PDA

View Full Version : Observations from bringing the 1911 out, for the 1st time, in a long time

FlyingHunter
10-04-18, 18:54
I grew up on 1911's. It was my first "real" handgun. I read everything about John Browning and studied Jeff Cooper. I've CCW'd with a full size and Commander length for many years and if fact had to clear leather (remember leather) once in a defensive circumstance. I competed with IPSC and even took a Mountain Lion while on a guided hunt with my faithful 1911.

Then Glocks came around. I adopted early and have been shooting them (mostly G19's) ever since. It's been years since I've shot my .45 custom 1911 Commander, until today.

General Observations:
1. The natural point of aim and grip design are perfect - even after 100+ years.
2. My .45 is snappier than I remember, Hmm, been shooting 9mm a long time.
3. The front sight is invisible, My eyes converted to RDS probably 5 years ago.
4. I unintentionally engaged my thumb safety twice during shooting, didn't use to happen that way...perhaps my Glockified grasp.
5. The nostalgia is a strong pull. I enjoyed the fun today.

BuzzinSATX
10-04-18, 19:58
Sounds like a great time shooting! Always cool to go back to shooting the guns we’d neglected for whatever reason. I love running a lever rifle from time to time.

Uni-Vibe
10-04-18, 20:29
2. My .45 is snappier than I remember, Hmm, been shooting 9mm a long time.

Couple of times, I've shot my new 10mm 1911 with full house handloads. Then I picked up my .45. Felt like shooting jelly beans after the 10mm.

pinzgauer
10-04-18, 22:24
Picked up a used LW commander after 15 years w/o one. What a joy to shoot. Maybe its nostalgia, but the ergos are comfortable and natural.

And if I had to shoot a match head for money at 10 yards, 1st shot, it's what I'd pick up. First 2-3 shots are dead on, then I expand out. But always fun to have a dead center nickle/quarter sized group starting cold.

As to 10mm, I find the "roll" of 45s 230g more noticeable than the palm sting of hot 10mm. But I tend toward 150-165g 10mm loadings.

The_War_Wagon
10-05-18, 06:23
Glad the ol' gal could bring you back from the dark side. :cool:

Doc Safari
10-05-18, 09:42
SHUT UP...SHUT UP...SHUT UP....SHUT UP!

I had cured myself of 1911 addiction. Crisp, light trigger, perfect ergos, recoil that's more of a push than a thump. Beautiful all-metal guns, not fantastic plastic. Gorgeous wood grips. Shooting one-hole groups. And the caliber begins with a number FOUR.

Kenneth
10-05-18, 10:18
I have a CZ Shadow 9mm full size and just happened to barrow and Dan Wesson commander in .45.

While running plate racks the .45 was surprisingly fast. It felt like it just returned to POA faster then my Shadow.

Will be getting a Dan Wesson soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

militarymoron
10-05-18, 10:57
I recently did the same thing after letting my 1911s sit idle in the safe for a few years. My first handgun in 1985 was a Colt Officer's Model. Over the past three decades, I bought more 1911s but eventually found myself shooting 9mm more. Up until this year, I had shot my Glocks almost exclusively.

So, this year, I decided to take out a couple of my 1911s. As expected, the recoil felt harsher that I remember since I've been shooting 9mm for so long now. I decided that shooting more .45 would make me a better 9mm shooter, especially with recoil management. I also dusted off my old Glock 24C in .40, which is still quite snappy compared to the 9's. The past few months have helped me get better at shooting the 1911s, and in turn my 9's. My 'felt recoil meter' has been re-calibrated, and I'm happy that my 1911's are getting trigger time.

A couple of observations of my own after pulling out the 1911s:
1. The black front sights are harder to see now that I'm older, as I'm used to hi-vis front sights like the trijicon HD XR on my Glocks.
2. Fully loaded 1911s are HEAVY
3. I should have bought more 185gr ammo instead of 230gr. 185gr ammo in my P14.45 makes it feel almost like a 9mm.

markm
10-05-18, 11:51
I love to sling a few with the 1911. Everyone should own one.. but it's like a classic car. A pleasure to have and drive, but not a good daily driver.

Norseman
10-05-18, 12:48
Yup, it is stupid how this gets under one's skin, isn't it.

Like others stated, I grew up on 1911's and revolvers. The first one I shot was my grandfather's Colt he brought back from WWII. That was the mid 70's time frame.

