PDA

View Full Version : What is a "young mans" sport/sporty car these day's?

Ron3
10-01-18, 21:57
I'm curious. There are fewer than ever guys/girls into performance cars these days it seems.

But there are a few. Sure the rich write songs about Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and such and want to be seen in them.

Mustang GT's/GT350's/GT500's and Corvette's are "old man" cars, aren't they?

So, while I consider myself middle aged (I hope), what does a guy in his 20's who is in to performance driving, drive? Or want to drive?

Wake27
10-01-18, 22:11
BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnchair 04
10-01-18, 22:18
I went from a camaro to a GTO to a corvette in my twenties, it was natural progression for me. I would’ve died if I went straight to a vette. For me there is no other sports car in my reach that will ever replace a corvette in my garage. I will own one until the day I die. I am getting curious though about the 4 door performance sedans, I may pick up a cts-v or Audi rs4 in the future. I think the new younger crowd sees the 4wd turbo 4 cylinders as the new age sports cars, for me though it has to be 2 doors, rear wheel drive and a v8 under the hood. I’d prefer a manual as well so that really narrows the field these days.

Kenneth
10-01-18, 22:49
The reason they are “old man” cars is usually you have to be old to get one.

For me a Corvette will be my next hot rod. I went from a C10 Chevy>1996 Trans AM>2000 Mustang GT>2012 Dodge Ram (daily driver still).

All of them were nodded with full bolt ones and more. Never should have sold the trans am...

I am now saving to buy a vette. The day I buy one it will be going to a shop to get the full bolt on treatment and a cam.

If you want something more practical and a sleeper look up Boosted F150 on YouTube. 2018 F150 single cab pushing over 750 HP.

Coal Dragger
10-01-18, 23:06
Young guys in their 20’s who want a performance car they can afford are probably looking at a Subaru WRX. Some will still gravitate to the Camaro SS or Mustang GT, but those are the ones who have better jobs, and may also cross shop BMW’s in that price range.

I did the Camaro Z28 and 6 speed manual when I was 19-21. Fun car, damn thing was a ticket magnet.... or maybe I was.

Then a turbo VW. Then a turbo Subaru.

Then cooled my jets in a 1/2 ton pickup that I still have.

In 2015 I bought a Chevrolet SS. So I’m back into RWD, V8 goodness. Albeit with 4 doors, and stealth. The Chevrolet SS might be the ultimate troll car since 99.9995% of other drivers have no clue what it is, the car is hilarious. The fact that it handles superbly thanks to 50/50 weight distribution, magnetic shocks, and careful chassis tuning... and also stops (Brembos!) on top of being pretty quick is icing on the cake. I will admit the siren song of bolt ons and a cam for the LS3 under the hood are calling, because more power will be even more hilarious while compromising none of the utility or comfort of the car day to day.

26 Inf
10-01-18, 23:21
In our area (Central Kansas) pretty much the folks that actually get their hands greasy are either building up lifted diesel trucks, off-road jeeps, or rice burners with tuner exhausts.

Younger middle income folks that buy performance seem to like the new Mustangs or Camaros.

There are also a lot of guys in town that have antique muscle cars stored for special occasions. Not a lot of them are daily drivers and for the most part the youngish guys in that crowd got into the hobby with their dads.

Right now this old man is looking for a truck that will haul my 7200 pound trailer at 75mph, get 14mpg while doing it, and sticker below 50,000.00. That way I can use the current truck to tow the boat when we take the grand kids to the lake.

MegademiC
10-01-18, 23:27
DCM awd with upgraded turbo?

Whats your price range?

Generally “old guy cars” are “people out age cant afford” cars.

For a solid mid-level car, I would go audi, but linited experience.

AKDoug
10-02-18, 01:34
It's my general observation these days that with the cost of cars being a far higher percentage of their income, younger people are not buying higher priced "performance" cars anymore. They are also paying off high student loan debt, paying more for houses, and generally just don't have the spending power many of us did when we were young.

10-02-18, 03:50
AKDoug makes a good point. Also, if I were young enough for a big enlistment bonus, F150 Raptor.

vandal5
10-02-18, 05:11
When I was in my early 20s (almost 40 now) I bought a 944 turbo. Back then it was about 15 years old and I got it for about 10k. While it was a proper sports car at the time I bought, there were plenty of new sports sedans that were just as or quicker.

I think the biggest challenge for the younger guy is they likely won't have the extra money to support a dedicated "fun" car. Which is likely why you see a lot of a lot of BMWs, Audis, WRX as these are sporty, fun to drive and can be driven to work, or on a race track...

Maybe something like the Subaru BRZ, but for 25k... I think I'd still go back to a used Porsche. Maybe the latest air cooled 911 I could afford or a 996.

Unfortunately I need up being between jobs for a bit and had to let that 944 go.

AndyLate
10-02-18, 06:06
I don't remember the last time I saw someone who looked younger than 50 driving a Corvette.I also cannot imagine what a 24 year old guy would have to pay on insurance for one.

I see at least ten 20-something men and women driving Mustang GTs to every one driving any other "performance" car here in the south.

I have a daily driver 2007 Mustang GT and I understand the attraction. They are relatively affordable, reliable and fun to drive, plus easy to mod and there's plenty of "go fast" parts out there for them.

I don't fit the "younger enthusiast" profile, I am 50.

Andy

Hmac
10-02-18, 06:28
In 1970, I bought one of the first Datsun 240Z's . It was a blast to drive. Since that time I've owned 13 Z's of various years. They started to get bigger, heavier, and less fun over the next years and I bailed in the mid 80's. A few years ago I got back into the platform and I'm now on my second Nissan 370Z. This is the best Z ever. rear wheel drive, 350 HP and 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. It handles great, even before I put the heavier sway bars on it. It's quick, corners flat, and is a blast to drive and at $35,000 very cost-effective. Downside...it's small, pretty stripped down by comparison to today's GT luxo-cruisers. Mainly...it's a summer car only. It goes in the garage at the first snowflake in November and comes back out when it's melted in March. Nevertheless...a cost-effective, fun vehicle to play around in.

AndyLate
10-02-18, 06:49
In 1970, I bought one of the first Datsun 240Z's . It was a blast to drive. Since that time I've owned 13 Z's of various years. They started to get bigger, heavier, and less fun over the next years and I bailed in the mid 80's. A few years ago I got back into the platform and I'm now on my second Nissan 370Z. This is the best Z ever. rear wheel drive, 350 HP and 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. It handles great, even before I put the heavier sway bars on it. It's quick, corners flat, and is a blast to drive and at $35,000 very cost-effective. Downside...it's small, pretty stripped down by comparison to today's GT luxo-cruisers. Mainly...it's a summer car only. It goes in the garage at the first snowflake in November and comes back out when it's melted in March. Nevertheless...a cost-effective, fun vehicle to play around in.

I need to check out the 370Zs. I got caught "racing" a Supra with a 280Z on the way home from a girlfiend's apartment when I was in college. They probably would have put me under the jail, but I stopped and the Supra tried to run. I got a butt-chewing and a ticket for 45 in a 25 instead of the 85+ we were running. The Supra driver didn't get off so light.

Stripped down, huh? My Mustang has power windows and AC, what else do you need?

