PDA

View Full Version : Voting Age

docsherm
11-06-18, 10:47
So I was thinking about this when I was in line for an hour this morning to vote.

Should we make the age to vote 21?

There are those that say they are 18 and can serve our country and die for our country. So they should be able to vote. Right?

But then why are people under the age of 21 are not responsible enough to drink alcohol. They are not responsible enough to own a pistol (and now any firearms in some places).

So how are they responsible enough to vote. Voting and lack of voting has killed more people then booze or firearms.

So why let them?

Thoughts

Renegade
11-06-18, 10:49
All of this was litigated over the past 40 years and we are where we are as a result.

Inkslinger
11-06-18, 10:53
The difference in mental maturity between an 18 and 21 year old wouldn’t even move the needle.

sgtrock82
11-06-18, 10:53
'Cause libs wants their votes fresh from the factory. But as long as 18 year olds can go to war, I think they should be able to vote. The other stuff , drinking etc., is window dressing IMO.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

docsherm
11-06-18, 11:03
The 15th and the 19th Amendment do not say anything about age. So if we can take away their 2nd Amendment right in the name of safety then why not for the betterment of the nation?

jmp45
11-06-18, 11:07
'Cause libs wants their votes fresh from the factory. But as long as 18 year olds can go to war, I think they should be able to vote. The other stuff , drinking etc., is window dressing IMO.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

I posted this the other day a DC bill to lower to 16 years to vote local, now they are stating federal.. Wow, just keeps getting crazier.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/washington-dc-16-year-olds-vote-president-58922581

THCDDM4
11-06-18, 11:12
Hell, I'm not so concerned with age, as you have equal amounts of idiot 18 YO's as you do 65 YO's, I'm more concerned with people who do not pay any taxes voting.

I truly believe the qualifier should be if you pay Federal taxes you get a vote on the Dfedral level, if you pay State taxes...etc, if you don't pay taxes, you don't get a vote. Pretty simple.

Why should folks who are not contributing have a say in how the money the rest of us are contributing is used?

Seems pretty simple and fair to me.

HeruMew
11-06-18, 11:30
Hell, I'm not so concerned with age, as you have equal amounts of idiot 18 YO's as you do 65 YO's, I'm more concerned with people who do not pay any taxes voting.

I truly believe the qualifier should be if you pay Federal taxes you get a vote on the Dfedral level, if you pay State taxes...etc, if you don't pay taxes, you don't get a vote. Pretty simple.

Why should folks who are not contributing have a say in how the money the rest of us are contributing is used?

I had this exact debate with my father the other day.

We ultimately agreed, through logic, that if they're not contributing they shouldn't have a say.

HOWEVER, my Father did bring up a point of Land Voting. That wasn't something we wanted, and looking at it subjectively, you could see how those two closely relate.

Norseman
11-06-18, 11:43
Doc,

I get what you are saying, and there is a certain amount of quantifiable logic behind it, but....

My son, who is 20 yrs old, a full time college student, works part time, pays taxes, and thus far has proven to be very reliable and responsible, voted. He voted the way he did because even at his age he is absolutely disgusted by what he see's in the MSM and on campus as it pertains to the left and their antics.

And yes, I believe he is in the minority in today's world for his age and environment, but still it's one more on our side.

This is why I would be torn when it comes to the idea of changing the minimum age. Personally, I think if you are old enough to go to war, then you should be old enough to vote, buy guns, drink etc.

R6436
11-06-18, 12:02
if we can take away their 2nd Amendment right in the name of safety then why not for the betterment of the nation?

I had a similar thought last night. In some states you have to go through a safety course and background check in order to obtain a "permit" to buy and/or carry a firearm. Why not doing something similar with voting? You must present your permit every time you request a ballot, can only vote in person, and must go through another background check each time before receiving your ballot.

docsherm
11-06-18, 12:04
Doc,

I get what you are saying, and there is a certain amount of quantifiable logic behind it, but....

My son, who is 20 yrs old, a full time college student, works part time, pays taxes, and thus far has proven to be very reliable and responsible, voted. He voted the way he did because even at his age he is absolutely disgusted by what he see's in the MSM and on campus as it pertains to the left and their antics.

And yes, I believe he is in the minority in today's world for his age and environment, but still it's one more on our side.

This is why I would be torn when it comes to the idea of changing the minimum age. Personally, I think if you are old enough to go to war, then you should be old enough to vote, buy guns, drink etc.

