PDA

View Full Version : Single Edge Polygonal Rifling

Skeeter98
10-08-18, 01:43
Has anyone heard of this? I came across this looking at Triarc's barrels. It sounds like it has the same benefits of 5r/ polygonal rifling. Basically, each land has a straight edge and then a smooth or polygonal edge . It like a mix between conventional and polygonal rifling. The benefits are it provides increased bullet accuracy, less deformation, less friction and a tighter gas seal with increased barrel life. I assume it would also have the benefit of less barrel fouling. The actual patent on this is fairly recent belonging to a guy with the last name of Feddersen who is a renowned competition shooter. Theoretically, does this offer a benefit over polygonal/5r rifling? This rifling setup seems really interesting and not too common.

MegademiC
10-08-18, 06:14
I would be shocked if people realized a benefit in an AR barrel.
Having never shot out an AR barrel, im curious how rifling extends barrel life.

Its an interesting concept, and would try it out, but I wouldnt pay much extra for it.

HelloLarry
10-08-18, 08:13
I'm surprised that is patentable. That's just a minor rehash of ratchet rifling that has been around since the 1800s. I doubt it has any advantage over ratchet rifling where the root of one land starts at the terminus of the preceding. I don't think it is bad, just not of advantage.

I personally like ratchet rifling. I think it exposes fewer land corners to potentially chip off in the throat, prematurely destroying accuracy.

ExplorinInTheWoods
10-09-18, 07:35
Rev arms was doing this 2-3 years ago but went under. They had stupid accurate barrels and they were getting better muzzle velocities. It’s similar to having a noveske stainless barrel.i have a buddy that got a 12.5 from them and he says it’s lights out accurate and has muzzle velocity of a 14.5

joeg26er
10-09-18, 07:50
I got a Triarc 12.5 on a pistol setup. Still need to run chrony on it. Anyone have specific ammo they are curious about velocities?

10-09-18, 10:40
I got a Triarc 12.5 on a pistol setup. Still need to run chrony on it. Anyone have specific ammo they are curious about velocities?

Fusion MSR, please. Also M855, MK262, and M855a1 if you have it. I’ll be happy if you just test Fusion MSR.

joeg26er
10-09-18, 10:58
Fusion MSR, please. Also M855, MK262, and M855a1 if you have it. I’ll be happy if you just test Fusion MSR.

I have none of those except for black hills 77gr otm
M193 imi, magtech 62gr, Speer gold dot , wolf gold 55gr, sb 55gr

MQ105
10-09-18, 12:03

I think a Gold Dot test would be good info. 77 and 62 perhaps? I'm also interested in the Wolf Gold velocity from that barrel.

10-10-18, 12:03

Pm me your address. I’ll send you some ammo, if you’ll chrono it. Might be a week or so for me to get to the UPS Store. We are talking about a Triarc Track 2.0, correct?

joeg26er
10-10-18, 13:37
Yes I have a 12.5 triarc track 2.0 barrel
Built on a San tan billet set

joeg26er
10-10-18, 13:49
I purchased this in June
I don’t see a 12.5 on their site anymore?
I never could get a reply to my emails from them

Jeepman1320
10-12-18, 16:21
I just put together an AR using a midlenth gas system 12.5" Triarc 2.0 and am very pleased with the results. It seems to prefer 69gr, 75gr, and 77gr and I shot several 10 shot groups that hovered between .5" and .75" at 50 yards (where it is zeroed). I had planned on chronographing it when I went to shoot 100 and 200, but the rain came in and put a stop to that for the time being. From what I have heard the Triarc barrels are pretty fast and will shoot around the same speeds as some traditional 14.5" barrels. If they are not on the website they may be out of stock. They have been busy building rifles for several PD's and SWAT teams. You may have better luck just calling them during business hours.

10-12-18, 20:24
I’ll be interested to see how velocities in this barrel compares to others with familiar ammo. I’ve been eyeing Triarc for a couple months, completely unaware of them before that.