About the mid 90's i decided to dip my toe into the Glock pool, and by the 2000's I was shooting nothing but Glock's and stayed that way for well over a decade. Then I got bit and it looks terminal.

There absolutely more practical sidearms in today's world, no arguments there. But for me, The 1911 scratches an itch that others can't. Nostalgia is pretty frowned upon in today's world for some reason, but I am to the point that I don't really care. If 1911's keep me interested enough to keep shooting and learning, then so be it, fate accepted.

BigDog
10-05-18, 16:53
I learned to shoot on a 1911, and still have that first one, a first-gen AMT Hardballer, one of the good Harry Sanford ones. Now I have a couple Springfields, two Kimbers, and a custom-built CCO. Love ‘em all!

FlyingHunter
10-05-18, 19:47
I love to sling a few with the 1911. Everyone should own one.. but it's like a classic car. A pleasure to have and drive, but not a good daily driver.

I believe this will be my conclusion. I have this little voice however...whispering...but you've never shot a 9mm 1911.

FlyingHunter
10-05-18, 19:49
There absolutely more practical sidearms in today's world, no arguments there. But for me, The 1911 scratches an itch that others can't. Nostalgia is pretty frowned upon in today's world for some reason, but I am to the point that I don't really care. If 1911's keep me interested enough to keep shooting and learning, then so be it, fate accepted.

I so understand where you are coming from.

T2C
10-05-18, 20:38

For most people there are better carry options than a 1911. El Presidente drills with a Glock 17 yield scores around the 5,500 - 5,800 mark. Sometimes I can hit 6,000, but not too often. A mediocre run with my 1911 and 230 grain ball runs 5,500 and frequently posted scores are at or over the 6,000 mark. You can't argue with the timer and I carry some form of a 1911 and leave the Glock 19 in the safe. Two of the old goats I meet for coffee during the week carry K Frames and they are incredibly proficient with them. They can't understand why I carry a semi-automatic.

I cut my teeth on the 1911 in the 1970's and I love them. It must be a generational thing.

MountainRaven
10-06-18, 00:54
For most people there are better carry options than a 1911. El Presidente drills with a Glock 17 yield scores around the 5,500 - 5,800 mark. Sometimes I can hit 6,000, but not too often. A mediocre run with my 1911 and 230 grain ball runs 5,500 and frequently posted scores are at or over the 6,000 mark. You can't argue with the timer and I carry some form of a 1911 and leave the Glock 19 in the safe. Two of the old goats I meet for coffee during the week carry K Frames and they are incredibly proficient with them. They can't understand why I carry a semi-automatic.

I cut my teeth on the 1911 in the 1970's and I love them. It must be a generational thing.

I'm millennial and carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2 or 1AT almost daily - once in a while, I'll carry a plastic wonder nine for a month or so, but I always come back to the 1911. But I grew up reading Cooper and Hackathorn and Clint Smith and got into real guns at the same time MARSOC was becoming a thing and buying I-CQBs and other, "MEUSOC,"-type pistols and my first handgun was a 1911 (a Kimber Desert Warrior, which I put black, original Simonich Gunner grips on, back when Hilton Yam still recommended the basic Kimber Warrior).

If I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911.

The_War_Wagon
10-06-18, 08:19

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/docfather_zpsfqbn9ioz.jpg :jester:

10-06-18, 09:12
I guess it depends on what you think practical is.

As a small framed guy who only carries concealed in very low risk areas, a doublestack pistol is very impractical.

I carry a lightweight Government 1911 in 9mm and it just marginally less comfortable and concealable than a Glock 43.

gaijin
10-06-18, 09:49
I picked up a pair of alloy frame, 9mm 1911's this Spring as carry guns. Have a 5" and "Commander" length.
Never owned a Glock or similar, but carried P-35's for years. I find the Alloy 1911's carry better for me.
Made some lightweight mods; arched/short, trigger work, springs FBFPS-done.
Both shoot 124+P HST <2" at 25 yds. I'm comfortable with either.

"Commander"
https://i.imgur.com/vou1nKg.jpg?1

5"
https://i.imgur.com/HTRA8qb.jpg?1

25 yd./5 rds./"Commander"/benched-dial in.
https://i.imgur.com/dmPkgVe.jpg

militarymoron
10-06-18, 17:27
my first handgun was a 1911 (a Kimber Desert Warrior, which I put black, original Simonich Gunner grips on, back when Hilton Yam still recommended the basic Kimber Warrior).

