PDA

View Full Version : Glock Model 45 Information Thread

CoryCop25
11-09-18, 20:04
I'm posting this thread to see what others have noticed with their G45.

I have the G45 and the 19X but I'd like this thread to be limited to the G45 or at least be specific to the models.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I was recently issued the G45 and none of my after market magazines work in it. I have ETS 22 and 30 rounders, Magpul 17 and 21 rounders and every magazine that I have used other than the Glock magazines have induced a malfunction. I have used the new Gen5 Glock magazines and older Glock brand magazines and all have worked with no issue. Since the G45, I have had ZERO issues with any of the aftermarket magazines until now. I have used these magazines in all generations of Glocks including a Gen5 17 that I use very often.

When these malfunctions occurred, I was using either American Eagle 147gr or Federal 147 HST.

The malfunctions while using the ETS mags were failure to feed and two times, the rounds did not stack properly and were basically loose in the magazine.
The malfunctions in the Magpul magazines were all failure to lock back.

RHINOWSO
11-09-18, 20:35
While I use OEMs for the most part, I did use ETS 22rd and Magpul 17 & 21rd mags in my G45 when I shot it the first couple of weeks.

All brass cased ammo (my Magpul Glock mags aren't reliable with steel) and they worked fine with no issues, but I only used one of each magazine one time only so I would know that they have worked in the past.

Since then and 95% of the time, I train only with OEMs, as I've had bad luck with PMAGs and steel. ETS have been fine but OEMs for the most part for me.

CoryCop25
11-09-18, 20:43
I'm not really concerned about the after market mags as I have more OEM mags than all the after market mags combined. I'm just curious because I have had zero issues until the G45.

RHINOWSO
11-09-18, 22:21
And I had zero issues with my G45, albeit limited experience.

Good luck in your search.

arptsprt
11-10-18, 08:50
I have two G45 - one with Glock OEM NS, and the other with the Ameriglo sights. The former has about 700 rounds thru it, the later about 400.

I have used Glock factory mags and Magpul G17 pmags with both and both have been reliable.

In general, both guns have run exceptionally well. I really like the G45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST911
11-10-18, 09:06
When these malfunctions occurred, I was using either American Eagle 147gr or Federal 147 HST.

I have those loads and gl9 17's and 21's. I'll try to shoot those combinations today in some G45s.

ST911
11-10-18, 19:38
Fired 150 rounds of AE9FP and 121 rounds of P9HST2.
21rd pmag failed to go to slide lock a little less than half the time, did not depend on ammo.
17rd pmag failed to feed HST from slide lock a few times, sending round into the ramp. Occurred when mag was partially loaded.
No ETS mags on hand to try.
OEM 17rd and 24rd, no malfunctions.

Got solid reload reps in today. Thanks!

seb5
11-11-18, 07:40
I bought two 19X's and quickly purchased the first 45 that showed up, retail, not blue label. I've shot it several times and it now has roughly 800 rounds thru it. I also recently ordered 60 for our department based on my experiences and the desire to transition back to the 9mm. I have used several generations of factory magazines without failures. I'm not sure why but I've never bought an after market Glock magazine. I have considered a 9mm AR based carbine or pistol and as it would be a toy, might do it then. I'm not knocking on you but why use the after market mags? After the price of the weapon, accessories, ammo, etc it seems to not be the place to save a few dollars.

Is there a minor design change to the interior geometry of the new models that could be enough to cause a tolerance stacking issue?

Nightstalker865
11-11-18, 08:46
My G45 has run flawlessly and has become my favorite Glock. I’ve only run factory Gen 3, 4, and 5 mags though. OEM Glock mags are cheap enough, I don’t consider any of the aftermarket options desirable. I paid $18ech for my last batch of OEM Gen 4 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texaspoff
11-11-18, 13:51
I have run Magpul mags in all three of my 19X's and both G45, not a single issue with any of them. Several thousand rounds multiple weights and brands. My magpul mags are older ones as well, and I know there were some issues with weak springs in older ones. Weak springs would cause the issues you have had. I had three brand new G23 mags that wouldn't lock the slide when empty. Replaced the springs and they worked perfectly. I would recommend contacting magpul and I would imagine they would replace them for you.

