PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: fratricide in active shooter incidents

butlers
10-30-18, 14:09
All,

I wanted to revisit the topic of possible fratricide in a citizen response to an active shooter incident. Here are some quotes to start us off:

One valuable piece of advice a good friend who's a (very pro 2nd Amendment) BATFE agent gave was if you have to shoot, reholster or put the weapon the ground afterwards. Arms up, and wallet with ID in the air, plainly visible. His theory was that LEOs will subconsciously identify you as possibly an LEO showing his badge. Those few seconds of pause could save your life. Makes sense to me.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?89472-Identifying-CCW-in-an-active-shooter-situation

You have sound logic there, however, anyone with a gun can be mistaken for the shooter. This is a bit of a side not but the Texas shooter is one instance that reinforces my emphasis on not looking too “tactical” during some sort of crisis. I️ think the less “tactical” type gear you have on the better. The church shooter was wearing the full giddy up, hence, wearing gym shorts and a t shirt makes you look much less like perpetrator, unlike someone dressed head to toe in Crye. I️ read an article a while back by Pat McNamara on the topic and he stated that he includes a neon safety vest in his active shooter kit to set him self apart from a shooter.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?201846-Thoughts-for-an-active-shooter-rig

If you are not a properly uniformed LEO or cannot be identified as one of the good guy in a micro seconds glance, then you are a DEAD man standing in front of me or my partners. The extreme degree of difficulty in Target Discrimination is bad enough on the streets, add in the factor of a school of running screaming kids and adults popping around corners etc...... OMG!!!! If you are an armed citizen in that scenario you had better worry more about the Trained Shooters mistaking you for a bad guy, than the bad guy getting you. When I am off duty I carry my M4 with me often, and in the case right next to it is my "SHERIFF" raid vest for identification.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?27039-Active-shooter-response-w-long-guns

For the first responders here, let's say you're rolling up to an active shooter incident. You have limited information; you just know that shots have been fired at the local elementary school and people are down.

You stack up, go through the front door, button-hook left, and see this:

https://i.imgur.com/daExA2h.jpg
(images from AmmoLand (https://www.ammoland.com/2011/11/the-high-port-right-tool-for-the-right-job/) and SpecialTactics (https://specialtactics.me/home/2016/8/17/debate-1-low-ready-vs-high-ready))

Alternatively, you see this:

https://i.imgur.com/l09omT0.jpg
(images from IMFDb (http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Town,_The#Remington_870) and a private blog (http://blog.olegvolk.net/2014/03/05/low-ready/))

Does the low profile of the second pair give responding officers that "few seconds of pause", since the "less tactical" appearance of their firearms, clothes, and demeanor might be captured in a "micro-seconds glance"?

We know that the appearance/perception of a weapon affects juries:
http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/09/will-it-hurt-me-in-court-weapons-issues-and-the-fears-of-the-legally-armed-citizen/

Is the same true for law enforcement? Responding to an active shooter situation undoubtedly takes courage and dedication, but at the end of the day, police officers are still human. Could Pittsburgh (2018), Parkland (2018), Sutherland Springs (2017), Las Vegas (2017), Orlando (2016), San Bernardino (2015), etc. all have created a knee-jerk mental/visual association between AR-15s and mass shooters (not just for the media, but for first responders, too)?

And if it has, should that phenomenon influence weapons selection by non-LEOs who might intervene in an active shooting (e.g. are we better off responding with a deer rifle then a black rifle)? We modify our Glocks and ARs without a moment's hesitation if we think it'll give us even the slightest mechanical advantage. If a traditional/low profile gives us even a 5% psychological advantage (i.e. a responding LEO is less likely to think that we're the bad guy), isn't that more important than undercutting the trigger guard or stippling a grip?

P.S. I know, I know: the historical consensus has been that if you decide to respond to an active shooter incident, you will do so with what you have on you (e.g. your CCW pistol). Running outside to your car to retrieve your trunk gun and then confronting the threat with said rifle/carbine/shotgun is a fantasy.

But maybe it's not so fanciful after all?

Scenario #1: "'In 2011 and 2012, Mr. Farook and Mr. Marquez planned...a rush-hour attack on State Route 91, a busy freeway.'....Consider a heavily traveled urban freeway...all it would take would be a terrorist driving a truck to simply turn the vehicle sharply and block all lanes of a traffic, perhaps having a similarly equipped accomplice do the same thing some distance behind....The terrorists could now dismount and shoot with impunity at the people in all of the stranded, boxed-in cars....In such a scenario, as long as you weren’t one of the closest cars to the terrorists, you might have time to access your stored long gun, make it ready, and then engage the terrorists with equivalent firepower and, more importantly, effective range."
https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/the-truck-gun-and-active-shooter-scenarios-tactical-fantasy-vs-legitimate-applications/

