PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie needs your advice

Hoot
10-31-08, 21:49
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm here because most of the folks on the forum seem to be quite knowledgeable, and I need a little guidance.

I carried an M16 as an issue weapon for over twenty years. But that was a long time ago. I am a life-long gun enthusiast and have a large number of guns of most types, but I don't have an EBR; however, with the likelihood of an Obamination in the White House, I figure I ought to get one while I can. The trouble is there are so many makers in the game that I have no idea which way to turn.

I would like to keep the cost in the $800-$1000 range. I don't want to build my own. There may not be time! I've recently looked at a Rock River, but my untrained eye couldn't tell me much.

Decent accuracy is a must. I recently sold my Mini14 because it couldn't reliably hit a gallon jug at 100 yards. I can live with 2 moa. Reliability is a must. And I would like to have a fairly good trigger even if it is a two stage.

I have a can or two of 55gr. old but quality mil. ammo that the gun should be happy with and has the proper twist to shoot it accurately. I assume that a one in nine twist would be optimal for the 55 grain bullet. Is this correct? I have an older Kimber bolt gun in .223 and it has that twist.

Because I'm 75 I'll probably want to mount an optic but I'd like the option of iron sights just in case.

I'd prefer the carbine version but that is not mandatory.

I live in the sticks with a great many pests and predators. I have bolt and lever guns that are well suited for their control. So I don't really need an AR. But it is an uncertain world, and I think I should have one. Just because.

Now relying on your experience and knowledge, tell me what are my three best choices (makers) and the three I want to shy away from. And I will really appreciate the benefit of your expertise.

jakerudy
10-31-08, 22:42
I'm certainly not an expert and can't rate top or bottom 3. Having said that I have a couple of S&W M&P's and think they are a good buy in your price range. My Optics Ready and Tactical models are reliable, well made, and accurate enough for me to carry it around.

I like my Colt 6920 better but can't say anything bad about the S&W.

frogger
10-31-08, 23:20
I don't think I have had enough experience with enough brands to give you the top 3 and bottom 3. I can tell you this...

1. Avoid Olympic Arms like the plague.
2. RRA is not great, but could be a decent base to upgrade later considering your budget.
3. Bushmaster... same comments as RRA.
4. I have no personal experience with them, but I have never heard anything bad about the new models from S&W.

The best are out of your price range, but I think you can definitely find what you are looking for. I know you want to avoid building, but if you buy a complete LMT lower and a complete BCM Middy upper, they just snap together and that would probably be the best bang for the buck in your price range.

SwatDawg15
10-31-08, 23:45
I own a S&W M&P15, and It works for me for a patrol rifle, ect. Its in your price range and it will come out the box GTG. You may or may not want to spend a few extra dollars upgrading a few componets to get close to a Colt or LMT... Now that said if you can swing a couple hundred more, go ahead and get the colt or lmt.

What ever you decide on, read this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

and here is a chart: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642