Sparky5019
10-15-18, 10:43
GarandThumb did a review of their 1911 9mm recently. Given the purported quality of that pistol, I’d be interested to see how one of their barrels performed. I’ll have to ask if they do do a lighter contour though. I’ll report back what they say on that contour. I’m intrigued about the possible rifling accuracy benefits. Their barrel is reasonable as it’s leff than a BCM BFH barrel and on par with other high quality barrels.

morpheus562
10-15-18, 12:11
GarandThumb did a review of their 1911 9mm recently. Given the purported quality of that pistol, I’d be interested to see how one of their barrels performed. I’ll have to ask if they do do a lighter contour though. I’ll report back what they say on that contour. I’m intrigued about the possible rifling accuracy benefits. Their barrel is reasonable as it’s leff than a BCM BFH barrel and on par with other high quality barrels.

GarandThumb also did a review on one of their rifles. If memory serves, he said he shot very accurately with it.

Wake27
10-15-18, 12:18
GarandThumb also did a review on one of their rifles. If memory serves, he said he shot very accurately with it.

Correct. I don’t remember hearing him say how many rounds he had through it though. And I wish he would actually shoot a few groups like MrG&G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky5019
10-15-18, 12:31

I missed that. I’ll have to go look for it.

Sparky5019
10-19-18, 18:42
I looked at the Triarc barrels. Now I have a question...which would be better, a BCM BFH 11.5 or a Triarc 11.5 suppressed only SEP barrel? No real dog in the fight here. The BCM is more expensive but is that better? I have it built but haven’t printed it yet. The Triarc guy claim their barrel is 1MOA and the most other CHF barrels are good but 2MOA all day long. Experience? Thoughts?

morpheus562
10-20-18, 11:41
I looked at the Triarc barrels. Now I have a question...which would be better, a BCM BFH 11.5 or a Triarc 11.5 suppressed only SEP barrel? No real dog in the fight here. The BCM is more expensive but is that better? I have it built but haven’t printed it yet. The Triarc guy claim their barrel is 1MOA and the most other CHF barrels are good but 2MOA all day long. Experience? Thoughts?

If you plan on an 11.5" to be run suppressed you should take a look at the Sionics Reduced Gas Port and Extreme Reduced Gas Port barrels.

Sparky5019
10-20-18, 12:17
I have a BCM BFH. I’ve looked at the Sionics. It’s a very nice barrel. My comparison was more about the SEP rifling as a new concept vs “the best suppressed only barrel”. I’m not looking for a new barrel per se. I’m moreover asking a comparative question of those with experience.

There has been much discussion and it has been well established that the Sionics RGP is an excellent barrel. It’s not the topic of discussion in this thread that’s why I didn’t mention it or put up a poll. I appreciate your recommendation of the Sionics barrel.

My question still stands for those with experience with SEP barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wake27
10-20-18, 13:44
I have a BCM BFH. I’ve looked at the Sionics. It’s a very nice barrel. My comparison was more about the SEP rifling as a new concept vs “the best suppressed only barrel”. I’m not looking for a new barrel per se. I’m moreover asking a comparative question of those with experience.

There has been much discussion and it has been well established that the Sionics RGP is an excellent barrel. It’s not the topic of discussion in this thread that’s why I didn’t mention it or put up a poll. I appreciate your recommendation of the Sionics barrel.

My question still stands for those with experience with SEP barrels.

There really isn’t a lot out there on these still. Not sure if I posted it in this thread but I was heavily considering sending my upper to Triarc to get one of their barrels installed. I was doing all kinds of research but didn’t turn up a whole lot and almost none of it was quantitative. That being said, the few reviews I have seen indicated the barrels being around MOA and while I love BCM, their barrels are typically less accurate than many of their competitors like Colt and DD. Personally, I decided it wasn’t worth it since, like you, I already have a good barrel. If I was starting from scratch however, I’d be very tempted to try one.

Sparky5019
10-20-18, 15:15
There really isn’t a lot out there on these still. Not sure if I posted it in this thread but I was heavily considering sending my upper to Triarc to get one of their barrels installed. I was doing all kinds of research but didn’t turn up a whole lot and almost none of it was quantitative. That being said, the few reviews I have seen indicated the barrels being around MOA and while I love BCM, their barrels are typically less accurate than many of their competitors like Colt and DD. Personally, I decided it wasn’t worth it since, like you, I already have a good barrel. If I was starting from scratch however, I’d be very tempted to try one.

