PDA

View Full Version : How do you celebrate/teach your kids about Veterans Day...

STAFF
11-09-18, 10:47
There are a lot of Veterans behind the scenes of M4C; and a lot of members who have served as well. From all of us, we wish you a wonderful Veterans Day.

We'd like to know: how have you (Vet or not) taught your kids about the day? Do you have any traditions? Do you go from place to place eating the free meals for Vets? Do you go through the history:

"Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance, and Nov. 11 became a national holiday beginning in 1938."

Let's hear from you....and have an awesome Veterans Day!

William B.
11-09-18, 11:12
We try to attend local Veterans Day celebrations, but I don't know that I've ever sat my kids down and taught them the meaning behind it. There is a lot of military service in both my and my wife's families, so I guess I've always just kind of taken it for granted that my kids understand it. I'll certainly be teaching them about Veterans Day and the Marine Corps birthday this weekend, though.

docsherm
11-09-18, 12:31
I am speaking to my 6th graders class on Monday for Veterans Day. I am giving them a brief summary of what I did in the Army and then there is a Question and answer session. Then I will have lunch with them.

SteyrAUG
11-09-18, 14:34
As a kid I used to watch movies with my Grandfather, and that is when I got a lot of back history or real events from his experience.

C2Q
11-09-18, 15:11
Since I homeschool our boys, and both of their parents are Navy Veterans, I would love to say I knew the history of the day's origin. But...nope. We often talk about our time in the service, so I usually spend extra time on Veterans Day talking about their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., that served. No one in my house is ever interested in going to a parade-no matter the occasion.

daddyusmaximus
11-12-18, 07:35
I've tried my best to teach my kids how much our nations veterans have given to this great nation. You'd think they would know first hand seeing as how I was gone a lot of the time doing just that... then coming home to retire on my VA disability. I've got a 50% success rate. They are both in college. Yesterday (as a good VFW Commander does) I attended ceremonies.

My son came home to attend, along with my wife.

I didn't hear from my liberal daughter.