PDA

View Full Version : sling placement?

big 54r
10-30-08, 21:40
I have question for those of you with more ar experience than I.

which way do you guy's hook up your slings: placement, hook style and why, on barrel, on fsb, handgaurds, stock or end plate sling adapters?

I personally don't like my sling on my buttstock.

I have my sling hooked up to an end plate sling adapter with slots and single pt. hole. I use the slot.

for the forward hook up I am running it on the fsb until my side mount adapter comes in then it'll be under the fsb on the barrel.

I am going to experiment with several positions up forward with the 1st being on a rail on the handgaurd all the way to the rear and side mounted.

which way is your preference and why?
does it make a difference in an operational since?

hillmillenia
10-30-08, 21:58
That's a funny question only in that after a 15 year hiatus. I got back into shooting sports and of course the M4 civi-spec model I assembled after reading and researching for months began to take shape. After a period of remorse for selling off those Colts, IMI's, HK's and Norinco's I bought so many years ago for what I now realize was really,really cheap. I picked up a CMT lower from denny's...uh...Global Tactical. a 16" M4 upper with CMT receiver from Bravo I decided on a single point sling so I added the receiver plate with a sling loop. Of course the upper assy comes with the standard swivel under the front sight post and the M4 telescoping stock has a place to attach a sling up top or on the bottom. Well I didn't like the single point sling. You have to lug this light little carbine around with no support unless you let it hang on your side and that isn't an especially prepared form of carry. I threw a standard GI sling on it for a while but you can't carry in a ready position in this configuration either. So I added a RRA front side sling attachment and a Wilson tactical sling to it. BINGO! and I have 5 different attachment points on this humble little carbine.:rolleyes:

frogger
10-30-08, 22:05
I use a single point sling attached with an HK hook loop on an end plate adapter. I like it. However, I haven't used it other than trying it out around the house yet since I just got it.

m4fun
10-31-08, 03:18
Vickers sling, I am confused(an ambi guy) short guy with left eye dominance and shoot as a righty - so I mount the front of the sling as close to the upper receiver as possible and the rear of the sling as far back as possible. I prefer using QD attachments with the sling and works well with both a magpul CTR and Vltor. Works great in general between hanging, ready and on target. If transitioning to weak side, also lets me release slack easy, etc, etc.

Brian

big 54r
11-02-08, 00:40
I went and looked at a VTAC sling today and was impressed with it but didn't see a VCAS to compare the 2.

are the vtac and vcas similar 2pt slings?

I have a 3pt that can serve as either of the 3 but it really does get in the way of the left side controls on an ar.

my 3pt is so adjustable it can serve the purpose (very comfortable also!) but I see a 2pt on the horizon.