I have no experience with the ETS mags, so I can't offer any information.

TXPO

Mozart
11-11-18, 14:39
My gen5 G19 MOS has all the same internal changes that they’ve done to the G45, and it has run flawlessly for about 400 rounds with OEM old and new, PMags, and ETS. With AE 147gr, HST 147gr, and Rem UMC 115gr.

mkmckinley
11-11-18, 15:01
My gen5 G19 MOS has all the same internal changes that they’ve done to the G45, and it has run flawlessly for about 400 rounds with OEM old and new, PMags, and ETS. With AE 147gr, HST 147gr, and Rem UMC 115gr.

What are the internal changes you're talking about? I'm aware of the little notch on the breech face and the lack of half moon cutout on the front strap. Is there anything else?

HackerF15E
11-11-18, 22:30
Nearing 1000 rounds down my G45, using almost exclusively Magpul and KCI aftermarket 17-rd mags and a mix of Barnaul, S&B, and Federal ammo.

Three FTFs in the first 200 rounds (with the Barnaul ammo in the Magpul mags), but flawless since then.

CoryCop25
11-11-18, 22:37
Fired 150 rounds of AE9FP and 121 rounds of P9HST2.
21rd pmag failed to go to slide lock a little less than half the time, did not depend on ammo.
17rd pmag failed to feed HST from slide lock a few times, sending round into the ramp. Occurred when mag was partially loaded.
No ETS mags on hand to try.
OEM 17rd and 24rd, no malfunctions.

Got solid reload reps in today. Thanks!

Very similar issues... interesting!
Serial number on my G45 is BHZE3xx

CoryCop25
11-11-18, 22:42
I'm not knocking on you but why use the after market mags? After the price of the weapon, accessories, ammo, etc it seems to not be the place to save a few dollars.

The 21 rounders are great for training I obtained over half of these magazines for free so why not?

My last count off OEM Glock 17 rounders was 34 so my issue isn't the lack of OEM magazines or saving money, it's the wanting to know why the aftermarket mags don't work.

RHINOWSO
11-12-18, 09:30
I honestly think the Magpul mags can work ok when clean, but when it comes to steel cased ammo, it's a friction issue.

Mine worked fine for several hundred rounds, then I started getting failures, mostly some type of failure to feed while using Wolf / Tula (I have a lot of it).

At first, since the mags had been fine, I attributed it to the G19. However when unloading some GL9 mags I would push the round out to unload, and the following round would take an excessive amount of time to feed into position - usually around .5 seconds but sometimes 2-3 seconds. Obviously if you are slow firing, you may not see it. But during any time of moderate rapid fire, this will cause issues.

I haven't had an issue with G17/19 ETS magazines and I think this is because the polymer is slicker than the Magpul mags.

And at first I sidelined the plastic aftermarket mags for training only, then just loaded them up with brass for a rainy day and put them in an ammo can and broke out more OEMs for training. Aftermarket mags were worth the try when you could get them on sale for $12 and OEMs were $25, however I can get OEMs for $19 and aftermarkets are now $15, it's no longer the case (especially with the issues I have with Magpul mags).

I really liked ETS 22rd mags and they have been great. But with OEM 19 / 24 rd mags, they are becoming less and less novel.

TangoUniform
11-12-18, 11:17
What are the internal changes you're talking about? I'm aware of the little notch on the breech face and the lack of half moon cutout on the front strap. Is there anything else?

Want to know the same. Any input?

turnburglar
11-14-18, 01:44
I would never make this mistake:

But Im really surpised that Glock chooses to name a 9mm gun the '45'. Even though 45ACP wont chamber or even fit 9mm mags.... it just seems hokey.

RHINOWSO
11-14-18, 20:58
I would never make this mistake:

But Im really surpised that Glock chooses to name a 9mm gun the '45'. Even though 45ACP wont chamber or even fit 9mm mags.... it just seems hokey.