Andy

scooter22
10-02-18, 07:07
What is the price range?

BMW M4
Porsche Cayman
Jaguar F Type

Arik
10-02-18, 07:13
What I see around here is mostly German and Japanese.

E. European guys mostly into German. Everyone else is a mix but mainly Japanese. Couple guys at work build their own German cars. One guy had some sort of Mercedes 4 door sedan putting out 600+ HP. Crashed it eventually. Bought a Porsche, crashed that. Now he's building something else for which he bought a totaled Japanese skyline just for the engine. Another bought two VW Phaeton W12s to make one.

They'll buy whole cars just for that one specific engine or trans. A few of them have gotten into exotic Italian but it's mainly German.

However, most people I know that are into fast cars just want a fast car. They don't care to mess with them, they just want them fast from the factory. After that lease something newer and faster will come out and they'll lease that. My cousin's husband has a Porsche Cayenne twin turbo for my cousin, he drives a Porsche Panamera, and a 911 in the garage.

No one that I can think of of the top of my head cares for American performance cars

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
10-02-18, 07:42
In my early 20's, it was an 8 year old '79 Bronco! :cool:

Went back to college, and bought a new '93 Mustang GT when I graduated. :cool:

Now as a 50-something, my DD is a lifted Jeep Commander. And my "cool" vehicle, is my restomodded '92 Ramcharger! :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/PIC_0014_zps13dd3da0.jpg

Ron3
10-02-18, 08:19
DCM awd with upgraded turbo?

Whats your price range?

I wouldn't spend more than about $35k. It's just going to get beat to hell on my commute. It's a mix of stop and go and 80 mph straights and sweepers. Lots of road debris, rock trucks, pine log trucks, etc. And yea, they're doing 75-80 mph too.

Must be AWD or RWD, 2-doors, manual. Yea, doesn't leave many choices. Needs to be reliable and have good crash protection, too.

Leaning low-mile Corvette. Not high on reliability that's for sure.

Not very concerned with tech or mpg.

Alex V
10-02-18, 08:54
I don't remember the last time I saw someone who looked younger than 50 driving a Corvette.I also cannot imagine what a 24 year old guy would have to pay on insurance for one.

I see at least ten 20-something men and women driving Mustang GTs to every one driving any other "performance" car here in the south.

When I raced more I had a ton of friends with C5 Z's and FRCs that were well under 50. In fact, I would say that the vast majority of the Vetts running 11's and 10's in NJ in the early 2000's were owned by 30 year olds. I was 19 when my WS6 was running 11's. By 20 it was in the 10's. My friend's son is less than 30yo and has a low 10 second C6. You're forgetting that a 2007 Z06 is about $30K at this point. Same price my 2001 WS6 was. Cheaper than a new Camaro 1SS.

I would say that the demographics play a huge part in what sports car is more popular. Hate to make it sound bad, but it's true.

Alex V
10-02-18, 08:57
I wouldn't spend more than about $35k. It's just going to get beat to hell on my commute. It's a mix of stop and go and 80 mph straights and sweepers. Lots of road debris, rock trucks, pine log trucks, etc. And yea, they're doing 75-80 mph too.

Must be AWD or RWD, 2-doors, manual. Yea, doesn't leave many choices. Needs to be reliable and have good crash protection, too.

Leaning low-mile Corvette. Not high on reliability that's for sure.

Not very concerned with tech or mpg.

I would say that the Vette is the way to go. I have seen LS engines with well over 200k on them still racing at the drag strip. You would be surprised how long a Vette will last. Plus it's aluminum and fiberglass, very little to rust out. If you get a manual you will get good gas mileage as well. Again, LS motors are very efficient. I once drove a 99 FRC from VA to NJ and avaraged 35mpg in 6th gear at 75mph. I drove my heads/cam TA with 4:10's from NJ to NC to visit friends and got 27mpg on Sunoco 94.

AndyLate
10-02-18, 11:18
When I raced more I had a ton of friends with C5 Z's and FRCs that were well under 50. In fact, I would say that the vast majority of the Vetts running 11's and 10's in NJ in the early 2000's were owned by 30 year olds. I was 19 when my WS6 was running 11's. By 20 it was in the 10's. My friend's son is less than 30yo and has a low 10 second C6. You're forgetting that a 2007 Z06 is about $30K at this point. Same price my 2001 WS6 was. Cheaper than a new Camaro 1SS.

I would say that the demographics play a huge part in what sports car is more popular. Hate to make it sound bad, but it's true.

I'm not busting on the 'Vette, just an observation of the owners I see here. You are spot on with the demographics, and it doesn't sound bad, it's true.

I do know a lot of guys (personally) who bought a 'Vette later in life because that is when they can afford them, nothing wrong with that.

I would love an early 60's Vette with a small block and a 4 speed.

Andy

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-18, 13:33

And my "cool" vehicle, is my restomodded '92 Ramcharger! :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/PIC_0014_zps13dd3da0.jpg

A man after my own heart!

One of these days I want to rebuild an International Harvester Scout.

AKDoug
10-02-18, 13:40
The 'Vet club guys often stop in at a spring BBQ I have every year at my hardware store. Not one of those dudes isn't collecting social security.

Rogue556
10-02-18, 14:13
Most of what I see the under 30 crowd driving performance wise is Mustang GTs, Camaros, Challenger R/T, Subaru WRX and BRZ (Scion FRS), Nissan 370Z, BMW, and Lexus ISF etc.. on occasion you'll see younger guys in vettes but usually C6 and C6 Z06 or previous models.

Depending on how much money you're looking to spend and if you're wanting something to wrech on, there are still some older models worth looking into.

You can find some of the older model Dodge Vipers for under $50k now (some under 30k even).

2003-2004 Mustang SVT Cobras aren't too bad either and have a very capable drive train.

Of course if you want to spend the money the newer Mustang GT350s are nice, as is the Nissan GTR. Both have tons of aftermarket support as well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

patriot_man
10-02-18, 14:18
I definitely see a lot of BRZ and WRX's where I'm at.

SteyrAUG
10-02-18, 14:27
Stop calling me old.

https://i.imgur.com/dZk4cE5.jpg

NYH1
10-02-18, 14:44

Went back to college, and bought a new '93 Mustang GT when I graduated. :cool:

Now as a 50-something, my DD is a lifted Jeep Commander. And my "cool" vehicle, is my restomodded '92 Ramcharger! :cool:

Awesome Ramcharger you have there The_War_Wagon. I had an '86 w/360, NPG435 4 sp., D44 in front and 9 1/4" LSD in the rear. It was just a driver nothing special.

I currently have a '78 Camaro w/SBC 383 strocker, TH350 and 10 bolt 8.5" rear w/Yukon Duragrip LSD and 3.42 gears.

There are a lot of late model Camaro's, Mustang and Challenger's around here. Most Vette's are owned/driven by older guys/gals.

NYH1.

lowprone
10-02-18, 14:47
Why the Soy Boy 500, why do you ask ?

grizzman
10-02-18, 14:52
While I can specify what seems popular in this area, that doesn't indicate what's popular in Florida.....or what type of car you would enjoy driving. Should it be new, used, or damn near antique? My guess is that a true 25 year old speed freak really doesn't care what other 25 year old speed freaks are driving....they like what they like, and that's what matters. If they were trying to blend in, they wouldn't be into cars.

