PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 517

lanceriley
11-01-08, 10:07
somebody offered me the Eotech 517. non NVG version of the Eotech 557.

When mounted on the flat top it will have a lower 1/3 co-witness.

Anybody have any experience with this. I was going to aimpoint since I have astigmatism and older versions of the Eotech were difficult to sight in with my eyes since they were already pixelated and my eyes made them worst.

How is the dot? still pixelated?
Heard that eotechs were having qc problem.

Buck
11-01-08, 10:41
Currently there are very few sources for the 517... Here are the specs...

LINK (http://www.botachtactical.com/eo517ho.html)

Use the code "buckeotech" for an extra 10% off...

B

lanceriley
11-01-08, 18:14
does anybody know if they're any good? so far i've read this forum and I'll i get is bashing of eotechs.

SwatDawg15
11-03-08, 13:43
does anybody know if they're any good? so far i've read this forum and I'll i get is bashing of eotechs.

Well, i wouldent say bashing. More that the facts that aimpoints are better fighting optics. If you dont use your rifle everyday to protect yourself and people, then an eotech is fine. They are great optics, just have really not stood the time as combat optics like aimpoint. I have had an eotech 512 and liked it, but I leave my aimpoint on 24/7 so when i reach and grab my rifle its ready to go... i dont want to have to turn it on, or change batterys every so often... but to each their own.

chadbag
11-03-08, 14:21
How is the dot? still pixelated?
Heard that eotechs were having qc problem.

EO Tech "reticles" look pixelated as a by-product of how the image is generated. It is a holographic image projection.

The 517 is not listed in my price list and on the eo tech website btw -- I wonder if it was a special run or something?

Jay Cunningham
11-03-08, 16:24

I don't think your statement is accurate. There are a lot of first hand accounts of EoTech issues described here - that is a whole different animal than "bashing." Please choose your words more carefully.

lanceriley
11-03-08, 17:13
I don't think your statement is accurate. There are a lot of first hand accounts of EoTech issues described here - that is a whole different animal than "bashing." Please choose your words more carefully.

the post wasn't meant to offend. just an observation that most eotech posts are negative and only a few are positive. I assume that you're was a positive experience can you share?

SMGLee
11-03-08, 17:27
The 517 run on the AA batteries and it is a very reliable optic. even if you have any concern, you can be sure the CS at EOTech are first rate.

As far as first line optic vs. the Aimpoint product, it is really a toss up, Aimpoint has been more robust since the Aimpoint technology are a simpler LED diode, EOTech run on circuit board and laser projection. Aimpoint are more robust at this time, but the tide is being changed with SOCOM 553 contract and the battery spring contact issue behind them, they are again crunching out 553 for SOCOM at full production and the retrofit to the existing 553 did not cost the Gov't a dime.

I think you can rest assure the 517 you purchase will be reliable and very dependable. with build in riser it is also very convenient. just make sure if you run the AA lithium battery in them.

Cheers.

lanceriley
11-03-08, 18:07
haven't bought the 517 yet but somebody was offering. the last time I used an eotech was a 511. any improvements? aside from the AA batteries.

so only the 553 are having problems?

SMGLee
11-03-08, 18:38
the 517 improved over the older 511 by light years. better electronics, a build in riser and improved thumb screw with a recoil lug.

the 553 battery contact had some problem from the sub-contractor... the problem was resolved.