PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max (1979) questions

Ron3
10-01-18, 22:04
After Max's girl/wife escapes Toe Cutter's gang she drives to meet Max with Cundalini's hand still on the chain behind the wagon.

There is a scene where Max is talking to a guy wearing dark clothes (on the telephone IIRC). I don't recall ever understanding what they were saying because the music is too loud.

I think this is one of those scenes where the final edit messed it up.

My question is who the heck was that guy? A lawyer? Friend? I found his name is "Ziggy". They are talking about the hand and presumably the attack. But who is that guy?

Also, the old lady with the SXS shotgun. (At the farm/rural house) Who was she again? Max's aunt? His girls Mom? Grandma? "May Swaisey" is her name.

And who was the big lug/simpleton? (also at the farm/rural house) "Benno" was his name.

m1a_scoutguy
10-01-18, 23:42
Dang,thats a ways back ! I've seen the movie tons of times but I sure can't remember. I'll check with my Son,,,he is good with all that stuff. I'll get back tomorrow but someone else will help ya before that I'm sure !

Iraqgunz
10-02-18, 05:15
Ziggy was the local sheriff in the area. Aunt May was a friend of Max and his wife. Benno was not really described and was most likely her son.

After Max's girl/wife escapes Toe Cutter's gang she drives to meet Max with Cundalini's hand still on the chain behind the wagon.

There is a scene where Max is talking to a guy wearing dark clothes (on the telephone IIRC). I don't recall ever understanding what they were saying because the music is too loud.

I think this is one of those scenes where the final edit messed it up.

My question is who the heck was that guy? A lawyer? Friend? I found his name is "Ziggy". They are talking about the hand and presumably the attack. But who is that guy?

Also, the old lady with the SXS shotgun. (At the farm/rural house) Who was she again? Max's aunt? His girls Mom? Grandma? "May Swaisey" is her name.

And who was the big lug/simpleton? (also at the farm/rural house) "Benno" was his name.

RetroRevolver77
10-02-18, 07:08
deleted

Doc Safari
10-02-18, 09:26
The thing I didn't get about the whole movie is what kind of future they were living in. Had the whole word fallen into virtual anarchy just because civilization was breaking down? Or was Australia sort of the last remnant of civilization after a nuclear war had devastated the rest of the planet? Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior sort of alluded to it being the latter scenario, but there was also the suggestion that society had fallen apart before the first movie, then a nuclear exchange had finished the job between movies one and two.

Ron3
10-02-18, 12:39
The thing I didn't get about the whole movie is what kind of future they were living in. Had the whole word fallen into virtual anarchy just because civilization was breaking down? Or was Australia sort of the last remnant of civilization after a nuclear war had devastated the rest of the planet? Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior sort of alluded to it being the latter scenario, but there was also the suggestion that society had fallen apart before the first movie, then a nuclear exchange had finished the job between movies one and two.

Thanks, guys, that answers my questions.

I think the time of "Mad Max" is that things were falling apart a bit and the nuclear war came afterward.

sundance435
10-02-18, 12:48

I always thought it was the former, at least in "Mad Max".

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-18, 13:40
ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MAD MAX UNIVERSE

What Caused Earth to Become a Wasteland?
The voiceovers in the trailers for Fury Road actually give a more explicit description of what happened to Earth than any of the previous Max movies ever did. Max says his world is "fire and blood" and a newscaster's voice mentions "the water wars."

In the original Mad Max, the setting doesn't look like our elaborate dystopias of today with everyone wearing tattered yet fashionable knits and dictators living in luxury amidst the general squalor. It's mostly like the Wild West reborn in Australia. Lawmen play judge, jury, and executioner, and small-town folk keep to themselves, trying to get by while defending against invading gangs (just replace men on horseback with men on motor bikes). Infrastructure is crumbling and some sort of energy crisis has forced everyone into a competition for resources, hence all the raiding parties. But people still wear proper clothes and can go home and wash their hands, so it hasn't all gone to hell just yet.

By Road Warrior, five years after the events of the first movie, everything has gotten considerably worse. Towns have disappeared and society consists of isolated collectives scrounging for fuel and water. Humanity has divided into three types of people: marauders, people living in small groups just trying to get by, and solo wanderers like Max. There are no more bars or ice cream shops like in Mad Max, and the clothing, cars, and homes all look like they've been salvaged from some sort of wreckage. If humanity is to carry on, we seem to have lost all hope of looking like the first world ever again.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/mad-max-faq/

Ron3
10-02-18, 23:10
ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MAD MAX UNIVERSE

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/mad-max-faq/

Thanks!

