PDA

View Full Version : Army artillery hits target at 38 miles, doubling range

WillBrink
10-19-18, 16:14
'Murica :cool:

Army artillery hits target at 38 miles, doubling range

The Army has successfully fired a 155mm artillery round 62 kilometers (38.5 miles) - marking a technical breakthrough in the realm of land-based weapons and progressing toward its stated goal of being able to outrange and outgun Russian and Chinese weapons.

“We just doubled the range of our artillery at Yuma Proving Ground,” Gen. John Murray, Commanding General of Army Futures Command, told reporters at the recent Association of the United States Army Annual Symposium.

Currently, most land-fired artillery shot from an M777 Towed Howitzer or Self-Propelled Howitzer are able to pinpoint targets out to 30km (18.6 miles) - so hitting 62km marks a substantial leap forward in offensive attack capability.

Murray was clear that the intent of the effort, described as Extended Range Cannon Artillery, is specifically aimed at regaining tactical overmatch against Russian and Chinese weapons.

“The Russian and Chinese have been able to outrange most of our systems,” Murray said.

Citing the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a “wake-up call,” Murray explained that Russian weaponry, tactics and warfare integration caused a particular concern among Army leaders.

Cont:

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/major-breakthrough-army-artillery-hits-target-at-38-miles-doubling-range

markm
10-19-18, 16:22
I saw this on the facebook machine earlier. 13 Bravo!

kerplode
10-19-18, 16:26
Hell yeah...That's bad ass!

dwhitehorne
10-19-18, 16:30
I wouldn’t want to be the guy who puts in the wrong coordinates and launches a round 10 more miles out of bounds. David

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-19-18, 16:40
A 30km gun cover 2800sq.km. A 60km gun covers over 11,000sq.kms......

That's bigger than either CT or RI and almost as big as them put together.

Is this the billion dollar rounds that the Navy can't put enough on their ships?

mack7.62
10-19-18, 19:15
13 Echo! They did this by adding 6' to the tube, are they still using RAP rounds? Yep they are:

“The ERCA program develops not only the XM907 cannon but also products, such as the XM1113 rocket-assisted projectile, the XM654 supercharge, an autoloader, and new fire control system,” an Army statement said.

ABNAK
10-19-18, 20:06
Notice they admitted to shooting 38 miles...….wonder how far they can REALLY get?

flenna
10-19-18, 20:20
Notice they admitted to shooting 38 miles...….wonder how far they can REALLY get?

Same thought here. My BIL is a DD engineer for the Navy. We were visiting him in Norfolk and talking ships and said the same- they Navy admits it can do 36 knots. But they won't say how much over 36 knots it will do.

The_War_Wagon
10-19-18, 20:23
Cor-Bon rounds. :dance3:

Averageman
10-20-18, 02:16
I wonder how many rounds EFC the tubes can take? Added range means increased velocity and that wears gun tubes out faster.

mark5pt56
10-20-18, 05:48
Hah! 13F gets more tools, my buddy will love it. Hope these get fielded quickly for the boys.