PDA

View Full Version : SELFIE DEATH At My Building !!! :(

WillBrink
10-12-18, 16:24
The girl was trying to take a selfie at MY building in Panama. Thought it was suicide, but no, she was attempting to take a selfie! For Christ sake, think before trying to take the worlds greatest selfie to impress your friends and a bunch strangers. She literally posted on her FB 6 hours ago then died. Can't upload here, see my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/WillBrinkOnline

PS, if anyone wants to embed that vid here, feel free to do so.

SteyrAUG
10-12-18, 16:34
Video won't play for me, but I can probably figure it out.

Welcome to South Florida.

markm
10-12-18, 16:35
I really struggle to feel bad about these things. People are just getting dumber and dumber.

WillBrink
10-12-18, 16:38
Video won't play for me, but I can probably figure it out.

Welcome to South Florida.

Per above, at my condo in Panama.

I really struggle to feel bad about these things. People are just getting dumber and dumber.

Yes well, it was Darwin at work, but damn! Im sure that will be all over the social media shortly and maybe, just maybe, someone will think twice before getting that selfie they think they need so bad.

Moose-Knuckle
10-12-18, 16:52
Modernity, this is quickly becoming a pretty common phenomenon now days.

More than 250 people worldwide have died taking selfies, study finds

More than 250 people worldwide have died while taking selfies in the last six years, according to a new study from researchers associated with the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, a group of public medical colleges based in New Delhi. The findings, which analyzed news reports of the 259 selfie-related deaths from October 2011 to November 2017, were published in the July-August edition of the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care.

Of the 259 deaths, researchers found the leading cause to be drowning, followed by incidents involving transportation — for example, taking a selfie in front of an oncoming train — and falling from heights. Other causes of selfie-related deaths include animals, firearms and electrocution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/10/03/more-than-250-people-worldwide-have-died-taking-selfies-study-finds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89bb48eb3033

ETA:

Here is an example I happened upon social media just last week. I see shit like this more and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTQ_dr8XX8

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-12-18, 16:57
We have one mutual friend...

If I didn't know you, I'd say that it was a hoax. A dummy (mannequin) or something.

How about the lady a level down, that must have been a WTF did I just see.

Averageman
10-12-18, 17:00
It's just crazy.

Honu
10-12-18, 17:27
Per above, at my condo in Panama.

Yes well, it was Darwin at work, but damn! Im sure that will be all over the social media shortly and maybe, just maybe, someone will think twice before getting that selfie they think they need so bad.

sadly no instead how Trump is a racist and Kav needs to go and Kanye needs a intervention you know left priorities and all

that was like yikes and so sad for the parents no clue what she was thinking on that ?

Alex V
10-12-18, 17:35
Saw your FB post. Daymn. Part of me feels bad for the girl because it's a terrible accident but the other part of me wants to say the whole stupid games / stupid prizes tho.

WillBrink
10-12-18, 17:46
Saw your FB post. Daymn. Part of me feels bad for the girl because it's a terrible accident but the other part of me wants to say the whole stupid games / stupid prizes tho.

I think it's OK to feel both ways!

GH41
10-12-18, 18:05
I think it's OK to feel both ways!

Please don't link us to anything on FB. **** FB!

ABNAK
10-12-18, 18:34
Where in Panama?

C-grunt
10-12-18, 18:43
Damn that was a hell of a fall. How tall is that building?

WickedWillis
10-12-18, 18:47
Well regardless of the err in judgement, this can't be easy for anyone involved. Families, friends and workers alike. Sorry about the dark day WIll.

Averageman
10-12-18, 19:02
I used to work construction to earn money for college, one summer I did cement work on a high rise in Chicago.
Man, people don't even know or they become so complacent due to familiarity that they don't understand how dangerous it is up that high, patio or not.
I've seen some pretty crazy stuff up on the edge.

MegademiC
10-12-18, 19:11
Wait, you own that, a part of it?

Talon167
10-12-18, 19:18
Damn, that sucks.

So people were just randomly filming the side of the building before she fell?

WillBrink
10-12-18, 19:26
Where in Panama?

El Cangrejo

WillBrink
10-12-18, 19:30
Damn that was a hell of a fall. How tall is that building?

30 floors I think

Wait, you own that, a part of it?

I own a condo in that buiding yes.

Damn, that sucks.

So people were just randomly filming the side of the building before she fell?

I think she was being erratic and it caught his attention so he decided to film her and then that. I'm thinking suicide while taking a selfie. Be interesting to see what's on that phone for pics.

militarymoron
10-12-18, 19:56
I'm thinking suicide while taking a selfie. Be interesting to see what's on that phone for pics.