It also linked to interviews with George Miller. It helped explain why the 2015 Mad Max was so terrible.

Miller had no script! He didn't really have a story! He had a series of scenes and stunts. No joke. It was basically a series of comic strips panels. Like a "Garfield" book.

He imagined scenes he thought would look cool. The story and characters were simply not very important. He achieved his goal. Neat visuals and loud noises. Just like the later Transformer movies. That's why it was a stinker. Thankfully I didn't pay to see it. Some buddies had gone and told me not to bother. Saw it much later at home.

Moose-Knuckle
10-03-18, 11:17
Thanks!

It also linked to interviews with George Miller. It helped explain why the 2015 Mad Max was so terrible.

Miller had no script! He didn't really have a story! He had a series of scenes and stunts. No joke. It was basically a series of comic strips panels. Like a "Garfield" book.

He imagined scenes he thought would look cool. The story and characters were simply not very important. He achieved his goal. Neat visuals and loud noises. Just like the later Transformer movies. That's why it was a stinker. Thankfully I didn't pay to see it. Some buddies had gone and told me not to bother. Saw it much later at home.

Your welcome, I'm a big fan of the franchise and was hooked the first time I saw The Road Warrior when I was a kid.

I loved Fury Road, I get it that most did not. It's honestly what George Miller does best and he put Australia on the film makers map with his creation.

sundance435
10-03-18, 14:47
He imagined scenes he thought would look cool. The story and characters were simply not very important. He achieved his goal.

Part of the reason I loved it - it didn't force all of the stereotypical Hollywood tropes into the script. It's just intense from start to finish.

Ron3
10-04-18, 07:14
Part of the reason I loved it - it didn't force all of the stereotypical Hollywood tropes into the script. It's just intense from start to finish.

I like action but I'm more engrossed in a film with deeper characters and story included.

I also didn't care for the many things that reminded me of "Water World". Mainly, the explicit wastefullness of water, manpower, bullets, etc. It contradicts the setting of the film. (Things are scarce, people spend most of their time with basic survival issues, not polishing thousands of chrome spikes and building stacks of amps)

Moose-Knuckle
10-04-18, 12:43
I also didn't care for the many things that reminded me of "Water World". Mainly, the explicit wastefullness of water, manpower, bullets, etc. It contradicts the setting of the film. (Things are scarce, people spend most of their time with basic survival issues, not polishing thousands of chrome spikes and building stacks of amps)

George Miller said in an interview that all because that civilization ended human artistry would not. He was big on showing post-civilization "art" in Fury Road as it was long enough after the collapse that people started banning together to form basic societies; The Citadel (sitting atop an aquifer), Bullet Farm (built on top of an abandoned lead mine), and Gas Town. All three of these places and their leaders were allies that supplied each other with their respective products; water, ammo, and refined gasoline.

duece71
10-04-18, 23:35
Great movie series....Thunderdome...meh, ok. I thought “Ziggy” was part of the MFP with his leather jacket. Local sheriff seems much more plausible. I wish there had been a little more on the Night Rider....that dude was “whacked right out of his skull”. There is not much on the actor (Vince Gil) that played him except a lot of Aussie TV roles. Fuel injected suicide machine.

pinzgauer
10-04-18, 23:51
When the original was made Oz was having some very violent rural attacks by gangs. The farm scene was the "home invasion" of the day, would have been fresh and relevant to Aussies when the movie was 1st released.

There are other Oz movies covering similar home/farm invasions that made no sense to us. It still comes up in Aussie movies.

So I interpreted the MM backstory to be an extension of that lawlessness, made worse by world unrest and fuel shortages. (Also familiar to anyone alive in the early 70s)

Clearly had not been nuclear holacost down under.

Moose-Knuckle
10-05-18, 13:11
When the original was made Oz was having some very violent rural attacks by gangs. The farm scene was the "home invasion" of the day, would have been fresh and relevant to Aussies when the movie was 1st released.

There are other Oz movies covering similar home/farm invasions that made no sense to us. It still comes up in Aussie movies.

I always liked Fortress (1985) as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FAB_mM5ttU

Doc Safari
10-05-18, 13:14
Great movie series....Thunderdome...meh, ok.

I always thought Thunderdome was nothing more than an encore to please the fans that loved Road Warrior. The chase at the end was too uncomfortably based on the chase from RW, and the movie even resurrected a "cleaned up" version of the gyro captain in the homemade-plane flying character. Same actor to boot. They even went so far as to make sure this character had perfect teeth as a nod to the fact that the gyro captain in RW had nasty teeth.

They made Thunderdome strictly for the money IMHO.