PDA

View Full Version : SMOS Arms

adh
10-23-18, 18:34
Is SMOS still in business?
Asking because their site https://www.smosarms.com has been down for days.

Hammer_Man
10-23-18, 19:11
That's not good. I really like their stuff! You may want to try calling them? (541) 955-6548

Stickman
10-23-18, 19:25
Some transitional stuff going on, it will all be back up and running shortly. Not that I'm an official spokesman for anything, just what a little bird told me.

Hammer_Man
10-23-18, 19:43
Some transitional stuff going on, it will all be back up and running shortly. Not that I'm an official spokesman for anything, just what a little bird told me.

That's good to hear! I'm was planning on buying another one of their builder's sets.

adh
10-23-18, 21:05

Thanks for the heads up.

fledge
10-23-18, 21:35
It’s just a splash page, but looks like a nice reboot.

https://www.stubbornmule.com

tanktop
12-13-18, 09:14
Just checked, still down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fledge
12-13-18, 10:12
They are making parts for Oregon Rifle Works and Head Down Arms and others.

ORW was selling GFY sets for under $400 for BF. They may have a few left. You can buy SMOS made barrels directly from them too about 25% less than SMOS sold them directly.

Stickman
12-13-18, 11:37
Just wait a bit guys, there is a whole world of new stuff coming, but there are two thing I need to point out.

1. I’m not a spokesman for them, and don’t have much in the way of answers.

2. My understanding is that nothing is finalized at this point, and there are a few different options that are being explored.

I think most people are aware that SMOS has done a great deal of behind the scenes oem work for clients such as those mentioned about, as well as receivers and rails for Noveske and receivers for larue.

I can talk to them and see if they want any particular info released.

ccosby
12-13-18, 20:52
Anyone know whatever happened with them and dakota tactical? Last I heard of it was the public statement where DT was claiming that smos was using their IP.

Stickman
12-13-18, 20:59
Anyone know whatever happened with them and dakota tactical? Last I heard of it was the public statement where DT was claiming that smos was using their IP.

Yes I know, and it is all a moot point now as the problem persons are no longer at the mule causing trouble. They gone.

SeriousStudent
12-13-18, 21:24
Makes me think of Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction.....:ph34r:

"You stay gone, or you be gone."

JulyAZ
12-13-18, 23:28
Yes I know, and it is all a moot point now as the problem persons are no longer at the mule causing trouble. They gone.

The person that’s gone...E?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fledge
12-13-18, 23:35
Eager to hear an update, Stick, when you have one.

tanktop
12-14-18, 13:49
Oregon rifle works has SMOS builder kits in stock and the deal is better than you would hope for, I suggest you call them sooner than later!!!!!!

ccosby
12-14-18, 21:24

Anymore info that you can share? I understand if its info you shouldn't repeat.

Stickman
12-15-18, 19:42
Anymore info that you can share? I understand if its info you shouldn't repeat.

It isn’t info that I can’t discuss, but I don’t feel that it betters anything by me stating it. A poster above evidently knows who I mean.

To end things on a positive note, I’m happy to see what is going on with them right now, and when everything is made known with products and whatnot, it should be good. Sorry to be cryptic, but I don’t like running around posting negative things unless there is good reason.

TMS951
12-15-18, 23:47
What products were they selling that were contested to be Dakota Tacticals IP?

I have two reciever sets with rails I think are very nice.

tanktop
02-01-19, 17:48
And now Noveske’s website is down... any correlation?

Stickman
02-01-19, 19:13

Negative.

tanktop
02-01-19, 19:20
Negative.

I kind of figured with SMOS latest iteration of the GEN three but figured I’d ask anyways [emoji106]

tanktop
02-01-19, 19:25
I don’t even know the story but I think my GFY– 15 will be a collectors item someday. If not it won’t be the worst build ever

fledge
02-01-19, 19:47

You can thank Shopify’s hatred of the 2a for Noveske’s site going down. They will relaunch soo.

Hammer_Man
02-01-19, 21:27
I hope they reopen soon, I really could use a builder's set right now.

fledge
02-01-19, 21:47
I hope they reopen soon, I really could use a builder's set right now.

They will “soon,” they said. They publicly announced what happened and that they’ve had a site rebuild in the works to coincide with Shopify’s closing. Only Shopify accelerated their timeline without warning. You can get builder sets elsewhere, like at Rainier. The gen 4 was just released so those sets should be coming along soon too.

Iraqgunz
02-01-19, 23:44
I'll be with the SMOS people soon and I will see if I can get some info on stuff they are planning.

TMS951
02-02-19, 16:42
The stuff SMOS is making for Oregon rifle works looks super nice. Even nicer than the noveske styled stuff.

https://www.oregonrifleworks.com/shop/black-hand-guard

https://www.oregonrifleworks.com/shop/black-receiver-set

hfrog355
06-18-19, 09:52
I'll be with the SMOS people soon and I will see if I can get some info on stuff they are planning.