I'm thinking the same thing, after looking at it more closely. At first, I thought that she had reached her hand behind her to stop herself from falling backwards, and that it was an accident, but then I also noticed that she didn't let go of the selfie stick the whole way down. If I had fallen backwards on accident, my natural reaction would have been to let go of the selfie stick immediately in an attempt to grab a hold of anything around me. Seems too calm - no scream of terror on the way down, too.

Honu
10-12-18, 22:25
was she a local girl or a tourist short termer type ?

did not think of the suicide angle but that could be something maybe even doing a video at the time ? that seemed to be a small trend for a while not sure if its still happening

Coal Dragger
10-12-18, 23:39

Yep. Like the woman who got killed trying to take a selfie next to the RR tracks when UP 844 was high balling it on that main.

The camera phone: weeding out the dumb ones since 2007.

https://youtu.be/14xbsubeb2Y

gaijin
10-13-18, 07:56
Simply "Natural Selection" at work.

Talon167
10-13-18, 09:15
30 floors I think

I own a condo in that buiding yes.

I think she was being erratic and it caught his attention so he decided to film her and then that. I'm thinking suicide while taking a selfie. Be interesting to see what's on that phone for pics.

Hmmmm, I wonder if she was doing one of those "live-stream" suicides that some kids were doing recently. The "I'm being bullied online so I am going to live-stream and hang myself" stories.

Unfortunate, but whadda ya gonna do?

ace4059
10-13-18, 13:33
Yep. Like the woman who got killed trying to take a selfie next to the RR tracks when UP 844 was high balling it on that main.

The camera phone: weeding out the dumb ones since 2007.

https://youtu.be/14xbsubeb2Y

Must be a Deadly decision... fouling the track. For a spilt second she might have been riding the point. I would consider that getting off on moving equipment. I’m full of the jokes today. Just some dum bass foamers

Will
I can’t see the first video. No Facebook. Can someone post it?

Alex V
10-13-18, 14:10
I showed my wife this video and he told me an interesting thing. She said her friend was recently on vacation, I believe in Myrtle Beach. They were staying in a high rise hotel which had balconies. He friend said they had a great time but in the week they were there, "two people committed suicide by jumping from balconies". We were wondering if they weren't suicides, but two more selfie fails?

WillBrink
10-13-18, 14:17
was she a local girl or a tourist short termer type ?

did not think of the suicide angle but that could be something maybe even doing a video at the time ? that seemed to be a small trend for a while not sure if its still happening

It's now in various papers:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6272069/Shocking-moment-woman-taking-selfie-27th-floor-balcony-plunges-death-Panama.html

WillBrink
10-13-18, 14:19
Must be a Deadly decision... fouling the track. For a spilt second she might have been riding the point. I would consider that getting off on moving equipment. I’m full of the jokes today. Just some dum bass foamers

Will
I can’t see the first video. No Facebook. Can someone post it?

Now in news outlets:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6272069/Shocking-moment-woman-taking-selfie-27th-floor-balcony-plunges-death-Panama.html

ace4059
10-13-18, 14:51
I showed my wife this video and he told me an interesting thing.
That shits spread to NJ now?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-13-18, 15:08
I showed my wife this video and he told me an interesting thing. She said her friend was recently on vacation, I believe in Myrtle Beach. They were staying in a high rise hotel which had balconies. He friend said they had a great time but in the week they were there, "two people committed suicide by jumping from balconies". We were wondering if they weren't suicides, but two more selfie fails?

Ug, what a choice. Either your loved one committed suicide or they f'd up. What do you want on your tombstone?

OT: AlexV, are you the one that asked Forgotten weapons about M1 carbine question that they had segment on?

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-18, 16:49

That is one magnificent engine.

I showed my wife this video and he told me an interesting thing.

Um, my dude? :blink:

:jester:

BBossman
10-13-18, 17:31
Simply "Natural Selection" at work.

https://i.imgur.com/qW0E5cg.jpg?1

Alex V
10-13-18, 17:33
lol she lol. F me.

Proofreading isn't my strong suit. Hey, English is my second language. Yeah, I'll use that as an excuse. Posting via iPhone doesn't help.

I didn't ask Ian any questions. Though I do enjoy his videos.

Coal Dragger
10-13-18, 17:58
That is one magnificent engine.

Um, my dude? :blink:

:jester:

Sometimes I wish my road had a heritage program just so I could get steam qualified. On the other hand running the old steamers every day would be a lot of damn work.