Late model Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers still seem to be quite popular with those in their 20s and 30s. I don't recall the last time I saw a Corvette driver under 40.

The end of the hot hatch era has really limited the options at lower price points for those not interested in American muscle. For Japanese options, a well maintained MR2 Turbo, Supra, Mitsubishi 3000 GT, or 300ZX Turbo would be solid options in the used segment. The WRX and BRZ would certainly qualify in the new car segment.

I see a lot of BMW 3 series and Ms around here, as well as Audi S series driven by those with (or with a desire to appear to have) more sophistication than the Japanese and American drivers.

The_War_Wagon
10-02-18, 15:18
Awesome Ramcharger you have there The_War_Wagon. I had an '86 w/360, NPG435 4 sp., D44 in front and 9 1/4" LSD in the rear. It was just a driver nothing special.

I wish mine had the 4 spd. - my '79 Bronco had the BW T-18 - it covered a multitude of sins with that smogged up 351 Milford! :p

A518 ain't bad. Wish I'd gone 4.88 gears, instead of 4.56 though. O/D would've made it tolerable still on the street.

Here's what it looked like when I got it! :eek:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/badside_zps45968928.jpg

soulezoo
10-02-18, 15:48
I have an 11sec Dodge Diesel. It also tows my 5th wheel on the weekend!

My daily driver is a 545 hp Audi A8

militarymoron
10-02-18, 16:22

I drove a modified 1978 280Z from 1985 to 2013 as my daily driver - through college and up until I got my current car; a BRZ (supercharged). I'm 50 now, but still wanted the same kind of car that the 280Z was - not a muscle car but a relatively affordable sports car that's a lot of fun to drive in the twisties. I didn't care for the Z/ZX's from 1979-1989.

I agree that area/demographics probably has a lot to do with what the 20-30 crowd chooses or can afford. I see a lot of lower-end or used BMW's and Japanese imports (WRX's) around my area. The 370Z's typically are owned by the over-30 folk. Lots of Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros and Chargers, but they're more of the muscle-car group than the sports car group. The Scion FR-S is definitely more common than the BRZ, and popular with the under 30 crowd.

Hmac
10-02-18, 18:03
I need to check out the 370Zs. I got caught "racing" a Supra with a 280Z on the way home from a girlfiend's apartment when I was in college. They probably would have put me under the jail, but I stopped and the Supra tried to run. I got a butt-chewing and a ticket for 45 in a 25 instead of the 85+ we were running. The Supra driver didn't get off so light.

Stripped down, huh? My Mustang has power windows and AC, what else do you need?

Andy

I have the Sport Touring version. Upgraded suspension, 19 inch wheels, LSD, rev matching...bunch of other stuff like leather, power, rear camera, Bose, Nav. It's not that stripped down, and for the money is a great value. Specs say it will hold 1 G on the skid pad. I've never pushed it that hard but it sure does corner flat.

I had two different 280Z's. They were fun. My 280ZX was bloated. My 280ZX Turbo was bloated too, but really fast.

NYH1
10-02-18, 20:24
I wish mine had the 4 spd. - my '79 Bronco had the BW T-18 - it covered a multitude of sins with that smogged up 351 Milford! :p

A518 ain't bad. Wish I'd gone 4.88 gears, instead of 4.56 though. O/D would've made it tolerable still on the street.

Here's what it looked like when I got it! :eek:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/badside_zps45968928.jpg
You've done a really good job with it that's for sure! ;)

NYH1.

Arik
10-02-18, 21:05
I had an late 90s VSP pursuit Camaro. 5.7ltr. I know it's not much compared to some of you guys but that was the fastest car I owned. With the exception of the 4Runner and one Dodge Ram all I've had were Japanese compact econo boxes!

This, minus the emblemshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181003/9c883e8424f45ad20baea72f8df8156b.jpg

AndyLate
10-02-18, 21:36
I have the Sport Touring version. Upgraded suspension, 19 inch wheels, LSD, rev matching...bunch of other stuff like leather, power, rear camera, Bose, Nav. It's not that stripped down, and for the money is a great value. Specs say it will hold 1 G on the skid pad. I've never pushed it that hard but it sure does corner flat.

I had two different 280Z's. They were fun. My 280ZX was bloated. My 280ZX Turbo was bloated too, but really fast.

So I went and looked at the 370Z; borrowed one for a day and have it sitting in front of my house now. I loved it until halfway home when I realized that Japanese engineers are much thinner than I am - my butt won't fit in the seat. It's a nice car, though. Much different feel than my 2007 Mustang GT. I know it's faster but it doesn't feel like it.

I will just tell myself I didn't want a car payment anyway...

Andy

Hmac
10-02-18, 23:15
So I went and looked at the 370Z; borrowed one for a day and have it sitting in front of my house now. I loved it until halfway home when I realized that Japanese engineers are much thinner than I am - my butt won't fit in the seat. It's a nice car, though. Much different feel than my 2007 Mustang GT. I know it's faster but it doesn't feel like it.

Andy
Heh. That car fits me just fine, but my son is 6’ 5” and really can’t drive it....it’s just way too small. Definitely not well-suited to your average American.

Ron3
10-02-18, 23:18

Andy

The problem I have with the 370z is it hasn't changed in many years. It's outdated and still has certain issues. Tire wear, cabin drone, and a thrashy engine that sounds unhappy at high rpms.

Sales are terrible and I can't believe they still make it. I don't think it ever got over 20k units and it's been under 10K for several years. I think I saw it down the in 5K range last I checked. I guess the machinery is paid for, but it seems they'd shut it down and make more of whatever they sell a lot of. Altima's?

I wish they'd come up with a new one.

But even if they did it would be some damn Hybrid with a 2.0L Turbo, four electric motors, weigh 3800lbs, cost $55K, and have no manual transmission available. (But You can paddle-shift simulated gears in the CVT!!!)

Ron3
10-02-18, 23:25
Where is the affordable 2 Dr coupe with RWD, good handling, a manual trans, 3000 lb and 300-350 hp? (And good torque) This can't be done for under $30K?

The closest thing to it was the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L. (345 hp) It was a little heavier (3400 lbs), handling could have been better, but it was close. Had a great warranty and under $30K.

Ron3
10-02-18, 23:26
No trucks.

elephant
10-03-18, 03:21
In my opinion, the Corvette is the "All American" car.
I have the C7 Grand Sport

To tell you the truth, I'm not all that into cars anymore, or at least as much as I was in my 20's and early 30's. I have owned other cars and I like the atmosphere that surrounds the vibe of owning a Corvette over other cars. Corvette owners don't look down on other Corvette owners.

Arik
10-03-18, 06:42
To tell you the truth, I'm not all that into cars anymore, or at least as much as I was in my 20's and early 30's. .

I'm in the same boat. In my 20s I used to change cars like underwear. Once the novelty wore off I looked for something else. Now in my late 30s I couldn't care less as long as the car was reliable, cheap on maintenance and economical. In fact I'm at the point where I want to see how long the car will last. I've been in the car business for a long time and have driven just about everything under the sun so that may have something to do with it. Today I don't care if it's a Smart for two or mid 70s land yacht so long as it checks of those boxes ..... economical, reliable and inexpensive.

