PDA

View Full Version : California becomes first state to require women on corporate boards

26 Inf
10-01-18, 16:23
California becomes first state to require women on corporate boards

Maya Oppenheim, The Independent, October 1, 2018

California has become the first state in the US to require publicly traded companies to include women on their board of directors.

Governor Jerry Brown signed the new measure – which necessitates at least one female director on the board of each California-based public operation by the end of 2019 – into law on Sunday.

Firms will need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the size of their boards.

Hundreds of companies will be affected by the law and those who violate it can be fined $100,000 (£76,600) for a first violation and $300,000 (£229,900) for a second.

A fourth of publicly held corporations with headquarters in California do not have any women on their boards of directors.

Democrat State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson – who authored the bill – said getting more women on boards will make firms more successful.

Ms Jackson argued women are more inclined to be collaborative and more adept at multitasking. She also thinks having more women in positions of power could have the impact of helping to decrease sexual assault and harassment in workplaces.

She said government intervention was needed because firms have failed to make enough effort to increase the number of women on their boards in spite of encouragement from the legislature.

“This is one of the last bastions of total male domination. We know that the public and business are not being well-served by this level of discrimination,” she said.

Research demonstrates female representation on boards is crucial for women to advance in corporate America. Women on boards are more likely to consider female leaders for the most senior roles in a company and also select more diverse applicants for the actual board.

Opponents to establishing quotas for representation argue the pressure results in unqualified female members and poses the possibility of discrimination against male applicants.

The California Chamber of Commerce argued the makeup of corporate boards should be decided on through internal processes rather than being directed by government. The chamber also argued the new measure will rank gender above other elements of diversity such as race and ethnicity.

Some European countries, including Norway and France, already mandate that corporate boards include women. The laws in Norway require a certain percentage of women on boards, and for larger Norwegian companies, the legislation requires women constitute as much as 40 per cent of the board.

The law which Governor Brown has just signed applies to firms which declare their principal executive offices as being located in California.

“I don’t minimise the potential flaws that indeed may prove fatal to its ultimate implementation,” Governor Brown wrote in a signing statement.

“Nevertheless, recent events in Washington, DC – and beyond – make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-becomes-first-state-require-123254194.html

Funny how they didn't have a provision to ensure that publicly traded companies all have at least one man on the board.

flenna
10-01-18, 17:44
California becomes first state to require women on corporate boards

Maya Oppenheim, The Independent, October 1, 2018

California has become the first state in the US to require publicly traded companies to include women on their board of directors.

Governor Jerry Brown signed the new measure – which necessitates at least one female director on the board of each California-based public operation by the end of 2019 – into law on Sunday.

Firms will need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the size of their boards.

Hundreds of companies will be affected by the law and those who violate it can be fined $100,000 (£76,600) for a first violation and $300,000 (£229,900) for a second.

A fourth of publicly held corporations with headquarters in California do not have any women on their boards of directors.

Democrat State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson – who authored the bill – said getting more women on boards will make firms more successful.

Ms Jackson argued women are more inclined to be collaborative and more adept at multitasking. She also thinks having more women in positions of power could have the impact of helping to decrease sexual assault and harassment in workplaces.

She said government intervention was needed because firms have failed to make enough effort to increase the number of women on their boards in spite of encouragement from the legislature.

“This is one of the last bastions of total male domination. We know that the public and business are not being well-served by this level of discrimination,” she said.

Research demonstrates female representation on boards is crucial for women to advance in corporate America. Women on boards are more likely to consider female leaders for the most senior roles in a company and also select more diverse applicants for the actual board.

Opponents to establishing quotas for representation argue the pressure results in unqualified female members and poses the possibility of discrimination against male applicants.

The California Chamber of Commerce argued the makeup of corporate boards should be decided on through internal processes rather than being directed by government. The chamber also argued the new measure will rank gender above other elements of diversity such as race and ethnicity.

Some European countries, including Norway and France, already mandate that corporate boards include women. The laws in Norway require a certain percentage of women on boards, and for larger Norwegian companies, the legislation requires women constitute as much as 40 per cent of the board.

The law which Governor Brown has just signed applies to firms which declare their principal executive offices as being located in California.

“I don’t minimise the potential flaws that indeed may prove fatal to its ultimate implementation,” Governor Brown wrote in a signing statement.

