PDA

View Full Version : $600 AR15 any good?

mykdee
11-09-18, 20:41
So I was at Cabelas today looking at their used AR's and ended up going home with a used AR15 with original box, 20 round mag, carry handle & streamlight TL3 flashlight. I paid $600 plus tax...Hopefully I got a good buy!

RHINOWSO
11-09-18, 20:46
Good luck. I don't think this is the forum for you.

vicious_cb
11-09-18, 20:47
No, you didnt...

T2C
11-09-18, 20:51
That would depend on what you bought.

26 Inf
11-09-18, 20:59
So I was at Cabelas today looking at their used AR's and ended up going home with a used AR15 with original box, 20 round mag, carry handle & streamlight TL3 flashlight. I paid $600 plus tax...Hopefully I got a good buy!

My experience at the closest Cabela's to me is that they are fairly proud of their used guns, maybe not as proud as some gun stores I've been in, but pretty close.

Based on that, I reckon you got a used AR worth $600.00 in today's market. You really won't know until you shoot it for a couple hundred rounds to see it's function and accuracy.

Although if you told us the make and model plus condition somebody might give a knowledgeable response.

vicious_cb
11-09-18, 21:16
That would depend on what you bought.

Even if you get a good brand, who knows what the previous owner did to it. Maybe they rammed a steel cleaning rod down the muzzle, who knows?

In the current market there is absolutely NO reason to buy used.

WillBrink
11-09-18, 21:20

You didn't say what brand it was so....No doubt, depends on which used AR you got. Could be a great used $600 AR or a POS.

mykdee
11-09-18, 21:23
This went south quick, it was a joke guys... I figured you would see my Avatar and at least assume I knew a little bit about AR's!

I picked up a new in the box unfired Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement roll marked AR. It came with a 30 round Colt mag, 20 round Colt mag and Streamlight TL3 and yes I paid $600 plus tax! I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough!!!!

I know quite a bit about AR's as I am a part time gunsmith in AZ, but what I don't know much about is posting pics on here!!!

WillBrink
11-09-18, 21:27
This went south quick, it was a joke guys... I figured you would see my Avatar and at least assume I knew a little bit about AR's!

I picked up a new in the box unfired Colt LE6920 Law Enforcement roll marked AR. It came with a 30 round Colt mag, 20 round Colt mag and Streamlight TL3 and yes I paid $600 plus tax! I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough!!!!

I know quite a bit about AR's as I am a part time gunsmith in AZ, but what I don't know much about is posting pics on here!!!

Your joke fell dead flat but that sounds like a damn good deal to me as a non expert. I'd buy 3 at that price!

ALCOAR
11-09-18, 21:29
While this thread belongs in GD, I think it's worth noting that this is the second NIB rifle I've seen sold at a Cabela's used gun rack for an unbelievable low price in the past week. The other was MAK90 NIB in the wrap, all accs. for $399.

If you got a NIB 6920 model with the carry handle for $600 than that is about the same type of deal as the Norinco. Thinking I might go check out my local Cabela's this weekend.

mykdee
11-09-18, 21:39

ALCOAR
11-09-18, 21:42
Dang you stole that thing :D

I would have tripped over myself to get a blue box carry handle 6920 NIB for $600.

mykdee
11-09-18, 22:05
Dang you stole that thing :D

I would have tripped over myself to get a blue box carry handle 6920 NIB for $600.

They were asking $799 and at first I decided too pass on it, which even at that price was a good deal. Before we left I thought it would not hurt to ask if there was any room on the price, the guy said let me look at the numbers. He then told me they paid $400 for it, and before I could even think about it I spouted out I would give them $600! He obviously said yes, I could not be happier!!

RHINOWSO
11-09-18, 22:20
Facebook attention whoring.

Your thread, it's just facebook type attention whoring.

ALCOAR
11-09-18, 22:30
In my personal valuation, you doubled your money the moment they took your money. I think fair market value at the moment in salad says is $1200-1400. I'd have bitten at $799 like a fool not knowing they haggled.