That is kind of my point. When did we as a country start to pick and chose what rights are good and what ones are bad? So if the left thinks that 18 yo should not have guns then why not say they can't vote?

I figured that a good discussion may be enlightening here. Hope so.

docsherm
11-06-18, 12:06
I had a similar thought last night. In some states you have to go through a safety course and background check in order to obtain a "permit" to buy and/or carry a firearm. Why not doing something similar with voting? You must present your permit every time you request a ballot, can only vote in person, and must go through another background check each time before receiving your ballot.

That is brilliant. I am all for that. That argument is solid.

And make them pay $200 for an early voter tax stamp. ;).......
And wait 10 months......:blink:

AKDoug
11-06-18, 12:09
It is only illegal to purchase a handgun before you are 21 (stupid law) but not to possess one in many states. In fact, you can possess a handgun in my state as young as 16 with parental permission. You can't carry it concealed either before you are 21 and that bugs me.

I have kids in the age range being discussed. My 19 y.o. goes to college, holds down a full time job, and is engaged with society. She's inquisitive and asks solid questions about issues and candidates, that's far more than I can say about many older adults I encounter. One of my friends has a daughter that was elected to the New Hampshire House of Representatives at 19, and is running for re-election at 21. Overall, I have no issues with 18 y.o.'s voting. In my own little bubble, I really think that the "kids" that are getting off their ass and voting are fairly well informed, at least as much as their elders on an average. They may not be voting the way "we" think they should, but they to have to live with the consequences.

As far as the tax thing, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that even those living on welfare or disability still have to file tax paperwork. They may pay nothing (as does 40%+) of our population, but I don't think you'd ever get a SCOTUS to side with the idea that you have to pay taxes to vote. The amount of people who actually pay NOTHING is so statistically small that, combined with whether they even get up to vote, the number is insignificant. After all, we ALL pay taxes in some way. Whether it's on a product that is charged taxes in it's production, a property tax that's an element of your rent bill, or a fuel tax. Its a spaghetti mess that would provide a monumental bureaucratic monumental task to prove who's worthy and who isn't.

On the land issue. I don't necessarily disagree, but I own large amounts of land and buildings. I have a fellow business man friend who's company grosses almost twice what mine does and he employs twice as many people. He abhors owning land and buildings. He leases everything, including his home. He owns zero land, but he pumps millions into our economy.

I would support lowering the age on everything to 18, but not raising any age requirements.

MistWolf
11-06-18, 12:30
My sons could not get college loans on their own or rent cars until they were 25. To get a college loan, they needed a parent to co-sign and one son was in the military at the time.

We have people crying that we need to raise the age to purchase and possess firearms. But, at 18, people can marry, vote, move out of their parent's home, buy an automobile, travel out of the country. They can join the military.

People tell us we should listen to children on political issues. Pedophiles think children should be allowed to have sex with whoever they want- particularly adults. Minor aged girls can have abortions without telling their parent's.

It all seems contradictory, but much of it is intended to bring about a generation of youth that are not held accountable, or turn them into victims.

AndyLate
11-06-18, 12:34
A 17 year old cannot serve in the military, rent an apartment or open a bank account without parental consent.

They shouldn't be allowed to vote either.

18 year olds can do all of the above (in most states) and should vote.

To keep it simple - if it is a felony to possess nude photos of a person, then they are not mature enough to vote.

Andy

docsherm
11-06-18, 12:38
A 17 year old cannot serve in the military, rent an apartment or open a bank account without parental consent.

They shouldn't be allowed to vote either.

18 year olds can do all of the above (in most states) and should vote.

To keep it simple - if it is a felony to possess nude photos of a person, then they are not mature enough to vote.

Andy

If they are emancipated they can do all of those. But yet not buy a gun.

Norseman
11-06-18, 12:48
That is kind of my point. When did we as a country start to pick and chose what rights are good and what ones are bad? So if the left thinks that 18 yo should not have guns then why not say they can't vote?

I figured that a good discussion may be enlightening here. Hope so.

Gotcha, I am tracking now, and yes, it is a good discussion.

I agree with you 100%, if we are going to have a minimum age standard then it should be across the board and not selective.

Bulletdog
11-06-18, 12:58

I agree with this. On welfare? Adjudicated mentally incompetent in a court of law? Illegal immigrant? Not earning a legitimate paycheck somewhere? Then you don't get to vote on how the money other people are earning gets spent or who spends it.

