PDA

View Full Version : installing the larue rail

ballsout
11-01-08, 17:40
Yes another rail installation question, but i searched and haven't found old posts from this. There is the 3 snugs and align the hole up or use a torque wrench. I'm not sure how the 3 snugs works because how the heck do you measure a snug. 2nd if I were to use a torque wrench what was the ft lbs that I should use. I think I remember seeing 40-80lbs but i am not 100% certain.

Also does anybody have a 1/8" roll pin punch sitting around that I may borrow or buy? Shipping to get one of these is about $10 online. Couldn't find one at the local Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm trying to install this magpul enhanced trigger guard, any other ideas?

supersix4
11-01-08, 18:15
not sure is this is allowed here... but here is a link to the thread about this on arfcom

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Robb Jensen
11-01-08, 18:23
You only have to torque three times if using a virgin receiver. When changing types of barrel nuts like OEM to LaRue bbl nuts I usually torque more than once since the materials are different.

On barrel nut, barrel, receiver combos that are making it hard to get it to torque below 80ft lbs I torque many times. I slowly increase the amount of torque 5-10ft lbs at a time. I also add a lot of moly grease (I use Brownells Action Lube) before doing that. If that doesn't work I try another barrel nut or another receiver (if doing a brand new build). If another barrel nut and or receiver isn't an option you can lap the front of the receiver with a tool from Brownells and lapping compound. I've had good success with barrel nut shims from www.ar15barrels.com as well.

ballsout
11-01-08, 18:44
I don't think that answered what snugging up 3 times means or how whats the lbs range I want to be in when installing this thing.

ballsout
11-02-08, 01:22
your local hardware store WILL have a punch set. ask someone to drag you all over the store, because he has no idea where they are or even what they are, until he finally calls his manager, who he should have called to begin with.

I got my punch set at WALMART, of all places. home depot will have them.

Well they had punch sets. But not ROLL pin punch ones. Trying to install magpul trigger guard and don't want to smash the thing in with regular punch.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 01:53
Well they had punch sets. But not ROLL pin punch ones. Trying to install magpul trigger guard and don't want to smash the thing in with regular punch.

ah.. gotcha. yea, the walmart set does drift off if you're not careful. i have an actual roll pin set buried somewhere in storage (along with everything else i "own"), so i got the walmart set out of urgent need, now that i recall. have you tried an actual hardware store? even the chain hardware stores usually have better shit than Home Desperation.

ballsout
11-02-08, 02:07
ah.. gotcha. yea, the walmart set does drift off if you're not careful. i have an actual roll pin set buried somewhere in storage (along with everything else i "own"), so i got the walmart set out of urgent need, now that i recall. have you tried an actual hardware store? even the chain hardware stores usually have better shit than Home Desperation.

no joke. i'll try to find a corner hardware store somewhere.