really looking forward to seeing this

not usually a fan of colorized stuff but this looks like it might be OK
BUT the way they redid the speed and and stuff is amazing

nice to see he(Peter Jackson) did it for free to which is rare these days sadly

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45910189

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7905466/

caporider
11-12-18, 16:34
Looks amazing, gonna try to find a screening near me. My 14yo son is fascinated by WWI so this will be a good father-son thing.

Honu
12-15-18, 04:51
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/peter-jackson-wwi-footage-modern-3d-color-they-shall-not-grow-old-1202027263/

info on the bottom of this article and link to where its showing etc..

not sure the dates are going to work for me sadly :( going to try though

Firefly
12-15-18, 07:22
One way or another, you can stream it. It's pretty eerie to see the "stop motion" Buster Keaton style images give way to fluidity and color. It humanizes history beyond propaganda.

I have a love hate on We Were Soldiers. The book was great but the movie was and is off-putting to me. My first gripe was how everything looks like a big cartoon. It looks like a comic book or something. So vibrant. I had this picture of Platoon where everything was so grimy, dull, and grungy.

I was then corrected by a person, now since passed, who had seen the film when it first came out and was of that Early Vietnam War era. Vietnam did and does indeed have bright sunshiney days and the rifles were new. The OD fatigues were poplin and bright green. Nobody had subdued patches or name tapes. White T shirts were very much worn. And the soldiers at the beginning were not at all unlike the professional soldiers of today. Razor creases, starched everything, can do attitude. The BS attitudes didn't come until later.

So...I say that to say this. There's how things were and there's what people choose to see because of the limitations of the time.

With our technology, we should be documenting everything. Good, bad, and ugly.

flenna
12-15-18, 07:22
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/peter-jackson-wwi-footage-modern-3d-color-they-shall-not-grow-old-1202027263/

info on the bottom of this article and link to where its showing etc..

not sure the dates are going to work for me sadly :( going to try though

Thanks, I just ordered my tickets. I was surprised it being shown locally.

Arik
12-15-18, 07:26
Thought about posting this here last month but didn't think it would be received well. Anyway, it's worth seeing

ABNAK
12-15-18, 08:17
One way or another, you can stream it. It's pretty eerie to see the "stop motion" Buster Keaton style images give way to fluidity and color. It humanizes history beyond propaganda.

I have a love hate on We Were Soldiers. The book was great but the movie was and is off-putting to me. My first gripe was how everything looks like a big cartoon. It looks like a comic book or something. So vibrant. I had this picture of Platoon where everything was so grimy, dull, and grungy.

I was then corrected by a person, now since passed, who had seen the film when it first came out and was of that Early Vietnam War era. Vietnam did and does indeed have bright sunshiney days and the rifles were new. The OD fatigues were poplin and bright green. Nobody had subdued patches or name tapes. White T shirts were very much worn. And the soldiers at the beginning were not at all unlike the professional soldiers of today. Razor creases, starched everything, can do attitude. The BS attitudes didn't come until later.

So...I say that to say this. There's how things were and there's what people choose to see because of the limitations of the time.

They also left out the second, more costly part of the Ia Drang fight: LZ Albany. Of course that would have made it a 5 hour movie, so there's that.

EDIT: just looked at the preview on the link Honu posted. What they did is incredible! Kind of reminds me of the now-colorized Civil War pics, only with fluid (not jerky) motions the advent of motion pictures gave us over the Civil War by the time WWI had started.

Tx_Aggie
12-15-18, 10:29

My Father flew Hueys in Vietnam, and he would agree with the bolded statement above.

And I agree, "They Shall Not Grow Old" and films like it are incredible tools for humanizing history and giving at least a small glimpse of what those who lived it actually experienced. Really powerful stuff.

Firefly
12-15-18, 10:33
I would LOVE to have had a 4 hour Gods and Generals style We Were Soldiers with LZ Albany. No wives or montages. Just hardcore, BHD style "we in the shit now" film of how protracted that battle really was. Everybody earned their stripes that day.

Per colorization and modernizing, I wish they'd do this with Birth of a Nation simply because in the battle scenes they used actual civil war surplus weapons and uniforms and used live ammo. Several veterans on both sides actually showed up as extras.

It is perhaps our only filmed glimpse into that war despite all the controversy surrounding it.

pinzgauer
12-15-18, 17:08
WWS the book and the movie were very hard for me to take as the strategic decisions represent the worst of VN era leadership... "We gotta get this war started... Drop those guys here (hits the map with a 1960s style chalkboard pointer)"

Never mind it was bad ground, with large, regular enemy forces close by, due to bad/no Intel.

