PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Beretta, now what?

Pacific5th
10-28-18, 11:31
I’ve always wanted a Beretta 92. I shot one in the Marines once, one whole magazine. But I loved it. Plus it was in about every movie I watched growing up. I always meant to get one but there was always a reason not to. Either I could not find them or for the money I could get something else and other stuff. Lately I have found myself questions some of the guns I have and if I really liked them. I’m trying to enjoy what I have and not to just have a gun just because. Between a little extra money from work and selling off a few guns I had enough money to buy a couple guns I wanted including a Beretta 92.

Specifically I found a used NIB 92a1 at a local gun shop. Dude had bought it and never shot it. I picked it up for $550. I finally got to get it out and shot it yesterday. I was just shooting at some steel to make sure everything worked. I put 150 rounds through it. A mix of 115,124 FMJ and HP, and 147 FMJ and flat point. Everything went great with no issues.

Right off the bat I know I need to do the “D” spring to lighten the double action up. It’s smooth but so god damn heavy. I’ll also do the “G” conversion. I don’t have big hands but the size of the grip did not bother me. I might look into the vertec grips or maybe something else latter. I also noticed that is did not want to come out of my M12 holster. I know it wasn’t designed for a railed M9.

So any suggestions of anything else to look at with my Beretta? How about a different holster. It’s not going to be a carry gun but I probably will put a light on it and make it my house gun.

El Pistolero
10-28-18, 11:48
Maybe pick up a Gen 3 locking block and have it fitted and stored away for a spare, and more magazines. The D spring is a good upgrade.

Nightstalker865
10-28-18, 12:09
Congrats. The 92’s are fantastic shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
10-28-18, 13:05
Congrats! I have one just like it and it's a good shooter. The DA trigger pull is a bit much but it's smooth and crisp. (At least my sample.)

I need to do some mods to mine as well so I'm interested to hear what others have done to theirs.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-28-18, 13:48
The G conversion is the only thing that, in my opinion, is a "must do." The D spring is nice also. Don't fool around with the super high cap mags, they are generally a PITA to load. The 15s and 17s are good. Obviously some Nights sights and a light down the road.

SeriousStudent
10-28-18, 14:13
I have a 92 Vertec that has been tuned by Ernest Langdon. It's very, very sweet. I also like his grips.

https://www.langdontactical.com/ - something to think about down the road.

I definitely agree with Greg - the D spring and G conversion lever are very nice. I do that on all my Berettas.

MegademiC
10-28-18, 15:53
For holsters, my recommendations are safariland and Trex arms.

Sam
10-28-18, 16:20
I might look into the vertec grips or maybe something else latter..

A "Vertec" grips is not something you buy from a store or Amazon. The 92A1 has arched grip backstrap, the Beretta Vertec has a straight back strap. One company and only one company (Wilson Combat) is commercially doing grip conversion from the 92 arched style to the Vertec, by shaving off the metal on the back strap to the Vertec profile, and they're only doing that on the Brigadier Tactical that they sell. One just can't send any commercial 92 to them to do the conversion.

If a thinner grips is desired, Wilson Combat sell the ultra thin 92 G10 grips.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-G10-Grips-ULTRA-THIN-with-WC-Logo-Black-Cherry-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/728-FS-UT-BC/

Talon167
10-28-18, 16:51
I was going to say the G mod and D spring as well.

MecGar makes 18 & 20 round mags that are GTG. And Beretta makes a 30 round mag so gotta get at least one of those.

Straight Shooter
10-28-18, 17:02
SS recoil spring guide, 18lb Wolff recoil spring, D spring, Elite 2 hammer, make sure its got the latest locking block on the barrel, use FACTORY MAGS, you'll be good to go.