Scenario #2: "Just as Willeford reached the front yard of Fred and Kathleen Curnow, whose house faces the church entrance, a man wearing black body armor and a helmet with a visor emerged from the church. Willeford scrambled behind the front tire of Fred’s Dodge Ram. The gunman raised his pistol and fired three times. One bullet hit the truck. One hit the Dodge Challenger parked behind him. One hit the house. Willeford propped his AR-15 on the pickup’s hood and peered through the sight. He could see a holographic red dot on the man’s chest. He fired twice. He wasn’t sure he’d hit him, though he was later told that the man had contusions on his chest and abdomen consistent with getting shot while wearing body armor. Regardless, the gunman stopped shooting and ran for a white Ford Explorer that was idling outside the chapel, roughly twenty yards from where Willeford had positioned himself."
https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-mass-murder/

dwhitehorne
10-30-18, 14:26
Good points. I went through and Active Threat Instructor course a few years ago. There was a NYPD officer in the class. He had the most clearly identified police raid jacket I have seen in person. Big yellow letters down both sleeves. One of the scenarios was blue on blue. Two different people shot at him rounding the doorway.

Prince George’s county PD has a trial going on right now in the news of a suspect shooting at a police station. Plain clothes narcotics detective responded to the scene and was killed in the parking lot by uniformed officers. The detective was wearing the exact same clothing description that went out over the radio.

A read all these posts online of people setting up their rifles or a truck gun. No way I’m touching a long gun in public when I’m not in uniform. I even keep glow vests in the trunks of my car if I have to take any public action. David

dwhitehorne
10-30-18, 14:26
Argh. Double tap

kerplode
10-30-18, 14:44
I'm just a normal schmuck from the internet, but I still suspect this is the right answer:

If you are standing around in the area of an active shooter call holding ANYTHING that looks even remotely like a weapon, you will be shot by responding LEOs.

SteyrAUG
10-30-18, 15:19
In FL is seemed that about every 5 years a plain clothes officer (shirt, tie, slacks w/ neck chain badge) was shot or shot at responding to a armed incident involving somebody shooting at police officers.

It's getting tricky.

C-grunt
10-30-18, 15:44
No matter what you are wearing you are taking a huge risk once LE shows up. Cops occasionally shoot other cops in full uniform during hectic scenes.

I went through a full day of active shooter training a couple weeks ago. Really good training actually. Took place at a local mega church and had actors and the bad guys were using real AKs fitted with blank adapters. Anyways during one of the power point presentations they had a video debrief of the San Berrnandino shooting. The first officer on scene was a desk Lieutenant who oversaw IT stuff, that was getting coffee at the nearby Starbucks. Second officer was a detective. They said something to the effect of "If you were getting together a Dream Team to go inside, we were the last ones you would pick".

It would be great if the SWAT team was nearby eating lunch when these things kick off. But much more likely you are going to get whoever is closest from patrol. It could be the guy that is a former Green Beret and is training his ass off to get onto SWAT, or it could be the guy who is known for always failing qual and leaves his gun in his locker. And Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees it's probably going to be the second guy and the one time in his career he makes a first round hit at distance will be when he fires a round at you, thinking you're the killer.

Personally If it kicks off when Im off duty and nearby, I will do what I can to stop the killer. However I am fully aware that I may be shot by responding officers.

Krazykarl
10-30-18, 16:16
As a firefighter/EMT we do everything that we can to not look like a LEO. The uptick in violence from the BLM terrorists against LEO's caused my department to ban badge shirts while on duty. The chiefs thought that the badge shirt made us look too much like cops. The reality is that now we all look like a bunch of guys dressed in dark blue trousers and T shirts regardless of a weapon belt or med bag. During rescue task force training with our LEO's, our only distinguishing identification in the shoot house was the outline of our helmets.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-30-18, 16:21
If there was a situation where I had to intervene to stop a shooter, I would be putting my gun away as soon as the shooting stopped and the guy was neutralized. I would not want to be standing there holding a gun of any kind when the SWAT team shows up. I would also be worried about getting shot by another bystander. Who's who is not always cut and dry during these events. I have 2 relatives who were at the Vegas concert when people around them began getting shot. They had no idea where the shots were coming from and they remember a lady screaming "THERE'S THE SHOOTER" and pointing to one of the event staff who was holding one of those trash sweeper things.

While there may be scenarios where a civilian would be able to access a chest rig or plate carrier and a rifle, I tend to think that they are very few and far in between. I would love to hear some realistic situations where this is not only feasible but practical. Leaving a mall and going to your vehicle and kitting up isn't what I'd consider likely but I'm all ears if you think I can be convinced otherwise. A situation like the Sutherland Springs Baptist church shooting is one that comes to mind if you're sitting home in your recliner and something starts popping off next door, but even then I'm not sure outside of a bandoleer or something similar that taking the time to put on a chest rig or plate carrier is going to be practical.

Det-Sog
10-30-18, 17:59
The first officer on scene was a desk Lieutenant who oversaw IT stuff, that was getting coffee at the nearby Starbucks. Second officer was a detective. They said something to the effect of "If you were getting together a Dream Team to go inside, we were the last ones you would pick".