I had friends sweating the draft. Gold star babysitters. Barely missed the draft myself. But with a son wearing green, and many more friend's kids doing the same, that's the hardest aspect. I expect brilliance by our generals. Or at least sound tactics and not incompetence. It's not like Dien Bien Phu had faded from memory.

Firefly
12-15-18, 18:16
I was told once that "It don't mean nothing" and "They may as well have just shot him at home" was a catch phrase for a reason.

flenna
12-18-18, 14:33
We saw this last night and it was very good. The restoration and modernization of the old films was fantastic. I highly recommend seeing this if you are a history buff.

Honu
12-18-18, 16:11
We saw this last night and it was very good. The restoration and modernization of the old films was fantastic. I highly recommend seeing this if you are a history buff.

good to hear :) I cant wait to see it sadly the theater dates do not work but for sure this will be a get for the collection movie :) I am more a WWII buff but this might lead me into learning more about WWI I started watching a bit more on it since I saw this come out

donlapalma
01-22-19, 10:00
I saw it last night. Amazing film. The story is narrated through the veterans' first-hand accounts recorded by the BBC decades ago. The film restoration is incredible. After the credits, there is a 30 minute behind-the-scenes which covers some of the techniques used for colorization, soundtrack, audio, etc. Truly an achievement. Go see it.

sundance435
01-22-19, 12:51
I've always wondered with old "colorized" photos and clips - how do they know the colors are accurate? Is there something with the saturation in them that a program can analyze for color accuracy/pigment?

TexHill
01-22-19, 13:09
I've always wondered with old "colorized" photos and clips - how do they know the colors are accurate? Is there something with the saturation in them that a program can analyze for color accuracy/pigment?

For this film they used original uniforms from the period in order to get the uniform colors correct. They also traveled to the various locations and battlegrounds in order to match the color of the soil and vegetation.

Peter Jackson is a huge WWI buff and owns a collection of original uniforms from the war as well as several WWI artillery pieces.

DJK
01-22-19, 13:29
For this film they used original uniforms from the period in order to get the uniform colors correct. They also traveled to the various locations and battlegrounds in order to match the color of the soil and vegetation.

Peter Jackson is a huge WWI buff and owns a collection of original uniforms from the war as well as several WWI artillery pieces.

He got almost everything correct. From IMDb:

"Several shots of tanks appear in the film, both Mark V (Mark Five) and Mark V* (Mark Five Star). They have been coloured green. In reality, tanks of these types were painted "a neutral brown colour". See the article by the British Tank Museum which states that. "Surrendering to the inevitable, towards the end of 1916 it was ordered that the tanks should be painted in a 'neutral brown colour' all over." The staff at the Museum told me they were surprised that the filmmakers didn't consult them."

donlapalma
01-22-19, 14:58

I was cracking up when he was talking about what they did for the artillery sounds and he said something like "Well I just happen to have two artillery pieces - as one should - and used those to make the recordings." :cool:

flenna
01-22-19, 17:41
I was cracking up when he was talking about what they did for the artillery sounds and he said something like "Well I just happen to have two artillery pieces - as one should - and used those to make the recordings." :cool:

Yeah, I laughed out loud at that, too.

OldState
01-22-19, 19:29
Outstanding movie. I saw it back in December and almost went again for the bonus showing last night. The 3D is great and I almost said no to it as I usually gate 3D.

Supposedly they gave a copy to every high school in Great Britain

Firefly
01-22-19, 19:33
Pete Jackson is legit. His first film was Bad Taste. He handmade all the guns for that movie. He got gun magazines, went to his garage, and made 1:1 scale replicas of UZIs and AKs

OldState
01-22-19, 20:23
Pete Jackson is legit. His first film was Bad Taste. He handmade all the guns for that movie. He got gun magazines, went to his garage, and made 1:1 scale replicas of UZIs and AKs

He is but he is a weird dude. All sloppy and walking around barefoot. He reminds me of Rick Rubin

donlapalma
01-24-19, 12:23
Expanded release is on the way:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1030673-peter-jacksons-wwi-documentary-they-shall-not-grow-old-expanding

eightmillimeter
02-02-19, 16:47
Just went to this. Anyone can watch this and take something from it. A+

Dienekes
02-05-19, 17:33
My son called yesterday to say how impressed he was with the movie and the back story. I hope it shows somewhere within a 100 radius of me.

Next time he's home I think I'll let him shoot my 1917 dated Lee-Enfield #1 Mk. III*. Not only is it in pretty decent condition but something of a rare bird. Skennerton's book identified it as a "peddled scheme" rifle; somewhat cobbled together by an obscure firm Standard Small Arms-- aka "SSA". Apparently the government furnished receivers (only) to the firm which completed the rifles.

God knows what that rifle must have seen in its 102 years of existence.

Ned Christiansen
02-05-19, 17:49
Had it on order within a minute of finding out about it, did not regret it one bit.