26 Inf
10-13-18, 18:08
https://i.imgur.com/qW0E5cg.jpg?154140

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-18, 19:20
Sometimes I wish my road had a heritage program just so I could get steam qualified. On the other hand running the old steamers every day would be a lot of damn work.

I think in another life I must have been a hogger cause I sure have a wonder lust for journeys on those old steamies. One of these days the wife and I plan on doing one of those Canadian Rockies trains.

Coal Dragger
10-13-18, 21:17
The reality of that work is probably much different than the idealized fantasy.

Railroading very quickly becomes a job, not something you are enthusiastic about.

At the end of the day I’ll take a brand new GE ES44AC on the point over a steam engine.

Moose-Knuckle
10-15-18, 14:11
The reality of that work is probably much different than the idealized fantasy.

Railroading very quickly becomes a job, not something you are enthusiastic about.

At the end of the day I’ll take a brand new GE ES44AC on the point over a steam engine.

I could see how that might be, but for some I imagine it is a "labor of love". My kiddo loves the Thomas the Tank cartoon, in between the animated shorts is real life footage of the old steamies operating to this day on the British Rail. There's lot of behind the scenes footage of the various workman in the yard and at the steam works. Hell, I wouldn't even have to ride them out I could just work on them and I'd be as happy as a kid in the proverbial candy store.

Diamondback
10-15-18, 15:06
Ouch. That sucks, Will. :(

To others: Do we need a new thread for M4C railroaders or members of RR heritage? I'm from an old New York Central System family, and if it weren't for a boat-anchor parent needing constant care and live-in butt-wiper I'd be interested in trying to get onto the road to engine crew myself.

duece71
10-15-18, 22:10
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Darwin Award was first prize in this case. So sad.

Coal Dragger
10-15-18, 23:16
I could see how that might be, but for some I imagine it is a "labor of love". My kiddo loves the Thomas the Tank cartoon, in between the animated shorts is real life footage of the old steamies operating to this day on the British Rail. There's lot of behind the scenes footage of the various workman in the yard and at the steam works. Hell, I wouldn't even have to ride them out I could just work on them and I'd be as happy as a kid in the proverbial candy store.

The reality of the RR industry is not so glamorous. First of all most of us in train, yard, and engine service work on call 24/7/365. I do get time off at my discretion so long as I don’t exceed 25% unavailablity. The downside is I work at night, probably the vast majority of the time but can not predict accurately what time or even what day I will be working. I miss most weekends, a lot of holidays, and now with a 1 year old son a lot of his milestones.

The work itself is rarely satisfying to be honest, not these days with an industry wide obsession with cost cutting and fuel conservation. Unless I get called for a Z train (super high priority freight like UPS), which we don’t regularly have on my route, there is no getting with the program and hauling ass. Those days are long gone sadly. Now it’s just a suck fest of running right at the bare minimum scheduled horsepower per ton, usually around .6-.9 HPT effective on loaded coal trains, and isolated locomotives, and throttle limit restrictions on everything else. I thought maybe I’ve just gotten a bad attitude, but every now and then dispatch has to move trains (which they would love to actually be able to do too) and get word to have us put everything on line and run; gotta say it’s still fun and rewarding to high ball properly. Just exceedingly rare.

So we putz around at idiotically low speeds, beating the living crap out of the locomotives we can use, just to “save” money on fuel. Instead the carrier pays us overtime, and gets to spend extra $$$ on maintenance for all the locomotives that go down. I have a photo (taken after securing the equipment and suspending service because we were out of time) of a crankshaft on a two stroke V16 EMD 710 series that must have spun a rod bearing and then managed to cut the rod journal up to the point it twisted itself in half. Pretty impressive mechanical carnage. Made for a very long day, and who knows how big of a repair bill. The company doesn’t care, they’re saving money on fuel... the total financial picture is not considered.

When my employer isn’t thinking up stupid shit to try out and make work miserable, they’re trying to cheat money from employees, ignore contracts, and screw customers. They also are trying real hard to screw over some widows of my former track coworkers who got killed after being ordered to work on a switch, but weren’t afforded blocking protection in that block. They were then struck and killed by two of my other coworkers on a train. Can’t delay trains you know, the big wigs in Ft. Worth wouldn’t like that. I sincerely hope they lose that lawsuit, sounds like depositions are going very very badly for the company. Good. I’m pretty pissed about that still. They preach safety unless it means delaying trains, or spending money.... then it’s just cheaper to blame the crew or the deceased in the event of a fatality.

ace4059
10-16-18, 00:10
This thread derailed.

Here’s another one.

Can we get on the right track?

I think you’re out of your limits.

Diamondback
10-16-18, 00:41
*groans* Dude, those were Fartjar-level stinkers...