PDA

View Full Version : Where to put pistol after getting long gun?

Ron3
10-13-18, 14:53
I'll bet most of us sleep with loose or no clothes on.

The handgun is handy and quickest to access for most of us. But after we wake and get an OODA loop started we probably want a long gun in our hands if it really seems like we're going to need a gun.

So you get to your long gun and pick it up. What do you with your hand gun?

Do you have an inconspicuous place to leave it? Give it to a family member? (Who is also probably half asleep) Do you put it down, put on pants, a holster, put pistol in holster then pick up long gun? Or do you grab the long gun first and skip the pistol?

MegademiC
10-13-18, 15:17

The handgun is handy and quickest to access for most of us. But after we wake and get an OODA loop started we probably want a long gun in our hands if it really seems like we're going to need a gun.

Do you have an inconspicuous place to leave it? Give it to a family member? (Who is also probably half asleep) Do you put it down, put on pants, a holster, put pistol in holster then pick up long gun? Or do you grab the long gun first and skip the pistol?

Rifle, skip pistol if its a choice. In real life, get whatever is closer and excecute plan.

If I die because I had to transition after 30 rounds during a home invasion, but didnt have my pistol, it was just my time.

Wake27
10-13-18, 15:48
My rifle is right beside my pistol. Unless someone is coming through the bedroom door at the second I wake up, there is no disadvantage for me to take extra second or two to get the rifle up. That being said, my Ronin belt (which is easily accessed in the next room) can be thrown around most of my clothing and won’t move too much as long as I’m not running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-13-18, 16:13
I don’t really buy into the “use a pistol to fight to your long gun” thing. I don’t see having a running gunfight through my house as a realistic scenario, and if I do, all threat problems will be solved prior to opening my safe, and cops enroute. Whatever gun I grab on my way out the bed is what I’ve got. That said, when a rifle is not next to my bed, a M9A1 is in one of my competition rigs on the floor next to my bed, so I can grab and go with that. Along with pants and a pair of shoes, for investigating outdoor noises.

ggammell
10-13-18, 16:18
You should have you’re OODA loop going before you grab any firearm.

kerplode
10-15-18, 15:00

Prison wallet...
;-)

Honestly, though, I suppose I'd just fight with whatever weapon was most at hand at the time, and I'd probably just go straight to the rifle if that was at all an option (i.e. put it by the bed).

If I DID have a handgun and I DID need to grab a rifle, I'd just dump the handgun where the rifle was hiding and drive on.

voiceofreason
11-06-18, 14:01
Prison wallet...
;-)

I'd probably just go straight to the rifle if that was at all an option (i.e. put it by the bed).

+1
Usually, the place you grab your rifle will be in friendly territory and will stay behind you in a fight.

Though, if I already had a pistol in hand I would probably be moving toward the threat/funnel to stand off immediately at a chokepoint rather than retreat further, allow them to progress further.

We know our layouts in our homes and should have thought this through previously. In any situation, you are on auto pilot and doing what you already practiced/trained to do.

Prior training is your advantage.

markm
11-06-18, 14:05
I never touch the pistol on my home court. SBR or nothing.

Freelance
11-06-18, 16:27
I'm a dad, little hands are curious hands, so nothing can be left unlocked and at the ready in my place. For that reason I have a quick access pistol safe at my bedside ( biometric so I'm not fumbling for a key or RFID tag in my just awoke state.) It hopefully will be adequate to make it the larger safe if need be in an accompanying room. If it gets to that level of need I would place the pistol on my person in a holster which is ready next to the rifle in the safe. It will stay on my hips ( the belt with holster,) even if I am unclothed as I usually am when I sleep. I imagine it would make for a fairly amusing pic though ( standing in the buff with a rifle and nothing but a gun belt and holstered pistol. ) My place is small ,Cali so yeah. I am probably much more comfortable with a pistol for clearing my small home ( plus no 30 rounds mags for us anyways, so I'll take the pistol.)

