PDA

View Full Version : Vltor MUR (Modular Upper Receiver)

mlin
11-01-08, 17:39
Is there any real advantage of Vltor MUR over the standard AR upper?

I bought a new Noveske N4 light (low profile) carbine and surprised that Noveske installed a MUR on my carbine, instead of standard AR upper that was shown on it's website.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-01-08, 22:16
it doesnt get any better than a surprise like that. i believe there is also a locking device to secure the handguards to the upper, similar to the LT keeper.

enjoy the new rifle! i wish i had one of the new ones, wonder if Noveske would do a retro-fit for a fee?

Adam
11-01-08, 22:19
It's reinforced/thicker in several critical areas making the upper much more rigid. This is a great thing for precision shooting but I am not sure it's much of an advantage on a general purpose carbine.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-01-08, 22:25
my precision build is on a VIS, because i figured it would be very rigid.

i'm really impressed by the quality of Vltor's uppers, i'd like a MUR on a GP carbine just because. even if its of limited utility, its still cool!

mlin
11-01-08, 23:31
saw a couple today like that !
I guess they are how he is building them now ??

to me they are nice uppers for sure :)

I just revisit Noveske website and find that they quietly added this in the description:

Low-Profile Configuration
--Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard

I guess this make it official that they are using Vltor MUR for the new production of "low profile" carbine. :D Definitely no compliant for me. Same price with upgraded upper and a free Noveske Khaki Hat.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-02-08, 00:10
can you post a picture please? i have yet to see one of the new spec N4s

i might need to email Noveske and ask if it would be possible to retro fit my low profile recce N4. usually i'd just make this a thin excuse to get a whole new upper, but i really cant afford it and honestly i don't need to start a new project. already have too many of those :p

Honu
11-02-08, 00:24
if ya go here SGC does a good job with photos :)
http://sgcusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=85_98&products_id=724
I wont post em here cause I am a photog :) and I know some dont like their images reposted without permission :)

but they have nice photos for sure :)

Parabellum9x19mm
11-02-08, 01:00
thanks.

/drool

mlin
11-02-08, 01:05

i might need to email Noveske and ask if it would be possible to retro fit my low profile recce N4. usually i'd just make this a thin excuse to get a whole new upper, but i really cant afford it and honestly i don't need to start a new project. already have too many of those :p

Parabellum9x19mm,

My N4 is still with my local FFL dealer. I went there to do FFL transfer this morning. I am in California and need to wait another 10 days before I can bring it home. I'll take some photos when it's in my possession.

Meanwhile, Honu points out the sgc website. Beside the SureFire hider, it looks extactly the same as mine. Mine has a Vortex.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-02-08, 01:12
i like the Vortecies. no sound suppressors where i live, so the SF or AAC don't interest me much.

nice to get such a weapon in kaliforniastan. are you LEO? in any case, enjoy the carbine. i'm sure it will serve you well. :D

CLHC
11-02-08, 01:30
I bought a new Noveske N4 light (low profile) carbine and surprised that Noveske installed a MUR on my carbine, instead of standard AR upper that was shown on it's website.
That's awesome! :cool:

wild_wild_wes
11-02-08, 11:46
Low-Profile Configuration
--Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard

I wished Vltor had not done this.

They took a bunch of strengthening material away from the area that needs it the most, just so a handguard that not everybody uses will fit.

LaRue should have changed his anti-rotation device instead.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-02-08, 13:20
LaRue should have changed his anti-rotation device instead.

huh? i'm totally confused

what does LaRue's keeper device have to do with the MUR/SWS/Noveske keeper? how would LaRue changing his design have anything to do with what Vltor does?

Todd.K
11-02-08, 13:41
We use the original dimension MUR, current Vltor MUR's are relieved at the front to allow the Troy, LaRue and Daniel Defence Lite rails to work.

We use a pin with corresponding holes in the MUR and handguard for the "anti-rotation"
It is completely unnecessary with the SWS system but people asked for it.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-02-08, 13:47
thanks again for the straight dope, Todd.

i see what Wes was getting at now.

i've always thought the handguard anti-rotational devices were unnecessary in general...more of a bragging rights thing, but why do you say is it unnecessary with the SWS rail specifically? is it just because the interface is already secure enough on its own?

