PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint NewB?

Shotdown
10-31-08, 21:40
I'm fairly new to optics and have a dumb question. I was setting up my Aimpoint M2 on a Larue LT-150 mount. I moved the red dot and co-witnessed it above the FSB with the rear sight (I'll properly sight it in soon). My question is, now that it's set to the top of the FSB, will I have to line up the red dot with the FSB when I shoot? Or is it going to impact the target where ever the red dot is in the scope?

grinchcop
10-31-08, 23:10
If you used the iron sights to initally set zero for the red dot (as long as your irons were zeroed), you should be reasonably close.

Once it's sighted in, the point of aim of the dot = point of impact, without regard to where the dot is in relation to the perceived location of the front sight post as you look through the sight. Once you get out past 25 yards or so, it's amazing how much you can move around and still keep the "dot" on the target and still get the exact same point of impact. Doesn't really encourage a proper cheek weld, to be sure. This really gives the impression, based on where the front sight post has moved to, that the irons and red dot aren't really aligned (an illusion).

Hope this helps.....I've been up many hours and this has been interrupted 3 times by trick-or-treaters!

spamsammich
10-31-08, 23:38
watch all of these movies

http://www.downrange.tv/show2/

Shotdown
11-01-08, 02:49
If you used the iron sights to initally set zero for the red dot (as long as your irons were zeroed), you should be reasonably close.

Once it's sighted in, the point of aim of the dot = point of impact, without regard to where the dot is in relation to the perceived location of the front sight post as you look through the sight. Once you get out past 25 yards or so, it's amazing how much you can move around and still keep the "dot" on the target and still get the exact same point of impact. Doesn't really encourage a proper cheek weld, to be sure. This really gives the impression, based on where the front sight post has moved to, that the irons and red dot aren't really aligned (an illusion).

Hope this helps.....I've been up many hours and this has been interrupted 3 times by trick-or-treaters!
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

Shotdown
11-01-08, 02:50
watch all of these movies

http://www.downrange.tv/show2/

Seen them yesterday but will watch it again. Maybe I missed something. Thanks

Update: Finally understand the video.