“Nevertheless, recent events in Washington, DC – and beyond – make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-becomes-first-state-require-123254194.html

Funny how they didn't have a provision to ensure that publicly traded companies all have at least one man on the board.

Next it will be up to three transgenders, 3 lesbians, 4 undecided genders and 2 illegal aliens. By the time they are done there will be no white, heterosexual Christian males left on the boards. But that is the goal, right?

joeg26er
10-01-18, 18:13
Actual biological women or just identify as one?

Business_Casual
10-01-18, 18:16
If having women on the board makes a company more successful, wouldn’t companies do it without being coerced by laws?

kirkland
10-01-18, 18:21
Women sure seem to need a lot of help don't they. We don't need European style laws that allow the government to dictate who gets what job instead of the best person for the job getting the job.

grnamin
10-01-18, 19:06
Actual biological women or just identify as one?Ha! Therein lies a loophole!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

flenna
10-01-18, 19:33

I can see it coming now. The CaliGestapo raid Big Corporation Inc. and tell them that they will be shut down because they don't have any women on the board. At which point the CEO steps in and says "Your wrong. See Bob, Tom and Robert sitting there? They all identify as women. Just ask them."

Honu
10-01-18, 20:02

WIN WIN :)

a guy needs to say he identifies and when they refuse turn it against them sue the crap out of the ca gov and the company

TAZ
10-01-18, 20:10
Does the law specify that it has to be different women?? Maybe they can all hire the same woman to shut Cali up till they relocate their PO Box headquarters into Nevada.

26 Inf
10-01-18, 23:26
I can see it coming now. The CaliGestapo raid Big Corporation Inc. and tell them that they will be shut down because they don't have any women on the board. At which point the CEO steps in and says "Your wrong. See Bob, Tom and Robert sitting there? They all identify as women. Just ask them."

Ahh, you have a wonderful talent son, don't abuse it. You'll go far in the corporate world.

(wasn't calling you son, the first sentence is a quote from my favorite cartoon character, Uncle Duke.)

Co-gnARR
10-01-18, 23:43
If having women on the board makes a company more successful, wouldn’t companies do it without being coerced by laws?

Indeed. How many companies will leave California or go private, if possible. How many new companies will come to California after this mandate?

SteyrAUG
10-01-18, 23:58
Because forced racism / sexism is the same thing as equality.

docsherm
10-02-18, 06:43

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-02-18, 06:50
Of course, women is just the start. Don't know how this can be legal since set asides haven't done well in front of SCOTUS, especially as blatantly as ones as these.

Arik
10-02-18, 06:59
Indeed. How many companies will leave California or go private, if possible. How many new companies will come to California after this mandate?And when they leave they'll get labeled sexist/racist/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

docsherm
10-02-18, 10:00
And when they leave they'll get labeled sexist/racist/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

And don't forget profitable..... ;)

RobertTheTexan
10-02-18, 10:21
Just another excuse for more Californiastan people to move to Texas. Literally, the last thing we need.
Just another encroachment by the government. When the Dem-maggots regain control, we'll see this kind of garbage expand beyond the borders of CA.

donlapalma
10-02-18, 10:57
If I was a woman aspiring to achieve high level positions of leadership, I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I did not achieve a seat on a board through my own hard work, but rather through some government mandate. But wtf do I know.

flenna
10-02-18, 11:07
If I was a woman aspiring to achieve high level positions of leadership, I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I did not achieve a seat on a board through my own hard work, but rather through some government mandate. But wtf do I know.

Nah, seeing how it will probably end up being liberal feminazis forced onto the boards they will feel like it is owed them.

donlapalma
10-02-18, 11:25
Nah, seeing how it will probably end up being liberal feminazis forced onto the boards they will feel like it is owed them.Yup. Definitely see that happening which could influence corporate policies to be written based on social justice. And we know where that will go.

AKDoug
10-02-18, 13:33

I was having breakfast with my mom and wife this morning and that was their exact feelings on the matter. When I got to work I posed the same question to the lady who manages our company, and my female bookkeeper. They felt exactly the same way. My manager is a bad ass.. doesn't matter that she's a she.

yoni
10-02-18, 15:43
Just makes me happy our American company was formed in WY.

When this comes to WY, I will close the company in the USA. We will figure a path to offer our services in the USA without being an American company. In other words kiss my taxes good bye.