PDA

View Full Version : How do you legally "pin" a collapsable stock?

Rainmaker9
10-31-08, 02:43
Hey,

I'm getting stationed at Ft Dix NJ. Hooray, i wish i knew what the laws were like prior to getting orders...:mad:

I'm trying to make my ARs legal, I'm grinding off the bayonet mounts and a buddy is fixed my PWS brakes...but is there a legal way to make a collapsable stock "fixed"?

I heard you can pin them, but where do go for this...can you do it yourself?

Also, I'm ignorant with NJ laws, do i have to register for that stupid NJ Firearms ower card thing?
There's no way in hell i'm giving NJ my weapons until they "figure things out" or for some registration period
I'd rather leave them with my in-laws back in AZ

frogger
10-31-08, 05:06
My suggestion would be to leave them in storage in a free state. Better that than mutilate them for NJ's law.

Iraqgunz
10-31-08, 05:18
I wouldn't make any modification to the weapons which would alter their original function or condition. You are better off leaving them in AZ.

Hey,

I'm getting stationed at Ft Dix NJ. Hooray, i wish i knew what the laws were like prior to getting orders...:mad:

I'm trying to make my ARs legal, I'm grinding off the bayonet mounts and a buddy is fixed my PWS brakes...but is there a legal way to make a collapsable stock "fixed"?

I heard you can pin them, but where do go for this...can you do it yourself?

Also, I'm ignorant with NJ laws, do i have to register for that stupid NJ Firearms ower card thing?
There's no way in hell i'm giving NJ my weapons until they "figure things out" or for some registration period
I'd rather leave them with my in-laws back in AZ

mario
10-31-08, 06:00
I was stationed at Ft Dix and personally I would leave my guns in a free sate.

edited out comment on police

30 cal slut
10-31-08, 07:41
i have a brand new Colt "pinned" m4 stock if you're interested.

since you're .mil, i'd be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

PM me for details.

-slut

30 cal slut
10-31-08, 07:53
i'm not a new jersey resident, but i think you'll find this useful:

http://www.njguns.com/laws.htm

Rainmaker9
10-31-08, 08:52
I think I'll only take my bull barrel...it never had the evil parts on the upper

But I still need to fix the stock for this weapon. I'd rather pay a couple bucks to pin it than buy a brand new A2 stock. This is a good excuse to buy a PRS, but my wife would kill me :p

rubberneck
10-31-08, 09:54
NJ is as bad as Kali and the police are Gestapo

That's just plain retarded. I don't like the laws in my state but I would never equate a sworn law enforcement officer to a group that responsible for rounding up and torturing/murdering millions of innocent people. You make yourself look like a fool when you write something like that.

To the original poster it can easily be done but it would be a waste of your time and money. If it were me instead of spending money having your stock pinned I would buy the Vltor rifle stock that fits over the receiver extension. When you leave the state you can take it off and got back to your current stock.

El Mac
10-31-08, 10:29
watch it, you're walking the line

noctis
10-31-08, 11:01
New Jersey Question:

If you are from out of state isn't there some sort of provision that allows government employees to import their "assault weapons" from their home of record, similar to Calfornia? (fingerprints&serial numbers)

Rainmaker9
10-31-08, 12:03
holy crap, earlier i called a NJ gunshop to get a quote to pin a stock, they said they couldn't do it but they said Harry's Army Navy store might. I called them and asked if they could pin a collapsable AR stock to make it fixed.
I told him I'd only bring in the stock....the guy on the phone was confused and mumbled...."is this a gun that shoots real bullets?"

i'm not getting good feelings about NJ...:eek:

rubberneck
10-31-08, 13:10
New Jersey Question:

If you are from out of state isn't there some sort of provision that allows government employees to import their "assault weapons" from their home of record, similar to Calfornia? (fingerprints&serial numbers)

There is no provision in NJ law for that. I suspect Ca has one because of the number of military bases that call California home.

rubberneck
10-31-08, 13:13
holy crap, earlier i called a NJ gunshop to get a quote to pin a stock, they said they couldn't do it but they said Harry's Army Navy store might. I called them and asked if they could pin a collapsable AR stock to make it fixed.
I told him I'd only bring in the stock....the guy on the phone was confused and mumbled...."is this a gun that shoots real bullets?"