If somebody doesn't like this, they are welcome to rejoin the workforce and start earning their keep, along with a vote.

26 Inf
11-06-18, 13:13
I agree with this. On welfare? Adjudicated mentally incompetent in a court of law? Illegal immigrant? Not earning a legitimate paycheck somewhere? Then you don't get to vote on how the money other people are earning gets spent or who spends it.

If somebody doesn't like this, they are welcome to rejoin the workforce and start earning their keep, along with a vote.

So if a woman is in a more traditional Christian Marriage and stays home to keep house and raise the kids she wouldn't get to vote? What about trophy wives?

Would you feel differently if you thought the majority of welfare recipients voted the way you did?

I'm okay with 18 across the board.

Bulletdog
11-06-18, 13:36
So if a woman is in a more traditional Christian Marriage and stays home to keep house and raise the kids she wouldn't get to vote? What about trophy wives?

Would you feel differently if you thought the majority of welfare recipients voted the way you did?

I'm okay with 18 across the board.

I'm fine with house wives, or house husbands, who are not earning a paycheck not voting. Same for trophy wives or husbands.

I would not feel differently if welfare recipients saw things my way. People on the dole should not be able to vote more free stuff for themselves. Same thing for state senators and members of the house of reps. WE, the taxpayers, should be the ones voting on whether or not those people get a raise. If I had my way there would be strong incentives to get off of welfare, not to stay on it.

I know an old cowboy who truly believes this country went to pot as soon as we gave women the vote. Not saying I agree with him, but he says that is the point at which common sense left the building and emotional decisions became the theme of the day. Look at where we are. Facts are routinely disregarded and we get to hear all about people's feelings now.

MistWolf
11-06-18, 14:10
"No Taxation Without Representation. No Representation Without Taxation!"

Arik
11-06-18, 14:12
I'm fine with house wives, or house husbands, who are not earning a paycheck not voting. Same for trophy wives or husbands.

I would not feel differently if welfare recipients saw things my way. People on the dole should not be able to vote more free stuff for themselves. Same thing for state senators and members of the house of reps. WE, the taxpayers, should be the ones voting on whether or not those people get a raise. If I had my way there would be strong incentives to get off of welfare, not to stay on it.

I know an old cowboy who truly believes this country went to pot as soon as we gave women the vote. Not saying I agree with him, but he says that is the point at which common sense left the building and emotional decisions became the theme of the day. Look at where we are. Facts are routinely disregarded and we get to hear all about people's feelings now.But then is there a cut off limit when on welfare? Someone could have lost their job 2 months ago and is collecting unemployment while looking for another job

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

docsherm
11-06-18, 14:37
But then is there a cut off limit when on welfare? Someone could have lost their job 2 months ago and is collecting unemployment while looking for another job

Unemployment is not welfare....... You have to work to get it.... and it runs out.

Arik
11-06-18, 14:44
Unemployment is not welfare....... You have to work to get it.... and it runs out.Point taken. I read it in general terms.

docsherm
11-06-18, 14:48
Point taken. I read it in general terms.

I get it.

RetroRevolver77
11-06-18, 15:08
deleted

MegademiC
11-06-18, 16:38
So I was thinking about this when I was in line for an hour this morning to vote.

There are those that say they are 18 and can serve our country and die for our country. So they should be able to vote. Right?

But then why are people under the age of 21 are not responsible enough to drink alcohol. They are not responsible enough to own a pistol (and now any firearms in some places).

So how are they responsible enough to vote. Voting and lack of voting has killed more people then booze or firearms.

So why let them?

Thoughts

I believe all males should be treated like a man at age 16.
You should have full adult rights and responsibilities, good and bad, at 18.

Only exception I really dont know about off the top of my head is healthcare- not to many jobs offer it starting out, but 27 is way too old...

I agree with the welfare point. If you are a taker, and dont have your shit together, you cant vote.
Once you get back, or on track, full restoration of rights.

SteyrAUG
11-06-18, 17:40

So why let them?

Thoughts

They should also be allowed to drink. If you can vote and fight for your country, you are old enough to drink. Problem is that means being an "adult" and being held accountable as an adult. So we need to decide if that happens at 18 or 21 and then whichever we decide that is when you become an "adult" and can do "adult things."