rexster314
11-06-18, 17:12
My Delta Elite is under my pillow. Since we have a patio door in our bedroom, it's perfect placement for me. My AR is in the hall with either the Eotech turned on, or the Aimpoint PRO on, ready to go. If something's happening up front in the house, the AR gets picked up, bedroom area, first thing in my hand is the Delta

26 Inf
11-06-18, 20:59
My Delta Elite is under my pillow. Since we have a patio door in our bedroom, it's perfect placement for me. My AR is in the hall with either the Eotech turned on, or the Aimpoint PRO on, ready to go. If something's happening up front in the house, the AR gets picked up, bedroom area, first thing in my hand is the Delta

Boy I couldn't do that, I have tendency to wake up fighting if startled.

Striker753
11-14-18, 09:21
I just use a shotgun for HD...

But on a more serious note, do you think you could "craft" something by attaching a holster to a 2-point sling? You could just throw the sling over your shoulder, and the holster would be on your side at every time.
Needing a full AR mag and later on switching to your handgun in a home defense scenario would be quite strange unless you're planning to fight a busload of gang bangers or a Chinese paratrooper platoon, but if you'd feel safer with that, then go ahead.

Arik
11-14-18, 09:29
Sorry, couldn't resisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181114/7e9da4d4139e6e60da548b0835e48440.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
11-14-18, 10:28
In order to prepare for this situation you first have to go on a tactical diet, then:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/watch-how-morbidly-obese-man-6476304

flenna
11-14-18, 20:40
In order to prepare for this situation you first have to go on a tactical diet, then:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/watch-how-morbidly-obese-man-6476304

You know that was completely uncalled for :nono:.

jsbhike
11-14-18, 22:13

But on a more serious note, do you think you could "craft" something by attaching a holster to a 2-point sling? You could just throw the sling over your shoulder, and the holster would be on your side at every time.
Needing a full AR mag and later on switching to your handgun in a home defense scenario would be quite strange unless you're planning to fight a busload of gang bangers or a Chinese paratrooper platoon, but if you'd feel safer with that, then go ahead.

Sounds kind of like an M3 chest holster.

Ron3
11-18-18, 23:18
I'm going with putting the pistol down right where the rifle/shotgun just was.

Gödel
12-13-18, 18:05
This sort of question is more likely to cause you to screw up since you are giving yourself another mental conundrum to solve in the middle of an emergency. If a long gun isn't convenient for bedtime, don't confuse yourself by giving yourself the option - stick with the gun you have.

No matter how alert you feel, you aren't going to be able to process things as well if you're just waking up. Dangerous home invasions are actually very rare - don't overcomplicate a simple problem.

Ron3
12-14-18, 06:15
This sort of question is more likely to cause you to screw up since you are giving yourself another mental conundrum to solve in the middle of an emergency. If a long gun isn't convenient for bedtime, don't confuse yourself by giving yourself the option - stick with the gun you have.

No matter how alert you feel, you aren't going to be able to process things as well if you're just waking up. Dangerous home invasions are actually very rare - don't overcomplicate a simple problem.

I absolutely need to simplify some things by reducing the number of options when it comes to firearms.

Arik
12-14-18, 07:20
Why? Why not just stick to one gun? I own a bunch of guns. Some collectable, some for fun but it's not like I'm going to be stuck deciding which to grab in an emergency. It's always going to be the same gun

Ron3
12-14-18, 07:44
Why? Why not just stick to one gun? I own a bunch of guns. Some collectable, some for fun but it's not like I'm going to be stuck deciding which to grab in an emergency. It's always going to be the same gun

Well, a pistol is fast to grab and can be kept very close. Harder to get taken from me, too.

A rifle or shotgun is the better weapon, when you have space.

So, it's nice to have options but not too many.

Arik
12-14-18, 07:55
Right! So just pick one and stick with it regardless of what else you own

HKGuns
12-14-18, 07:55
I sleep with my Level IV plate carrier on and a knife on my nightstand. I am impervious to random .38 special rounds and practice knife attacks in the dark.

Ron3
12-14-18, 08:07
I sleep with my Level IV plate carrier on and a knife on my nightstand. I am impervious to random .38 special rounds and practice knife attacks in the dark.