Rayrevolver
10-03-18, 06:55
Where is the affordable 2 Dr coupe with RWD, good handling, a manual trans, 3000 lb and 300-350 hp? (And good torque) This can't be done for under $30K?

The closest thing to it was the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L. (345 hp) It was a little heavier (3400 lbs), handling could have been better, but it was close. Had a great warranty and under $30K.

In 2009 I was looking for a similar car and ended up with a low miles 2004 Z06.

405hp, 405ft-lbs, 3100lbs, and a bulletproof engine you could work on. At the time low miles cars were $25-30k and higher miles were $18-20k.

And the Z was a great daily driver, 28mph on the freeway, and my wife loved to pickup the kid from school in it. It was a pussy cat if you were easy on the throttle.

Today if I had a budget of $30k I would look at:
2019 Miata Targa (I hate convertibles but these look like fun)
04-09 Honda S2000
BRZ/Hachi Roku
C5Z06
C6Z06
Porsche Cayman S
Mustang with flat plane crank, not sure these are near $30k

Alex V
10-03-18, 06:58
Things get in the way and fun cars take a back seat. A few years back I ran 10.24 in my WS6, last fall all I could muster was a 10.68. Just can't shift like I used to. I haven't driven the car in months. Started it for the first time since spring on Monday.

When I was in college I would be at the track 3 or 4 times a month. Now I go once a year.

Daily driver is a 2018 Colorado Z71. The TA can't be daily driven even if I wanted to.

I think a Miata MX5 would be a really fun car. Even an older one and especially with an LS1/2/6 swap. My next fun car will be a slightly used Camaro ZL1-1LE. I'll wait until they are about 3 or 4 years old then try and get one with a stick.

Hmac
10-03-18, 07:54
The problem I have with the 370z is it hasn't changed in many years. It's outdated and still has certain issues. Tire wear, cabin drone, and a thrashy engine that sounds unhappy at high rpms.

Sales are terrible and I can't believe they still make it. I don't think it ever got over 20k units and it's been under 10K for several years. I think I saw it down the in 5K range last I checked. I guess the machinery is paid for, but it seems they'd shut it down and make more of whatever they sell a lot of. Altima's?

I wish they'd come up with a new one.

But even if they did it would be some damn Hybrid with a 2.0L Turbo, four electric motors, weigh 3800lbs, cost $55K, and have no manual transmission available. (But You can paddle-shift simulated gears in the CVT!!!)

Oh I know! Those things are all true of the 370Z. It's always been something of a niche car, but it's a smaller niche now than it's ever been. There have only been minor tweaks since it came out in 2009. It is noisy because cabin insulation is expensive and heavy, and your ears sit about 12 inches from the rear wheel well. As to tires..I got about 16,000 miles out of the stock tires, 20,000 out of the replacement Potenzas, but those summer-compound tires are part of the reason it will hold 1 g on the skid pad, and one reason why at 100 mph that car moves down the highway one-handed rock-solid. Not even enough drama to make my wife nervous (until she sees the speedometer). The engine noise...I see people write about that but I’m not really sure that it’s true. Maybe I’m deaf to it now, but I never launch the car...even when one of the Tunerz Boyz pulls up next to me in his Honda Prelude (with a wing, of course). The most fun I have is on the many local twisty roads, or dropping the thing into 5th and rocketing past that line of cars behind the guy that’s driving 54 MPH. That acceleration from 50 to 90 is fun for me.

When I bought this second Z a couple of years ago I looked hard at other cars first. I drove BMW M’s and a Z, and a Cayman S. The handling of those cars just wasn’t good enough by comparison. My son was a GM mechanic at a Chevy/Hyundai dealer. I drove a Genesis Coupe and was impressed with the build, but it wasn’t close in perceptible power or handling. I also seriously considered the Corvette, drove it for a day. I loved that car! It was the only one I drove that would corner hard with the same lack of drama that I got with the Z. The new Corvettes fixed everything I always hated about the Corvette for 30 years. But a new Sport-Touring model Z cost me about $30,000 and at the end of the day I just couldn’t justify twice the price OTD plus almost double the insurance premium for a car that I coudn’t drive in a Minnesota winter and was going to sit in my garage for 5 or 6 months out of the year.

No regrets on opting for the Z second time around. If it was going to be a year-round car for me I probably would have bought the Corvette, but on a fun-for-the-money basis I don’t think that 370Z can be beat, even today 9 model years later.

..http://ssequine.net/Z2014bs.jpg

Adrenaline_6
10-03-18, 08:55
Things get in the way and fun cars take a back seat. A few years back I ran 10.24 in my WS6, last fall all I could muster was a 10.68. Just can't shift like I used to. I haven't driven the car in months. Started it for the first time since spring on Monday.

When I was in college I would be at the track 3 or 4 times a month. Now I go once a year.

Daily driver is a 2018 Colorado Z71. The TA can't be daily driven even if I wanted to.

I think a Miata MX5 would be a really fun car. Even an older one and especially with an LS1/2/6 swap. My next fun car will be a slightly used Camaro ZL1-1LE. I'll wait until they are about 3 or 4 years old then try and get one with a stick.

10.24 in a WS6? What did you do to that thing?

I had a real '69 Z-28 RS. No original engine and trans, but a real one nonetheless. Regret getting rid of it. I will never find one now for a decent price. It had a rare option on it that to this day, nobody I know has heard of. It could have been dealer installed. Don't know. It was called a "liquid tire chain". There was a tube with a cap that aerosol canisters went in mounted above each rear tire well, that led to nozzles above the rear tires. When vacuum was applied to the cap, it would push a pin out in the cap and activate the aerosol canister which would then spray the rear tire with the liquid in the canister. There is a sticker with an AC Delco part number on those caps for the replacement canisters.

I would think if they would put Civic Type R power in an Toyota 86 (FRS), that would be a fun machine.

26 Inf
10-03-18, 11:25
Has anyone driven the Kia Stinger? My wife has a Kia Sorento and I am impressed by it's quality and bang per buck. It is a 2017 and just turned over 42,000 trouble free miles.

ramairthree
10-03-18, 12:08
Has anyone driven the Kia Stinger? My wife has a Kia Sorento and I am impressed by it's quality and bang per buck. It is a 2017 and just turned over 42,000 trouble free miles.

I know a guy that recently got one and he loves it.

He was a high school to flight school VN vet. First round of CW5s. Retired and then Was a DAC pilot for special operations for decades and recently retired from that.

The kind of guy that had a GTO and such as a young man, and always as decent a daily driver / fun car as the years went by.

He was very excited about it.
I was not into looks wise, etc. but that is true for performance cars that don’t look exciting of any origin for me.

So,
Looks aside, it is no luxury car on the inside. About like an accord or Camry interior.

But at the end of the day,
It offers quarter mile times on par with a new Challenger RT, Mustang GT, or Camaro SS.

Cars are much more expensive as a portion of your salary than they were decades ago. Braking and handling systems, electronics, etc. all add costs. And all these things and other aspects all add significant weight.

He can give you a treatise on the parallels of car and aircraft engine and engineering improvements, not resulting is proportional gains in performance, secondary to added capabilities and electronics and other items creating so much increase in weight.