When I turned 18 I was old enough to legally drink. But I didn't have a single drink that night and I really don't drink at all. I also don't smoke, never tried drugs, etc. I also knew people who were doing all of those things in high school, magic numbers like 18 and 21 really don't have much to do with when a person becomes responsible and accountable.

SteyrAUG
11-06-18, 17:45

Ok, I'm self employed. I don't get a paycheck. Do I not get to vote?

flenna
11-06-18, 17:51

No. Sorry dude :blink:

docsherm
11-06-18, 18:27

Everyone else but you...

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-18, 18:44

A buck a vote.

AssInTheGameocracy.

The_War_Wagon
11-06-18, 19:06

I think we should raise it to, "TAXPAYER."

That is to say, if you are a NET taxpayer, you get to vote. If you collect MORE in gummint benefits/subsidies/aid/etc. than you pay IN taxes, you do NOT get to vote.

That should put an END to the irresponsible, voting THEMSELVES a "pay raise," every two years. :mad:

Honu
11-06-18, 19:10
I also thought tie it to taxes but in the sense if you are a dependent you are not allowed and if you are on welfare not allowed

also I think the problem needs to be fixed as to why and who vote for and put term limits on ALL officials and tie the pay to same as military
stop any and all outside money at that time for them to no lobbying etc.... fix the main problem

Moose-Knuckle
11-06-18, 20:27
The age issue reminds me of the "logic" of the NFA / ATF rulings.

We have shotguns, SBS's, AOW's, and "firearms" that are the exact same gun with only cosmetic differences.

At 16 a person can operate a multi-ton motor vehicle.
Girls 17 and under can get an abortion.
At 17 a person can enlist in the military.
At 18 a person can vote, purchase and or perform in adult entertainment, purchase longarms, longarm ammunition, tobacco products, males register for Selective Service.
At 21 a person can purchase alcoholic beverages, handguns, handgun ammunition, obtain an CCW permit and carry.
And finally at 25 they can rent an automobile.

As usual it seems to me that as a nation are priorities are FUBAR.

I've been saying 18 across the spectrum since forever.

SteyrAUG
11-06-18, 21:54
No. Sorry dude :blink:

So why am I paying taxes? Also when I have employees, how come they get to vote if I can't?

SteyrAUG
11-06-18, 21:58
I think we should raise it to, "TAXPAYER."

That is to say, if you are a NET taxpayer, you get to vote. If you collect MORE in gummint benefits/subsidies/aid/etc. than you pay IN taxes, you do NOT get to vote.

That should put an END to the irresponsible, voting THEMSELVES a "pay raise," every two years. :mad:

I own a house, so if we get to make up rules only homeowners get to vote. I'm also a business owner so I should get to vote twice.

As a fiscally responsible business owner I often invest my profits into the business which translates into deductions so sometimes my "net gain" is inventory which is an investment in my business. I don't think knowing how to run a business that sustains itself should cost me a vote. To the contrary I think it shows I'm extra qualified and I should get a third vote.

Bulletdog
11-06-18, 22:17
I own a house, so if we get to make up rules only homeowners get to vote. I'm also a business owner so I should get to vote twice.

As a fiscally responsible business owner I often invest my profits into the business which translates into deductions so sometimes my "net gain" is inventory which is an investment in my business. I don't think knowing how to run a business that sustains itself should cost me a vote. To the contrary I think it shows I'm extra qualified and I should get a third vote.

Ok Devil's Advocate. We didn't say "get a paycheck". We said those who pay taxes. You pay taxes don't you? Then you get a vote in how that tax money is spent.

BTW, I'm self employed too. Or I'm a private contractor. Whichever title benefits me the most that day...

SteyrAUG
11-06-18, 23:33
Ok Devil's Advocate. We didn't say "get a paycheck". We said those who pay taxes. You pay taxes don't you? Then you get a vote in how that tax money is spent.

BTW, I'm self employed too. Or I'm a private contractor. Whichever title benefits me the most that day...

Actually YOU said " Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
I'm fine with house wives, or house husbands, who are not earning a paycheck not voting. Same for trophy wives or husbands."

