PDA

View Full Version : USSOCOM Selects Nightforce For Squad-Variable Powered Scopes

Boba Fett v2
10-01-18, 23:25
:secret::ph34r:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/01/ussocom-selects-nightforce-for-squad-variable-powered-scopes-first-focal-plane-contract-worth-up-to-21-million/

Late last year, Naval Special Warfare Center – Crane, working as the weapons procurement arm of the United States Special Operations Command, released a solicitation to industry for Squad-Variable Power Scopes to be used on M4 carbines to to 600m.

The plan was to buy First Focal Plane Scopes and other associated items as a 100% set-aside for small business, while a Second Focal Plane Scope and other associated gear would be full and open competition.

Today, they announced the First Focal Plane contract, awarding a little over $15 Million initially to Nightforce. Ultimately, the contract could be worth as much as $21 Million.
The Optic is the ATACR (Advanced Tactical Rifle) 1-8x. It is similar to the commercial variant except that it will be in FDE and utilize a custom BDC reticle specified by USSOCOM.

Furbyballer
10-02-18, 05:24
Makes sense. It's the best lpvo on the market right now and it was purpose built to win that contract.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sidewaysil80
10-02-18, 05:42
Have they announced the Eotech replacement yet? I remember last year or so they solicited all they major red dots and thought for sure we would see that before the LPVO. Great job Nightforce! Between the recent USMC contract and this they are on a roll!

brushy bill
10-02-18, 07:24
Have they announced the Eotech replacement yet?

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/

RAM Engineer
10-02-18, 08:47
Have they announced the Eotech replacement yet? I remember last year or so they solicited all they major red dots and thought for sure we would see that before the LPVO. Great job Nightforce! Between the recent USMC contract and this they are on a roll!

LOL! We did see it before the LPVO. It was announced that Eotech won a few days ago.

Boba Fett v2
10-02-18, 09:08

That was soooo two days ago. Keep up. ;)

patriot_man
10-02-18, 14:23
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29/ussocom-replaces-eotech-sights-with-eotech-sights/

I wonder what model it is... A part of me says it's probably the EXPS3-0 with the updated and improved internals but another part of me is thinking that it's a new model that is being withheld so that it can be revealed at SHOT 2019 lol.

kukworld
10-02-18, 14:49
What rifle they gonna pair the scope with? 600m on m4 seems stretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mack7.62
10-02-18, 18:19
What rifle they gonna pair the scope with? 600m on m4 seems stretch

"Late last year, Naval Special Warfare Center – Crane, working as the weapons procurement arm of the United States Special Operations Command, released a solicitation to industry for Squad-Variable Power Scopes to be used on M4 carbines to to 600m."

URG-1 I suspect.

dramabeats
10-03-18, 23:03
I anticipate Vortex will win the second focal plane contract.

Wake27
10-04-18, 01:09

Rumor from someone in the community is that it actually went to Sig, but that’s from TOS so who knows.

Pappabear
10-04-18, 01:48
That's such good news for NF, I buy their stuff because it's mostly bullet proof. I just bought their ATACR 5-25 F1 and I so desperately want their 1-8. Good stuff.

longshot2000
10-04-18, 10:58

That is what suspect as well. We are stocking up on both as demand is high, and they are good scopes. Some have said that the ATACR would have won hands down if Nightforce had adopted a SPP, which is really more appropriate, IMHO, for CQB rifle optics.

drtywk
10-04-18, 19:42

Sig won the SFP optic contract, but the official award has not been announced yet.

Zane1844
10-05-18, 11:23
Currently saving for an ATACR. I wonder what the new reticle will look like.

JoshNC
10-06-18, 10:10
Great news for NF and for our war fighters. The ATACR 1-8 is a phenomenal optic, best in class IMO. Glad our guys are getting the best.

gamewarden
10-06-18, 21:21
Sig won the SFP optic contract, but the official award has not been announced yet.