I was shopping for another 1911 back in 2005 when I also heeded Hilton's recommendation and bought a Kimber Warrior which I put desert tan Simonich Gunner grips on. The only thing I wished it had was a checkered front strap like the newer model (hence the skateboard tape). I think Hilton didn't recommend it later on and wrote about issues with it. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Uni-Vibe
10-06-18, 22:13
U-Vibe carried a compact 1911 on the streets of Big City for 20 years. Now I'm carrying a Ruger SR9. You can't beat the increased capacity. But plastic and industrial-coated steel just can't compare to a good version of Browning's masterwork. The SR9 is a tool, no more. The 1911 is a work of genius.

MountainRaven
10-06-18, 23:46
I was shopping for another 1911 back in 2005 when I also heeded Hilton's recommendation and bought a Kimber Warrior which I put desert tan Simonich Gunner grips on. The only thing I wished it had was a checkered front strap like the newer model (hence the skateboard tape). I think Hilton didn't recommend it later on and wrote about issues with it. I haven't had any issues with mine.

I've had a few, now, and never had an issue with any of them that I shot. The last one I bought I never shot before I flipped it, and the guy I sold it to had the problems that Yam documented.

RetroRevolver77
10-07-18, 15:27
deleted

bamashooter
10-07-18, 17:49
Have multiple 1911s. Less than 20. Perhaps a high of a few more 4-5 years ago. Had a new one that wouldn't extract properly. That was due to a recoil spring of all things. Had one that shot around corners due to a bent front sight. Other than that, they all run fine. Don't know if I have a favorite. Sure have a warm and fuzzy for my old Norinco though. By far the nicest is my Valor. IMO, my Colt was way overpriced but that's what it was bring then when I wanted one. I trust them all.

Had a couple of P220s decades ago when I worked. Really liked them. Had a Glock 19 shortly after the plant opened in Georgia. Believe it was a Gen 2 and the only firearm I wish I hadn't sold.

When I carry, I always carry a 1911; mostly an Officer-sized. If I venture out to where I anticipate potential distance (for a sustained time), I take a 5". I call it "Luby's" carry.

Norseman
10-08-18, 15:04
[QUOTE= ....... If I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911.[/QUOTE]

I am fast approaching this same conclusion.

Somewhere along the lines I crossed over the "less is more" threshold, and have been acutely focused on quality over quantity. I have already culled the long gun heard down to fit this criteria, the handguns will be, more than likely, the next step.

Gunsnguitars
10-14-18, 22:41
For me, there is nothing else like a 1911. There are 1911's, and then everything else. The BHP is a close second, and I also love a nice wheel gun. Due to my usual everyday routine I don't carry 1911's as much as I would like, but they will always be my favorite.

Norseman
10-24-18, 11:37
I picked up a pair of alloy frame, 9mm 1911's this Spring as carry guns. Have a 5" and "Commander" length.
Never owned a Glock or similar, but carried P-35's for years. I find the Alloy 1911's carry better for me.
Made some lightweight mods; arched/short, trigger work, springs FBFPS-done.
Both shoot 124+P HST <2" at 25 yds. I'm comfortable with either.

"Commander"
https://i.imgur.com/vou1nKg.jpg?1

5"
https://i.imgur.com/HTRA8qb.jpg?1

25 yd./5 rds./"Commander"/benched-dial in.
https://i.imgur.com/dmPkgVe.jpg

Handled on of these Commanders a couple of days ago at LGS, and damn if they aren't a nice gun for the money. Got my wheels turning for sure.

gaijin
10-24-18, 17:12
Being a 1911 snob, I was surprised at the quality of parts (EGW/bar stock), fit/finish and attention to detail.

I thought they were a good value.

Ned Christiansen
10-24-18, 17:50
Well, to all you guys who still, in the year 2018, can't help but bubble over about how great the 1911 is, I can only say.....

Yer right.

Doc Safari
10-24-18, 17:54
Well, to all you guys who still, in the year 2018, can't help but bubble over about how great the 1911 is, I can only say.....

Yer right.

So let's address some "issues" here, shall we?

My dad hated the gun. He of course dealt mainly with worn out World War II examples, but he couldn't resist any opportunity to say:

1. Rattles like an old pickup truck
2. At least if you throw it you can probably hit something with it
3. Won't feed anything but ball ammo
4. Each one should be shipped with a complimentary gunsmith to keep it running.