If it's now about paying taxes, then that is a different discussion. But honestly, if we went back to correct definitions and qualification to be a US citizen and LBJ didn't create a welfare state we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

And those are the things that need fixing. When I was younger, I made less than $10,000 so I was exempted from paying taxes, but should that have meant I couldn't vote? Maybe this is as simple as if you are receiving "government assistance" you shouldn't get to vote. There was a year that was me and if accepting help meant I couldn't vote that year then that would just be that. But even then that would be one less conservative libertarian voting against the enemies of freedom.

uffdaphil
11-07-18, 03:25
Rather than being a taxpayer I would rather the qualifier be if the majority source of your income is the money forcibly taken from fellow citizens.

Make the voluntary relinquishment of voting rights a prerequisite for government employment or those living off of welfare. Federal and state employees can’t vote in there respective elections. Those on the state dole can’t vote for state offices. Redistribution would become a far less potent political weapon.

The government schools teachers union riots would sell a lot of popcorn.

The_War_Wagon
11-07-18, 06:33

Also sounds like you're NOT getting foodstamps. Go vote already.

Tx_Aggie
11-07-18, 07:20
deleted

docsherm
11-07-18, 12:23
Rather than being a taxpayer I would rather the qualifier be if the majority source of your income is the money forcibly taken from fellow citizens.

Make the voluntary relinquishment of voting rights a prerequisite for government employment or those living off of welfare. Federal and state employees can’t vote in there respective elections. Those on the state dole can’t vote for state offices. Redistribution would become a far less potent political weapon.

The government schools teachers union riots would sell a lot of popcorn.

So the Military can't VOTE?

yoni
11-07-18, 12:48
If you are in the military at 18, you have earned the right to vote.

If not then, no vote.

Universal democracy is stupid and dangerous.

It was wrong to deny people the right to vote based on race. But it is also wrong to allow those with no skin in the game, to vote themselves free money. Socialism is coming, plan your life accordingly.

thepatriot2705
11-07-18, 13:11

So why let them?

Thoughts

Raise it to 25

Moose-Knuckle
11-07-18, 13:16
It was wrong to deny people the right to vote based on race.

Black men along with other male minorities had the right to vote in this nation long before white women did.

MistWolf
11-07-18, 15:43

More importantly, people should have to pass a background check before they can run for office. The same background checks we have to pass before we can purchase a firearm or get a job. Or better still, the same background check we have to pass before getting our NFA Tax Stamp approved.

yoni
11-07-18, 16:44
Black men along with other male minorities had the right to vote in this nation long before white women did.

My mother a MD, always stated the down fall of the USA was giving women the right to vote. She stated women vote with their hearts, and not their heads. My mother acknowledged that due to her training she would take in the facts and make a determination for the best treatment of her patient.

uffdaphil
11-08-18, 19:00
So the Military can't VOTE?

Ahh.. okay, the plan would need some tweaking.

docsherm
11-08-18, 20:36
Ahh.. okay, the plan would need some tweaking.

Well that made me laugh......

Bulletdog
11-09-18, 12:01
My mother a MD, always stated the down fall of the USA was giving women the right to vote. She stated women vote with their hearts, and not their heads. My mother acknowledged that due to her training she would take in the facts and make a determination for the best treatment of her patient.

She must know my cowboy friend! That's exactly what he said.

...Or maybe there is some truth to it and multiple people know it.

Bulletdog
11-09-18, 12:10
Actually YOU said " Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
I'm fine with house wives, or house husbands, who are not earning a paycheck not voting. Same for trophy wives or husbands."

Guilty as charged. Now let's work on defining "paycheck". I'm self employed and I get paid for the work I do. I'm pretty sure you do to. When someone writes a check with my name in the "payee" section, signs it and gives it to me, I call that a "paycheck". Sometimes I get cash. I still get 1099ed on it and taxed, so in my own personal broad definition, that could still be considered a "paycheck" for the purposes of this discussion. Likewise with electronic means of pay like PayPal for example.

My point, which I'm pretty sure you get, is that people getting free money from the government and not earning their own money, should not have a say in how our text dollars are spent. The people earning the tax dollars should have a say.

And before someone brings up the military people, in my view, anyone serving in our military is most definitely earning the right to vote regardless of their financial status. They are doing a "job", as are police and firefighters that serve our communities and get paid for doing their job by the government.

tb-av
11-09-18, 13:22

More like 45

ETA: Edit to amend and allow .Mil to vote.

BoringGuy45
11-09-18, 14:18
The issue isn't age. Very, very few people I know who were leftist in their younger years have shifted right. This is especially true of the suburban kids who move to the big cities. They continue to live like they're still in college well into their 30s: Get some low stress job for rent and fun money, then spend the nights drinking, smoking weed, sitting around talking about how much smarter and better their generation is than all before them, and end the night banging anything with a hole. For that reason, I'm not for disenfranchising anyone, as it will be just more taxation without representation.