Try the Brick armory in Lakewood. They will be able to take of it for you. 732-364-3500.

zippygaloo
10-31-08, 13:57
Here's an option for having a fixed stock that doesn't look like A2 stock. Not sure if this is any help to you but...

ACE LTD. USA has the M4 SOCOM (http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/149181.jpg) (both Carbine and Rifle length) . There website information (http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_76&products_id=186) states

"The M4 SOCOM comes with extra hardware so that it can be set up as a push button quick adjustable stock for "pre-ban" or "exempt" use; or as an adjustable stock for post ban use! ( M4 SOCOM has not been approved by the BATF for post ban use )."

sjc3081
10-31-08, 14:51
Set the stock to your favorite position, drill a hole in the buffer tube and place a roll pin fixing the stock. When you leave NJ punch out the roll pin.

Shihan
10-31-08, 15:06
Leave them in the freezone here in AZ or take one gun with ypu and just switch the stock out.

MassMark
10-31-08, 15:11
Buy a Sully...Even if I could have a collapsable, I'd stick with this stock....

goodale
02-05-09, 20:28
edited out the sillyness---watch it

Mac5.56
02-05-09, 20:40
Set the stock to your favorite position, drill a hole in the buffer tube and place a roll pin fixing the stock. When you leave NJ punch out the roll pin.

I'm in NY and that is what they did to mine.

mmike87
02-06-09, 05:40
My suggestion would be to leave them in storage in a free state. Better that than mutilate them for NJ's law.

Ditto. Unless you plan on staying in Jersey, I wouldn't neuter a perfectly good rifle. Save them for when you go back to a Free State.

Pick up a cheap NJ compliant rifle to shoot while your're there, then sell it to the next victim when you leave.

mark5pt56
02-06-09, 06:59
I CLEANED UP SOME OF THE COMMENTS, LEFT ONE TO SHOW THE MINDSET OF ONE. NEXT ONE IS GONE FOR A WHILE IF NOT FOR GOOD.

AS STATED, THE POLICE IN THIS COUNTRY ARE NOT GESTAPO, FAR FROM IT.

JUST ANSWER THE GUYS QUESTION AND GIVE ADVICE ON HIS ISSUE AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Jaymce
02-06-09, 13:11
Similar laws in Ma. To pin the collapsible stock in Ma I think it is Bushmaster that just drills a 1/8 hole through the plastic where the M4 latch lever is attached and adds a roll pin (lever that lifts the positioning pin) disabling the lever. Easy enough to do with minimal damage. I do not know in NJ needs to be done by a gunsmith. In MA I do not believe there are any laws that state who has to pin the stock just that it has to be pinned.

stipilot
02-06-09, 13:41
I think somebody with some $$ needs to find a good lawyer to make a legal case that a stock with 4" adjustable length of pull is an adjustable stock and not a collapsible stock.

CarlosDJackal
02-06-09, 14:15
Why not just get one that has a fixed stock in the first place? I believe you can purchase a "Stubby" stock from Bushmaster or an "Entry" stock from RRA that will mount on a carbine tube.

Or maybe just buy a lower that does have a rifle tube and stock. The whole idea behind the collapsible stock is to collapse it for storage or adjust it to fit your body size and if wearing a vest. JM2CW.

Disciple
02-06-09, 18:24

Run. Fast.

goodale
04-04-09, 19:49
love it

sjc3081
04-04-09, 20:08
I think somebody with some $$ needs to find a good lawyer to make a legal case that a stock with 4" adjustable length of pull is an adjustable stock and not a collapsible stock.

They do it is the UBR. NY law bans telescoping and folding stocks on . The UBR is neither.

Cagemonkey
04-04-09, 20:32
They do it is the UBR. NY law bans telescoping and folding stocks on . The UBR is neither.How confident are you with this interpretation? Most states with AWB base their law on the 94 Fed. Ban. In think most in states with an AWB would be unwilling to take the risk.

sjc3081
04-04-09, 21:47
How confident are you with this interpretation? Most states with AWB base their law on the 94 Fed. Ban. In think most in states with an AWB would be unwilling to take the risk.

I'm not confident. But my three AR rifles are preban.

Bushmaster225
04-04-09, 22:07
Couple of things. Harry's suck! Only gun store that sells "evil black" rifles in Central Jersey. Brick I hear is a lot better

Ft Dix does have a nice Range for POW's. Range 14.

Just replace the stock. And no Jersey doesn't make exemption.