These are exaggerations, I know, but I keep chanting these to keep me from wanting one after not having owned one for ten years.

Norseman
10-24-18, 18:29

Yer right.

Amen.

But lets not speak to loudly about this, it might catch on. I am kinda fond of finding good deals on old tech.

trvsAR
10-24-18, 18:55
the 1911 is my favorite handgun period, its the best to shoot and by far best looking (berretta 92 not far behing)....... but id rather carry a glock personally

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
10-26-18, 12:48
Yeah, it is not flat out the best gun for every application, same as all the others. Many departments across the country continue to authorize it and at least two in the Chicago area issue it. They do so successfully but they have long experience at it and trained people to keep an eye on them. Like, well, like most departments do for their Glocks and AR15's, it only makes sense.

There are some strikes against it for general issue. If I were to be tasked with equipping a department with handguns I would not pick the 1911, but for gun people, LE or not, who will commit to having a certain level of knowledge and diligence, and are at a level of proficiency where they can benefit from the things it does better, well, that's where it belongs. Not to say a person "should have certain qualities" to own one, just saying for real-deal daily use, it's advisable to have a deeper understanding of it.

Doc Safari
10-26-18, 13:22
Yeah, it is not flat out the best gun for every application, same as all the others. Many departments across the country continue to authorize it and at least two in the Chicago area issue it. They do so successfully but they have long experience at it and trained people to keep an eye on them. Like, well, like most departments do for their Glocks and AR15's, it only makes sense.

There are some strikes against it for general issue. If I were to be tasked with equipping a department with handguns I would not pick the 1911, but for gun people, LE or not, who will commit to having a certain level of knowledge and diligence, and are at a level of proficiency where they can benefit from the things it does better, well, that's where it belongs. Not to say a person "should have certain qualities" to own one, just saying for real-deal daily use, it's advisable to have a deeper understanding of it.

Thanks for that. I was beginning to lust after one again.

Truth is: I shoot that damn handgun better than any. I constantly have to practice my "Glock" trigger. I use the slack as kind of a pseudo two-stage trigger and pause just before the break to get my sights aligned one more time. Every 1911 I've ever owned has been the easiest firearm to aim and shoot well.

Dang. There I go. Maybe I gotta have another two or three of 'em.

Norseman
10-26-18, 13:54
Here in the southwest it is still somewhat common to see 1911's on duty, but just not as prominent as it used to be. The ones you do see are pretty easily recognizable as being of the "old guard" so to speak and have many years behind those guns. Also have a couple of Fed buddies, that once they pulled the retirement pin, went over to carrying 1911's/j-frames for pretty much everything.

But with that being said, if I was going to go back to strapping a Sam Brown on everyday (not likely) the 1911 would not be my first or even second choice for reasons that are pretty obvious, at least to my way of thinking. Right tool for the right job at the right time and all that.

99% of what I use my firearms for these days is pure shooting enjoyment and general fussing over. The 1911 fits that bill pretty well while still being a viable (for me and my lifestyle) defense/carry gun should I choose, which I often do.

Norseman
10-26-18, 14:04
Thanks for that. I was beginning to lust after one again.

Truth is: I shoot that damn handgun better than any. I constantly have to practice my "Glock" trigger. I use the slack as kind of a pseudo two-stage trigger and pause just before the break to get my sights aligned one more time. Every 1911 I've ever owned has been the easiest firearm to aim and shoot well.

Dang. There I go. Maybe I gotta have another two or three of 'em.

Not trying to be an enabler, but...........

Sometimes easy is good.

Ned Christiansen
10-26-18, 14:19
Doc, the last thing I wanted was to talk you out of another 1911..... if you don't get one, no one here is going to say they think less of you.... :-)

Kenneth
10-26-18, 18:32
I really want a Discretion commander but I can’t find a company who make a good looking thread on comp to run when. It playing with my suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunker
10-26-18, 22:10
For the 1911 fans. This always cracked me up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181027/2e75444a013dba994bce97000ecdd0b9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
10-27-18, 00:05
For the 1911 fans. This always cracked me up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181027/2e75444a013dba994bce97000ecdd0b9.jpg

When was the last time you had an unreliable stick?

FlyingHunter
10-27-18, 18:49
When was the last time you had an unreliable stick?