Hey the Glock 40 is 10MM. FoTAY

MountainRaven
11-14-18, 23:15
Hey the Glock 40 is 10MM. FoTAY

I don't understand the objection.

The Glock 22 isn't 22.

The Glock 25 isn't 25.

The Glock 32 isn't 32.

The Glock 38 isn't 38.

The Glock 40 isn't 40.

The Glock 41 isn't 41.

The Glock 44 probably isn't 44.

Yet the Glock 45 shouldn't be 9mm. :blink:

Bravo Sierra
11-15-18, 13:30
I have run Magpul mags in all three of my 19X's and both G45, not a single issue with any of them. Several thousand rounds multiple weights and brands. My magpul mags are older ones as well, and I know there were some issues with weak springs in older ones. Weak springs would cause the issues you have had. I had three brand new G23 mags that wouldn't lock the slide when empty. Replaced the springs and they worked perfectly. I would recommend contacting magpul and I would imagine they would replace them for you.

I have no experience with the ETS mags, so I can't offer any information.

TXPO
You have 3 19x's and 2 g45's? Im not knocking you at all, but why?

MountainRaven
11-15-18, 15:27

Why not?

There was one member on here who posted at one time, IIRC, that he had more than a dozen Gen3 and Gen4 G19s.

ETA: There was at least one other member who talked about buying and putting away a Colt 6920 and/or G19 whenever they had the money just laying around for them. I believe that Chuck Pressburg once said that his gun safe(s) resemble an arms room laden with mostly identical 9mm Glocks and mostly identical ARs.

RHINOWSO
11-15-18, 15:27

Why has nothing to do with it. ;)

RHINOWSO
11-15-18, 15:28
I don't understand the objection.

The Glock 22 isn't 22.

The Glock 25 isn't 25.

The Glock 32 isn't 32.

The Glock 38 isn't 38.

The Glock 40 isn't 40.

The Glock 41 isn't 41.

The Glock 44 probably isn't 44.

Yet the Glock 45 shouldn't be 9mm. :blink:
People gotta bitch about something .

Bravo Sierra
11-15-18, 18:06
Why has nothing to do with it. ;)
Yea, i agree if you got the cash and you want it, go for it. I just didnt know if there was some kind of testing going on. I have 9 Ar's and several types of Ak's. All different in either caliber or purpose, im not judging, just curious.

CoryCop25
12-22-18, 20:41
I had the G45 out a few times recently without issue but I haven't been using other than stock magazines. Monday I had to qualify a few officers so I brought some of my after market mags along. I used them all day and only had one failure to lock back on a Magpul GL21 and one on an ETS 22 rounder. No other malfunction types. Again the only ammo I used was American Eagle 147gr. and Federal HST 147gr.

The spring on the ETS magazine appears to be rusted.

seb5
12-23-18, 11:57
I had the G45 out a few times recently without issue but I haven't been using other than stock magazines. Monday I had to qualify a few officers so I brought some of my after market mags along. I used them all day and only had one failure to lock back on a Magpul GL21 and one on an ETS 22 rounder. No other malfunction types. Again the only ammo I used was American Eagle 147gr. and Federal HST 147gr.

The spring on the ETS magazine appears to be rusted.

Our first 30 came in and we started qualifying. Almost universal approval, from the small female that struggled with a 22 or 23 to the firearms instructors/SWAT guys. Definite increased scores as well. Have you received feedback yet from officers using it? Less expenisve ammo, increased scores, more capacity, it seems a win. By the way I asked the guys who buy aftermarket mags to let me know their experiences with them.

Mrgunsngear
12-25-18, 11:55
Why not?

There was one member on here who posted at one time, IIRC, that he had more than a dozen Gen3 and Gen4 G19s.

ETA: There was at least one other member who talked about buying and putting away a Colt 6920 and/or G19 whenever they had the money just laying around for them. I believe that Chuck Pressburg once said that his gun safe(s) resemble an arms room laden with mostly identical 9mm Glocks and mostly identical ARs.