Pacific5th
10-28-18, 18:18
A "Vertec" grips is not something you buy from a store or Amazon. The 92A1 has arched grip backstrap, the Beretta Vertec has a straight back strap. One company and only one company (Wilson Combat) is commercially doing grip conversion from the 92 arched style to the Vertec, by shaving off the metal on the back strap to the Vertec profile, and they're only doing that on the Brigadier Tactical that they sell. One just can't send any commercial 92 to them to do the conversion.

If a thinner grips is desired, Wilson Combat sell the ultra thin 92 G10 grips.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-G10-Grips-ULTRA-THIN-with-WC-Logo-Black-Cherry-Beretta-92_96/productinfo/728-FS-UT-BC/

I did not mean the actual vertec frame, but I read where some have put the vertec grip panels on regular 92’s as a way of getting a thinner grip. I will look at the Wilson G10 thin grips though, thank you.

Uni-Vibe
10-28-18, 20:10
I had someone give me one, free and clear, with two hi-cap mags (during the Ban). I couldn't hit squat with it. That double-action first pull, and then the rest of 'em are single action, and the big fat handle. Lord-a-mercy.

Took it to a gun show. Traded straight across for a nice Browning Hi-Power. Instant wonderfulness.

Just my experience.

SeriousStudent
10-28-18, 20:11
Wilson and Langdon both make thin G10 grips with slightly different geometries. If you have a chance to do so, try both.

czgunner
10-28-18, 20:52
This is a pistol that I shouldn’t like because of my small hands, but I like anyway.
I just wish I could have a frame mounted safety.

RHINOWSO
10-28-18, 21:42
"I bought a Beretta, now what?"

Add ammo, shoot, repeat often.

Ron3
10-28-18, 23:43
Also, Mec-gar 18 rnd flush-fit mags work as well as factory.

hotrodder636
10-29-18, 09:16
As already mentioned; D spring, G conversion, Elite hammer. My “plain Jane” version, as in not my WC or LTT, has a Wolff trigger spring, D spring in it. With the WC trigger bar and other items mentioned, it is much nicer than I have felt on some factory models, close to the WC, not to the LTT though.

Sam
10-29-18, 09:45
I know lots of people recommend the famous "D" spring. It is an improvement over the hammer springs that they put in the FS models. But one can go a little better than the D spring. I've been told that the D springs are measured around 16 lb. I've used 13 lb. springs that you can order from several sources, Wolf/Wilson/Langdon tactical. They are a huge improvement, I've gotten smooth and lighter DA pull with 100% reliable ignition with all American factory ammo.

I've heard that the D spring is better at igniting harder primers, like those used in NATO military ammo and some European commercial rounds. I and many people have used the 13lb springs with good success.

thegreyman
10-29-18, 15:21
Congratulations! Great pistol. 13 or 14 lb. hammer spring. Check out Langdon Tactical for parts, grips (I prefer them), and tuning. I have factory Beretta 92 and LTT. Love to shoot them!

I know lots of people recommend the famous "D" spring. It is an improvement over the hammer springs that they put in the FS models. But one can go a little better than the D spring. I've been told that the D springs are measured around 16 lb. I've used 13 lb. springs that you can order from several sources, Wolf/Wilson/Langdon tactical. They are a huge improvement, I've gotten smooth and lighter DA pull with 100% reliable ignition with all American factory ammo.

I've heard that the D spring is better at igniting harder primers, like those used in NATO military ammo and some European commercial rounds. I and many people have used the 13lb springs with good success.

hile
10-29-18, 15:21
a G conversion is a must-do. Mine does not have it, and I find myself putting the damn thing on safe all the time.

RHINOWSO
10-29-18, 15:48
I you are serious about the best drop in Beretta trigger mod on the planet, far better than many custom Beretta Trigger jobs, spend $165 at get Earnest Landgon's "Trigger Job In A Bag".

https://www.langdontactical.com/trigger-job-in-a-bag-beretta-92-series/

G-conversion is great to do at the same time, as well as LTT grips and MecGar Flush 18rd mags. I also added a Beretta OEM extended magazine release.