Ask Pfizer

MountainRaven
10-27-18, 19:52
Ask Pfizer

I don't think Pfizer would admit to chapstick not working as intended, assuming that's what you're referencing.

ubet
10-29-18, 00:11
Can't stand modern wonder Tupperware. 1911s don't take much to keep running, keeping them clean, oiled, replacing recoil, firing pin springs every 2500 rounds, and main recoil every 10k and don't buy crappy ones. They just fit me, I don't own a wonder 9. Ccw a full size 1911 45acp and wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RetroRevolver77
11-11-18, 13:09
deleted

BoxySatch
11-11-18, 13:50
I just took out my 1911 last week and shot standards from Tom Givens intensive pistol class. Every thing went well over all. I notices shots were more accurate but split times were a little longer as well as reloads. This piece is a base Springfield mil spec worked up by me with reliability polishing, beaver tail, fire control, ambi-thumb safety, sights, slight melting of edges, etc. Had it Cerekoted by third party as I do not have space in Garage.

Uni-Vibe
11-11-18, 18:53
Can't stand modern wonder Tupperware. 1911s don't take much to keep running, keeping them clean, oiled, replacing recoil, firing pin springs every 2500 rounds, and main recoil every 10k and don't buy crappy ones. They just fit me, I don't own a wonder 9. Ccw a full size 1911 45acp and wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know. No modern plastic can compete with forged-billet, machined-steel products of John Moses Browning's genius. But . . .

I just made the switch after 20 years of CCW with a 1911.

I had 8 in the gun and 7 in the spare.

Now I have 18 in the gun and 17 in the spare.

35 > 15 in the big city.

But the 1911s still rule at the range.

11-11-18, 19:58
There's still plenty of 1911s at work in the big cities. If you know the guys that don't wear uniforms you see a LOT of 1911s down here by the border.

RHINOWSO
11-13-18, 07:49
My Colt 1911 comes out once or twice a year in the fall for maybe 50-100s per range session - nothing much done to it other than a light trigger job, metal MSH, some Colt emblem wood grips, and some Gov't Surplus CMP mags I scored a couple of years ago still in the packaging.

It's a great pistol but I bought it for fun and the American History in the weapon. I've thought about carrying one but plastic-fantastics are it for me.

I don't bust on anyone for what they carry as long as it's reliable and works for them. People are far better off with a weapon they know and shoot well.

hopetonbrown
11-16-18, 02:53
For the OP, place your thumb on the safety while shooting. Not only will this stop you from inadvertently engaging the safety, it also will allow you to control recoil better with a higher purchase on the grip.

1986s4
11-25-18, 11:28
I bought a Colt .38 Super Auto in late 2012 because reasons.. I always wanted a .38 super and I got a good deal. Originally thought it would be a range toy but it just grew on me. 3 x 2000 round no new lube, no cleaning tests later and it is a viable defensive tool. In fact after the last one I didn't even clean it, just reapplied some oil in the right places and it cycles just fine.
Never broken a part, a blown case head damaged a magazine follower but both are back in service. I've had a Wilson flatwire spring in it for over a year and the same shokbuff it came with. Both are doing fine, I'm running a destructive test on the shokbuff.. Extractor and fire control parts are stock with the exception of a Harrison thumb safety.

I've carried it but I would rather carry my Beretta 92c or Smith M13 3"

With the exception of lube I have pointedly not maintained it. I run my M9, AR 15 and Colt wet.

Norseman
11-27-18, 12:17
I bought a Colt .38 Super Auto in late 2012 because reasons.. I always wanted a .38 super and I got a good deal. Originally thought it would be a range toy but it just grew on me. 3 x 2000 round no new lube, no cleaning tests later and it is a viable defensive tool. In fact after the last one I didn't even clean it, just reapplied some oil in the right places and it cycles just fine.
Never broken a part, a blown case head damaged a magazine follower but both are back in service. I've had a Wilson flatwire spring in it for over a year and the same shokbuff it came with. Both are doing fine, I'm running a destructive test on the shokbuff.. Extractor and fire control parts are stock with the exception of a Harrison thumb safety.

I've carried it but I would rather carry my Beretta 92c or Smith M13 3"

With the exception of lube I have pointedly not maintained it. I run my M9, AR 15 and Colt wet.

This has been my experience as well. As long as they are lubed well, my 1911's have run as well as anything else I own.