You could do better. I suggest kevlar for your limbs and poison for your blade. But your on the right path.

HCrum87hc
12-14-18, 08:36
I have a toddler in the house, so I keep my pistol in a bedside safe. That's my go to. If I had time to get to the closet and get the SBR, I'd just put the pistol down there or put my range belt on and put the gun in the holster.

HKGuns
12-14-18, 09:04
You could do better. I suggest kevlar for your limbs and poison for your blade. But your on the right path.

I like the poison blade idea! [emoji23][emoji23]

TheTick
12-18-18, 22:35

I sleep in athletic shorts. Every one of my handguns "sleeps" in a kydex holster to include one in a Bladetech Klipt holster next to my bed. The first thing I would do is quickly clip it on and therefore, I would just reholster it if I decided to grab a long gun from my bedroom closet.

I think it's very important to factor in the possible need to use your hands and being able to quickly holster your pistol or release your rifle on a two-point sling is a good thing.

Mysteryman
12-19-18, 16:38

Not to play the what if game but suppose your rifle takes an incoming round and is disabled... Do you think a secondary would be useful? Reacting to an event that you didn't initiate is tough. You have no data on who, how many, how well armed, location, or intent. Stacking the deck in your favor is optimal and having a second gun is a wise choice. Obviously the situation dictates the tactics and sourcing a second gun may or may not be practical.

Outlander Systems
02-07-19, 11:19
Pistol for HD.

/end

sierra 223
02-23-19, 10:41
No small children anymore so I have Glock 17 with mounted light and hand held light on night stand. Have AR and 870 within reach of bed also. Most likely to gab glock if I move from bedroom and still be in the house. Pistol is ready to go rifle and shotgun are kept in cruiser ready condition. If staying at bed and have time long gun would probably be my choice or if going outside. If not dressed it will be long gun or pistol not both being carried.

Gunnar da Wolf
02-23-19, 17:27
I read somewhere that your pants are your primary bug out. If you wake up and the house is on fire, sliding off the hill in a mudslide, heading towards a tornado, you need to put your pants on. Wallet, keys, knife, cash, etc. My EDC d’jour lays on a table beside the bed with yesterday’s pants and appropriate holster beside it. I also keep a fleece lined vest and Keen sandals there. A carbine with WML is beside all that.
Grade A ninjas couldn’t get inside the house without getting noticed by our indoor dogs. My Elkie alerts when someone is half way up our driveway. I believe I’ll have time to get my shit together.

Deadsquiggles
06-07-19, 13:41
My pistol is on my nightstand which is next to the wall that my rifle is leaning against. Unless there’s no way to make my way the extra 18” past my pistol, I’m grabbing my rifle.

Watrdawg
06-07-19, 15:28
The wife hates that I do this but every night before I get in bed I take whatever clothes off right by my side. Anything happens I hop out of bed throw at least my pants/shorts on and then grab my handgun right off the nightstand. I'm then headed for the closet to grab my SBR. The closet is no more than 10 steps fro my side of the bed. If there isn't enough time to get to my SBR then I'm fine with the handgun and an extra magazine. Although I'm such a light sleeper that if my wife even thinks about rolling over at night I wake up. I'll even wake up when the dog changes positions in his crate. So unless I'm just totally exhausted and dead to the world I'll enough time to react whatever weapon needed or wanted.

AKDoug
06-07-19, 23:45
I'm curious. Are all you guys that sleep with an AR next to the bed putting them back in the safe while you are out of the house? For me, that's just too much of a chore. I just pull off my EDC pistol and put it on the night stand, back on to my body in the AM.. rinse, repeat. If I have plenty of warning for some odd reason, I'll head for my AR.

06-08-19, 07:49
I'm curious. Are all you guys that sleep with an AR next to the bed putting them back in the safe while you are out of the house? For me, that's just too much of a chore. I just pull off my EDC pistol and put it on the night stand, back on to my body in the AM.. rinse, repeat. If I have plenty of warning for some odd reason, I'll head for my AR.