Kind of where I was but the concept is intriguing. My BFH 11.5 is a .gov profile and a touch heavy but the Triarc barrel is still a .750 gas block and a BCM STD ELWF (.626) is about the same weight as a Triarc; just over 1#. I’ll stick with my barrel at the moment and see how it does. I’m interested in any experience people have. Of note, they state the gas port of they’re suppressed barrel is 0.052”.

Wake27
10-20-18, 16:12
Kind of where I was but the concept is intriguing. My BFH 11.5 is a .gov profile and a touch heavy but the Triarc barrel is still a .750 gas block and a BCM STD ELWF (.626) is about the same weight as a Triarc; just over 1#. I’ll stick with my barrel at the moment and see how it does. I’m interested in any experience people have. Of note, they state the gas port of they’re suppressed barrel is 0.052”.

I don’t remember where I saw it but one review stated that the barrel was significantly heavier than advertised. On the site, their 14.5 is listed around 1.5 but their 13.9 is marked at 1.9 pounds IIRC. Seemed a little odd so I’m not sure how accurate their stated weights are.

Sparky5019
10-20-18, 16:20
I don’t remember where I saw it but one review stated that the barrel was significantly heavier than advertised. On the site, their 14.5 is listed around 1.5 but their 13.9 is marked at 1.9 pounds IIRC. Seemed a little odd so I’m not sure how accurate their stated weights are.

I called and he weighed one while I was on the phone and he came back with about 1.2#.

GAST
10-20-18, 18:39
I have a Triarc 14.5 TSR S rifle. I can't officially say that is sub MOA, but what I can say is that it does shoot less than 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds, as that is my preferred zero.

Regardless, I think it is a very cost effective barrel when compared to others of its class. More importantly, it runs well both suppressed and unsuppressed without adjustment. It can be difficult at times finding barrels that aren't overgassed due to port sizing.

I can't comment specifically about barrel weight due to my build.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision.

10-20-18, 18:56
I’ll be able to ship Joeg26er some ammo to chrono this week, so we can get some velocities with known ammo.

joeg26er
10-20-18, 19:14
That was my review. Ordered June 18th. Received and emailed Triarc the following on June 25th - no answer to repeated emails on June 29th and through their site contact form either

"I am a bit disappointed that the weight stated on your website for the 12.5 is 1.37lbs
Mine weighs 1.459 lbs and has no markings except for a tiny s and a 4 on the breech end

Is this weight an error with the barrel or does your site need correcting?"

I guess I'll call them and see if they want to swap me for the 12.5inch 1.2lb barrel? That would be nice...
I weighed this with a scale that's accurate to 5grams and verified with multiple other parts so my scale is accurate

Sparky5019
10-20-18, 19:42
I have a Triarc 14.5 TSR S rifle. I can't officially say that is sub MOA, but what I can say is that it does shoot less than 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds, as that is my preferred zero.

Regardless, I think it is a very cost effective barrel when compared to others of its class. More importantly, it runs well both suppressed and unsuppressed without adjustment. It can be difficult at times finding barrels that aren't overgassed due to port sizing.

I can't comment specifically about barrel weight due to my build.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision.

Good info. It does. Thanks for posting it!

joeg26er
10-25-18, 11:21
I tried velocity tests on a mid length TRIARC 12.5" AR-15 TRACK Barrel 2.0 with NP3 Barrel extension Chambered in 5.56mm
Slr7 adjustable gas block
Brownells lw nitride bcg
Wolf gold 55gr From 2820-2850
Sellier n Bellot 55gr light green box. 2980 to 2890
IMI 55gr 2823-2750
Tula steel case 55gr. 2780-2816
In comparison on the same chronograph
An hk 33 with 16” barrel ran about 50fps faster
Maximum velocity was 3,000 with the green box S&B 55gr

Cokie
10-25-18, 21:49
Molon’s testing put IMI 55gr 556 at 3000 fps with a colt 14.5” barrel. Cut 2 inches off and I bet the track barrel and the colt would be even at around 2800 fps for both.

Edit: Thank you for the testing. This is something that has been on my mind since I stumbled upon this thread.

joeg26er
10-25-18, 22:02
Was getting some errors on the chrony so battery maybe low
I’ll retest next week and report back

Sparky5019
10-26-18, 06:12
Molon’s testing put IMI 55gr 556 at 3000 fps with a colt 14.5” barrel. Cut 2 inches off and I bet the track barrel and the colt would be even at around 2800 fps for both.