Ocasio-Cortez didn't beat the GOP challenger just because of the 18 year olds in her district. That was a combined effort from the far left voters of all ages in NYC.

Honu
11-09-18, 21:02
The issue isn't age. Very, very few people I know who were leftist in their younger years have shifted right. This is especially true of the suburban kids who move to the big cities. They continue to live like they're still in college well into their 30s: Get some low stress job for rent and fun money, then spend the nights drinking, smoking weed, sitting around talking about how much smarter and better their generation is than all before them, and end the night banging anything with a hole. For that reason, I'm not for disenfranchising anyone, as it will be just more taxation without representation.

Ocasio-Cortez didn't beat the GOP challenger just because of the 18 year olds in her district. That was a combined effort from the far left voters of all ages in NYC.

and her ethnicity its cool to vote for anything other than white these days sadly
white chicks only check one box so even they do not have as much chance in liberal places of course is what I am talking about

I truly wish somehow voting could be blind and we could ONLY see what people have done and history actual accurate history of course ;) truly see voting records truly see what they say think act etc..

would be interesting if you could do that somehow

tb-av
11-10-18, 10:19
For the Kavanaugh trial it was clearly stated White men are evil. Even elected officials if White are evil and can't question anything other than a White man.

Now they have figured White women are evil too as they caused Dems to lose seats.

It's not racist to say that because the people saying it are more intelligent than White people.

The Left - "We hate racists so we have become racist"

Moose-Knuckle
11-13-18, 18:39
and her ethnicity its cool to vote for anything other than white these days sadly

For the Kavanaugh trial it was clearly stated White men are evil. Even elected officials if White are evil and can't question anything other than a White man.

It's not racist to say that because the people saying it are more intelligent than White people.

The Left - "We hate racists so we have become racist"

And what really highlights the double-standards and hypocrisy of the left is that just today I heard on a radio program the top four DNC candidates for the 2020 presidential race:

Joe Biden (old White guy)
Bernie Sanders (old White guy)
Robert "Beto" Francis O'Rourke (young White guy who commits Cultural Appropriation and pretends to be Hispanic)
Elizabeth Warren (old White lady who commits Cultural Appropriation and pretends to be Native-American)

You just can't make this shit up.

OldState
11-13-18, 20:26
In the 1780’s 21 years old was a lot older mentally than today. But being that was the original standard I support Hong back to it. You would also probably have to raise the minimum draft age to 21 but could allow voluntary enlistment at 18.

I would actually love to see a civics exam requirement before voting:)

morbidbattlecry
11-13-18, 23:32
This is probably a topic for another thread but i'll throw this out there. The welfare system as you guys think it is ended in 1996. In the current system you can only be on welfare for 6 years. And there is a job requirement in most if not all states. There are some places that let you do a hardship exemption but they are getting rare these days. The vast majority of long term welfare recipients are those that have some sort of disability or illness that precludes them from a job that would pay a livable wage but they can still work.

SteveS
11-25-18, 19:36
I would like to raise the age to vote to 25 years old.
I would ban Welfare and government employed from voting .
I would only allow real property owners the right to vote because they mostly bear the brunt of taxation.

Firefly
11-25-18, 21:35
Everything should be a hard 18, consequences and rights alike.

Sink or swim, boy. Sink or swim

26 Inf
11-25-18, 23:25
I would like to raise the age to vote to 25 years old.
I would ban Welfare and government employed from voting .
I would only allow real property owners the right to vote because they mostly bear the brunt of taxation.

I think we just need to leave it at 18.

For every suggestion someone makes there are counter arguments:

Point One: When I was 20 I was a Sergeant in the Marine Corps and was married with a child. When I was 22 I was working as a police officer. A lot of folks have made a fairly good start toward contributing and taking responsibility well before they are 25.

Point Two: See point one - Armed Forces, Fire, Police, EMS don't get to vote?

Point Three: I know someone worth a couple million who leases everything, he doesn't get to vote? What portion of our property taxes go to support the federal government?

Jsp10477
11-26-18, 06:12
Everything should be a hard 18, consequences and rights alike.

Sink or swim, boy. Sink or swim

Quoted for truth.