Much like a ground pounder can assure you how his superior, lighter weight versions of typical gear the old timers had,
Have been met with armor, batteries, night vision, and a ton of stuff ensuring his load is heavier than ever despite it.

Alex V
10-03-18, 20:36
10.24 in a WS6? What did you do to that thing?

Stock CID, stock crank solid roller. Big cam and ported Trick Flow 225 heads. FAST 102mm intake. 1-7/8" Kooks headers and true dual exhaust. A lot of suspension all with metal end links. Pretty much all the bolt ons. Drop spindles and light weight Strange breaks. Strange 12 bolt with 4:56's. Runs on a 28x10.5-15 slick. Face plated T56. It should be scratching at the 9.99 mark but I just don't race it anymore. Put down 525hp to the rear wheels on 93 pump gas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoaEuAPl9GV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nv05yi5trra2

Adrenaline_6
10-04-18, 09:47
Stock CID, stock crank solid roller. Big cam and ported Trick Flow 225 heads. FAST 102mm intake. 1-7/8" Kooks headers and true dual exhaust. A lot of suspension all with metal end links. Pretty much all the bolt ons. Drop spindles and light weight Strange breaks. Strange 12 bolt with 4:56's. Runs on a 28x10.5-15 slick. Face plated T56. It should be scratching at the 9.99 mark but I just don't race it anymore. Put down 525hp to the rear wheels on 93 pump gas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoaEuAPl9GV/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nv05yi5trra2

Nice! Sounds like fun times!

Somewhere on the island of Kaua'i, there is a small block 3.75" Chevy 4140 Steel crank (400 CI), a new set of 4140 steel rods (350 length), an unused Competition Cams solid roller cam with the matching roller lifters with rev kit. A set of CC stainless roller rockers and hardened .100 long pushrods. Ported Dart II heads with Manley Severe Duty Valves port matched to a Victor Jr manifold, an MSD ditributor, MSD ignition with ignition timing dial. A Fluidamper harmonics dampener. Set of Hooker Competition headers with the bigger size pipes. All the nice pulley and valve cover bolt ons. A few different Holley DP carb sizes. Plus a reworked Turbo 400 trans with 8" converter.

Either that or somebody has stolen it and is having fun. I probably prefer the latter than finally getting back there and find everything listed has rusted to sh*t.

Ron3
10-04-18, 10:12

No manual trans, no 2 dr, no buy. :(

WillBrink
10-04-18, 10:42
I'm curious. There are fewer than ever guys/girls into performance cars these days it seems.

But there are a few. Sure the rich write songs about Lamborghini's and Ferrari's and such and want to be seen in them.

Mustang GT's/GT350's/GT500's and Corvette's are "old man" cars, aren't they?

So, while I consider myself middle aged (I hope), what does a guy in his 20's who is in to performance driving, drive? Or want to drive?

Without budget, needs, wants, etc, hard to even know where to start. Coup? Sedan? Other? I'd probably get a M3 sedan for killer performance, good looks, some level of practicality, etc, but they aint cheap.

Ron3
10-04-18, 11:57
Without budget, needs, wants, etc, hard to even know where to start. Coup? Sedan? Other? I'd probably get a M3 sedan for killer performance, good looks, some level of practicality, etc, but they aint cheap.

It's in the thread. Leaning towards a low miles C6 Corvette. I don't consider myself the Corvette type but it's got what I want in a small market segment.

Adrenaline_6
10-04-18, 12:08

It looks interesting. I saw a video of the GT model beating a Mustang GT in a drag race. Kudos to Kia for that affordable Panamera .

WillBrink
10-04-18, 12:10
It's in the thread. Leaning towards a low miles C6 Corvette. I don't consider myself the Corvette type but it's got what I want in a small market segment.

Would not be my choice, but that's what makes horse racing. Enjoy :cool:

Hmac
10-05-18, 11:35

A sedan didn't interest me in a car that I'm driving for fun. 4 doors and a back seat just kind of puts a huge damper on the concept for me...not sure what I'd put back there anyway. I did drive the M4, however. It was OK, but if I was going to shell out $75,000 for an exciting car to drive, I'd get a new Corvette every time. I found the M4 to be kind of a yawner.

turnburglar
10-05-18, 12:04
LOL I should take a few pictures of the parking lot at my school. The typical arab and asain 19 year old has a 16 M3- IF THEY ARE POOR. I have seen aston martins with custom paintjobs, jaguars, lamborghini, and the porsche SUV's. The most common car has to be a Mercedes AMG, but there are quite a few M BMW's with 10K in exhuast work. Turbos spooling everywhere! Another favorite for the youth in santa monica is anything SRT. They love the charger and challaneger especialy. Of course none of these kids know how to drive nor is there anywhere too drive. It's just little 1st gear rifts from stop sign to stop sign.

Im personally really hot on the Jeep SRT right now. A aquitance was a lawyer and had both the SRT8 AND trackhawk in his garage. The srt was a serisouly fun animal. The track hawk was startrek-warp-speed fast. Although he did have some issues with the trackhawk that made dodge refund a significant amount of the lease while it was getting fixed.

turnburglar
10-05-18, 12:10
A sedan didn't interest me in a car that I'm driving for fun. 4 doors and a back seat just kind of puts a huge damper on the concept for me...not sure what I'd put back there anyway.

Oh I am the complete opposite. I dont even want a fast car unless it has 4 doors. The main reason being that if I am going down the "Ill make significant compromises to get as fast as possible" I would just buy a Ariel Atom, or street legal a Maverick X3 R. With all the extra space you could do normal things in your super fast car.

Super fast pizza run?

Super fast vegas trip?

Ever get a bunch of strippers in a super fast car? One is cool, but half the squad is even better.

The more room you have, the more uses you will find for it.

Moose-Knuckle
10-05-18, 13:25
A sedan didn't interest me in a car that I'm driving for fun. 4 doors and a back seat just kind of puts a huge damper on the concept for me...not sure what I'd put back there anyway. I did drive the M4, however. It was OK, but if I was going to shell out $75,000 for an exciting car to drive, I'd get a new Corvette every time. I found the M4 to be kind of a yawner.

I have two friends who are into exotics, both are avid Porsche owners. The one who lives in CONUS says they are the most economical and easiest to maintain of the imported exotics. My friend who is from Germany about shit kittens when they introduced the Panamera sedan and Cayenne SUV. Yeah you don't do four doors if you want a sports car.

Artos
10-05-18, 18:30
5402654027I waited until my late 40's to finally go out and get my first real performance vehicle. Mopar was out & while I still dig the Hellcat, it's a straight-line car & wanted a car that could turn as well as accelerate. Wish they would get back in the game as I know they can build it with the ex-Viper. Looked hard & wanted to like the Vette, but just couldn't get vibe, tried to buy a GT350R but no Ford dealers would dance. Sorry, not paying a penny over sticker for any car much less $5k plus. Ended up finding out about the introduction / launch & ordered the 17 Camaro ZL1 with the 10 speed. It is a a lot of car & to quote a guy on camaro6 forum who sold his after a few months to get an M4: "It's like driving an angry penis turned up to 11 all the time & too much for the street." I don't see it that way, but don't daily drive it...it's a joy to get out of a company truck that is driven around 400 miles a day & occasionally be in a top shelf sports car. The goal now is to get up to Austin at the circuit of the America track, get an instructor & learn to do what the car was made for. I still spend too much time & money on hunting to make it a priority, but will happen.