If a 6920 goes below $700----I always buy one. I have no need for it but it's just a reflexive action at this point :cool:

CoryCop25
12-31-18, 21:31
Our first 30 came in and we started qualifying. Almost universal approval, from the small female that struggled with a 22 or 23 to the firearms instructors/SWAT guys. Definite increased scores as well. Have you received feedback yet from officers using it? Less expenisve ammo, increased scores, more capacity, it seems a win. By the way I asked the guys who buy aftermarket mags to let me know their experiences with them.

We Ordered 20 of them and only received 2 of them so far.
I got one and the Chief got one and we gave our old duty guns to the new hires. (we ran out of pistols so there was no need to buy new M&Ps)
I will be transitioning the entire department in April.
I scored a 299/300 and the Chief scored a 298/300 on our qualifications when we transitioned. I let everyone at work, that wanted to, shoot my G45 and have not had a single negative comment.

titsonritz
12-31-18, 22:21
If a 6920 goes below $700----I always buy one. I have no need for it but it's just a reflexive action at this point :cool:

No doubt, I bought a complete like new BCM lower for $200 a couple months ago, that was the last thing I need but could pass it up either.

Texaspoff
01-07-19, 09:32

The G45 is my duty pistol, and I always have at least one identical backup for it. The 19X's were purchased prior to the G45 and one was done in all black and used on duty. The other coyote one was a backup for it. The third 19X I picked up during a trade. The 19X's serve as range guns now when I am teaching and running classes, again I always have a back up for a primary tool.

FWIW I did sell off one the black one, and now have two Coyote 19Xs, and both G45's :rolleyes:

TXPO

ST911
01-07-19, 11:21
4000+ reached on my G45 yesterday, no malfunctions.

Texaspoff
01-07-19, 17:46
4000+ reached on my G45 yesterday, no malfunctions.

You're way ahead of me. My G45 only has around 2500. Now my 19X range gun has around 6 now, and just got a fresh new set of springs. They were working fine, I just believe in preventative maintenance. :smile:

TXPO

methical20
01-08-19, 12:15
@Texaspoff

When you replace springs, do you replace them at the given intervals or do you change all out at once?

CoryCop25
01-08-19, 18:27
@Texaspoff

When you replace springs, do you replace them at the given intervals or do you change all out at once?

Glock recommends (I’m an armorer) every 5000 rounds for double springs and 2500 rounds for Gen 1-3.

Texaspoff
01-10-19, 15:22
@Texaspoff

I do them all at once. That way I don't have to remember which ones I did and which ones I didn't.

TXPO

Mrgunsngear
01-12-19, 20:24
https://youtu.be/qsZtDXLfOW4

I've been happy with my G45 so far; really like the shooting experience it offers (for a Glock).

RWH24
01-19-19, 16:36
I am drawing social security and did 30 years as a LEO. I never owned a GLOCK, UNTIL, the Gen 5's. I now have 17, 19, 19x and 45.
The 19x was the wife's 2018 Christmas present. She can rack the slide and, "It's Pretty!"
Sights changed and trigger shoe changed to APEX shoe. No pinch anymore.
Recently bought 2 Magpul mags and 2 KCI I have not tried yet.
My picks are the G45 and 19. The 17 may go live somewhere else.

MStarmer
01-22-19, 12:28
I just picked up my second Gen 5 gun, happens to be a G45. I hate to say but it out shoots my heavily modded guns for a quarter of the cost. Don't get wrong I still love my customs but out of the box I could live with it.

Walker_Texasranger
01-22-19, 15:22
I really enjoy my G45. It’s my favorite glock I own.

I recently saw some gen 3 USA Glocks at a dealer and was playing with one and forgot how good gen 3 triggers are. My g45 trigger def isn’t as nice, but very useable obviously.

CoryCop25
04-11-19, 07:55
I’ve been putting 200-300 rounds a week through my G45 since October.
Used it this week Monday through Wednesday for department firearms training and transition training.
Zero malfunctions with any of the 20 guns.
And interestingly enough, my G45 now functions with the ETS mags without issue.