PDA

View Full Version : new 6920 with ?s

stronghold
10-30-08, 18:25
greetings ot the board. i'm a newbie to the ar platform and will be picking up my colt 6920 in a day or so. it'll be an all around rifle for range and target use, plinking, home defense and tactical classes.

are there any limitations to the 6920? using other uppers down the road? i'm used to aks, so what can i expect as far as round count before i need to replace major parts? bolt, bbl, etc.

i've been reading the tech knowledge based threads and trying to find as much info as possible. any other help or suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

JBnTX
10-30-08, 18:43
.... so what can i expect as far as round count before i need to replace major parts? bolt, bbl, etc.....

Shoot the living crap out of it.

You'll run out of money for ammo long before you break any
parts.

It's far tougher than you can imagine.

RogerinTPA
10-30-08, 19:18
Ditto, just make sure you lube well, then shoot the piss out of it. I'd get a Bravo Company Full Auto BCG as a spare and stock up on the mags (Pmags or teflon coated GI from DSG Arms http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?currentpage=1&fuseaction=category.display&category_id=25 with the Magpul enhanced followers, 10 for $100.00 bucks) before the swearing in of the new POTUS at the end of January. I did notice that the Black and Gray Teflon ones are now sold out but the FDE ones are still available.;) Check the site often. They sell out quick!

stronghold
10-30-08, 21:46
thanks for the mag link. i'll be putting an order in for mags and ammo very shortly. will there be any issues using a more long range target oriented upper down the road?

TOrrock
10-30-08, 21:57
thanks for the mag link. i'll be putting an order in for mags and ammo very shortly. will there be any issues using a more long range target oriented upper down the road?

For the average trigger puller, you can do far, far, far worse than a 6920. Great choice!

As far as longer distance shooting, with the proper optic, you won't be limited all that much.

My younger sister, who has no formal training, would nail the hell out of silhouette targets with a 6920 and a 1.5x Compact ACOG.

stronghold
11-01-08, 20:22
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/rovingowl/DSC00570.jpg

picked up my 6920 last night. headed to the range tomorrow to zero. i must admit, i was a bit leary about the price with this being my first ar, but the more i read, the more i feel i made the right decision. still have to get an order in for mags but it seems there aren't any grey teflon w/ magpul followers to be had right now. i saw the FDEs, but i read that they have issues being drop free due to the rougher finish?

still reading and learning.

maxell27
11-01-08, 22:27
Great choice in the 6920.

Yes it is expensive but it is the gold standard of M4's.

Congrats.

Max