OttoLoader
11-30-18, 23:52
I bought a SA stainless loaded manuf 2014 and purchased new. This particular pistol has been 100% reliable never any mis feed extraction or firing problems. About 800 rounds through it.
So I like shooting this one, and would be very confident carrying it.

Actual carry is a Glock 26 gen 3. This fits my hand just right and has been totally reliable too. Total round 2000 but lost count. Still using same recoil spring but may change it soon.

Main reason for the Glock in CC is weight and round count.

cashooter
12-31-18, 00:12

This.

awmp
01-20-19, 09:10
I can't tell you how many arguments I have had about whether to carry a 1911 or polymer pistol.

Background creates bias, was taught to shoot a pistol (12 years old) by one of Dad's very good friends, Texas Ranger and of course was a 1911, full size, 45acp.

(polymer, really plastic) Capacity, lighter weight, thicker, cheaper, reliable, no soul.

(1911, Gods gun) Thinner, better trigger, less capacity, more expensive (I'm worth it), heavier, soul, a little more recoil in 45acp, but 9mm and 38 Supers are nice.

All have Trijicon HD yellow sights or brass bead front sights, all carry in Milt Sparks or TT Gunleather and all have thumb safeties. (same manual of arms, Sig P320/M17 Bravo with thumb safety for plastic pistol).

Carry what you like, carry often and practice/train a lot.

OldState
01-20-19, 09:33
My first two guns were both 1911s when I was 25 back in 2000. A full sized custom accurized model for NRA Bullseye (I wonder how many on this forum know what that is:p) and a Gen 1 Kimber compact.

I would try Glocks and other handguns and always hated them in comparison....especially Glocks.

Fast forward 10 years to when I started shooting IDPA. On two instances in one season I failed to depress the grip safety on my compact. I had finally experienced this issue and it terrified me. Between that and trying to figure out the black magic involved in making a 4” gun cycle reliably with different ammo, I decided to make a move.

Wanting to stick with 45 (I reload and had a ton of brass, primers, bullets, etc) I went with a M&P full size 45 with an Apex FSS trigger and a thumb safety . 100 percent reliable and almost the same ergos. Actually the bore axis is lower and preferable. Also, the accuracy was equivalent to my stock Compact.

For me this setup is very very close to a 1911 and I would recommend it to anyone trying to ween themselves off the highly addictive 1911 platform. I have also moved to this set up in 9mm as well as a compact 9mm.

That said, very 6 months I start to look at a new full sized 1911! I have thus far resisted.

hotrodder636
01-20-19, 09:54
The first gun I owned (still do) was an Auto Ordnance 45–nothing fancy but it shoots. This was followed by a Ruger MK II. My third gun was a Springfield (don’t remember model) which I traded for a Kimber Eclipse Target II. I got the Kimber back in 01 or 02 and it has been very reliable. I have probably shot less than 200 rounds through it since 2005 but I still have it. Threads like this make me want to shoot the piss put of it and add another 1911 to my collection, like a Wilson or Nighthawk. But looking at how often I shoot my 1911s, I can’t justify one of the fancy ones.

Greenbean
02-01-19, 08:04
Can I ask for some directional advice:

I would like to get my first 1911 (variant) pistol. However it’s for me and my WW2 vet father-in-law to shoot.

So that being said, who makes the best WW2 era 1911 version (clone?)

I’m drawn to the Colt or the Springfield but just want to hear from those a lot smarter than me on the subject. I quick Google search revealed some companies I’ve never heard of and might want to avoid.

Budget needs to stay under 1K, and the gun won’t be modded at all, just something we can enjoy shooting together when we go to the range.

Thanks in advance gang!

1986s4
02-01-19, 08:39
If you're looking for a 1911 in the classic WW2 era pattern both Colt and Springfield makes close enough versions. Colt has it's series 70 line and SA has the Mil spec line. There are others of course but I only have experience with those two.

Greenbean
02-01-19, 08:50
If you're looking for a 1911 in the classic WW2 era pattern both Colt and Springfield makes close enough versions. Colt has it's series 70 line and SA has the Mil spec line. There are others of course but I only have experience with those two.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Of those two do you have a preference?

1986s4
02-01-19, 08:59
I like Colt but the SA has a great warranty. All have worked. Both my Springfield 1911's needed warranty work but SA did it no questions asked and rather quickly too. I would not hesitate to buy either depending on what features I valued.