Great guns

Pacific5th
10-29-18, 16:40
Thank you for all the suggestions and help. I will be looking into ordering up some stuff soon. I wish I could just buy and keep stuff stock but I like tweaking and tinkering to much.

hotrodder636
10-29-18, 18:28
Hotrods and guns, you can individualize until you are out of money ;)

SeriousStudent
10-29-18, 20:17
I you are serious about the best drop in Beretta trigger mod on the planet, far better than many custom Beretta Trigger jobs, spend $165 at get Earnest Landgon's "Trigger Job In A Bag".

https://www.langdontactical.com/trigger-job-in-a-bag-beretta-92-series/

G-conversion is great to do at the same time, as well as LTT grips and MecGar Flush 18rd mags. I also added a Beretta OEM extended magazine release.

Great guns

The trigger job in a bag is very nice, and I almost went that route. I already had a PX4 to send in, so I just threw in another pistol.

RHINOWSO
10-29-18, 20:34
The trigger job in a bag is very nice, and I almost went that route. I already had a PX4 to send in, so I just threw in another pistol.

Yeah, for someone who doesn't want to / can't deal with the hassle of shipping a firearm, it's great. And honestly the 92 is easy to work on, the online videos made it very comfortable to do the install. That and the G-conversion took me maybe 60 minutes of going slow, watching the video, working on it, watching the video, etc. I'm sure a skilled person with some familiarity with the 92 would take <30 minutes.

Pappabear
10-29-18, 21:02
Good gun, good upgrades. I sent mine to WC and got it tweaked. Lotta potential for you.

PB

SeriousStudent
10-29-18, 21:05
Yeah, having an extra hand really helps with the G lever install. The rest of it's not very hard. I did a upgrade for a Beretta 92FS that I bought for my nephew as an end of tour gift. The only thing that took a while was that G lever with all the detents, ball bearings, flux capacitors and so forth.

Don Quijote
10-29-18, 21:24
I'm going to suggest a case of 1K rounds of 9 mm and get busy learning a double action trigger, if this is your first DA/SA pistol.

SW CQB 45
10-29-18, 23:37
I bought this piece. Its the best fitting and smoothest trigger press Beretta I have ever held. I carried SW Performance Center in the late 90s.....the trigger on this one is outstanding compared to that piece. I ordered and 12 and 11 pound mainspring to play with. The slide to frame fit is tight. It was hard to rack when I first got it. Still snug but loosened up a tad after 130 rounds. my qual target has a left drift. The front sight is .021" to the right from center. I will eventually tap it center.

I plan to work this out during the cooler months.

https://i.imgur.com/lyUanQd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n3pd6Kf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I2SUdoZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RwbLOWk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9ppmZ7b.jpg

Hammer_Man
10-30-18, 00:00
All you need to do is buy lots of 9mm NATO, and shoot often.

Bart Noir
10-30-18, 14:32
CQB, that serial number is all kinds of cool. But I guess LTT has a software engineer in the firm, if the first serial number was 000. The rest of the world makes the first of anything No. 1. Anyway, very nice pistol.

Bart Noir

SW CQB 45
10-30-18, 16:00
Bart,

I wiped out the last 3 numbers on my serial number on the image.

If you scroll to post #568 below...you can see the start of the serial number sequence.

You need to get you one. I shot a 92F and had an M9A1 where the sharp edge on the frame cut my hand webbing when firing. This one does not.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21095-Beretta-introducing-a-Langdon-Tactical-92!/page57

Talon167
10-30-18, 19:55
Yeah, having an extra hand really helps with the G lever install. The rest of it's not very hard. I did a upgrade for a Beretta 92FS that I bought for my nephew as an end of tour gift. The only thing that took a while was that G lever with all the detents, ball bearings, flux capacitors and so forth.

I've got a G conversion kit on order right now. I watched MR.G&G's video and it doesn't look too bad. I've taken a P30 and USP frame completely apart, how hard could the Beretta be?! Famous last words.