The blue box Colts were from a different time at Colt. Personally speaking, I'd pay $1200 for a carry handle 6920 vs. $900-1000 for a current 6920 easily. You just don't see those come up very often anymore, let alone at that price.

Confused!?

If you compared that blue box with a current model 6920 then this thread would belong in this particular sub forum for example. However because your simply showing off a new rifle, it's not a technical thread, or topic, and belongs in General Discussion imo.

mykdee
11-09-18, 22:35
Your thread, it's just facebook type attention whoring.

Its called a joke...many of you guys need to calm down and laugh once in a while!! The point of my post was to show that every once in a while we can find great deals on great rifles!

Way to serious on this site sometimes....the funniest part is that most of you on here have no idea what it really takes to use one of these firearms in real situations, yet you act like you know what is best for said combat or real use!

Calm down...mall ninjas!

Arik
11-09-18, 23:54
Even if you get a good brand, who knows what the previous owner did to it. Maybe they rammed a steel cleaning rod down the muzzle, who knows?

In the current market there is absolutely NO reason to buy used.I always buy used and mostly police trade ins. Half the price...at least. In 20 years I haven't had a problem. HKs and older Sigs under $400. Severall Glocks just under $300. The last 6920 was a little over $500. I buy used if I can help it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
11-10-18, 00:32
Assuming you this isn't a late night troll post, you did well. I probably need to stop by there more often and see what's happening.

HeruMew
11-10-18, 00:53
Its called a joke...many of you guys need to calm down and laugh once in a while!! The point of my post was to show that every once in a while we can find great deals on great rifles!

Way to serious on this site sometimes....the funniest part is that most of you on here have no idea what it really takes to use one of these firearms in real situations, yet you act like you know what is best for said combat or real use!

Calm down...mall ninjas!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/c887925485cb768c8f86135ec7bfbac9/tenor.gif?itemid=4574646

SeriousStudent
11-10-18, 01:04
It all depends on the Cabela's. I live within walking distance of one in Texas. I stole an old Winchester Model 70 in .223 for $200 cash.

But I have also seen beat up rifles for more than the cost of one NIB. The prices at the Waco Cabela's are always high on their used guns.

But I got a S&W 640 in really nice shape for $300 here. A Winchester Model 12 shotgun made in 1928 was $300.

It all depends.

mykdee
11-10-18, 07:45
Assuming you this isn't a late night troll post, you did well. I probably need to stop by there more often and see what's happening.

100% true story. Its not often you can find deals at Cabelas but every once in a while you can get lucky! Also remember, everything in the gun library is usually negotiable.

I always buy used and mostly police trade ins. Half the price...at least. In 20 years I haven't had a problem. HKs and older Sigs under $400. Severall Glocks just under $300. The last 6920 was a little over $500. I buy used if I can help it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I try to buy used most of the time also, I actually went into Cabelas yesterday to look for a used Glock 19 but every used one they had was $499 or higher!

That's ok though, I think I left with a better firearm!

Obviously that post is not meant for everyone on this site, but definitely for some. You all know who you are!

ABNAK
11-10-18, 08:05
While this thread belongs in GD, I think it's worth noting that this is the second NIB rifle I've seen sold at a Cabela's used gun rack for an unbelievable low price in the past week. The other was MAK90 NIB in the wrap, all accs. for $399.

If you got a NIB 6920 model with the carry handle for $600 than that is about the same type of deal as the Norinco. Thinking I might go check out my local Cabela's this weekend.

WTF? :blink:

Hell, too bad I don't have a Cabela's near me. $600 NIB 6920's and $399 MAK-90's would cause my CC to melt!

ruckusjuice
11-10-18, 08:24
The other was MAK90 NIB in the wrap, all accs. for $399.

I would have probably dislocated my shoulder with how fast I would have reached for my wallet to pay for that.

OP, you basically stole that thing. Congratulations!

JediGuy
11-10-18, 08:59
I have never seen any kind of deal like that up here... Great find. Best I got was a NIB pistol that had been sent back after the out of state buyer failed background. Cabela’s tends to be difficult about their prices around me.

kirkland
11-10-18, 12:44

Calm down...mall ninjas!

