PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer...machine guns?

Slater
10-12-18, 11:55
Looks like they're really branching out:

SIG Sauer have unveiled their newest entry into the small arms market at the 2018 AUSA exposition, which began today in Washington, DC. Described as the Light Weight Machine Gun, the new weapon was reportedly developed for US Special Operations Command’s medium machine gun requirement and is chambered in .338 Norma Magnum – a rival to General Dynamics’ Lightweight Medium Machine Gun.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/08/sig-light-machine-gun/

RetroRevolver77
10-12-18, 12:01
deleted

VIP3R 237
10-12-18, 13:17
Belt fed .338 norma? I bet whoever is making their barrels will be giddy AF if they get the contract.

TMS951
10-12-18, 13:44
They want all the business. Handguns, rifles, pistols, and now machineguns. Seems the military is warming up to them- which I hope means SIG will start producing decent quality stuff again and not the junk they've put out in the past.

The US government has a track record for going for the lowest bidder, not the best product.

I don't expect the Sig contracts will in way make for a better product. It will continue to reinforce the bare minimum to get it done mentality.

Averageman
10-12-18, 13:54
They want all the business. Handguns, rifles, pistols, and now machineguns. Seems the military is warming up to them- which I hope means SIG will start producing decent quality stuff again and not the junk they've put out in the past.

I've owned two Sig Sauer carbines, both were made by SIG USA and both were junk.
When your standards are crap, there is nowhere to go but up.

SteyrAUG
10-12-18, 15:08
It's official, people will put a M4 style stock on anything. Even if the weapon doesn't even use a buffer tube, even if there are 20 different and more practical stock options and even when it's ridiculous and used on a very large frame belt fed weapon chambered in a magnum rifle cartridge.

GH41
10-12-18, 15:37
Belt fed .338 norma? I bet whoever is making their barrels will be giddy AF if they get the contract.

Yea.. They will probably send the guy out with a quiver full of barrels. Cost won't matter... Civilians pay 6 bucks a pop. I am sure uncle sam will pay more than that.. At FA (500 rpm) thats 3 grand a minute. Let us be extremely optimistic and say the barrel will go 20K before keyholing at 50 yards.. 120K in ammo to wear out a what?? A 3K barrel. You are correct.. The barrel provider will be giddy as hell if they let him make money but the guy making the ammunition will be happier!!!

mack7.62
10-12-18, 20:01
How could .338 Norma cost more to load than .50 cal, I don't think they will be shooting match grade sniper rounds.

chadbag
10-12-18, 20:35

That came from the USMC and SOCOM Sources Sought Solicitation. Sig Sauer seems to be responding to a gov request.

Campbell
10-12-18, 21:21
The US government has a track record for going for the lowest bidder, not the best product.

I don't expect the Sig contracts will in way make for a better product. It will continue to reinforce the bare minimum to get it done mentality.

Exactly.... Sig just doing the bare minimum would be a high hurdle for them imo. FN they are not.

Coal Dragger
10-12-18, 22:41
Looks like a mandatory candidate for a stelite liner for the barrels.

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-18, 17:29
It's official, people will put a M4 style stock on anything. Even if the weapon doesn't even use a buffer tube, even if there are 20 different and more practical stock options and even when it's ridiculous and used on a very large frame belt fed weapon chambered in a magnum rifle cartridge.

You just saved me some typing.

When I saw the pic I lol'ed when I saw the AR receiver extension and the B5 Bravo hanging off a belt-fed LMG (the Bravo is my favorite AR stock).