Hard for me to suggest what the best choice would be for a mid 30's that has all you are looking for...I do think both the new 19 Mustang & Camaro with their entry 5.0 & 6.2 naturally aspirated packages are really good cars starting in the 40's. I guess if I was looking in your range would try to see if there was a used basic 2017 Camaro SS 1LE?? Lots of good suggestions & a good time to be a car guy.

Here is the A10 ZL1 at Nurburgring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFnrcpBj5k

AndyLate
10-05-18, 20:56
The engine noise...I see people write about that but I’m not really sure that it’s true.

I thought the 370Z I drove for a day was too quiet; I didn't notice any harshness and definitely ran it through its entire rpm range. The one I drove loved to rev. They even put a red light in the dash that illuminates somewhere around 6500-7000 rpm.

Hmac
10-05-18, 21:10
I thought the 370Z I drove for a day was too quiet; I didn't notice any harshness and definitely ran it through its entire rpm range. The one I drove loved to rev. They even put a red light in the dash that illuminates somewhere around 6500-7000 rpm.

Yeah, that rev limiter light is programmable. I have mine set at 5500 RPM. If I ever light that sucker in 6th gear, I'm doing over 100 mph. I have to be careful with that car, especially passing a line of cars. It's so solid that 100 mph lacks the drama that would normally keep me in a more sane speed range.

Kenneth
10-05-18, 21:58
I have friends with hellcats, ZL1, Vette and you know what they all are wanting? A new Shelby GT350. That car has an 8500 rev limiter and is amazing.

Artos
10-05-18, 23:41
I have friends with hellcats, ZL1, Vette and you know what they all are wanting? A new Shelby GT350. That car has an 8500 rev limiter and is amazing.

Kenneth, you better tell your friends with said buyers remorse to research the 5.2 Voodoo's engine's failures...Ford did an amazing job IMO making such a large flat plane crank engine & like I said, tried to buy one. However, the evidence is now out & the vibration issues it sees on the road course needs to be addressed. It is simply blowing up on an unfortunate regular basis when ridden hard. That doesn't mean it isn't a good choice for a street warrior, but if you are a track rat...better forget it & from what I hear on the mustang forums is a warrantee loser for Ford & will not be available much longer.

The bigger question is what are we going to see with the new GT500?? I hope they hit it out of the park!! I'm not a brand name guy & did my research with the ZL1...having said that, I chose the F150 when my boss asked me what my next company truck should be. My wife drives a 15 Tahoe. The car I traded in for my ZL1 was a 14 Durango Hemi.

Another issue to consider is Ford will not officially run at Nurburgring like GM does & they need to jump on board. If you look at / google the top 100 times at this track, the GT350's time it is from an individual and not from from Ford. GM owns the top three when it comes to top shelf handling sports car. The LT4 engine in the Camaro ZL1 & ZL1 1LE is actually does better on the track than the Vette Z06 because of the heating issues. That is why there is no official Z06 time. Now they got the LT5 in the Vette ZR1 which is a monster with a story yet to be told. I don't think the new GT500 will handle either the Camaro or Vette, but hope it does. Competition is what keeps this game fun.

Here is the 18 ZL1 1LE at Nurburgring...all you have to do is look up the top 100 times and see a GM car beating all the super cars costing 2x-4x as much.

This is insane for a $70k car...The $500,000 Ford GT is lucky to be in the same game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw

daddyusmaximus
10-06-18, 10:58
I think I saw the OP say something about wanting something done for $30K. I read 2 doors, stick, and V-8. What I didn't read was how open are you to older cars? Why not take an older muscle car, and build it? You may not be rich, but $30K is a nice budget. A lot can be done with that. A nice one can be bought for that already done. There is no better way to get the attention than with a classic.

Some rich douche can be sitting there showing off his Lamborghini, and if you were to drive up in a nicely done '66 Chevelle, or a '63 Fairlane 500, the crowd would ALL walk over to check you out.

daddyusmaximus
10-06-18, 11:10
Young guys in their 20’s who want a performance car they can afford are probably looking at a Subaru WRX. Some will still gravitate to the Camaro SS or Mustang GT, but those are the ones who have better jobs, and may also cross shop BMW’s in that price range.

I did the Camaro Z28 and 6 speed manual when I was 19-21. Fun car, damn thing was a ticket magnet.... or maybe I was.

Then a turbo VW. Then a turbo Subaru.

Then cooled my jets in a 1/2 ton pickup that I still have.

In 2015 I bought a Chevrolet SS. So I’m back into RWD, V8 goodness. Albeit with 4 doors, and stealth. The Chevrolet SS might be the ultimate troll car since 99.9995% of other drivers have no clue what it is, the car is hilarious. The fact that it handles superbly thanks to 50/50 weight distribution, magnetic shocks, and careful chassis tuning... and also stops (Brembos!) on top of being pretty quick is icing on the cake. I will admit the siren song of bolt ons and a cam for the LS3 under the hood are calling, because more power will be even more hilarious while compromising none of the utility or comfort of the car day to day.

Bad-ass car. I wanted one when they came out. I ended up with Fords answer to them, the 2003 Mercury Marauder. Same concept, different execution. I love mine as well. I call it "the gentleman's hot rod". It's getting the engine rebuilt after 164K. I should have it back this afternoon, or tomorrow... I'm so excited...

https://i.imgur.com/wBiEq7z.jpg

NYH1
10-06-18, 12:19
Bad-ass car. I wanted one when they came out. I ended up with Fords answer to them, the 2003 Mercury Marauder. Same concept, different execution. I love mine as well. I call it "the gentleman's hot rod". It's getting the engine rebuilt after 164K. I should have it back this afternoon, or tomorrow... I'm so excited...

https://i.imgur.com/wBiEq7z.jpg
Did you do any performance upgrades to your engine? If so what? I also kind of digged those Marauder's.

NYH1.

daddyusmaximus
10-06-18, 14:20
This is a straight rebuild. I've a CJ7 frame up build right now that is taking most of my spare money, (and the entire garage) but I do have my eye on a supercharger in the future if I can ever save up for one. It's my daily, and it's really all I need as is.

The_War_Wagon
10-06-18, 15:08
I REALLY wanted the Marauder convertible, but it never went beyond "concept." And this one-off.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Mercury/2003-Mercury-Marauder-Convertible-Concept-01.jpg

http://autos.novidadediaria.com.br/wp-content/gallery/mercury-marauder-convertible-concept/mercury-marauder-convertible-concept-7.jpghttp://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Marauder-convertible-2002_zps4huky4pg.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
10-06-18, 15:13
Those Marauders are awesome sleepers.

Arik
10-06-18, 15:44
There was an article I read about a year ago about a guy who bought a Marauder as a possible investment in thinking that it may be a limited run. He has something like 80, miles on it. Starts it up once a week to let it run.