Haha... This times a million! This forum can be a little... stiff sometimes. Hey nice deal on the Colt! My first one was a blue box carry handle/side sling era and it's still running like a sewing maching after years of abuse!

mykdee
11-10-18, 13:40
Took her out this morning, ran about 150 rounds total through her with absolutely no problems.

We were out shooting longer distances with our other rifles, rough pace count of 675 yards from 2 different people, for those that know pace count, give or take a few yards. I took 30 shots with my Colt with a TA31 mounted on it, including the shots that I took to figure out point of aim. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised!!!

***Shooting prone off a bag***
Here is the steel target I was shooting at. 12”x15” target. I was using Federal 55 grain .223. I started with a clean Target and those are all of my shots from the 30 I shot at it.

arptsprt
11-10-18, 18:02
Hell of a deal... Lucky. Used? Doesn’t look like it. How used was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mykdee
11-10-18, 19:19
Hell of a deal... Lucky. Used? Doesn’t look like it. How used was it?

I don’t think it had even been fired other than from the factory!

WillBrink
11-11-18, 08:00
It all depends on the Cabela's. I live within walking distance of one in Texas. I stole an old Winchester Model 70 in .223 for $200 cash.

But I have also seen beat up rifles for more than the cost of one NIB. The prices at the Waco Cabela's are always high on their used guns.

But I got a S&W 640 in really nice shape for $300 here. A Winchester Model 12 shotgun made in 1928 was $300.

It all depends.

Prices by me in FL suck. Not Gander Mountain bad, but bad.

everready73
11-11-18, 08:12
It is weird how places like Cabela's price the guns. I honestly think it depends who was working that day and how knowledgeable they are on the guns they are buying for the store. I stopped into the newer local Gander world the other day by where I live. They had a Glock 19 gen 4 in the used rack for $499. Right beside it they had a 17 Gen 4 for $319.99 . Both in like new condition

ST911
11-11-18, 09:28
It is weird how places like Cabela's price the guns.

Employees echo that sentiment. When the process was explained to me, portions were arbitrary, nonsensical, and rife with shenanigans. Despite corporate guidance.

MorphCross
11-11-18, 11:46
Employees echo that sentiment. When the process was explained to me, portions were arbitrary, nonsensical, and rife with shenanigans. Despite corporate guidance.

Difference between "best practices" vs. Policies and procedures? Pretty common in businesses that center around general consumer interactions.

Jammer Six
11-11-18, 17:10

I'd like to hear that explanation, please. I've wondered about Cabela's pricing. What do you remember of it?

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-12-18, 08:35
I worked part time at Cabela's a few years ago. One of the schemes that takes place by employees is a customer will bring a gun in looking to trade or sell. The employee helping the customer wants the gun for himself. He lowballs the trade offer, way low, and gives the "I'm sorry this is the best Cabela's can do. Tell you what, since the store can't offer you any more, here's my phone number, I'll give you $XXX for it." However, every once in a while, a customer will accept that lowball offer from the store, so once the gun hits the shelf, the store's markup percentage is applied to it, they don't price them at market value.

It's against Cabela's policy for employees to try to buy guns in a private sale from customers looking to sell or trade, but it happens. That's how you get $399 MAK 90s and $600 6920s. At the Cabela's I worked at, the Gun Library was who handled buying used and taking trades and if the manager was off that day, you had free reign to make lowball offers and ask the customer to sell it to you directly. I was just a lowly gun counter employee but I know of several times my coworkers in the gun library would make private deals with customers and get some awesome guns for next to nothing.

Maharlika75
11-28-18, 12:43
Nice work

TMS951
11-28-18, 13:18

Umm, a brand? a model? anything? I mean you could have made out, you could have got screwed. How the hell do we know, if we don't know what you got?

BuzzinSATX
11-28-18, 13:18
Some of the posts in this thread remind me of classic Liberal attitudes.

Assumptions without basis... prejudices without facts

On the other hand, some posters showed reserved judgement, asked questions, and didn’t slam the OP for no reason.

Okay...flame away...