I’ll either put it in the safe in the morning, or put it in the hardcase and take it with me to work, depending on what station I’m working that day.

Gunnar da Wolf
06-09-19, 14:46

The AR stays propped up beside the bed with an IDPA vest covering it. 60# Elkhound and 80# Lab cross are paid to protect Chateau Despair and do a damn good job of acting like they would when anyone comes around. A couple years ago the US Marshals lost a fugitive near my home and I got word of it. When I pulled up two of them in full gear were standing 25 yards down my driveway. Once they recognized me one guy said “Nobody’s getting in that house with those dogs”.
Good pups.

deputyG23
04-24-20, 09:30
Whatever holstered or pocketed handgun that is in the pocket or on the belt stays there at night. The pants are next to the bed on the floor. If alerted, pants go on and I have a least one and probably two handguns and a flashlight available if warranted. When dressed, there is usually at least one handgun somewhere on my body. No long guns are kept ready for SD since I have no means of securing them properly in a ready condition when gone from home.

RMike89
04-26-20, 12:12
Handgun on the nightstand, rifle next to nightstand with 60 rounds on board. Depends on time really, if i hear a crash like my sliding glass door getting broken, then handgun straight to point of domination and waiting. Now if my front door gets hammered, which is stout, then rifle. Time will dictate your response and having other souls in the house will affect your time. Audit that and you'll have your appropriate response. I'm not going hunting if I don't have to, so I have no need to get immediately dressed.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-30-20, 13:55

Yes. If I'm home the rifle is accessible. When I leave it goes in the safe. Takes all of 30 seconds.

RMike89
04-30-20, 14:19
Same, just a habit to build that takes less than 2 minutes to accomplish.

Dennis
05-01-20, 03:47
Same, just a habit to build that takes less than 2 minutes to accomplish.2 minutes??

Bedroom safe. Duh [emoji6]

Dennis.

AndyLate
05-13-20, 08:04
2 minutes??

Bedroom safe. Duh [emoji6]

Dennis.

I keep my CCW pistol and a carbine in the smallest, cheapest Liberty rifle safe bolted to the floor in our bedroom closet in case something goes bump in the night. It has a dial lock so I just unlock it at night and re-lock in the morning. We have a toddler (granddaughter) in our home, so my wife claims she double checks the safe every morning.

Tip - the small gun safes are very easy to find for sale used for about what a StackOn gun cabinet costs and are light enough to load/unload from a vehicle with 2 people.

The safe has enough room for the pistol, carbine, accessories and a vest with mags and medical pouch in case things go really sideways.

Andy

yoni
05-13-20, 10:08
I have a rifle by the bed, with 2 30 round mags in it. More than enough for inside the USA.

When I am outside the USA,in Africa. I have rifle by the bed, on the floor next to the rifle I have a shoulder holster with a pistol with a light mounted on it and 2 spare 21 round mags to give me 62 rounds of pistol ammo and 60 in the rifle. If I have time I would throw on the plates, that hold 3 more 30 rounders for the rifle. I also have a bug out bag that contains some energy bars, water and lots of cash, euro's , dollars, Swiss franc, and local currency plus some gold.

rocsteady
06-01-20, 00:57
Before moving back to Jersey I was in NYC for about 12 years (both due to work keeping me in this area) and was up so many times reacting to perceived or real gunshots that I started taking pants/belt/holster/extra mags/keys/wallet off as one unit, laid next to bed so getting up was a matter of slipping on my jeans and buckling the belt. AR is in sneaky safe knownst only to me but is downstairs. If I felt the need to go there, has one extra mag in a slip over the belt clip and have a midway range bag with extra mags, tourniquet/first aid and other necessities while remaining smallish that just goes over the shoulder. Only two occasions where I've gone with the "full" getup in the middle of the night; one was huge group of "protesters" during the Eric Garner dustup just descended on our neighborhood and other was waking up to what turned out to be a VERY low flying NYPD helo tracking some jackwagon that was rollin dirty or some such shenanigans.