NYH1
10-06-18, 22:34
This is a straight rebuild. I've a CJ7 frame up build right now that is taking most of my spare money, (and the entire garage) but I do have my eye on a supercharger in the future if I can ever save up for one. It's my daily, and it's really all I need as is.
I've never been able to pull a motor and do a stock rebuild. I'd have to stick a 3.4" stroker crank in it with some TFS heads. It's just a disease I have....I can't be helped! :D

Good luck bro, NYH1.

daddyusmaximus
10-06-18, 22:38
I've never been able to pull a motor and do a stock rebuild. I'd have to stick a 3.4" stroker crank in it with some TFS heads. It's just a disease I have....I can't be helped! :D

Good luck bro, NYH1.

That disease is easy to overcome when you have the budget of someone living off VA disability, and with two kids in college, and a Jeep project in the works...

Ron3
10-08-18, 00:36
I think I saw the OP say something about wanting something done for $30K. I read 2 doors, stick, and V-8. What I didn't read was how open are you to older cars? Why not take an older muscle car, and build it? You may not be rich, but $30K is a nice budget. A lot can be done with that. A nice one can be bought for that already done. There is no better way to get the attention than with a classic.

Some rich douche can be sitting there showing off his Lamborghini, and if you were to drive up in a nicely done '66 Chevelle, or a '63 Fairlane 500, the crowd would ALL walk over to check you out.

I wish I could. But I need a reliable car because I commute through some bad areas. (and have to get to work) Also needs to be more likely to save to my butt in a crash. Because crashes are common.

I'll probably end up with a low-mile 2008-2011 Corvette. I don't think of myself as a "Corvette guy" but it checks the boxes.

I've had several Mustang GT's/Cobra's. I never cared for the lack of torque/responsiveness of the 4.6L 3V and 4V unless your over 3250-3500 rpm. When you need to punch it and your going 70 mph at 2300 rpm in 6th (or 2700 in 5th IIRC) there is almost nothing there for you. (Ok, the supercharged '03 Cobra had power everywhere!)

I only drove one 5.0L Coyote but it felt the same as the 4.6 3V and 4V in the lower-rpm range.

I'll bet the 6.0L push-rod, lighter weight Corvette responds much better at those lower rpms.

Kenneth
10-08-18, 01:42
The 4.6 was a dog motor. I had a complete bolt on 2000 GT. It was still slow.

I could tear someone up from 1st and 2nd but after that it fell on its face.

The 5.0 coyote motor responds to mods VERY well. Headers, full exhaust, cold air intake, custom tune. Probably over 500hp to the ground.

daddyusmaximus
10-08-18, 07:50
I wish I could. But I need a reliable car because I commute through some bad areas. (and have to get to work) Also needs to be more likely to save to my butt in a crash. Because crashes are common.

I'll probably end up with a low-mile 2008-2011 Corvette. I don't think of myself as a "Corvette guy" but it checks the boxes.

I've had several Mustang GT's/Cobra's. I never cared for the lack of torque/responsiveness of the 4.6L 3V and 4V unless your over 3250-3500 rpm. When you need to punch it and your going 70 mph at 2300 rpm in 6th (or 2700 in 5th IIRC) there is almost nothing there for you. (Ok, the supercharged '03 Cobra had power everywhere!)

I only drove one 5.0L Coyote but it felt the same as the 4.6 3V and 4V in the lower-rpm range.

I'll bet the 6.0L push-rod, lighter weight Corvette responds much better at those lower rpms.

If you don't care for the lack of low RPM response in the newer Mustangs, it's because you don't understand the engines. There is no low RPM response. These overhead cam engines are not the same animals as the old pushrod engines. They are more European in design. You gotta rev the shit outta them, or no balls. A lot of Americans don't like them.

It took me a long time to get used to the 4.6 DOHC in my Marauder. I got a 4K lb car with no balls down low. However, it has a high stall speed on the converter, and it revs like crazy, so after a second or two, she gets up and goes. It's a different feel. The overhead cams, and all those revs make for a completely different sound too. Kinda weird 'til you get used to it. I do miss the low end torque of the old engines, but I love the 21 mpg.

To be honest, what I really like is the ride. I'm getting old, I'm all beat to hell from too many deployments. This thing rides like a dream... yet it still handles way better than a 4 door family sedan has a right to. With my back and neck issues, climbing into, and out of a Mustang or Vette, just ain't gonna happen.

When it's all said and done, I'm a fat old cripple that walks with a cane, and has a service dog. I drive a 4 door family sedan with handicap plates, and I can still have fun surprising a lot of folks who don't know what this thing is...

You won't be disappointed with a Vette. The push rod engines give more low end torque, and the design also keeps the weight low in the frame. You'll have more cubic inches, and less weight overall. There is no denying the speed and handling of a modern Vette. I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me. I just hate the styling. Now a '69... Yeah baby. I personally don't like anything newer than 3rd gen, or 4th gen based on body style... but the newer ones will drive circles around the older ones so if you're going for the experience, you'll love it....

pinzgauer
10-08-18, 09:06
My friend just bought a used 959.2 (Porsche) and when having it checked out the tech indicated that the car had a pattern of being "undershifted" (lugged) by its prior owners.

This guy has a lot of hi perf/Exotics, and we started talking about this. Under shifting is enough of a problem that some of the performance cars are starting to gate off parts of the transmission to keep American drivers from undershifting the way we are prone to.

Even friends of mine who should know better tend to do this.

Bottom line, putting the engine under heavy load significantly below its torque Peak (lugging due to too high of a gear) is harder on the engine than letting it rev. Yet so many people are like "the engines just screaming can't be good for it".

I think of this whenever I hear people talk about down low torque of pushrod engines.

You can get away with this more so with automatics due to the torque multiplication effect of the torque converter.

Ron3
10-08-18, 10:50
If you don't care for the lack of low RPM response in the newer Mustangs, it's because you don't understand the engines. There is no low RPM response. These overhead cam engines are not the same animals as the old pushrod engines. They are more European in design. You gotta rev the shit outta them, or no balls. A lot of Americans don't like them.

Oh, I know about the torque from push rods, cubes, and power-adders. :)

I enjoy the want-to-rev nature of the 4.6L 3v and especially 4v. But in day to day commuting I'd rather have the torque.

The Panther platform (your Marauder) aren't bad - handling cars and do have a nice ride. You just have to keep up with replacing front end ball joints/bushings/etc. :) And door window regulators...

Your Marauder has what is called a "Watt's link". It's kinda neat. Check it out of your not familiar. You'll find it on top of your differential. Not many cars have one.

NYH1
10-08-18, 11:56
That disease is easy to overcome when you have the budget of someone living off VA disability, and with two kids in college, and a Jeep project in the works...
I built the SBC 383 stroker motor while I was out of work awaiting major back surgery. I had to squeeze a little $$$ from other things. Worse part of it....my back's worse now after the surgery, then before.

We built our pole barn with 12 foot ceilings so once it's finished I can put in a car/truck lift. Can't do much bending anymore.

ETA; I also only had one vehicle project going on at the time.

NYH1.

grizzman
10-08-18, 12:21
Since low end torque seems vitally important, that simplifies this a lot.

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.

Ron3
10-08-18, 13:58

You can either have an old tech domestic with pushrods or something not naturally aspirated.

Yup. I miss big engines (6.6L/400 ci. Pontiac) turbos & the blown 03 Cobra.