Are you referring to this big Army contract?
https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-tango6-1-6x24-riflescope-selected-us-army-squad-designated-marksman-rifle/

RAM Engineer
10-10-18, 21:09
Are you referring to this big Army contract?
https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-tango6-1-6x24-riflescope-selected-us-army-squad-designated-marksman-rifle/

It’s now official. SIG won both the USSOCOM second focal plane contract AND the Army DMR optic contract, both with the Tango6 1-6.

drtywk
10-10-18, 22:03
It’s now official. SIG won both the USSOCOM second focal plane contract AND the Army DMR optic contract, both with the Tango6 1-6.

The contract optic and mount will both be commercially available as well. The red dot in the BDC reticle has a lockout feature between the settings which is pretty cool.

gamewarden
10-10-18, 22:45
http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/11/ussocom-selects-sig-sauer-to-provide-squad-variable-powered-scopes-second-focal-plane/

sidewaysil80
10-10-18, 23:03

Ewww.

-Not daylight bright (commercial models aren't but allegedly components are same)
-Unproven design
-Company has only been selling optics for what, 2-3 years? And none of those were produced by them, just rebranded.
-Field of view/eye box is pretty shitty, especially compared to Razor 1-6 which is currently being fielded/used

I'd REALLY like to know why Sig is getting so many contracts recently.

mack7.62
10-11-18, 08:34
Ewww.

Follow the money, what former decision makers now work for SIG and which current ones soon will.

ZoneOne
10-11-18, 12:51
The contract optic and mount will both be commercially available as well. The red dot in the BDC reticle has a lockout feature between the settings which is pretty cool.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to a LPVO... but what is a red dot lockout feature?

drtywk
10-11-18, 13:38
The optic will allow you to use only the red dot and not the entire reticle.

mack7.62
10-11-18, 13:53
The optic will allow you to use only the red dot and not the entire reticle.

How does that work with an etched reticle? Does the Tango 6 have an etched reticle?

drtywk
10-11-18, 14:01
Ewww.

Price. The biggest reason they won the M17/18 contract was price. So more than likely, they were awarded these two second focal plane optics contracts based on price, however, Sig has been doing a good job of making exactly what their .mil customers want, so there is that as well. Keep in mind that this optic and mount combo will be fielded as part of the SOCOM SDMR rifle system and this also plays a big role in field support, sustainment, and follow on contracts.

drtywk
10-11-18, 14:03
How does that work with an etched reticle? Does the Tango 6 have an etched reticle?

This is not a 1 for 1 Tango6, it is a variant of the Tango6, so there are some features on it that aren't on the current commercial offerings.

ZoneOne
10-11-18, 15:04
This is not a 1 for 1 Tango6, it is a variant of the Tango6, so there are some features on it that aren't on the current commercial offerings.

According to SIG, it will be released to the commercial market. When, is anyones guess. I'm more interested in the color and mount combo than the grey color they currently offer.

sidewaysil80
10-11-18, 15:38

It’s being reported that the only difference aside from aesthetics is final assemblt takes place in the US. If that’s accurate then feature/performance would be the same.

Also, Sig assembling the optic isn’t really a selling point for me considering they’ve never manufactured an optic before, they simply rebrand from others.

prdubi
10-11-18, 15:43
It’s being reported that the only difference aside from aesthetics is final assemblt takes place in the US.Oregon.....wilsonville..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RAM Engineer
10-11-18, 15:55
It’s being reported that the only difference aside from aesthetics is final assemblt takes place in the US. If that’s accurate then feature/performance would be the same.

Also, Sig assembling the optic isn’t really a selling point for me considering they’ve never manufactured an optic before, they simply rebrand from others.

Sig has hired folks away from Leupold. Probably the overachievers tired of Leupold’s stodginess and lack of responsiveness to market/customer wants.

gamewarden
12-02-18, 15:42
Does Nightforce own ATN or am I missing something...?
Just a troll. Joined October 2018, 3 posts...