Todd.K
11-02-08, 16:50
The SWS rail bolts directly to the barrel nut, to rotate it would take over 35 ft lbs of torque.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 19:18
The SWS rail bolts directly to the barrel nut, to rotate it would take over 35 ft lbs of torque.

Aren't the SWS guards designed specifically for a receiver tap anti rotation device?

tango-papa
11-03-08, 00:50
We use the original dimension MUR, current Vltor MUR's are relieved at the front to allow the Troy, LaRue and Daniel Defence Lite rails to work.

We use a pin with corresponding holes in the MUR and handguard for the "anti-rotation"
It is completely unnecessary with the SWS system but people asked for it.

It's the original dimension MUR and it's forged? :D

Is this upper available as an "upgrade-option" for the following:
1. N4 Light Recce Basic 16" Upper (u-lrb-556)
2. N4 Light Recce Basic 16" (r-lrb-556)

Oooh, please say yes...

Thanks,
~tp

Stickman
11-03-08, 08:39

Here you go.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/IMG_0918%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

El Mac
11-03-08, 08:42
What barrel length is that one Stick?

C4IGrant
11-03-08, 09:06
Is there any real advantage of Vltor MUR over the standard AR upper?

Yes. It is square and true. It is also stronger in certain areas.

C4

Todd.K
11-03-08, 15:14
You certainly can get the MUR on the Basic if you want to upgrade.

All the SWS rails come with the hole, other than our spec MUR's you would have to drill the corresponding hole in the upper to use a pin.

Stick has a picture of the 10.5" Light CQB there...

bkb0000
11-03-08, 16:12

All the SWS rails come with the hole, other than our spec MUR's you would have to drill the corresponding hole in the upper to use a pin.

So Noveske MURs are already tapped for the SWS...? That's bad ass.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-03-08, 22:10
thanks for the pic, Stick. nice one!!!! i like the looks of the Bobro mount. hell, i like the looks of everything in that picture :cool:

tango-papa
11-04-08, 00:23

Very cool - thanks.

~tp

Todd.K
11-04-08, 09:09
The MUR we sell as a part is the current standard MUR, the one we use to build has the hole for pinning the SWS rail to the receiver.

wild_wild_wes
11-04-08, 22:08
How many versions of the MUR are out there?

chadbag
11-04-08, 22:25
How many versions of the MUR are out there?

There are two models

MUR-1A -- this has the forward assist
MUR-1S -- this does not

They are currently forged -- previously the same models were billet

Chad

gt5966b
11-05-08, 12:59
Here you go.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Noveske/IMG_0918%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stick - how is that rear sling swivel attached to the reciever? I don't recognize the endplate / attachment point.

wild_wild_wes
11-08-08, 00:30
There are two models

MUR-1A -- this has the forward assist
MUR-1S -- this does not

The are currently forged -- previously the same models were billet

Chad

What about this:
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0008_14.jpg

Notice in the top MSTN pic the MUR has been milled away at the front, to accomodate the anti-rotation device on the LaRue handguard; this cut is absent in the Stickman pic below.

So: are there two versions of the MUR?

chadbag
11-08-08, 00:33
What about this:
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0008_14.jpg

Notice in the top MSTN pic the MUR has been milled away at the front, to accomodate the anti-rotation device on the LaRue handguard; this cut is absent in the Stickman pic below.

So: are there two versions of the MUR?

As I said, previous versions were billet receivers (and were the ones without the milling in the front) and the current versions are forged (and these ones were updated to accommodate rail systems like you mentioned).

There are not "two" versions existing at the same time. Rather, when they changed the MUR-1A (same part number) from billet to forged, they also made minor changes in the milling.

Todd.K
11-08-08, 08:31
The MUR we use in rifles and uppers is different than the retail MUR's.

Ours does not have relief cut for different rails as we only need it to fit the SWS. Ours also has a hole for the anti-rotation pin with the SWS rail, above the gas tube.

No.6
11-08-08, 09:29
This rifle is definitely on my "to-do" list. Just as long as the planets align, money is in the bank, Noveske get's caught up on the back orders and no one can find a pen to sign the AWB II with, all before I can get it in my dirty little hands. It's going to be a long nightmare....

H2O MAN
11-08-08, 09:55

Ours does not have relief cut for different rails as we only need it to fit the SWS. Ours also has a hole for the anti-rotation pin with the SWS rail, above the gas tube.

PM sent :)

wild_wild_wes
11-08-08, 16:41

So there ARE two versions of the new forged recievers.