PDA

View Full Version : nice sling.

St.Michael
10-31-08, 13:39
I know this has been done I am sure, but what kinda slings do you guys like and why? Sorry but I am totally new to this kinda stuff. :D

spamsammich
10-31-08, 13:58
I like BFG Vickers padded slings with QD swivels. For me, this has been the most comfortable and easy to use sling. It seems to be made for bigger dudes, but works pretty well for me with a RE endplate mounted swivel point.

YMMV.

St.Michael
10-31-08, 14:10
Thanks for the response. I am 6 foot 1 and weight in about 250. So I guess I am a bigger dude. LOL. Also do you use a 3 point or whatever it is? What is the issue with those? I am just looking for the most versatile for all around stuff. I plan on taking a class this summer and wouldn't mind if it could make it to the end of the world type deal either. LOL (zombies)

Sam
10-31-08, 14:16
The Vickers sling as well as other modern tactical slings are 2 points. Three points sling is 90s technology and have the drawback of having that part of the sling that goes across the weapon from front to back and get in the way of the operator trying to access the weapon controls on the left side (assuming the sling is rigged for a right handed shooter).

If you start off right with the Vickers sling, you won't regret it. Buy once and buy right.

Buck
10-31-08, 14:21
IMHO the best sling made is the Blueforce VCAS, and the least expensive functional sling is the KZ-Tac...

B

sff70
10-31-08, 14:53
After trying 1 pt, 3 pt, and other 2 pt slings, I found the VCAS to be the best, by far.

The padded version is worth the extra expense.

Shihan
10-31-08, 15:01
Thanks for the response. I am 6 foot 1 and weight in about 250. So I guess I am a bigger dude. LOL. Also do you use a 3 point or whatever it is? What is the issue with those? I am just looking for the most versatile for all around stuff. I plan on taking a class this summer and wouldn't mind if it could make it to the end of the world type deal either. LOL (zombies)

The 3 point slings just plain suck!

Shihan
10-31-08, 15:02
On my M4 type guns I use Gear Sector slings and Jason from there makes a fine product and I have recently started using the BF Vickers on my heavier guns.

No.6
10-31-08, 15:09
Blue Force Gear 2-point for sure. Be sure to get comfortable with it before TD1. Try different configurations and attachment points to find what works best for you. Seems like most of the people I know end up with it attached as close to the front and rear of the lower receiver as possible (rail and a swivel mount like a TD PR-4 or DD Burnsed Loop type).

Ryo
10-31-08, 16:01
I have the BFG single point, and it works great for me. Don't know how it compares to others, but I like it.

N4LtRecce
10-31-08, 16:14
VCAS, even on my AK

matthewdanger
10-31-08, 16:52
I have and use a few different 2-point slings.

The VCAS is my current favorite - Blue Force Gear quality and the simplest/fastest adjustment I have found. It is the standard. I have them on my two favorite rifles.

I also like the EMDOM Gunslinger quite a bit. It has some nice features like reinforcements in strategic places and a nice wide webbing strap (I don't care for padded slings but wide and flat is good). It also adjusts quickly in a similar manor to the VCAS.

The DSG/Blue Force Gear IDF slings are excellent as well. They don't offer the same level of fine adjustment as the ones above, but they do allow quick transitions to weak side and have Blue Force Gear quality built right in. The price is right too.

I have also been using a Gear Sector 2P on my truck carbine. It is VERY well made (1" tubular webbing through out with lots of bar tacks) and adjusts relatively easily. It adjusts quickly when tightening but it is a bit more cumbersome to loosen for transitions. It does however serve very well as an improvised shooting sling.

Well, I hope that quick and dirty run through helps you decide.

Steve in PA
10-31-08, 20:08
The 3 point slings just plain suck!

Nice answer, but it didn't answer the question.

They don't "just plain suck". A few years ago everyone wanted them. Now, because someone didn't like them, everyone is jumping on the "I hate 3-point slings" bandwagon.

I've used one for two years and have no complaints. The issue against the 3-point slings is that the piece that runs along the rifle is supposed to get hung up on gear, etc.

Never had this happen to me, but then again I don't go around dressed or geared up like a Marine going into battle.

msap
10-31-08, 20:25
I used a 3 point, I think it was Spec ops, for a while but the strap that rides along the upper receiver just got in the way of the controls on my rifle. It also seemed to aways get hung up on my chest rig, vest, pens, badge etc...So after some searching, I went withe BlueForcegear VCAS. It is very simple to adjust and there is nothing to get caught on my gear. I've been using it for over a year now and I love it. I have one on my patrol rifle and one on my personal 6920. Depending on your needs you will more than likely go through a few slings until you decide on the one. No one sling is perfect, they all ave some strong and weak points.

mark5pt56
10-31-08, 20:46
I rigged a VCAS to my bolt gun, works great in the tree stand. Of course they ride in my AR's as well!

frogger
11-01-08, 01:47
I use a Gear Sector single point sling and am very happy with it. It connects with an HK hook to an end plate adapter. I use the MI MCTAR-13 adapter on mine.

Shihan
11-01-08, 06:32
Nice answer, but it didn't answer the question.

They don't "just plain suck". A few years ago everyone wanted them. Now, because someone didn't like them, everyone is jumping on the "I hate 3-point slings" bandwagon.

I've used one for two years and have no complaints. The issue against the 3-point slings is that the piece that runs along the rifle is supposed to get hung up on gear, etc.

Never had this happen to me, but then again I don't go around dressed or geared up like a Marine going into battle.

