PDA

View Full Version : Lower to upper fit = too tight

QuickStrike
11-01-08, 05:43
So I tried a new Noveske lower with a Noveske upper I bought a long time ago...

I had to use a plastic mallet to get the take down pin in, then I also need a punch + mallet to unhinge the lower for cleaning.

Any tips on how to loosen the fit? :confused:

Edit: I know shooting it a lot would probably loosen things up, but... that would have to be LOTS of shooting!

Shihan
11-01-08, 06:43
The more you take it down the quicker it will loosen.

SW-Shooter
11-02-08, 22:30
It beats having to use a rubber POS extra. I'd be happy with the perfect fit. Tight= no rattle.

QuickStrike
11-03-08, 01:18
It beats having to use a rubber POS extra. I'd be happy with the perfect fit. Tight= no rattle.

There is no trace of light between the halves. Kind of an annoyance when field stripping, but not that big of a deal. I'll just bring along a punch and plastic mallet everywhere the rifle goes.

I HAVE thought about filing something, but.. :o

MisterWilson
11-03-08, 07:18
Just shoot it. It'll loosen up as you go.

OldNavyGuy
11-03-08, 08:35
[QUOTE=QuickStrike;242545
I HAVE thought about filing something, but.. :o[/QUOTE]

i had one like that too, once i figgered out where to file, (in my case it was the bottom of the rear take down lug) i removed some (READ: VERY LITTLE) material and i had an upper and lower that had a very snug fit, after a few hundred rounds the rear take down pin was easily pushed in and out.

GONIF
11-03-08, 12:59
Like said B4 shoot it and it will be better in a while .

Kilo 1-1
11-03-08, 13:15
So I tried a new Noveske lower with a Noveske upper I bought a long time ago...

I had to use a plastic mallet to get the take down pin in, then I also need a punch + mallet to unhinge the lower for cleaning.

Any tips on how to loosen the fit? :confused:

Edit: I know shooting it a lot would probably loosen things up, but... that would have to be LOTS of shooting!

I had the same problem originally with my AR. As others said, it will loosen up slowly over time. But if you're in a hurry, apply CLP at the tabs of the upper receiver (where there will be 'contact' with the lower). You can also apply a little bit on the take down pins as well. You'd be surprised how big a difference this makes.

WS6
11-07-08, 15:08
shoot it. If you MUST! *file*, use a high-grit sand-paper. You can always take more off, never put some back though.

Sanjuro
11-09-08, 16:48
This sounds indicative of very wide variances in allowed tolerances. I wouldn't be happy.