Edit: Thank you for the testing. This is something that has been on my mind since I stumbled upon this thread.

Hmm. Interesting. Provided his chrony isn’t incorrect or low battery, maybe the the SEP bore doesn’t give that extra velocity that it’s advertised as giving. I’ll be interested to see the retest!!

joeg26er
10-26-18, 06:52
What velocity is everyone else getting out of their barrels with wolf gold?
Length brand and twist rates?

Sparky5019
10-26-18, 06:54
What velocity is everyone else getting out of their barrels with wolf gold?
Length brand and twist rates?

I was getting 2750-2800 from my DD 10.3 with M193 clone hand loads. I have clocked my BCM BFH 11.5 yet.

joeg26er
10-26-18, 09:48
Should I be pretty happy with my triarc 12.5 velocity being so close to a 16” hk roller lock barrel ?
I’m within 50fpsish
Or is 2970-3000 fps slow for the hk 16” ?

Skeeter98
10-27-18, 14:58
I just ordered a triarc upper with a 14.5 track 2.0 barrel with a p/w sf3p and a giessele mk14. All in all I spent around $850. Plus I have a np3 sionics bcg. Did I pass the point of diminishing returns when spending around 1k for an upper? I wanted this to be my end all be all, do it all carbine but I'm not so great of a shot. What I have is a probably extremely accurate, easy to clean, well built upper. I would still pick this over the urgi.

Skeeter98
10-27-18, 15:00
That was my review. Ordered June 18th. Received and emailed Triarc the following on June 25th - no answer to repeated emails on June 29th and through their site contact form either

"I am a bit disappointed that the weight stated on your website for the 12.5 is 1.37lbs
Mine weighs 1.459 lbs and has no markings except for a tiny s and a 4 on the breech end

Is this weight an error with the barrel or does your site need correcting?"

I guess I'll call them and see if they want to swap me for the 12.5inch 1.2lb barrel? That would be nice...
I weighed this with a scale that's accurate to 5grams and verified with multiple other parts so my scale is accurate

They updated the site. I ordered a 14.5 when it said 1.37 lbs, now its 1.66. These are pretty much medium weight barrels which I guess is good. I was hoping for something a tad lighter. Ill see how it feels once I get it.

Skeeter98
10-27-18, 15:05
Should I be pretty happy with my triarc 12.5 velocity being so close to a 16” hk roller lock barrel ?
I’m within 50fpsish
Or is 2970-3000 fps slow for the hk 16” ?

that's a similar velocity to a 16 inch ar with a standard chrome lined barrel.

joeg26er
10-27-18, 15:27
I just ordered a triarc upper with a 14.5 track 2.0 barrel with a p/w sf3p and a giessele mk14. All in all I spent around $850. Plus I have a np3 sionics bcg. Did I pass the point of diminishing returns when spending around 1k for an upper? I wanted this to be my end all be all, do it all carbine but I'm not so great of a shot. What I have is a probably extremely accurate, easy to clean, well built upper. I would still pick this over the urgi.

You might have. But if it fits your purpose and you’re happy with it that’s what matters
For me I built the 12.5 with the goal of having the power of a 16” as small as possible and with light weight but high accuracy at a reasonable cost
I don’t need to mount precision lasers to the hand guard so could go much lighter on it

Skeeter98
10-27-18, 15:44
You might have. But if it fits your purpose and you’re happy with it that’s what matters
For me I built the 12.5 with the goal of having the power of a 16” as small as possible and with light weight but high accuracy at a reasonable cost
I don’t need to mount precision lasers to the hand guard so could go much lighter on it

it Is almost exactly what I wanted, I only wish the barrel was the advertised 1.37 lbs instead of 1.66 lbs which is still ok. Ill probably get another AR 15 upper once this one is shot out which Is years from now. Its so cool how the world is your oyster with ar 15's. At least I didn't spend 2500$ on a scar or mr556.

Sparky5019
10-27-18, 15:47
They redid their site. I currently don’t see their 11.5 suppressed barrel. [emoji848][emoji22]

jerrysimons
08-27-19, 10:18
Clint at BRT I think uses this type of rifling in his barrels, there it is called “6p hybrid”
He posted some pretty impressive muzzle velocity stats in the Optimum barrel thread

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-14-21, 13:55
Anyone have anymore updates on the Triarc velocities?