Update @Iraqgunz?

hfrog355
06-18-19, 09:53
The stuff SMOS is making for Oregon rifle works looks super nice. Even nicer than the noveske styled stuff.

https://www.oregonrifleworks.com/shop/black-hand-guard

https://www.oregonrifleworks.com/shop/black-receiver-set

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but do the ORW handguards have the anti-rotation pin above the gas tube?

fledge
06-18-19, 11:55
I'm assuming the answer is yes, but do the ORW handguards have the anti-rotation pin above the gas tube?

Yes they do.

hfrog355
06-18-19, 15:08
Yes they do.

Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Anyone have pics, just cause I'm curious?

Iraqgunz
06-18-19, 15:59
So basically everything being done now is OEM work and stuff for Era3. We didn't have much time to get into everything because I had a class to teach.

Update @Iraqgunz?

fledge
06-18-19, 16:35
Pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Anyone have pics, just cause I'm curious?

I’ve built two of their rifles. It’s a cross between the SM15 and the GFY but with lighting cuts. Top quality. Good price. Grab one of their barrels too. It’s match grade by SMOS from shilen blanks.

No pics available at the moment.

adh
06-18-19, 16:45
Brownells also now has SMOS/Era3 M-Lok handguards in stock and on sale at a pretty good price

fledge
06-18-19, 16:57
Brownells also now has SMOS/Era3 M-Lok handguards in stock and on sale at a pretty good price

Between one of those and the new SMOS upper receiver for $150 in the EE it would be the start of a solid upper at a budget price.

hfrog355
06-18-19, 19:49
I’ve built two of their rifles. It’s a cross between the SM15 and the GFY but with lighting cuts. Top quality. Good price. Grab one of their barrels too. It’s match grade by SMOS from shilen blanks.

No pics available at the moment.

Rail is the last thing I'm looking for. Going on an FCD upper with a Criterion barrel. The SageDynamics video of the SMOS rifle was pretty solid though, so I have no doubt the barrels are well done.

fledge
06-18-19, 21:06
Rail is the last thing I'm looking for. Going on an FCD upper with a Criterion barrel. The SageDynamics video of the SMOS rifle was pretty solid though, so I have no doubt the barrels are well done.

If you want a SMOS branded rail, I’d go to the great equalizer. Their are closing and their smos gfy rails are all well discounted.

https://www.thegreatequalizer.us/brands/smos-arms/

hfrog355
06-18-19, 21:20
If you want a SMOS branded rail, I’d go to the great equalizer. Their are closing and their smos gfy rails are all well discounted.

https://www.thegreatequalizer.us/brands/smos-arms/

I had seen those. The ORW rails are 7075 which seems worth it given they're only $35 more expensive.

TGE is closing or they're closing out SMOS stuff?

fledge
06-19-19, 08:16
I had seen those. The ORW rails are 7075 which seems worth it given they're only $35 more expensive.

TGE is closing or they're closing out SMOS stuff?

TGE is closing.

I would double check if ORW is 7075. I’ve found they aren’t always accurate with their descriptions when copy/pasting the info. If it is 7075, that would definitely be a unique standout offering. No doubt their upper/lowers are.

hfrog355
06-19-19, 12:12
I double checked and ORW confirmed the information on the site is not correct. The handguards are 6000 series aluminum, not 7000. While this isn't an overly shocking surprise and not a deal breaker, it is somewhat of a let down.

fledge
06-19-19, 12:49
I double checked and ORW confirmed the information on the site is not correct. The handguards are 6000 series aluminum, not 7000. While this isn't an overly shocking surprise and not a deal breaker, it is somewhat of a let down.

That’s a bummer. But what I suspected. Now the SMOS rails on sale look better too!

hfrog355
06-19-19, 14:16
That’s a bummer. But what I suspected. Now the SMOS rails on sale look better too!

They do. The 7075 was a big advantage for ORW though. With that gone, now I'm stuck between two things that usually make me bust out the wallet: a great deal (SMOS from TGE) and fancy new hotness (Triarc TRILOK).

fledge
06-19-19, 14:34
I’d do trilok if money isn’t an issue. That will pair well with the FCD upper. I have a hodge (and had a mega) which is similar but lacks the mlok points all around. The ORW and SMOS also lack mlok all around. The hodge is beefy.

Defaultmp3
06-19-19, 15:07
I’d do trilok if money isn’t an issue. That will pair well with the FCD upper. I have a hodge (and had a mega) which is similar but lacks the mlok points all around. The ORW and SMOS also lack mlok all around. The hodge is beefy.I thought the ORW handuards had 7 sides of M-LOK, or so some of their Facebook captions have said.

I have been told that SoLGW will be doing runs of the WedgeLock in 7075, though still the steel barrel nut.

fledge
06-19-19, 15:50
I thought the ORW handuards had 7 sides of M-LOK, or so some of their Facebook captions have said.

I have been told that SoLGW will be doing runs of the WedgeLock in 7075, though still the steel barrel nut.

They aren’t spec mlok, other than 3,6,9. The other locations are close to mlok and you can wedge mlok connections on it. I wouldn’t. I asked them about this directly when they first released them a way back. And this is what they told me personally and what I verified in hand.