I have used them for work and got stuck in them and have had them hook on places that it shouldnt so im my opinion they do suck. Even though you used one for 2 years did you use it daily, weekly, monthly?

SingleStacker45
11-01-08, 07:36
Ricght now the standard is a two point. I have a VCAS and a Viking tactics. Both work well. The Viking is easier to adjust but leaves you with a free running tail which some feel can get snagged easily. Viking's sling is more adjustable due to the tail. You really cant go wrong either way.

Mule

Robb Jensen
11-01-08, 10:30
For 2pt slings I like the BlueForceGear Vickers Combat Applications sling and for single point slings I like the Troy, BlueForceGear and the ZM Weapons bungee sling.

westcoastfrog
11-02-08, 01:17
a piece of one inch nilon with a single connection point has always run fine for me. i also like the old mp5 slings. honestly i'm not a big fan of all the "high speed" do everything slings...keep it simple

USMC03
11-02-08, 09:22
Of all the designs that I have used I prefer the Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling (VCAS) quick adjust 2 point sling over all others.

The quick adjustable 2 point sling (like the VCAS) have a combination of the pros of both of the single and 3 point sling, but very few of the "cons" of a single point sling or 3 point sling design.

The thing I like about the Blue Force Gear Vickers (VCAS) sling is the ability of placement on the gun. With a 3 point sling the front attachment is in the area of the front sight post and the rear attachment is on the rear of the stock. With a Single Point sling both the front and rear attachment are at the same location (generally), where the receiver extention (or stock) meets up with the lower receiver.

With the 2 point sling you can use several different location points. For the front attachment if you have a railed handguard you can place the front from as far forward as the front sight post or as far back as the delta ring or anywhere in between. With the rear attachment you can use either a Single Point Sling Plate or can attach it to the buttstock.

I perfer the front attachment of the sling near the delta ring (the location where the LaRue rails have the quick detach sling socket attachment hole) and the rear of the sling attached toward the rear of the buttstock.

The pro's of the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling is when the carbine is in the ready position, the VCAS gives you the freedom of movement of the single point sling, no extra straps to get in the way, doesn't get hung up on gear, etc.

In the down postion the gun lies diagonally across your body just like a 3 point. This makes walking easier, gun doesn't hit the shooter when he transitions to pistol. If performing tasks with your hands you can move the gun to your back and it retains well like a 3 point sling.

The adjustment on the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling is very quick and very easy. This lets the shooter have as much freedom or retention as he needs.

The only con that I have found is it's not as good to transition from one shoulder to the other with the Vickers sling (compared to a single point), but it's much easier than a 3 point.

The Blue Force Gear Vickers (VCAS) sling is the optimum sling for Patrol, SWAT, civilian or competition use in my opinion based on the different sling set ups that I have used over the years.

I've been using the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling on all of my AR's and Benelli shot guns for close to 3 years and I haven't found anything that I haven't liked about the VCAS sling yet.

If budget is an issue, take a look at the Blue Force Gear Victory Series VCAS. It's an economy version of the standard VCAS.

Padded VCAS:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Bravo%20Company%20Mid-Length/DPP_0094_edited.jpg

S/F,
Jeff

St.Michael
11-02-08, 10:15
Thanks guys. I am looking into them all and trying to pick one to try out now!

JSantoro
11-02-08, 12:27
a piece of one inch nilon with a single connection point has always run fine for me.

That was my 1-point solution for the longest time, and it worked great. I have to admit, though, once I was shown what a properly set-up 2-point can do for you, I've been sold.

mtsusean
11-02-08, 21:22
How do those Blue Force and Larue slings mount to a rail system? I see the Larue pic with the swivel, what attaches that to the rail, on a KAC for example?

St.Michael
11-03-08, 09:56
I have no idea. I think I might get a 2 piece and just rig it right behind the upper with both parts. I have seen some pics of it done like this and it looks like it might be a pretty good set up.

USMC03
11-03-08, 10:13
How do those Blue Force and Larue slings mount to a rail system? I see the Larue pic with the swivel, what attaches that to the rail, on a KAC for example?

With the newer style LaRue rails, there is a Quick Detach mount hole build into the rail. Look at the rail just forward of where the delta ring should be and you'll see the Quick Detach mounting hole in the rail:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/LMT%20SWAT%20Gun/DPP_0143.jpg

Using a QD (quick detach) sling swivel, the QD sling swivel plugs directly into the hole (both the rail and the Magpul UBR stock has attachment points for the QD sling swivel):

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Bravo%20Company%20Mid-Length/DPP_0097_edited.jpg

With the older style LaRue rails (that were made without the QD mount hole built into the rail) or KAC or other rails you have to get an aftermarket rail mounted sling swivel. Many companies make rail sling mounts. You can see a rail sling mount on this older LaRue rail:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Colt%206920%203x%20Magnifier/DPP_0016.jpg

Same gun in an older configuration. You can see how the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling attaches to the rail sling mount:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Colt%206920%203x%20Magnifier/IMG_0057a.jpg

S/F,
Jeff

St.Michael
11-03-08, 10:45
LOL holy crap jeff I just realized we are on the 1911 forum together too. I was just posting about your noveske rifles in the long rifle section.

I like the placement on the front of the upper right where the delta ring was, but I don't really know about having all the way at the end of the stock. What chest rig is that with the glock in it?

mtsusean
11-03-08, 22:34
So use something like this?

Push-Button Swivel & MWS Forend Rail Mount

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/products_pictures/push_button_swivel_98720.jpg