Norseman
02-01-19, 11:23
The Springfield Mil-spec is kind of a sleeper in the 1911 game. A lot of bang for the buck and great warranty if needed.

Jermedic
02-01-19, 18:06
The Springfield Mil-spec is kind of a sleeper in the 1911 game. A lot of bang for the buck and great warranty if needed.

Agree with this. My mil spec is my second favorite 1911 to shoot after my Les Baer. Never had a problem with it (same can't be said for my Colt), and actually has a surprisingly smooth trigger and slide. I had a problem years ago with a Springfield TRP and can attest to Springfield having excellent customer service.

Uni-Vibe
02-01-19, 18:26

I picked up an almost-new one of these quite a while back. It's my range beater gun, saves me from high mileage on my pristine Series 80 Cold Mark IV.

Works just fine. Throw away the included cheezo magazine and buy Wilsons.

Greenbean
02-01-19, 18:44
Thanks for the quick reply,

Of those two do you have a preference?

I may have a preference to the SA only because I’ve always wanted a TRP.

As far as the differences between the Colt and the SA I guess it comes down to which would be a better gun to shoot with him, or which one would be the better representation of what he would’ve had serving back then in the army.

Sounds to me like the Springfield may be the better choice given if we have a warranty issue.

I haven’t had the chance yet to see what each manufactures warranty is. I’m hoping to dive into that this weekend.

I appreciate you folks helping me out and giving me a better direction, from what I found on gun broker so far the Springfield I think is going to be the cheaper alternative of the two.

However I have a feeling if I ask him about the 1911 that he shot in the army he’s probably going to tell me it was a Colt Lol...

Edit: Confirmed is was a Colt, hahaha

MAUSER202
02-02-19, 08:31
Gods bless him, a ww2 vet still alive is getting rarer by the day. My father passed 22 years ago and my step dad , both ww2 vets, is 99.
The Dan Wesson A2 is one you should consider too. Very well made with all steel internals, no MIM parts, and has better 3 dot sites for older eyes. The GI sites on the Colt and the Springer ( both good guns too) may be a challenge for him to see.

Greenbean
02-02-19, 10:45
Brothers I have to apologize, I am losing my marbles! He’s a Vietnam veteran not a WW2.

I appreciate the info about a gun that would not have MIM parts, the research continues but I’m looking to purchase before the end of March.

1986s4
02-02-19, 13:58
I'm no expert and I don't play one on TV but based on what I have read, MIM done right is nothing to fear in a new gun. Colt uses a MIM sear and disconnector and have a reputation of being good parts. Indeed, when I offered my gunsmith a chance to replace the Colt sear he declined and told me it wasn't necessary. My Colt has aprox. 10,000 rounds through it and zero broken parts. If something does break the best thing about a 1911 is the huge selection of replacement parts.

My late father was a WW2 vet and he carried a M1911 in the skies above France, Holland, Germany, etc. He finally bought himself a new Colt in 1968, it's mine now along with his Marbles knife.

02-02-19, 14:06
I had a bunch of Colt MIM parts for sale on the EE once and Pistolwrench bought 'em all.

Told me all I needed to know...

MAUSER202
02-02-19, 14:46
I had a bunch of Colt MIM parts for sale on the EE once and Pistolwrench bought 'em all.

Told me all I needed to know...

Don’t get me wrong , MIM parts work just like polymers do for pistol frames. I just think a classic like a1911 should have traditional tool steel parts.

1986s4
02-02-19, 14:52
Don’t get me wrong , MIM parts work just like polymers do for pistol frames. I just think a classic like a1911 should have traditional tool steel parts.

I hear you and given a choice toll steel is what I would want given that it's a quality made part. If and when something does break on my Colt [I don't baby it at all] I'll find a Wilson or something equivalent and have it installed. But for what I use my pistol for the MIM is doing just fine. Most of us will never wear out our pistols.

deputyG23
12-15-19, 20:14
I have two 5” steel .45s - a Colt 1911A1 with an Essex frame set up like a WW1 gun.
The other is a Clackamas Kimber that I bought from the estate of one of our retirees.
They are occasional range guns for me and are not carried.
Too many decades toting Smith K frames and Austrian Tupperware to trust myself with a thumb safety.
I also flinch worse with short travel triggers versus long ones.
If and when I ever retire from LE, I may give them the time to become proficient with them.

aloonda
12-18-19, 10:56
Pretty much my story also