PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR15A4 ... to A2?

Buncheong
11-09-18, 19:16
Bought this A2 upper hoping to put together an A2 rifle like I carried in USAF before I got out. Dunno who the maker might be, haven’t opened the bag. Sold to me as “USGI Surplus,” wick still inside barrel.

Am told this upper “has small pin hole,” and have included pic. I’d like to buy an A4 and save the upper for use with optics (if I ever get those figured out). Will the current production Colt A4 lower work with this upper?

Also wondering - will feed ramp compatibility be an issue?

Thanking you in advance for any forward guidance...

http://fliegerkorpsx.imgur.com/

*Edit: I took big pictures but they post small. Will put big ones up once I figure out how...

AndyLate
11-09-18, 20:27
I can't open your pics, but if I understand the description and questions, yes your upper should work with a current production lower.

The feed ramps are in the upper receiver, so there really isn't a compatibility concern with the lower.

If it is truly a surplus A2 upper, then you have a nice piece and should be good to go.

Andy

P.S. I see your pics now.

RHINOWSO
11-09-18, 20:56
I think you should open the bag... ;)

Iraqgunz
11-09-18, 22:53
1. Open bag and determine exactly what you have.

2. There is no such thing as an A4 lower.

3. If it is a true rifle barrel (not one with an M4 extension installed) then all you need to do is find a compatible flat top upper.

4. See #1 and check the upper/barrel extension.

AndyLate
11-10-18, 06:34
OP, your original post isn't terribly clear.

I thought you wanted to:

1. Keep your complete A2 upper as-is
2. Purchase an A4 rifle
3. Swap your A2 upper onto the lower of your A4 rifle
4. Retain the A4 upper for when you want to use optics

If that us not your plan, please be clearer.

If that is your plan, then confirm it.

My answers are correct in a general sense but Iraqgunz has a great amount of expirience and encyclopedic knowledge of the AR and can provide more specific answers and help you avoid unexpected pitfalls.

Andy

bamashooter
11-10-18, 08:21
OP, your original post isn't terribly clear.

I thought you wanted to:

1. Keep your complete A2 upper as-is
2. Purchase an A4 rifle
3. Swap your A2 upper onto the lower of your A4 rifle
4. Retain the A4 upper for when you want to use optics

If that us not your plan, please be clearer.

If that is your plan, then confirm it.

My answers are correct in a general sense but Iraqgunz has a great amount of expirience and encyclopedic knowledge of the AR and can provide more specific answers and help you avoid unexpected pitfalls.

Andy

That's what he said. An interpretable pic would be nice.

Buncheong
11-11-18, 17:47
Yes that’s correct.

I’d like to buy a complete Colt AR15A4 with 20” barrel. Switch out the upper and save for future use with optic, and install my surplus A2 upper.

Opened bag per board member guidance, posted pics on Imgur, link is here:

Iraqgunz
11-12-18, 05:03
The one pic you have posted really doesn't mean much at all.

Yes that’s correct.

I’d like to buy a complete Colt AR15A4 with 20” barrel. Switch out the upper and save for future use with optic, and install my surplus A2 upper.

Opened bag per board member guidance, posted pics on Imgur, link is here:

https://m.imgur.com/Ki3GKa9,sUkktVW,vhlt9Ka,8ZBwjXh,RGgZTSQ

Buncheong
11-12-18, 12:34
Having photo posting issues, posted 7 but they aren’t showing. Moving to site support for assistance...

sig1473
11-12-18, 13:35
Any markings on the barrel?

Buncheong
11-12-18, 16:47
P MP NATO 5.56 1/7

Forge code on receiver is P A (Anchor-Harvey)

Markings on left side of FSB are B (RI) 2

The RI mark is inside a circle as (RI)

Iraqgunz
11-12-18, 23:07
According to some stuff I have read, those uppers were made by SACO Maremont as part of a PIP/ upgrade program for the U.S. Air Force in the late 1980's.

Buncheong
11-14-18, 23:49
Many thanks for the reply and for the excellent info, it is very gratefully appreciated!

(Your patience as I got the photo problems sorted out also, very much appreciated)