As a former Defective... I firmly resemble that remark.

Personally If it kicks off when Im off duty and nearby, I will do what I can to stop the killer. However I am fully aware that I may be shot by responding officers.

Even though I'm permanently 10-7 now, I'll be right behind you. REMEMBER, I'm the ugly bald guy that looks like Walter White from Breaking Bad. Hopefully the mess is cleaned up before the responding officers arrive... If not... I'll hear something to the tune of "Drop the BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!"

Seriously, if ever caught in one of these scenarios, my plan will be to disarm at first sight of a responding officer. I would not want to draw their attention away from the actual threat

Bulletdog
10-30-18, 18:02
There are far too many variables to answer this question with any reasonable certainty. Totally depends on the officer too. All of them are human, and some of them are simply better at assessing a crazy situation on the fly than others. Involving yourself in any active shooter scenario is risking your life. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter how you are dressed or what you are carrying. Doesn't matter if you are on-duty LE, off-duty LE, or a good samaritan non-LEO.

Each of us will decide whether or not to jump in, and the billions of variables will determine what we do, how we do it, and when we do it. Some of us have more life preserving sense than others here, and some of us are just plain lucky too. Or unlucky as the case may be...

docsherm
10-30-18, 19:40
Really? Didn't we have a thread a few months as go about cops shooting a guy in his own home that had a gun? If cops show up they would shoot the pope if he had a squirt gun.

I am not trying to be a jerk here but that is the reality of it. Most of the time those that respond are not the super cool FBI HRT....... they are part time SWAT guys trying to do their best.

flenna
10-30-18, 19:53
Really? Didn't we have a thread a few months as go about cops shooting a guy in his own home that had a gun? If cops show up they would shoot the pope if he had a squirt gun.

I am not trying to be a jerk here but that is the reality of it. Most of the time those that respond are not the super cool FBI HRT....... they are part time SWAT guys trying to do their best.

This sums it up nicely. When the police show up have nothing in your hands, your hands away from your body and don't make any sudden moves.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-30-18, 21:08
The bigger issue is that it seems that a lot of cops still think gun=badguy . I'm far more worried about a regular interaction going sideways than the chance that I'm at an AS incident. It is something to think of, and I hope it makes it into the LEO AS training.

SteyrAUG
10-30-18, 21:10
As a firefighter/EMT we do everything that we can to not look like a LEO. The uptick in violence from the BLM terrorists against LEO's caused my department to ban badge shirts while on duty. The chiefs thought that the badge shirt made us look too much like cops. The reality is that now we all look like a bunch of guys dressed in dark blue trousers and T shirts regardless of a weapon belt or med bag. During rescue task force training with our LEO's, our only distinguishing identification in the shoot house was the outline of our helmets.

That's kinda sad / scary. What about EMTs who don't wear helmets? I know of a couple instances where they wanted to go "help now" while there was still shooting going on because an officer or somebody else immediately visible was hit. They got held back, but some of them really thought about saying "screw it I'm going."

THCDDM4
10-30-18, 21:59
This is absolutely a "luck of the draw" scenario. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

You could do everything "right" and still catch some lead. You could do everything wrong and may come away unscathed.

Good to have a plan, but also realize there are just too many variables and what ifs.

Hands visible and no perceivevable aggressive movements if you're lucky enough to see and process what's happening In time to do so. Situational awareness is key but only goes so far. Shit goes down and you react according to training and the specific moment.

You may think a threat is neutralized and out down your firearm to find another thr at present itself and be screwed. You may hesitate and keep the firearm in your hands and another CCW or LEO fires at you.

My choice given a blank/generic set of circumstances is to neutralize immediate threat, get to cover/concealment (if possible) ASAP and asses further threats and options from there.

diving dave
10-31-18, 10:20
The state I live in (Montana) I'm more concerned with other CCW holders thinking I might be the bad guy in a critical incident if the blaster comes out.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-31-18, 10:58
The state I live in (Montana) I'm more concerned with other CCW holders thinking I might be the bad guy in a critical incident if the blaster comes out.

Agreed. One place where I would definitely not be too worried about it would be a small church setting where everyone knows me. Even then, once the guy is down or has fled the scene, I'm not gonna be holding a gun when the cops roll in.

horseman234
11-12-18, 18:37
Officer shoots armed security guard outside of Chicago bar who had apprehended a shooter

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multiple-wounded-in-robbins-bar-shooting-police-say/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5be90a0c04d3010e98049d31&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

MountainRaven
11-12-18, 23:40
Officer shoots armed security guard outside of Chicago bar who had apprehended a shooter

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/11/multiple-wounded-in-robbins-bar-shooting-police-say/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5be90a0c04d3010e98049d31&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Shoots and kills armed security guard who had apprehended a shooter.

flenna
11-13-18, 05:56

You are better off letting the bad guy run off than holding him at gunpoint. If you have a gun in your hand when the police arrive you are a dead man.