NA is better for the track but I haven't done that in years.

Ron3
10-08-18, 14:03
I have to admit the coming Hyundai Veloster Turbo N is intriguing.

But, it's a little short on power (275hp I think) is FWD (yuck) and though it sounds good for a 4 cyl, it still sounds like a 4 cyl.

But it will handle well, has LSD, torque vectoring, is pretty light, 6 spd manual. Bremo's, heads up display, and several other good things. Also a great warranty and will be about $25-30k.

NYH1
10-08-18, 17:04

You can have an old tech domestic with pushrods force induced too. Centrifugal, roots and screw blowers as well as turbo's are more popular and readily available now then ever. Your wallet's the limit.

NYH1.

ClearedHot
10-08-18, 17:51
https://www.tomanperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/p-11298-AMS_Performance_Nissan_GT-R_Alpha_12_500x375.jpg

/thread

Ron3
10-08-18, 18:40
You can have an old tech domestic with pushrods force induced too. Centrifugal, roots and screw blowers as well as turbo's are more popular and readily available now then ever. Your wallet's the limit.

NYH1.

Not a good commuter car. :eek:

Ron3
10-08-18, 18:42
https://www.tomanperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/p-11298-AMS_Performance_Nissan_GT-R_Alpha_12_500x375.jpg

/thread

That's what people wish they could drive, sure. But not for the daily grind.

elephant
10-08-18, 19:49
If you have $30k to spend on a young mans sports car, then I would try to find something that has lost its economic value and only search for something that has material value. What I mean by that is a car that has already depreciated its resale market value- meaning, its not really going to go down much more in value yet still remains valuable like air-cooled Porsches, 1984-1996 Ferraris etc.

Depending on what you want, $30k can actually go a long way. You can find a pretty new (3-5 years old) Rousch Mustang for around $30k. You can get an 01-2010 Saleen Mustang. In fact for $30k, you can get a Porsche Cayman S or 996 with 40-60k miles, Porsche 997 with around 50-70k miles. You can get in a Dodge Viper with 20-40k miles for $30k as well as get into a C5-C6 Corvette Z06.

Here is the thing about Porsche 911's. I have owned a 1977 911, 996GT3, 997C4 and currently a 2015 Cayenne GTS and they run and drive great and they are dependable as an everyday driver. Only problem I have with the 996-997 era is that the EMF bearing can go out, doesn't cost much to fix but does take time and a certified shop. The AIR pump does go out and can cost up to $2000, the OEM catalytic converters do tend to rattle on higher mileage cars and overall, they are rattle boxes like the dash, console, glove box etc.

This is a video of me starting my 360F1 with 160k miles and GT3 which currently has 328k miles. Starts up like a champ but does show its age. You can hear the rattle in the catalytic converter when I start it. This is OEM exhaust matched with a cold air intake and different spark plugs/wires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0d_z3bRR8

I sold these cars last year when I purchased my 2017 Corvette. My whole philosophy was either I could own 1 brand new Corvette or I could own 4 Porsches or 2 Porsches and a Ferrari. I bought the Porsche with 130k miles for I think $10-12k in 2009, put about $3800 into it right away, 2" lowering springs, sway bar, traction bar, cast aluminum intake, and took the factory cage out and I passenger side mirror.

But I wouldn't buy a car and put a lot of money into it: I bought a 1976 Chevrolet truck for my dad's 40th anniversary. I bought the truck for $2500 and put $58k into it over a 8 month complete frame off restoration. I surprised my dad with the truck only a week before he passed and he never really got to enjoy it but did get a picture with it. I have been trying to sell that truck for $12k for the last year. Some cars are not worth putting any money into them so that's why I say, find a car that has material value and not a economic value associated with it. People will buy Corvettes and Mustangs all day long, People will buy Porsches all day long, if not to drive, to track- which is what I did mostly.

Another great car that is going up in value is the 1987 Buick Grand Nationals, 3rd Gen F-Bodies (T/A's- Camaros) are maintaining or at least holding value and have been for a while.

Either way, $30k is enough to get you something nice that will last a long time and allow you to have years of enjoyment. Buy something that is ready to drive.

Artos
10-08-18, 20:08

The 6.2 LT1 naturally aspirated traditional pushrod engine in the Camaro is a fantastic choice for the folks wanting said torque & handling...the entry 1SS with the 1LE option is a hell of a road course track package for the $$$$.

vandal5
10-08-18, 20:17
You Sir have great taste in cars!

Would love to get a 996 gt3. Have not looked at prices in a long time but the 996 series used to be quite the bargain.
If you have $30k to spend on a young mans sports car, then I would try to find something that has lost its economic value and only search for something that has material value. What I mean by that is a car that has already depreciated its resale market value- meaning, its not really going to go down much more in value yet still remains valuable like air-cooled Porsches, 1984-1996 Ferraris etc.

Depending on what you want, $30k can actually go a long way. You can find a pretty new (3-5 years old) Rousch Mustang for around $30k. You can get an 01-2010 Saleen Mustang. In fact for $30k, you can get a Porsche Cayman S or 996 with 40-60k miles, Porsche 997 with around 50-70k miles. You can get in a Dodge Viper with 20-40k miles for $30k as well as get into a C5-C6 Corvette Z06.

Here is the thing about Porsche 911's. I have owned a 1977 911, 996GT3, 997C4 and currently a 2015 Cayenne GTS and they run and drive great and they are dependable as an everyday driver. Only problem I have with the 996-997 era is that the EMF bearing can go out, doesn't cost much to fix but does take time and a certified shop. The AIR pump does go out and can cost up to $2000, the OEM catalytic converters do tend to rattle on higher mileage cars and overall, they are rattle boxes like the dash, console, glove box etc.

This is a video of me starting my 360F1 with 160k miles and GT3 which currently has 328k miles. Starts up like a champ but does show its age. You can hear the rattle in the catalytic converter when I start it. This is OEM exhaust matched with a cold air intake and different spark plugs/wires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0d_z3bRR8

I sold these cars last year when I purchased my 2017 Corvette. My whole philosophy was either I could own 1 brand new Corvette or I could own 4 Porsches or 2 Porsches and a Ferrari. I bought the Porsche with 130k miles for I think $10-12k in 2009, put about $3800 into it right away, 2" lowering springs, sway bar, traction bar, cast aluminum intake, and took the factory cage out and I passenger side mirror.

But I wouldn't buy a car and put a lot of money into it: I bought a 1976 Chevrolet truck for my dad's 40th anniversary. I bought the truck for $2500 and put $58k into it over a 8 month complete frame off restoration. I surprised my dad with the truck only a week before he passed and he never really got to enjoy it but did get a picture with it. I have been trying to sell that truck for $12k for the last year. Some cars are not worth putting any money into them so that's why I say, find a car that has material value and not a economic value associated with it. People will buy Corvettes and Mustangs all day long, People will buy Porsches all day long, if not to drive, to track- which is what I did mostly.

Another great car that is going up in value is the 1987 Buick Grand Nationals, 3rd Gen F-Bodies (T/A's- Camaros) are maintaining or at least holding value and have been for a while.

Either way, $30k is enough to get you something nice that will last a long time and allow you to have years of enjoyment. Buy something that is ready to drive.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk