PDA

View Full Version : Primer Seating Resistance Comparison

Sage
10-31-08, 15:32
Has anyone noticed a little more resistance seating CCI 400 primers in .223 Rem Brass vs other primer brands? I noticed this between the CCI and Winchester WSP. The WSP seated mild compared to the 400.

That being said, is it worth the trouble to: instead of scraping those real easy seatings with the WSP primers, during the next reloading session I'm thinking about trying the CCI 400 in that Brass to see if they'll seat tighter. If that doesn't pan out, I'll mark them with a sharpie pen and scrap them the following go-round. :)

Sage

5pins
10-31-08, 16:01
Yes I have noticed that CCI primers have more resistance then other brands. I have noticed it when using a hand primer system like the one from Lee but not when loading on my Dillon.

Sage
10-31-08, 22:02
Yes I have noticed that CCI primers have more resistance then other brands. I have noticed it when using a hand primer system like the one from Lee but not when loading on my Dillon.

:D Exactly. Until last year I've only reloaded with a progressive Reloader. For the .223 Rifle I went to a single stage Reloader using the LEE hand held Priming Tool. I wasn't sure if it was coincidental or if something else was going on, but the other brand primers seat much easier.