you pay for.

akviper
12-09-08, 03:09
Check out the Browning X Bolt. The mags appear heavy duty compared to the other sporting types.

adh
12-09-08, 08:45
The Steyr SBS pro hunters in the chamberings I have seen (.308 and .300WinMag) both operated well. If it's for a hunting rifle, and you want a detach mag the Steyrs are not a bad option.

theJanitor
12-09-08, 10:20
I have a Savage 10FP with detachable mags. I haven't had any issues with it all. It is mostly a bench/target gun however, and doesn't see a particularly high volume of fire nor much abuse.

I will say that the magazines do not inspire confidence when handling them... they don't give you the impression of precision and robustness. But, like I said before there has always been a round waiting when the bolt closes so I won't hold it against them.

except when you grab an AI mag. mine are beefy and robust.

dcmdon
12-10-08, 20:31
I've got a Browning A bolt. I love it. The detachable mag is a nice convenience. I can load the mag at home (3 rounds) before I go deer hunting. Then just put it in and cycle the bolt when I'm ready.

Its much easier than trying to load a rifle outside in the cold after I've gotten to my hunting spot. Its also legal, compared to driving to the spot with a loaded internal mag.

In general I've not noticed any downside to the detachable mag.

Don

p.s. although I've only owned the rifle for a few months, I've already got a couple of hundred practice rounds down it. Thats more than some deer hunters shoot in 20 years.

DrMark
12-10-08, 20:39
Anyone used the FN SPRs with detachable mags? How are they?

maximus83
12-11-08, 03:16
Check out the Browning X Bolt. The mags appear heavy duty compared to the other sporting types.

Interesting that two folks have mentioned the Browning bolt actions and their mags. I've been considering getting a Browning A-bolt or X-bolt in .308 as a light deer rifle (and also for backup as a light "survival" rifle), so it's good to know that their mag system works well. Unlike the new Thompson Center Icons, at least the Brownings hold 4 rounds in the mag.

I've also become interested in the Tikka mag system. Just bought a new lightweight Tikka stainless T3 in .223, and ordered a number of 6rd (yes, that's SIX round) mags with it. And you can get 5rd mags for the .308 version of the rifle.

One last option I'm still looking at hard is the CZ Varmint Kevlar rifle, a heavy barreled .308 with a HS Precision stock and detachable, 5rd mags. The interesting thing with this rifle is, you can get the 10rd mags that fit in the CZ .308 sniper rifle, and they will fit in this rifle just fine. Only product rifle I know for under $800 that you can get standard, 10rd mags for.

dcmdon
12-11-08, 07:46
Maximus,

You mention a "light" rifle. My Abolt is one of the Micro versions. Its got a shorter length of pull and a 20" barrell. At 39" its very handy.

Because of the AR shooting I do, I tend to prefer a shorter length of pull anyway. Either way its a nice compact gun and the magazine makes things very convenient out in the field.

It would be very easy for a magazine company to make a larger capacity mag, although you would need to come up with a way to retain it when you removed the trap door. (which would be necessary because of a high cap mags length)

For my use, 3 rounds are plenty.

Don