MountainRaven
10-31-18, 01:52
I've got a G conversion kit on order right now. I watched MR.G&G's video and it doesn't look too bad. I've taken a P30 and USP frame completely apart, how hard could the Beretta be?! Famous last words.

Berettas are not particularly difficult to detail strip (although, as mentioned, the G models can be fun, the FS models are easy-peasy). And I'd bet that the P30 and USP are a good deal more complicated than the Beretta is.

ramairthree
11-01-18, 02:17
Enjoy and shoot it a lot.

All metal DA/SA guns designed in the 70s may not have some of the claims to fame as more recent designs,
But when you optimize the trigger they are soft shooting, accurate, reliable, and can hold their own or out perform many newer models.

Dorsai
11-03-18, 11:25
I recently picked up a very lightly used 92FS for about $270 (there were extras, so that is the value of the gun). This was an important factor in the mods I chose because it is very easy to do enough to the gun that buying a Langdon or Wilson Combat at the beginning is more economical. As others have said, the factory G conversion and a 13lb mainspring are probably the best and cheapest mods you can do and it's less than $60. There are good videos on doing the G conversion and it took me about 20 minutes. If you want a thinner grip, I highly recommend the Wilson Combat ultra thin grips. They are made for Wilson by VZ Grips. I did a lot of searching for price and also whether the ultra-thin was available as a VZ option without the WC logo. I couldn't confirm that I could get the ultra-thin configuration other than the WC grips, and the difference was only about $8, so I bought a set on Ebay. They are worth the money for the improved feel!

I also opted to get the Langdon trigger-job-in-a-bag and for me, it was an improvement, but not nearly as much as just the mainspring. Because I had so little invested in the gun to start, it was worth it.

Steel parts. Newer Berettas have polymer/plastic triggers, recoil spring guides and magazine releases. My older one had all steel parts, so I didn't have to replace those. I did opt to get the WC short reach trigger, but it wasn't totally necessary. I also got the WC extended checkered mag release. It is hugely superior to the stock magazine release. It is far easier to reach than the stock, but it doesn't stick out so much that it can be activated by setting the gun down, or pushing against something in the holster. The downside is changing it. The Beretta design of the mag release is easily the most difficult of any gun I've ever worked on. It took a couple of seconds to pop out the old one, and 20+ minutes of fiddling to get the new one in. Not the fault of the WC mag release, it was the Beretta design.

I've got about $600 invested in the gun now, which is roughly comparable to buying a new one, so economically, I'm in good shape. I think think the Langdon and WC guns are very good and prices on Gunbroker are good. If you are looking at getting a Beretta and you are considering more than just a G conversion and $8 mainspring, look at the Langdon and WC. Especially if you like the shorter Elite II barrel. They are very hard to find. Langdon doesn't use the Brigadier slide so his guns are less expensive than a WC and they don't need a Brigadier specific holster like the Wilson. But now we're getting into subjective desires for a look vs. function. Both are very good and if you've never felt the improvement in trigger pull, you need to. They make it a totally different gun. I've had a negative opinion on the Beretta 92 series for decades, and the heavy DA trigger pull and safety were the largest part of that. The mods discussed blow those issues away. My final thoughts are this. Remember the 80/20 rule when you are modding the gun. You'll get 80% of the improvement with 20% of your mod dollars. If you want that final 20% of improvement, you'll spend the remaining 80% to do so.

SeriousStudent
11-04-18, 12:16
Dorsai - good to see you posting here. Let me know the next time you are back in Texas. :)

Pacific5th
11-04-18, 20:57
God stuff Dorsai. Maybe because of my lack of sleep but I’m confused, did you find the Ultra Thin VZ girls wothout the WC logo?

SeriousStudent
11-05-18, 21:56
God stuff Dorsai. Maybe because of my lack of sleep but I’m confused, did you find the Ultra Thin VZ girls wothout the WC logo?

I'm not Dorsai, but I believe them came from here: https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/beretta-92